NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-13-2007, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Default Vintage Basketball Pen/Pencil Box Scans Added!

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Hi-
I just found what appears to be an extremely early basketball, wooden pen/pencil box at an antique store in Yankton, SD. It shows a basketball scene with a peach basket visible (it appears to be on a pole without a backboard). It shows a large image of a single player on the right (with a large ball leaving his hand) and it shows 8 smaller players near a single basket and a referee (I am guessing he is a referee as he is wearing a hat).
The box itself is in rough shape as a portion of the court scene is missing and there are three ink stains including one on the large player's face. Also, the latch is missing.
I apologize for this teaser post as I will not be able to post a scan until I return home early Friday morning. In the interim, does any one have one of these or has any one seen one? Any idea on the date of issue, manufacturer, etc.? I researched the history of basketball a little and it appears that backboards were added in the late 1890s and that rims replaced peach baskets by 1910ish. Thank you very much for any help you might be able to provide, and I promise I will post a scan as soon as I return home.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

Old 12-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: CarltonHendricks

Sounds rough, but I'd get it anyway if reasonable. I've never heard of a basketball pencil box...I wish Rob LaHammer would read this, he's a big basketball collector, he would probably know. If I can find his email I'll shoot this link to him. I think Basketball is gonna go even bigger than it is so buy all you can...get a better condition one later...here's my Basketball pick ups from last National, -C
trophy 18" tall

Old 12-15-2007, 12:52 AM
Administrator

Hi-
As promised, here is a scan of the vintage basketball pen/pencil box I found this week. Thanks Carlton for your post (those are incredible early basketball pieces!). Any information regarding this box would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@meditech.com

Old 12-15-2007, 02:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: CarltonHendricks

OK, now I see your enthusiasm, that is a geat pencil box....have never seen it before. Yes even in that condition it's good to see it. Pencil boxes are neat, the baseball one I like is the players walking in a line with the bases hanging from a pole they carry, I remember seeing one for $300 once at an antiques show. I've seen tennis ones, and I think bicycle ones. Below is my only pencil box.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Thanks Carlton! Your football box looks great! It looks like these two were made by the same company, based on the scene and colors used. Do you know an approximate date of issue for your box? Based on my quick research thus far (based on the lack of backboard and the peach basket) it appears mine dates to ca. 1896. I am also curious if this is the earliest art depction of a basketball game? I also wonder what the earliest (non Naismith related) basketball artifacts exist today? Any other information folks could provide would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Alan
aelefson@hotmail.com
aelefson@meditech.com