NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Default Here's One I Haven't Seen Before.....Fake or Real?

Posted By: Dan Bretta

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180181577665

Old 12-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

If I have any questions about an item and I see it is being sold in Ohio, that is a HUGE red flag. Almost all of the fakes like this being produced are being done in Ohio.

Rhys

Old 12-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

I agree with Rhys... This eminates from Ohio, and look at the painfully low price it sold for.... about 3% of what a real one would be worth.

This seller also currently has a Christy Mathewson Tuxedo Tobacco Poster listed, of equal worth (or lack there of).

Old 12-04-2007, 11:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron M.

Super-fake. All of his advertising pieces (including the football related ones) are fake.

I like how he describes them as "old" in quotation marks. Hilarious fraud.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I think it's fake too...but what's the deal with Ohio? Is that where all these fakes originate?

Old 12-05-2007, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

Barry... Yes, a huge percentage of these bad pieces seem to eminate from Ohio. Somebody there is producing them and distributing them to dealers, flea markets, etc. in the area.

Many of these turn up on Ebay, and have been for what seems like a couple of years now. I know that the counterfeitors have taken images from the Halper catalogue (and other sources), and have skillfully reproduced them using a laser process.

Then they "age" the piece by leaving it outside, soil it, bend/crease it, etc. Some really look authentic over the computer... probably less so, when you see them live.

A few of the more common fakes are as follows...

* "Fan for a Fans" (esp. Cobb and Matty)
* Babe Ruth/Lou Gehrig Broadsides
* Negro League Broadsides
* Lucky Strike Trolley Signs
* Tuxedo Tobacco Displays with Mathewson
* Babe Ruth Ad Signs/Easel Backs (esp. Kaywoodie Tobacco)
* Ty Cobb Easel Backs like this one that inspired Dan's thread, as well as a more common Stall & Dean Glove Standee.

There are many more examples I can't think of right now, in case anyone else want to post a similar "heads-up" warning. The people producing these are scum, and fortunately seem to be realizing much lower prices than when these initially hit the market.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

I went to a flea market about 30-40 miles outisde of Columbus in 2005 and there was a guy set up there selling out of an old van with TONS of fake stuff like this. I just walked right on by and didn't say much but noticed he had a Babe Ruth candy wrapper (before these were known fakes), and I asked him where he got such a rare item. His reply was "I dont know man, I get so much stuff".

He had fake postcards of Yankee Stadium with the Ruth ova photo on it, fake photos mounted to old cardboard, fake advertising pieces, fake cards, EVERYTHING that you see on ebay. This was before it became so much of a problem and I so I just walked away. I am not sure if he is the creator or just the seller of the pieces but he had something to do with it. It looked like the guy was selling stuff and living out of his van but with the amount he has been making pretty regularly on ebay over the last 3-4 years, I am sure he could live out of a Bentley now.

Rhys

Old 12-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

I sure wish the FBI would go after these criminals the way they did with the autograph forgers, a la "Operation Bullpen". I guess it's not as big a business and not nearly as widespread...

But the image of this fool selling memorabilia out of his truck is giving me nausea. If he operated in that manner, you would think that enough people had contact with him, and that someone could identify him / turn him in.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

Ebay seller ACOFIND from Muncie, Indiana also sells fake and reproduction crap like this. He currently has on some of the items another poster listed. Last week, he sold some Mickey Mantle reprint cards and received GOOD money for them.

ACOFIND also lists and sells reproduction advertising signs and posters. I REALLY wish somebody would buy one of these fakes and have the FBI investigate.

David

Old 12-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

This one just ended on ebay for $153. http://tinyurl.com/2csxs7 1914 John Donaldson broadside which I hadn't seen before

The ending price suggests to me others had doubts as to its authenticity; can anyone give a definite opinion?

Max

Old 12-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Interesting Max...low price and newly framed.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Dan

What bothered me more were the low resolution photos. I was tempted to write the vendor and ask him to rip the backing off to see if there was (natural) aging to the piece, but decided I couldn't be bothered.

Max

Old 12-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Administrator

He does give a three day return...and you know the more I look at it I think this might be a real poster. Beach is a real town in North Dakota and would have been about the right size town to host a barnstorming squad like the All-Nations team. Wish I'd seen this before it ended as I probably would have taken a chance.