NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-31-2011, 10:25 AM
Matt Wieder

Default Gehrig Jersey in REA

Interesting information on the 1938 Gehrig Jersey in REA:
http://blog.robertedwardauctions.com/?p=399

Quote:
It was then graded A7 by Troy Kinunen, with A7 being the average grade of A9 and A5. It is now graded A7.
Quote:
Troy R. Kinunen agrees to purchase the 1938 Lou Gehrig jersey for the purchase price of $240,000 from [CONSIGNOR’S NAME REDACTED] on behalf of a third party.

I must admit I am confused as the letter included at the top of the post, seems to indicate the jersey has already been sold to a 3rd party and I don't see where it says that 3rd party is now the consignor of record to REA. I'm also confused about if Kinunen is the consignor of the lot, how he was the one providing the A7 grade to the jersey.

Last edited by Matt; 03-31-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:06 AM
J@RR0D

While I admittedly know little about auctions, is it saying that he will buy it for $240,000 unless bidding goes higher?
Old 03-31-2011, 12:47 PM

Default Gehrig jersey

The 1938 Lou Gehrig jersey was purchased by the original consignor several years ago with a MEARS A9 grade.

For the 2011 Spring REA auction, the consignor decided to consign the jersey to REA.

As is our practice, I requested to review the jersey on behalf of REA auctions. The review was completed by MEARS evaluator Dave Grob.

Upon his review, which was the first time he inspected the jersey, his original opinion was to issue the grade MEARS A5.

Although members of the MEARS staff have given grades that differ in the past, historically only by 1/2 or one point, this was the first instance such a wide difference occurred.

I made the final decision to include both opinions, (Bushing 9, Grob 5), average the grade, and provide both opinions in the final letter.

Since the consignor originally bought the jersey as a 9, he felt he had exposure since the jersey was being sold as a 7.

The letter that Rob Lifson posted on REA's blog was the document I offered the consignor taking full responsibility for the sale.

Currently, the jersey is still consigned under the original consignors name/contract, but due to the descrepancy of the grade, I am now responsible for the sale, (loss or profit) of the jersey in a second contract between myself and consignor.

REA auctions just wanted to bring that information to light so that all potential bidders were aware of all facts.

Regards,

Troy R. Kinunen/MEARS

Last edited by MEARSAUCTIONS; 03-31-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:17 PM
Matt Wieder

Still confused. Say the jersey sells at auction for $180k. Then, even though it was hammered to a winning bidder, you then buy it from the consignor at $240k and give it to the winning bidder? I guess the legal implications here of when the title changes hands is what has me confused. I understand what you are trying to do in principle and I solute REA for putting the cards on the table here.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:52 PM
Dave

Are there that many 1938 Lou Gehrig jerseys out there, that it matters whether it's an A5, and A7 or an A9?

Or not being familiar with this part of the hobby.........does the grading have more to do with the taggings and the provenence, then whether or not Lou (or said consignor) slid into 2nd base with the uniform on?
Old 03-31-2011, 05:41 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Are there that many 1938 Lou Gehrig jerseys out there, that it matters whether it's an A5, and A7 or an A9?

Or not being familiar with this part of the hobby.........does the grading have more to do with the taggings and the provenence, then whether or not Lou (or said consignor) slid into 2nd base with the uniform on?
I was thinking the exact same thing. Does a buyer, who has that kind of dough, really think of this is a A5 not an A8, who cares? It's a friggin' Lou Gehrig jersey. What are they gonna do, pass becuz of a grade, and wait around for an A7???

I too am confused by what Troy is saying by taking responsibility for it, what exactly does that mean? And if it means Troy promised the consigner a certain $ amount and then Troy gets more or less depending on the sale that sounds like what it is, he owns the jersey. Right?
Old 03-31-2011, 06:04 PM

Default Lou Gehrig

The auction contract remains in the original consignors name. The consignor, due to the change of grade from A9 to A7, wanted to be protected from any loss that might occur due to the grade change.

In this instance I agreed to accept any and all responsibilty in the final sale price. This second agreement was between the consignor and myself, to protect him from any potential loss.

I haven't purchased the jersey or exchanged money. The final selling price will determine if any monies is owed by myself to the consignor.

The jersey will sell in the REA auction, the high bidder will get the jersey at the final selling price.

Any shortfalls will be paid by myself to the consignor, and profits will be paid by the consignor to myself, thus the secondary contract/agreement.

Regards, Troy R. Kinunen/MEARS
Old 04-01-2011, 07:06 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

So what happens if it doesn't sell?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:15 AM
Brian T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
So what happens if it doesn't sell?
It has a starting bid (and reserve) of $50,000. Given the (relatively) low number compared to its last sale, I think it is a pretty safe bet that someone will bid at least $50k on it.

Kudos to both REA and MEARS for full disclosure and taking responsibility, respectively. (As an aside, I wish all the items that I have consigned had a guarantee against loss of value! That would be very cool indeed.)

Last edited by terjung; 04-01-2011 at 07:19 AM. Reason: typo