NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Matt Wieder

Default Interested eBay Bidding Pattern

What do y'all make of this bidding pattern? Card has no reserve and was recently up with a BIN of $2500 and no takers.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=140398124654

I can't understand why someone would bid like that, so I'm hoping someone out there who has such a strategy can explain it.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:42 PM
John

If legit, the bidder may be trying to discourage others from bidding, by making us think his maximum is difficult to overtake.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Jeff

Default max bid

I believe that is what shows up when someone keeps increasing their maximum bid after making the initial bid.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperguy View Post
I believe that is what shows up when someone keeps increasing their maximum bid after making the initial bid.
That is correct. For whatever reason, he has increased his maximum bid numerous times, but the system does not let him outbid himself.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Bob Pomilla

I suppose it's possible the bidder didn't see the earlier BIN?
Old 04-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

Humm my first thought was he was trying to make it look like the item might have started at a lower value and the 7 bids got it up high. Maybe each bid is $5 higher than the last. Just wanted others to think it was a highly contested item. I know when I see an item with 7 bids I assume their are multiple parties interested.

Always smart to check the bid history.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:42 AM
Scott S

Tough item, but the last sale of the identical card was in Mile High six months ago for just over $1000. Quite a nice flip, if the buyer and his seven bids are legit...
Old 04-13-2010, 10:47 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

is it possible that he kept bidding in a 'Reserve not met' situation? Maybe $2500 was the reserve.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Jim D

this guy has some nice items, he is a little pricey, but nice items none the less

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 04-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

I've bought T206's from this seller and I think he has bought from me and my brother before with no strange incidents. that bidding pattern is strange though. It looks like the bidder might be trying to give the impression that more than just he is bidding on the card....or that if someone else looks at the bid history and sees that pattern they will think for sure something fishy is going on and stay away from the auction. Either way I think it's a ploy being used by this bidder to scare otehr bidders off. I doubt it is a shill attemtp....it would be so blatant if it was I would laugh my a** off.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Clayton

I think the person doing the bidding just keeps convincing him/herself they really want the item and should place yet another higher bid.When I used to buy on ebay,I sometimes would "think" like this-but not to the extent of this bidder

Clayton