NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2013, 11:31 AM
nels0n aud.et

Default article on psa website

Just found this article on PSA website.

Anyone here know this collector ? Perhaps a member here on the board ? Amazing build a set like that in 8 month wow

http://www.psacard.com/articles/arti...id=4729&type=1
Old 03-07-2013, 11:46 AM
Manny
Banned

He doesn't have the Wagner or the Plank in the registry -- its 97.37% complete.

Not impressed.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:49 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
He doesn't have the Wagner or the Plank in the registry -- its 97.37% complete.

Not impressed.
And started with $200K... me too, not impressed.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hound View Post
And started with $200K... me too, not impressed.
To put such a set together so quickly would, of course, require the requisite funds. Strangely, I can't find his set on the registry.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Bi11..R0berts

He put the set together in 8 months and then promptly sold it? To each his own, enjoy the hobby as you like, but I don't get it. I like the thrill of the chase too, but like to retain my prizes for at least a little while. Oh, who am I kidding, I hate to sell!
Old 03-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Steve Birmingham

I don't get where the 8 months comes from. He bought his first one in 1987. Maybe 8 months for the serious push to complete it, but not 8 months overall.

It's really just checkbook collecting, which is fine if you're into that.

The things I could do with 200 thousand.......It'd be one H*** of a weekend

Steve B
Old 03-07-2013, 02:18 PM

Color me unimpressed also.

No Wagner.

No Plank.

Having a significant amount of funds to throw at the set and buying from large dealers and auction houses.

Sells when he gets it "completed" (I read it as got bored).

Woop de doo.

I am MUCH more impressed with stories on this board of people with average incomes and families taking years to put sets together with extra income when they have it.

I could win the lottery and put a COMPLETE T206 set together in a short amount of time also. The ONLY thing impressive about that would be is that I would make SURE I had a Wagner in the set (I know where one is hiding in a long time collection).

David
Old 03-07-2013, 02:45 PM
pete ullman

Agreed...terribly unimpressive feat!
Old 03-07-2013, 03:57 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I liked that story. If I had to guess, however, I think he sold his collection, so he could go after that Baltimore News Ruth again in the next REA auction. That's the card that he really wanted before he started his T206 collection, and now that another one's coming up, I think he probably wants another shot at it. If he doesn't get it, he'd probably tackle another set like he did w/ T206.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:26 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Wonder if this was the high grade set break legendary had last year.

Not impressive if you have that kind of coin to throw at it
Old 03-07-2013, 06:25 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

But if he had a Wagner and Plank you would be more impressed? So you’re unimpressed by the money he spent on the set minus those two but had he dropped the extra coin he then gains your kudos?

It’s an impressive collection of T206 cards regardless of his economic situation in life.

I love how someone’s achievements are not of value because of their social economic position. Every one of us here most likely has more than the next guy the number is just different for each of us. I see 1k cards posted in pickups all the time. Too many that 1k purchase is like a 200k purchase. So I guess there is nothing special about your 1k card pickup as anyone with 1k could buy it huh?

Also there are a lot of collectors on here who have amazing collections and having the money to purchase many of these items is what allowed them to have such collections. Also for you that have great collections built before the boom and who have very little in them having guys like this around isn’t a bad thing let alone unimpressive.

Examples to consider I guess Halper’s, Olbermann’s, Masson’s, Drier’s, Copeland’s collections to name just a few are unimpressive because after all these are just guys with money anyone could have bought their stuff.

Keep in mind some of the greatest collections in the world among all categories were built by people of extreme wealth and position. Much of these collections became the base or backbones of many of the world’s finest museums which are enjoyed by many folks today who would never have gotten the chance to experience viewing such items in their lifetimes.

Now am I saying this dude is Chester Dale or something no. However before you say unimpressed and chalk it up too just a guy with cash…we all fall under this category to some extent. Many folks who did fall under the dude with cash category left great legacy’s that we all can enjoy becuse they had the cash to do so.

Cheers,

John
Old 03-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Jeff

Agreed John, it's no less impressive to me bc he could afford it.

I guess everyone could walk to work tomorrow instead of driving, it would be much more impressive right?

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 03-07-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Mike C@.v3

Some people here are unimpressed by how fast he did it...It's not the most common way to put this set together, nor would it be "fun" to most, but that doesn't make the accomplishment unimpressive. I would sacrifice a lot to be able to complete the set that fast...but would agree that the fun would be drained somewhat.

I'm not going to judge him on how quickly he put the set together because I really don't care either way...just my opinion.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48

Last edited by freakhappy; 03-07-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:57 PM

Over the years, I became friends with PSA registry HOFer Stephen Soloway. He told me he spent a tremendous amount of money (into the millions I believe) in a short amount of time to complete a lot of sets in high grade. A few years later he said not to be too impressed with what he did. He said anyone with a lot of money could do the same thing. He said he is more impressed with someone who is more on a budget and is taking a longer time to complete the sets in low grade rather than what he did.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Manny
Banned

Yeah, but to be featured on a PSA article for completing a T206 set minus 3 cards (he didn't buy the Doyle error either, btw) means that about 120 other people on this board should get articles written about them and their life.

The article touted it as being a really difficult accomplishment, like something near impossible. But the truth is you just need to attend enough auctions and post a few want ads in other to finish a near set.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:46 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

I just read the article. At first it seemed to be about how quick a basic T206 set could be built with 200k. So he did it in 8 months with mid to high grades. He met many new people while building it. He sold it to move on to the next project. So he basically did what alot of us do but just very quickly. I guess theres nothing wrong with that. Maybe he gets his natural high by quickly completing a set and moving on. He definitly didn't have any attachment to the cards and that probably helps in this case. I believe thats where many of us are different. Seems we are more attached to our collectibles because we get one here and there and enjoy them while the next card comes along. What would be interesting to know is exactly how much he spent and exactly how much the set sold for when completed. In 8 months you don't have time to wait for the right card to come around at the right price, you just have to settle for whats available and pay whats being asked. As far as an article being written for the rest of us, who knows, maybe PSA will realize there are many people on this forum that are hobby legends in their own specialized fields and that a story can be just as interesting about a collector in the middle of their journey of a life long legacy.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 03-07-2013, 07:51 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Yeah, but to be featured on a PSA article for completing a T206 set minus 3 cards (he didn't buy the Doyle error either, btw) means that about 120 other people on this board should get articles written about them and their life.

The article touted it as being a really difficult accomplishment, like something near impossible. But the truth is you just need to attend enough auctions and post a few want ads in other to finish a near set.
It was a piece on a website published by a grading company. Hardly journalism. Of course they would tout it as a heavy weight accomplishment, it involved their product/brand.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

Last edited by HRBAKER; 03-07-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

John, dont get me wrong, it's a very impressive set and the fact at 28 he had 200k to do this.

I guess my take was he threw money at it to get it done in a rush and now it's "news" worthy. Still took a ton of work but I'm not as impressed as when someone like Erick is doing it by buying, flipping, trading to get the set in a solid grade, working for each card and keeping the costs down. When Clayton finishes his set, that will be an impressive task. Ted's collection, impressive.

Your collection to me is impressive and its not because it took a fair chunk of change to put together. You enjoy each card, scan them, organize them, share them and contribute to the hobby.

At two + cards a day for 2/3 of a year, I think opening the mail would be more of a routine task then a collectors passion.

Then he sold it. I just wasn't impressed with his story.

Last edited by atx840; 03-07-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Alex

Something seems amiss about that story.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:17 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I don't know why people have to pick on PSA over everything. Obviously, they are not the New York Times. This is just a color story that they thought might be interesting to a few readers. PSA has stories on high end collectors, dealers, and so forth. Here was a recent story of a board member on the PSA board whose wife died of cancer: Link. Basically, if you read enough of these stories, PSA tries to focus on the communal aspect of the hobby about how collectors help each other. And of course, they usually get a short speech on how the collector really likes and recommends PSA.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:23 PM
Dave
Da.ve Kra.bal

before PSA existed ,an old time collector here in Dayton finished the T206 set minus the Honus Wagner card in one summer. he eventually bought a beater Wagner to complete it. He also finished a T3 set in a similar fashion in the late 80's and then sold many of the cards to me and my brother
Old 03-07-2013, 09:35 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Chris, I understand you’re POV. My point was I think people get too focused on labels and lines in the sand. In the end if it’s 50 million or 50 bucks nobody here is really doing anything to impressive or world changing. Ultimately were just a bunch of grown up kids spending our time and money buying collectibles we all enjoy.

I’ve been on all sides the bulk of my collection was built when I was a kid when I had not two nickels to rub together. Now later in life I’ve worked hard and had the fortune of having more in the way of disposal income to play with and enjoy my childhood hobby. I choose to share a lot of folks don’t and that’s cool as well.

Regardless if you just found the hobby with your Powerball winnings or have scrounged every nickel under the sun over a lifetime to build a collection. We as collectors should welcome all to our hobby with open arms. That’s why I always hated the term “I’ve been doing this for years before you” line. It’s like saying there’s a hierarchy to this hobby when in fact there really isn’t today’s ramen noodle guy can be tomorrow’s whale.

As for the Steve Soloway comments no disrespect but those are pretty obvious and silly statements, saying if you had millions you could buy the same goes without saying. Sort of like George Clooney and Brad Pitt saying in a bar to me “you know John if you looked like us and had our money and fame there would be a lot more girls in the bar tonight that would want to take you home.” Gee thanks I guess…

Cheers,

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 03-07-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
But if he had a Wagner and Plank you would be more impressed? So you’re unimpressed by the money he spent on the set minus those two but had he dropped the extra coin he then gains your kudos?

It’s an impressive collection of T206 cards regardless of his economic situation in life.

I love how someone’s achievements are not of value because of their social economic position. Every one of us here most likely has more than the next guy the number is just different for each of us. I see 1k cards posted in pickups all the time. Too many that 1k purchase is like a 200k purchase. So I guess there is nothing special about your 1k card pickup as anyone with 1k could buy it huh?

Also there are a lot of collectors on here who have amazing collections and having the money to purchase many of these items is what allowed them to have such collections. Also for you that have great collections built before the boom and who have very little in them having guys like this around isn’t a bad thing let alone unimpressive.

Examples to consider I guess Halper’s, Olbermann’s, Masson’s, Drier’s, Copeland’s collections to name just a few are unimpressive because after all these are just guys with money anyone could have bought their stuff.

Keep in mind some of the greatest collections in the world among all categories were built by people of extreme wealth and position. Much of these collections became the base or backbones of many of the world’s finest museums which are enjoyed by many folks today who would never have gotten the chance to experience viewing such items in their lifetimes.

Now am I saying this dude is Chester Dale or something no. However before you say unimpressed and chalk it up too just a guy with cash…we all fall under this category to some extent. Many folks who did fall under the dude with cash category left great legacy’s that we all can enjoy becuse they had the cash to do so.

Cheers,

John

Well said John. It never ceases to amaze me why criticizing the way others enjoy the hobby is such a pastime among us.
JimB

"I'd be rich and famous, if I weren't unknown and poor."
Tom Russel
Old 03-08-2013, 01:58 AM

Default PSA T206 Article

Nelson, thanks for your kind words and thanks to everyone for your comments. I'll always treasure the experience of building this set.

All I can say is that it was probably the most fun I've ever had collecting. The people I met and the stories they shared will stay with me forever. And that includes many of you I met at the Net54 dinner in '06 in Anaheim. The set was sold in the '06 REA auction and actually did include a Plank and Magie which were sold separately from the set (Lots 3 and 9).

I went on to collect some more really amazing cards and sets but am primarily a spectator now with my dad having some major health issues the past few years. In fact, coming in and reading this board everyday has really been therapeutic in helping me get through it and will continue to do so. Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Josh
Old 03-08-2013, 08:19 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Sorry to hear that Josh. I can imagine it was a beautiful set to look at and quite an enjoyable accomplishment. I doubted anyone doing something like that so quickly that one could enjoy it.

Sounds like you did. Good for you.

Last edited by atx840; 03-08-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:28 AM
Mark Fox

If you finish the race in 8 months, or you finish it in 18 years, at the end the race the amount of money you will have to spent to complete the set (in comparable grades) will be equal, or close enough to not warrant much of a distinction. Why is it any different spending 200k in 8 months or 200k in 18 years to complete the set. You've still invested 200k in the set.

Why begrudge someone for having the means to do it quickly?

Some of the basic mantras that are so often repeated on this site:
1.)Collect what you like
2.)Collect to enjoy collecting
3.)Collect within your means

Seems to me he stayed within all 3 guidelines.

Last edited by markf31; 03-08-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Jeff

Mark,

Great post.
Makes too much sense.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Hank Thomas

We all dream of having of unlimited funds to pick up whatever we want to. But I've always thought that was the worst thing that could happen to a collector, that it would take all the fun out of it. Seriously. And that's no disrespect to Josh or any other "whales." Everyone goes about this differently, according to their personality and situation, and that's the beauty of it. As long as you're doing it for the love of the stuff and the chase, no matter how you go about it, you're a brother (or sister) in this crazy endeavor.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
If you finish the race in 8 months, or you finish it in 18 years, at the end the race the amount of money you will have to spent to complete the set (in comparable grades) will be equal, or close enough to not warrant much of a distinction. Why is it any different spending 200k in 8 months or 200k in 18 years to complete the set. You've still invested 200k in the set.
What would you consider more enjoyable? Drinking 6 Beers in 1-2 minutes or drinking 6 beers over a 1-2 hour span.

I think the point many people here are making is that he was acquiring these cards at a very brisk pace. He didn't stop to enjoy these cards, at least it seems, just acquiring a big lot and buying upgrades. With infinite funds I could go on eBay right now and acquire almost all of the t206 set, but what fun would that be? I'm not sure what his intentions were for completing the set, investment or pleasure. Investment wise it would be advantageous to buy a whole lot then acquire card by card. Pleasure wise I believe it is better to take the scenic route and enjoy the journey.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Jeff

I don't think we can assume or infer that he didn't enjoy it bc he didn't do it the way we did/are. He utilized the means at his disposal.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:33 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
I don't know why people have to pick on PSA over everything. Obviously, they are not the New York Times. This is just a color story that they thought might be interesting to a few readers. PSA has stories on high end collectors, dealers, and so forth. Here was a recent story of a board member on the PSA board whose wife died of cancer: Link. Basically, if you read enough of these stories, PSA tries to focus on the communal aspect of the hobby about how collectors help each other. And of course, they usually get a short speech on how the collector really likes and recommends PSA.

I thought was very nice, kinda puts a face with the collector. Unfortunately he was caught shilling his own auctions consigned to Probstein a few weeks later

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-08-2013, 10:58 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post
What would you consider more enjoyable? Drinking 6 Beers in 1-2 minutes or drinking 6 beers over a 1-2 hour span.

I think the point many people here are making is that he was acquiring these cards at a very brisk pace. He didn't stop to enjoy these cards, at least it seems, just acquiring a big lot and buying upgrades. With infinite funds I could go on eBay right now and acquire almost all of the t206 set, but what fun would that be? I'm not sure what his intentions were for completing the set, investment or pleasure. Investment wise it would be advantageous to buy a whole lot then acquire card by card. Pleasure wise I believe it is better to take the scenic route and enjoy the journey.
Jake really?

How can you assume or say Josh didn't enjoy his cards, he just told you he did?

You have no first hand insight into Josh’s feelings he had when he collected this set. The very way you just claim he didn’t enjoy them because the way he collected them is insulting. Jake I bought my Obak sets in REA a few years ago one big swoop…are you now going to tell folks I don’t enjoy them or there’s no way I can enjoy them as much as say Tbob (Hi Bob) who did it more card by card than I did?

BTW I hear all this all the time "if I had unlimited funds it wouldn’t be fun."

All pure BS having unlimited funds doesn’t make the hobby any easier. Sure certain issues would be easier that goes without saying but then you would find yourself in N167 land…or N172 master set land…or the countless other obscure issues that no matter how much money you have they won’t come easy. Let’s also be real I’m not going to add a T206 Wagner anytime soon on a budget some things in this hobby just cost money and we shouldn’t belittle those who can afford to enjoy them. Let alone judge someone’s enjoyment of a hobby on how they see fit to collect cards.

Cheers,

John
Old 03-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Jake

Quote:
Jake really?

How can you assume or say Josh didn't enjoy his cards, he just told you he did?

You have no first hand insight into Josh’s feelings he had when he collected this set. The very way you just claim he didn’t enjoy them because the way he collected them is insulting. Jake I bought my Obak sets in REA a few years ago one big swoop…are you now going to tell folks I don’t enjoy them or there’s no way I can enjoy them as much as say Tbob (Hi Bob) who did it more card by card than I did?
You're right. I can't say for sure what his feelings towards collecting are. Perhaps he enjoys card collecting more then you, I or anyone else on this forum. All what I do know is my feelings on collecting. Which I believe is evidently different than Mr. Josh's way.

In Judaism there is an ancient text called the Talmud. It's over 2500 pages long and takes Seven and a half years to study, one page at a time. At the end of each cycle an event known as Siyum Hashas occurs. A celebration where people get together for prayer. The last cycle ended last August where about 90,000 people were at Meadowlands Stadium for the celebration. Does this mean the end of your journey, not even close. For when one cycle ends, a new one begins. Study of the Talmud should take your whole life and then some.

The brevity of the two do differ so perhaps the comparison isn't 100 percent suitable. I take the Talmudic route of collecting and that's what suits me. Others have different methods which is just fine as well. As we are all aiming for the same singular goal.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 03-08-2013, 12:26 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Man, if we starting bring religion into this thing, it is said that God created the world in six days. Then because He did it so quickly, are we saying that He did not enjoy the process?
Old 03-08-2013, 12:28 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Man, if we starting bring religion into this thing, it is said that God created the world in six days. Then because He did it so quickly, are we saying that He did not enjoy the process?
Classic! Thanks for the laugh.

Talk about a guy with unlimited funds! BTW I wonder what god's toughest want list would look like?

Last edited by wonkaticket; 03-08-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Jeff

"He can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me."

Old 03-08-2013, 12:52 PM

Old 03-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Manny
Banned

HEY! No religious talk as outlined in the N54 T.O.S.

Thank you.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Default Don't tell on me

Quote:
HEY! No religious talk as outlined in the N54 T.O.S.

Thank you.
Can we talk T-99s? Not my card.

r/
Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cologne Cathedral.jpg (72.4 KB, 162 views)
Old 03-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Manny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T's please View Post
Can we talk T-99s? Not my card.

r/
Frank
No, please. No cathedrals. That is the ugliest card I have ever seen. It is against TOS to show such a card.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
John, dont get me wrong, it's a very impressive set and the fact at 28 he had 200k to do this.

I guess my take was he threw money at it to get it done in a rush and now it's "news" worthy. Still took a ton of work but I'm not as impressed as when someone like Erick is doing it by buying, flipping, trading to get the set in a solid grade, working for each card and keeping the costs down. When Clayton finishes his set, that will be an impressive task. Ted's collection, impressive.

Your collection to me is impressive and its not because it took a fair chunk of change to put together. You enjoy each card, scan them, organize them, share them and contribute to the hobby.

At two + cards a day for 2/3 of a year, I think opening the mail would be more of a routine task then a collectors passion.

Then he sold it. I just wasn't impressed with his story.
Thanks Chris

I can say that picking up one or two cards at a time does allow a certain type of "bond" to happen~ and it also makes it harder to consider selling/trading them even the low grade commons

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 03-08-2013, 04:43 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Jake really?

BTW I hear all this all the time "if I had unlimited funds it wouldn’t be fun."

All pure BS having unlimited funds doesn’t make the hobby any easier. Sure certain issues would be easier that goes without saying but then you would find yourself in N167 land…or N172 master set land…or the countless other obscure issues that no matter how much money you have they won’t come easy. Let’s also be real I’m not going to add a T206 Wagner anytime soon on a budget some things in this hobby just cost money and we shouldn’t belittle those who can afford to enjoy them. Let alone judge someone’s enjoyment of a hobby on how they see fit to collect cards.

Cheers,

John
Neither of us will ever know, will we, John? But it's not BS, it's just based on the observation that anything achieved effortlessly is less satisfying than something achieved through overcoming a challenge, in this case the challenge of trying to get what you want with a limited budget. See something you like, buy it, see something else, buy it, and so on and on? Not for me, thanks.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:50 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Hank that's "your" feeling on the subject what is BS is to assume that others wouldn't get the same satisfaction from being able to buy something out right. In regards to earned I'm sure they worked hard for the money they are spending.

In terms of a budget I will say again I'm not sure that T206 Wagner will be had on a budget, nor will any choice items from Walters playing days.

Does it make them any less enjoyable to the person who bought them that only the buyer will know.

We can try a social experiment if you like please give me unlimited funds for the next year and watch how much fun I have.

Cheers,

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 03-08-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Every one of us here most likely has more than the next guy the number is just different for each of us. I see 1k cards posted in pickups all the time. Too many that 1k purchase is like a 200k purchase.

John
Yep. As one of the guys closer to your $1k example, I have a hard time imagining what it feels like to be the $200k guy; i.e-it seems strange that those guys are guided by the same market values (most of the time) that I am. I think that if I had a $200k budget for cards I would be more likely to pay $1,000 for a $500 card I wanted, than if I only had $1,000. But it doesn't seem to really work that way.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:30 PM
Hank Thomas

BS is BS. This isn't BS, this is speculation. If you read my original statement, you'll see that I'm giving my opinion, no more, no less--followed by my strong declaration that to each his own. And now that we've beaten this to death, back to actual collecting...
Old 03-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

sort of like a smaller train wreck.....my newest postcard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ppcunc1912carwreck.JPG (71.8 KB, 171 views)
Old 03-08-2013, 07:26 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
But it's not BS, it's just based on the observation that anything achieved effortlessly is less satisfying than something achieved through overcoming a challenge,
Hank you’re one of my favorite folks in the hobby it’s nothing personal. Your comment didn’t read so much to me as your feelings.

It read more as a pretty broad stroke that it’s less fulfilling overall. That his achievement was somehow less impressive and achieved without any challenges. Because he had the cash to collect the way he did. It’s cool if you say that lifestyle isn’t not for me. However to insinuate that it’s less fulfilling or what was achieved was without any challenges is a very broad statement to make, and something we don’t know. That’s all I’m saying Hank to you.

I’m just amazed how many folks are so quick to say to a guy like Josh not impressed….no biggie or jump to the conclusion that he must have less of a passion or somehow gotten less out of the hobby. Simply because he collected something a different way with a larger financial budget that just doesn’t make sense to me. Especially surrounded by guys with lots of expensive items for sale one day…I wonder how many of you would be so judgmental if it was your cards Josh was buying.

As I said before I would be careful applying this ruling to anyone because we all to somebody are doing things differently. How would you feel if someone belittled your collecting? Because they felt…."gee must be nice to drop 2k in Goodwin not impressed, you will never appreciate that like I would."

Cheers,

John
Old 03-08-2013, 07:41 PM
nels0n aud.et

For my part i am impressed...any guy who biuld a t206. Set in 8 month is verry cool for me in any grade !

And i enjoy read story about other t206 collector and it is the reason why i share the article here.

Some people have 200k budget and other 100$ ...it is not important we are all collector at different level and diff budget.

Anyway congrat Jaosh for this accomplishment and hope you will have your BN Ruth one day !
Old 03-08-2013, 07:44 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_vezina_c55 View Post
For my part i am impressed...any guy who biuld a t206. Set in 8 month is verry cool for me in any grade !

And i enjoy read story about other t206 collector and it is the reason why i share the article here.

Some people have 200k budget and other 100$ ...it is not important we are all collector at different level and diff budget.

Anyway congrat Jaosh for this accomplishment and hope you will have your BN Ruth one day !
Big +1
Old 03-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Harrison

I don't see the difference in it, either way in order to complete the set it comes down to spending money.

It's this aspect of the hobby that has made me lose some passion for it.