NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-28-2016, 11:08 AM

Default Pricing of 1915 CJ Joe Jackson

I know this is a very valuable and popular card, but doesn't $4,750 sound like a bit much for a card that was literally torn in half and pieced back together?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282012156268...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 04-28-2016, 11:10 AM
pete ullman

I was watching that one. Well it presents pretty well, considering...and if one is looking to complete the set the JJ can be cost prohibitive I suppose. Just another example of the lunacy of card collecting.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:16 AM
A.J. Johnson

cool story if it's true. The dad's temper cost his son tens of thousands.
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 04-28-2016, 11:17 AM
Dave_Berg

I had a 1915 JJ that was torn in half, expertly repaired and slabbed at PSA A ( altered). Presented as EX and you could not detect the repair on the front. Sold for $3500 a couple years ago
Old 04-28-2016, 11:17 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Well, when you have this M01-5 Ruth sell for over $18K (which I once owned but sold for less than half that price, no, I'm not bitter), that JJ with that kind of eye appeal is a bargain!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52-33a_med.jpg (41.7 KB, 735 views)
Old 04-28-2016, 11:19 AM

I always find it odd when sellers copy and paste Wikipedia entries. (I assume that's what the text at the bottom is.) Like if you're going to bid on a $4000 baseball card (or any pre-war card actually) you need to be reminded who Joe Jackson was.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:24 AM
Brendan Mullen

Although it presents well, I think the conservator did a horrendous job in putting it back together. You get what you pay for I guess.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:30 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

I was the direct underbidder on this one, and it haunted me for a few hours not putting up the extra couple of hundred dollars to win this. They are that hard to find in affordable shape.

And then I woke up, and realized I almost spent 5000 on a ripped card. And I felt a little bit better.

Whoever won it should be lucky to have it though. It does present well for a rip.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 04-28-2016, 11:40 AM

I frantically went back and forth on this one..
I was worried about the authenticity of the card..

I still almost came in at 5k in the last minute.

Kind of wish that I would have now... I wanted to ask you guys about it but didn't want to violate any rules of the board.

Now I've got to find another card to invest in.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:41 AM
Eric Pugh

Default The Ruth

That Ruth rookie was only $18k? What a steal!
Old 04-28-2016, 12:49 PM
Rob.ert Bal.ke

Here's my Auth image.jpg
Old 04-28-2016, 12:49 PM
Rob.ert Bal.ke

image.jpg
Old 04-28-2016, 01:05 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Amazing that someone will pay serious bucks for a card literally torn in half and restored and elsewhere people will turn their nose up at a fantastic card that is PSA 9 but graded OC.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:06 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Having said that, certainly has the best eye appeal of any ripped in half and restored card I have ever seen.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:56 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Just chiming in, so I could learn about these CJ authenticity (real or not real)
I know it be kinda hard to replicate the staining, so I guess that part is a good indicator for most parts.
But I looked at this card as well and tried comparing it to another low end example.
When I zoomed in on the Ebay one- I kept seeing the dot pixels on his forehead, bat and his uniform...so I was cautious if someone printed it out.
So could the fellow board educate me/some of us what to look for???
As for the back, I saw it looked more white/restored and the lettering was scuffed up from it I assume, compared to a cream colored example I loked at.
So, was it just bleached-out?? is another question.

Pics from Ebay versus a comparable:

from a Auction House: (I would of liked to been able to zoom in more on this one)

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 04-28-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:19 PM
pete ullman

This CJ JJ looks 100% real for many reasons. I like the bleed on some of the red around the edges...I like the color of the back...many CJ's I think the ones that were actually placed in boxes tend to exhibit an almost onion peely surface texture in the red. The type looks right...the stock is correct.

I dont think I've ever seen really good cj fakes.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:37 PM
A.J. Johnson

one way to tell it's real is the jersey is the same color as the border. You can see it bleed into border middle right. Under magnification they all have that dot matrix look
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 04-28-2016, 06:22 PM

That one is gonna sting for a while..

I just couldn't pull the trigger.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:20 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshwesley View Post

I believe another board member got it so at least it's in the family!!
Old 04-29-2016, 11:50 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:

I guess its one of those to take the chance and rely on Ebay policies and your credit card/amex to get a refund, if it was fake.
If I was in your place, I would of passed on it, not knowing myself.
This is where the board is HUGE!!!! Thanks for the information learned.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:59 AM
Dave_Berg

Torn in half and repaired image.jpg
Old 04-29-2016, 01:19 PM

If said person gets tired of it or maybe wants to make a quick profit... I would certainly love to talk

QUOTE=Leon;1533105]I believe another board member got it so at least it's in the family!! [/QUOTE]
Old 04-29-2016, 01:46 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
If said person gets tired of it or maybe wants to make a quick profit... I would certainly love to talk

QUOTE=Leon;1533105]I believe another board member got it so at least it's in the family!!
[/QUOTE]

I don't know, Josh. I think you'd get bothered by the damage on JJ's forehead, and may want to upgrade it after a time. That's why I ended up selling that M101 Ruth that I put on an earlier post in this thread. My regret isn't really selling it, more that I should have sold it later... The condition just bothered me too much.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:20 PM

I don't know, Josh. I think you'd get bothered by the damage on JJ's forehead, and may want to upgrade it after a time. That's why I ended up selling that M101 Ruth that I put on an earlier post in this thread. My regret isn't really selling it, more that I should have sold it later... The condition just bothered me too much.[/QUOTE]

You might be right about that... I just couldn't pull the trigger!!
Old 04-30-2016, 11:08 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
I always find it odd when sellers copy and paste Wikipedia entries. (I assume that's what the text at the bottom is.) Like if you're going to bid on a $4000 baseball card (or any pre-war card actually) you need to be reminded who Joe Jackson was.
Remembered this comment and wanted to remark why. It's brings your item to more eyes because of all the people searching different terms with the "Search Descriptions"; think of all the people, places, and things that were now copied into the entry. Now think how many of those people have saved searches for. I don't do it, but it's definitely going to get your item wider visibility.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:10 AM

Winner come forth!!

Hopefully you'll need extra cash for upcoming auctions this fall.

Once the newness of that JJ wears off..

PM me!
Old 05-01-2016, 06:57 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

I bought a PSA 8OC from Brent Huigens in the late 90's. Boy do I wish I had that card back!
Old 05-06-2016, 06:20 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Default My beat 1914

But still my favorite. Took a chance on eBay as it was ungraded.
r/
Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (9.4 KB, 318 views)
Old 05-06-2016, 07:42 PM

That's awesome...thanks for sharing... That's what I'm looking for!
Old 05-26-2016, 11:04 PM
Jon Canfield

Looks like the torn Jax is back up for sale:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1915-CRACKER...cAAOSwR5dXR7fp
Old 05-27-2016, 06:36 AM

Son of a..... I missed out on it again!!!

It must have only been on there for an hour or so.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:59 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

It is in the completed part, but not in the sold part...does that mean it sold? or could he just ended the auction/removed the listing???
Simply just contact the board member here--its on the Ebay listing.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:43 AM
J@son Du.nc@n

Gary

That used to be one of my Ruth rookies. I sold it raw for $3k! I sold it to a friend (fellow Ruth collector) who flipped it to Just Collect. Seems like I made several dealers $$$ on that card.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:19 AM
Rob.ert Bal.ke

It's up again
Old 05-27-2016, 05:35 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonD08 View Post
Gary

That used to be one of my Ruth rookies. I sold it raw for $3k! I sold it to a friend (fellow Ruth collector) who flipped it to Just Collect. Seems like I made several dealers $$$ on that card.
Jason, I think that card when through a lot of people. The collector I purchased it from bought it from a Vintage Authentics auction in a GAI holder. (I crossed it over to SGC.)
Old 05-28-2016, 11:41 AM
Orlando Rodriguez

Hey guys. I am the owner of the Joe Jackson card. I wasnt aware of this thread until a buddy just texted me. I spend most of my time here on the B/S/T section (mostly B). I love the card. And as I wrote in the item description, I bought it because i knew that i could never own this card in anything resembling good shape without forking-over 5-figures. Some guys are bothered by the tear, but i think that we often forget that we deal in pieces of paper that were played with by children. Our hobby is about gathering classic old cards. Who says they have to be perfect? The only reason i put it on ebay is that my priority card right now is a 52 mantle. I figured this card gets me a quarter of the way there (looking for a nicely centered 2-3). I pulled the card from ebay twice because i just couldnt sell it. It is too iconic a card.
Someone mentioned that they dont see how someone can pay big bucks for a card that was once torn, but scoff at an o/c. Two notes on that. 1. I am one of those people. I cannot live with bad centering. The line across the card is no worse than a crease to my eyes and creases dont bother me nearly as much as centering. 2. O/C cards bring in about 20-30% of the card's sale price in that grade without the qualifier. Is it really crazy to think that this card, which presents so beautifully, would get 15k at auction without the tear? So it isnt as far off as you are making it sound. Not to mention that it LOOKS NICER than an o/c card. We all have our preferences, compulsions, and idiosyncrasies as collectors. At the end of the day, unless we are rolling in dough, we must "pick our poison" and decide what flaws we can or cannot live with. So I own a beautiful, authentic, Joe Jackson Cracker Jack card without breaking the bank. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by orly57; 05-28-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:15 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
Hey guys. I am the owner of the Joe Jackson card. I wasnt aware of this thread until a buddy just texted me. I spend most of my time here on the B/S/T section (mostly B). I love the card. And as I wrote in the item description, I bought it because i knew that i could never own this card in anything resembling good shape without forking-over 5-figures. Some guys are bothered by the tear, but i think that we often forget that we deal in pieces of paper that were played with by children. Our hobby is about gathering classic old cards. Who says they have to be perfect? The only reason i put it on ebay is that my priority card right now is a 52 mantle. I figured this card gets me a quarter of the way there (looking for a nicely centered 2-3). I pulled the card from ebay twice because i just couldnt sell it. It is too iconic a card.
Someone mentioned that they dont see how someone can pay big bucks for a card that was once torn, but scoff at an o/c. Two notes on that. 1. I am one of those people. I cannot live with bad centering. The line across the card is no worse than a crease to my eyes and creases dont bother me nearly as much as centering. 2. O/C cards bring in about 20-30% of the card's sale price in that grade without the qualifier. Is it really crazy to think that this card, which presents so beautifully, would get 15k at auction without the tear? So it isnt as far off as you are making it sound. Not to mention that it LOOKS NICER than an o/c card. We all have our preferences, compulsions, and idiosyncrasies as collectors. At the end of the day, unless we are rolling in dough, we must "pick our poison" and decide what flaws we can or cannot live with. So I own a beautiful, authentic, Joe Jackson Cracker Jack card without breaking the bank. Nothing wrong with that.
Card is again no longer listed on Ebay, and is not listed under sold items. Has it been withdrawn for another price adjustment?
Old 05-28-2016, 12:40 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

I am not selling it. Can't do it unless i am made an offer i can't refuse. I love the card.