NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-02-2018, 02:52 PM
Sean Fitze
Se.an Fi.tze

Default Uncle Bill's Treasures

Anybody familiar with the seller Uncle Bill's Treasures on Ebay? Hard to imagine all the beautiful cards haven't been graded.

Last edited by 661fish; 10-02-2018 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:53 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 661fish View Post
Anybody familiar with the seller Uncle Bill's Treasures on Ebay? Hard to imagine all the beautiful cards haven't been graded.
Oh, but they have already been graded!!! They follow the same formula as Great Lakes auction house. Take nice looking, graded cards or "A" cards, crack them out, and watch the bucks roll in.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 10-02-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:02 PM
Sean Fitze
Se.an Fi.tze

Really? WOW
Old 10-02-2018, 08:38 PM
Manny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Oh, but they have already been graded!!! They follow the same formula as Great Lakes auction house. Take nice looking, graded cards or "A" cards, crack them out, and watch the bucks roll in.
Sounds like a smart business idea to me.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:43 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I have been tempted to bid on some of their cards but always wondered, like the OP, why their cards were not graded.

Thanks for sharing that info.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:46 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

I've wondered this myself. If anybody has specific stories I'd be interested to hear.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:22 PM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

I have bought several cards from Great Lakes and a couple from Uncle Bill’s. You definitely have to look closely at the cards. Great Lakes rarely offers what he thinks the card will grade.

Great Lakes usually does a very good job in describing the card, if it has any dimples, creases, blemishes, etc. He also will tell you if the card has been trimmed or would not get a grade from PSA. And if the card has a crease or ding, he will show in his pictures.

I do agree he cracks cards and sells as I sold him a card that received a mid grade from PSA. When I saw his name and address, I wanted to see if he was going to crack and re-sell. Sure enough, he had in his next auction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2018, 09:23 PM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

I have never bought a card from Great Lakes that was not graded by PSA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2018, 05:59 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

I've bought from both a few times over the years and even knowing crack and sell methods never had anything come back from PSA as less than a 7...so more or less break even value wise depending on the card. I think they may be related also...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
I've bought from both a few times over the years and even knowing crack and sell methods never had anything come back from PSA as less than a 7...so more or less break even value wise depending on the card. I think they may be related also...
To candiman and that crew likely. similar styles
Old 10-08-2018, 02:31 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

I bought a 1960 Bob Gibson from Great Lakes a year and a half ago. Card looked really nice. Description used words like "Beautiful" "Outstanding", etc, but no assigned grade. When I got it I thought it looked as expected. Later, when I went to submit it to PSA, looking closer, I could see flaws that didn't show in the listing photos. Corners not quite as sharp, edges showed wear. It took a really close look to see them. I submitted to PSA with a minimum grade of 6 and it came back ungraded so it would have likely gotten a 5 or 5.5.

It was still a nice looking card, but not the 7 or higher I had hoped for. I was also pretty new a the time and didn't know what to look for. I couldn't tell whether the photos were doctored or if it was just how they took the pics that hid the imperfections. I just decided I wouldn't purchase from them again.

Last edited by Jenx34; 10-08-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:20 PM
Ru.ss Khederi@n

Uncle Bill is the king of the crackers.
I purchased 4 cards from Uncle Bill. All auctions ended on the same night. All cards were nicely centered with "razor sharp corners" and looked to be at least 6.5's to 7's. All of UB's auctions have a 14 day return policy. I immediately send them to PSA for grading and received the following:
1961 Topps Mantle (I paid $449) came back 5.5
1968 Topps Mantle (I paid $405) came back 5.5
1969 Topps Mantle (I paid $327) came back 5.5
1969 Topps Alcindor (I paid $510) came back 3.5 because of a tiny wrinkle
I cracked them and sent them all back just under the wire for a full refund.
I subsequently kept seeing the same cards sold and relisted (especially the Alcindor) So give Uncle Bill credit for standing behind his refund policy but he immediately blocked me from bidding on his auctions !!
Old 10-09-2018, 04:14 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by russkcpa View Post
I purchased 4 cards from Uncle Bill. All auctions ended on the same night. All cards were nicely centered with "razor sharp corners" and looked to be at least 6.5's to 7's. All of UB's auctions have a 14 day return policy. I immediately send them to PSA for grading and received the following:
I subsequently kept seeing the same cards sold and relisted (especially the Alcindor) So give Uncle Bill credit for standing behind his refund policy but he immediately blocked me from bidding on his auctions !!
This is the norm. They prey on the public hoping the cards would attain lofty grades, but alas, they are just all mid grade cards. They are hoping people WILL NOT send them in for grading. The marketing strategy obviously works because so many people do it (Great Lakes, Uncle Bill, Battlefield, Candiman, etc), but leads to a lot of complaints and negative feedbacks.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:45 AM

I will never understand why anyone ever buys “high end” or “high profile” ungraded cards off the Internet (where you cannot tough and see close up); especially from a larger outfit who is very capable of having the cards graded themselves.

I am sorry your experience was unsatisfactory, but honestly, you kind of earned it.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:05 AM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

I’m amazed you were able to get your cards graded by PSA and back to you to return them within two weeks. I can’t get anything back that quickly from them.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLongley View Post
I’m amazed you were able to get your cards graded by PSA and back to you to return them within two weeks. I can’t get anything back that quickly from them.
Wasted a lot of money apparently, but didn't factor that into the equation. Out all 4 cards and out $200-250?
Old 10-11-2018, 11:32 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy8276 View Post
Wasted a lot of money apparently, but didn't factor that into the equation. Out all 4 cards and out $200-250?
Lesson learned I hope. Stay away from Uncle Bill, unless you don't mind overpaying.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:09 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by russkcpa View Post

Lucky you!
Old 10-12-2018, 08:54 AM
Anson

And for all that shake their fist at graders, this is a good example of why most of us prefer graded cards. It's one thing if you choose to crack them out for your own collection. But, there are too many folks trying to game the system and take advantage of others. TPGs are far from perfect, but they do insulate collectors from a lot of this stuff.

I would consider buying raw from other board members. But Ebay is too much of a gamble.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:18 PM

thanks for asking, I've been wondering the same, even thinking he might be in the business of fakes considering all these beautiful ungraded cards. Cracking makes more sense, but no way I touch his stuff. And funny how sellers can block bidders but not the other way around.