NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-18-2016, 06:26 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default If you were just starting to buy T206

...would you make it a point to target HOFers or might you accumulate as many of one back type as possible, or some other strategy? Just curious, as there are so many approaches.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:32 PM
pete ullman

personally...i'd rethink my strategy! just kidding...kinda!

the smart play...in my mind is to target the bigger name hof'ers as they will atleast hold their value over the long term...maybe even go up...as opposed to common players which are more boring...and more likely to decrease in value over time.

Or if you have more coin to spend...go after the hof'ers with rare(r) backs.

you may find if you ever complete the hof'er set...you have no interest in the commons and your hof'ers will be much quicker and easier to sell!

just the opinion of an anti t206er.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:09 PM

I don't see the point in starting a set that can never be completed. I would much rather pursue a set like the E95 Philadelphia Caramels which can be completed at far less expense.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:16 PM
Danny Smith

Start with the hall of famers. I saved a ton of money as they have generally continued to rise in value. Makes the end kinda boring going after commons but that strategy was the best advice I ever received regarding this set.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:35 PM
Mike Mattsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
I don't see the point in starting a set that can never be completed. I would much rather pursue a set like the E95 Philadelphia Caramels which can be completed at far less expense.

Out of curiosity, what would you guess a lesser grade E95 set would cost to assemble.? I'm a set collector, and the inability to reasonably complete T206 does somewhat bother me.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:55 PM

Off the top of my head my guess would be the $5000-7000 range.

James
Old 01-18-2016, 08:04 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsey9 View Post
Out of curiosity, what would you guess a lesser grade E95 set would cost to assemble.? I'm a set collector, and the inability to reasonably complete T206 does somewhat bother me.
It all depends on how low grade you buy the Cobb and Wagner, and to lesser extent, the Matty and Plank. But I've found commons in a decent 3 go for around $100 or less while lesser HoFs like Bender, Chance et. al. go around 200-300 in a nicer 3.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:20 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

James,

I have thought about the completion aspect some. I personally wouldn't take it on to complete it in the overall sense. There are just so many ways to collect it. For example , one might set out to collect Polar Bear backs or some other back. You do make a fair point though. There are a few (especially the big 4) that I would never be able to obtain. I am not terribly familiar with e95. I have looked it up since your post....good looking cards and selection. Is yours a higher or lower grade set?

Having been mostly a postwar collector, T206 is the one prewar set of its era I keep hearing and reading about. Perhaps I will dig a bit deeper....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 01-18-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:22 PM

Robert- the beauty of the T206 set, is that it can be collected so many different ways. YOU make up your own rules. HOFers, Southern Leaguers, Rare Backs, Errors, Misprints, high grade, low grade, etc, etc.

I think starting with HOFers, as was mentioned above is solid advice. I personally am a rare back collector, which always keeps things fun and interesting.

Good luck.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
James,

I have thought about the completion aspect some. I personally wouldn't take it on to complete it in the overall sense. There are just so many ways to collect it. For example , one might set out to collect Polar Bear backs or some other back. You do make a fair point though. There are a few (especially the big 4) that I would never be able to obtain. I am not terribly familiar with e95. I have looked it up since your post....good looking cards and selection. Is yours a higher or lower grade set?

Having been mostly a postwar collector, T206 is the one prewar set of its era I keep hearing and reading about. Perhaps I will dig a bit deeper....

I have collected multiple sets, but no longer actively collect cards and have sold off my collection. However, I still enjoy studying and learning about cards. I should, I'm employed by a major auction house Personally, I just think there is so much more to pre-war cards than T206. If I ever get back into the ballgame again, I will definitely pursue T212 Obak cards. Hands down, the most attractive cards IMHO. May I direct you to oldcardboard.com?
Their website is an absolute treasure trove of images and information.

Last edited by Orioles1954; 01-18-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:12 PM

I'm sure there will be a T206 Wagner in Robert Edward or Heritge Spring auction. If you have the money for it, and if you are deciding if you should bid, do what Tom Cruise said in the movie...

He said, "Sometimes you gotta say WTF"
Old 01-19-2016, 01:34 AM
je.sse @rnot

I am just starting to collect t206 but am not trying to build a set. Just going for Cobbs. The guys who said go for the HOFers first make a good point. Easier to cash out if you decide not to complete it. I wish I had done that with the 52 Topps set I was working on as I lost some money on the commons.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:22 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
I have collected multiple sets, but no longer actively collect cards and have sold off my collection. However, I still enjoy studying and learning about cards. I should, I'm employed by a major auction house Personally, I just think there is so much more to pre-war cards than T206. If I ever get back into the ballgame again, I will definitely pursue T212 Obak cards. Hands down, the most attractive cards IMHO. May I direct you to oldcardboard.com?
Their website is an absolute treasure trove of images and information.
Thanks, James. I had forgotten that site. I will give it a look.
Woo-Pig!
Old 01-19-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Woo-Pig!
WPS Razorback!
Old 01-19-2016, 07:37 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Woo-Pig!
Rob it also depends on your wallet as well. If you have the money going for the HOF players/cards is the wise thing to do.

I started collecting with ZERO agenda. I just liked the cards and wanted some. Then it turned into I want to get all the White Sox players. Then I bought the book T206 The Players and Their Stories, I wanted all of the "Bad Boys" then all of the "Overlooked by Cooperstown", then it turned into just any card that caught my eye. The great thing about this set is you can see cards but you'll never remember them all. Some cards you didn't like at first you can wind up loving. A card that has a certain great eye popping color can do it even if the cards design isn't the greatest.

Speaking from a person who's spending isn't that much that's how my approach has been. The HOF players I do have I've spent under $100 on every single one, they aren't in the greatest condition but I'm willing to sacrifice a little just to own a HOF card.

Just another way of looking at it.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 01-19-2016, 08:15 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 View Post
Rob it also depends on your wallet as well. If you have the money going for the HOF players/cards is the wise thing to do.

I started collecting with ZERO agenda. I just liked the cards and wanted some. Then it turned into I want to get all the White Sox players. Then I bought the book T206 The Players and Their Stories, I wanted all of the "Bad Boys" then all of the "Overlooked by Cooperstown", then it turned into just any card that caught my eye. The great thing about this set is you can see cards but you'll never remember them all. Some cards you didn't like at first you can wind up loving. A card that has a certain great eye popping color can do it even if the cards design isn't the greatest.

Speaking from a person who's spending isn't that much that's how my approach has been. The HOF players I do have I've spent under $100 on every single one, they aren't in the greatest condition but I'm willing to sacrifice a little just to own a HOF card.

Josh, that sounds a lot like me. I know I want to do something prewar, and the T206s have such enormous variety they just seemed like they would be fun to collect. I don't really feel I have preconceived goal going in, I just want to buy a few. I might collect cards with just one particular back for a while. Also like you, and unlike my postwar collecting, I am willing to give in on condition to be able to afford what I like. You have been putting together a very nice collection. I might also check out the e95 James mentioned, but I like what I see from T206 a lot and feel no pressure to "complete" anything in the classic sense. I don't have a huge budget, so I will take it slow either way.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:27 AM

Before sinking significant money into a project, I would advise to research as many sets or types of collecting before starting.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:40 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Before sinking significant money into a project, I would advise to research as many sets or types of collecting before starting.
I agree, James. I am in no hurry. Thanks. E95 will be one such set I will study...along with further T206 study. I will also check out the site you mentioned earlier.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:04 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default Key to T206 - availability

One key aspect of the T206 set is the availability of the cards. Given an unlimited budget you can buy 518 of the cards RIGHT NOW on eBay. Granted, many are simply over priced. There are also a number of great deals on the BST board. Finding the card you can want at a reasonable price is fairly easy if you are patient and not focusing on extremely high end cards. I'm at MN 510 now and the only thing keepin me from getting to 518 is budget. I've got some big HOFers to go. But they are always out there for sale. And generally at a reasonable price. I just need to build up the reserves a bit after some bigger purchases last year. Then I will make my next move to 511. It's gotta be a missing Cy for #511, doesn't it?
Old 01-19-2016, 09:31 AM

Default My mini T206 set...

I am not a set collector, but several years ago I did finish "my" T206 set - all major HOF'ers in either 5 or 6 grade. Very happy with my choices. I haven't bought a T206 in couple years now, but get a big smile looking over the dozen or so cards I do have - no way selling anytime soon. T206's are so classic you just can't go wrong over the long haul with nice copies. Always consider centering.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:37 AM
Duncan

I completed my Highlanders T206 set a while ago and have only been buying tougher backs until recently. I have now started collecting the HOF portraits and really enjoying the hunt. I go for the SGC 40/30 type cards which to me can have great eye appeal despite some technical flaws. These cards are not too hard to find and affordable (except for the Wagner and Plank of course) so I have really focused on centering and image. The Walter Johnson card is the best looking card in the set in my opinion. I saw it first on display at the Baseball HOF and that really got me into collecting the portraits. Anyway, this is one of the million or so ways to collect this great set!
Old 01-19-2016, 09:49 AM
An$on

Quote:
...would you make it a point to target HOFers or might you accumulate as many of one back type as possible, or some other strategy? Just curious, as there are so many approaches.
The best advice I can give you is to look for value - whether the card is a common or not. I started by collecting low-grade commons just because I liked the look/feel of the cards and wanted as many as I could get. That method worked fine for me but, I also passed on deals for HOFers and non-commons in the process.

If I could do it over again, I wouldn't just target commons early on - I'd be looking for cards that were the best value. If you see a good price on a HOFer or rare variation and you can afford it, pick it up. It will save you the hassle of waiting for another one to pop up down the line.

I also wouldn't worry about collecting a bunch and then giving up before you get to 518 or 520 (or whatever your goal is). If you decide midway that you don't want to pursue the set, T206s move very well. I do think it's good to put some real thought into what you want to do and not leap into anything. But as long as you paid market prices for them, you shouldn't have to worry about unloading them for similar amounts. People buy and sell them all the time.

Good luck -
T207 (200/200)
E90-1 (118/121)
E90-3 (20/20)
E91A/B/C (85/99)
E93 (17/30)
E95 (12/25)
C59-61 (149/248)
N28/N29 (83/100)
W545 (158/200)
1901-02 Ogden Tabs (1,327/1,560)
1933-41 Goudey (265/478)
1934-36 Diamond Stars (53/108)
1939-41 Play Ball (368/473)

Complete: E47, E49, E50, E75, E76, E229, K4, N88, N91, R136, T29, T30, T38, T51, T53, T68, T73, T77, T118, T218, T220, T225, W512, W513, W542, W552, W565

Founder:
www.prewarcards.com

Last edited by Cozumeleno; 01-19-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:03 AM
Brendan Mullen

Personally, I just think there is so much more to pre-war cards than T206. If I ever get back into the ballgame again, I will definitely pursue T212 Obak cards. Hands down, the most attractive cards IMHO.

Couldn't agree more! It will be my next project....
Old 01-19-2016, 10:20 AM
T0dd M@rcum

You could always do team sets or back runs. I finished a low grade but presentable set with a couple of rare backs in the $15K range, but I had a head start because I'd picked them up without any intention of doing a set for a long time then one day I looked at it and said, Hey, you've got about 200 of them, why not go for it. Finished the 520 set a while ago. Might someday make a play for a Plank if the right one in the right price range comes up. I am missing the Broadleaf from a Davidson back run but have not been able to locate one.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Whatever you do, take your time. It's a marathon not a sprint. And have fun on the journey too!!
Old 01-20-2016, 11:11 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozumeleno View Post
The best advice I can give you is to look for value - whether the card is a common or not. I started by collecting low-grade commons just because I liked the look/feel of the cards and wanted as many as I could get. That method worked fine for me but, I also passed on deals for HOFers and non-commons in the process.

If I could do it over again, I wouldn't just target commons early on - I'd be looking for cards that were the best value. If you see a good price on a HOFer or rare variation and you can afford it, pick it up. It will save you the hassle of waiting for another one to pop up down the line.

I also wouldn't worry about collecting a bunch and then giving up before you get to 518 or 520 (or whatever your goal is). If you decide midway that you don't want to pursue the set, T206s move very well. I do think it's good to put some real thought into what you want to do and not leap into anything. But as long as you paid market prices for them, you shouldn't have to worry about unloading them for similar amounts. People buy and sell them all the time.

Good luck -
This thread contains a lot of good advice, but I agree with this post in particular.

I've told this story many times,but here goes: Less than a year after I started collecting T206s I had a chance for a Plank, PSA 3. I ended up the underbidder; it sold for around $12K. I could have made another bid, but I decided that I could get so many cards that I needed with that money.

What a mistake. .Those commons would always be available, but a Plank is very hard to come by. And now, 13 years later, those commons are still cheap, but that Plank has increased 500% or more.

So if you have a chance for something special, something you really want, get it. The rest of the set can wait.

Good luck.

Last edited by Sean; 01-20-2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:17 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. You have given me a lot to think about as I study.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:54 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:

Josh, I purchased a copy of The T206 Collection : The Players and Their Stories. I am working my way through it and finding it very enjoyable. It really helps tie a few things together for me and gives me some ideas about how I might want to approach T206. Thanks for mentioning it. I had seen it but might not have bought it had you not pointed it out.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:24 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Buy 3 cards.

1) A raw beater for under $15 that you can touch and not worry about causing more damage.

2) A raw one in close to NRMT condition including nice corners but with a major flaw like a pinhole or crease to keep the cost down. Know what a fresh card looks like and again, you can't cause much damage.

3) A mid-range graded card.

Buy the first 2 from the BST to ensure they are real. Once you have them in hand you'll better know how you want to collect the set.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:28 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Buy 3 cards.

1) A raw beater for under $15 that you can touch and not worry about causing more damage.

2) A raw one in close to NRMT condition including nice corners but with a major flaw like a pinhole or crease to keep the cost down. Know what a fresh card looks like and again, you can't cause much damage.

3) A mid-range graded card.

Buy the first 2 from the BST to ensure they are real. Once you have them in hand you'll better know how you want to collect the set.
Well, so far #1 is accomplished.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:37 PM

just reiterating what most have said here.

There are a lot of T206s on the market. So, be patient and strike on good value. It's a big set and some want to complete it as soon as possible. It's tempting because they are always up for auction or available for sale on the BST. But, take your time, get a feel of what the current prices are, and strike when you can.

when i was actively collecting T206s, I targeted lower graded cards with high eye appeal. Stains, wax, pin holes and the like bring the grade down, but the card is otherwise stunning. I was able to get far - spent way less for cards that I was very happy with in terms of their aesthetics.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:22 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Josh, I purchased a copy of The T206 Collection : The Players and Their Stories. I am working my way through it and finding it very enjoyable. It really helps tie a few things together for me and gives me some ideas about how I might want to approach T206. Thanks for mentioning it. I had seen it but might not have bought it had you not pointed it out.
Great! The book offers a small incite on the players. It usually leads to wanting to know more and additional research! It is a very good book to have and very affordable as well!

Good luck hunting Rob!

Who'd you get for your first pick up ?
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%

Last edited by Joshchisox08; 02-01-2016 at 05:24 AM.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:30 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Great! The book offers a small incite on the players. It usually leads to wanting to know more and additional research! It is a very good book to have and very affordable as well!

Good luck hunting Rob!

Who'd you get for your first pick up ?
I agree...I bought a Bescher (hands in air) in low grade condition.