NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-21-2010, 02:14 PM

Default I'm almost POSITIVE this card features Shoeless Joe...

Hello, I'm new to this board and I wanted to share an observation and get everybody's thoughts. In my 1912 T202 Hassan Triple Folder set I noticed a picture on the center panel of the "Lord Catches His Man" card and I'm sure the Cleveland player sliding is Shoeless Joe Jackson wearing the Cleveland style jersey that he wore when he played for them during that time. I looked around the net and I couldn't find mention of this anywhere and the back of the card doesn't mention the sliding player's name but it sure looks JUST like him. Opinions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (72.6 KB, 3998 views)
Old 05-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Barry Sloate

Welcome to the board Brett, and I must say your first post is a provocative one. I certainly see some resemblance, but that's a tiny photo and it's tough to do really good photo i.d. with it. But it's food for thought.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Michael C

Couldn't it also be Lee Tannehill who is also featured on the other portion of the card?
Old 05-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Barry Sloate

I was looking at the "C" on the uniform of the sliding player and by the power of suggestion thought "Cleveland." But it's probably Chicago so that rules out Jackson.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:30 PM

It is not Tannehill since he played on the same team as Lord (White Sox).
Old 05-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Michael C

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Halpen View Post
It is not Tannehill since he played on the same team as Lord (White Sox).

Yeah....makes sense
Old 05-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc32 View Post
Couldn't it also be Lee Tannehill who is also featured on the other portion of the card?
Michael,

Not likely as Tannehill played his career with the White Sox and Lord was on the same team.

Brett,

Welcome to the board and great observation. It seems like it could be ole Shoeless.

r/
Frank

What David said.

Last edited by Tcards-Please; 05-21-2010 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Not quicker than David to post.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Barry Sloate

I just checked Marc Okkonen's uniform book for 1910-11, and the sliding player is wearing a Cleveland home jersey, and the fielder a Chicago visiting jersey. Interesting.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:35 PM

As Brett mentioned, the player sliding is wearing a Cleveland uniform.

Here is a T5 of Jackson from Hunt Auction:

Last edited by David Halpen; 05-21-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:35 PM

Hi Barry... Thanks for the replies, but that is definitely a Cleveland jersey from that era, and here's a pic of Shoeless Joe wearing it with Nap and Ty...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shoeless-Joe-Jackson-Cobb-Lajoie-8X10-14_991.jpg (58.7 KB, 3850 views)

Last edited by brett; 05-21-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Barry Sloate

Hi Brett- we were posting at the same time, and my last one confirmed what you just said.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Matt Wieder

The jersey is Cleveland, and what can be made out of the player resembles Shoeless Joe, but as already mentioned I think a conclusive ID is going to be tough. I can think of a few others on the Cleveland team at the time (Falkenberg, Birmingham, James off the top of my head) who it could also be.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Jason

Default It's not him.

He never would have been thrown out at third.
ever.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:18 AM

Default My final thouhts on the Shoeless Joe thread I started...

First of all, thanks to everybody for the response to my first ever post! It means a lot because I've been a long-time admirer of this board and in my opinion it's the only intelligent place for discourse with the finest minds in the hobby. Here's why I'm now even more sure than before that it's Joe Jackson... First off, I have this entire set as well as other Shoeless Joe cards so it's not like I'm just being hopeful or trying to talk myself into believing it's him. The last few times I've looked closely at this set, every time I've gotten to that card I've instinctively stopped and said "Holy crap, that's Joe Jackson!". In fact, the other cards in this set that other people now think could also be him (Baker Gets His Man or Too Late For Devlin) I disagree with. The players in those pictures just don't look like Joe to me. Trust me though, when you look at this card IN PERSON it looks JUST LIKE HIM!... The picture isn't blurry at all and you get a very good look at his face. Simply put, it passes the eyeball test. I consider myself to have a tremendous knowledge of Cleveland baseball history as they are my all-time favorite team and I've looked at every Shoeless Joe picture from Cleveland so I'm very familiar with his facial features, build, etc. I obviously thought it was him when I first posted this, but since people started showing pictures of him from the SAME year wearing the SAME white ankle wrap on the SAME right ankle that he's wearing in the T202 picture I now think it's a slam-dunk (and nobody's going to convince me otherwise). He stole a lot of bases in his career but he also got thrown out alot which is another reason I think it makes sense that he would be trying to steal 3rd in the first place as well as possibly getting caught. Also, when you look at the 3 photos stacked on top of each other you see that he has the same exact sliding form with his left hand extended way out in all of them. Sure it's all deductive reasoning, but so is the existence of Dinosaurs.

The reason why I think it's taken so long for this to be discovered is (1) His name isn't mentioned on the card and the picture isn't right in your face making it obvious, (2) this set is much more obscure and rare than others of the era, and (3) too many people just see cards as currency now and don't take enough time to closely study and enjoy them.

Here are all the pictures including the entire 1911 Cleveland team with just 2 players wearing a wrap on only their right ankle (and the other guy looks nothing like the guy with the pointy chin and big ears (Joseph Jefferson Jackson) sliding on the T202 card)... Look at all the evidence, it's gotta be him!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (72.6 KB, 518 views)
File Type: jpg shoeless.jpg (71.8 KB, 522 views)
File Type: jpg 1911SJJ.jpg (27.5 KB, 516 views)
File Type: jpg addie-joss-day-panorama-6500.jpg (73.6 KB, 516 views)
File Type: jpg jacksonsliding.jpg (42.1 KB, 517 views)

Last edited by brett; 05-24-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:33 AM

Brett,

As someone who works in the industry I certainly buy #1 and 3, but not #2.

James

Last edited by Orioles1954; 05-24-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:35 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Brett

Brett- I know you are new to the forum, and this was a great first endeavor, but please keep your thoughts in this one thread and don't start anymore about the same subject. It starts clogging the board up.....as we already have the poll about the card also. Thanks for your understanding.....take care