NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-30-2018, 12:02 PM

Default Scott Hassel - Be careful before doing business with

His eBay ID is mr.ginter

I purchased an item off of eBay and he insisted on waiting until my check cleared before sending item which i thought was wrong because we were both trying to be trustful of each other. Warning flag #1. I agreed to buy the item and agreed that the only way that I could return was if it was a repro, mistake #2. I received the item and not only was it not described accurately, it had far more damage (water) than he indicated and was repaired in multiple areas of the item. He now refuses to refund money and yes, I know I agreed to the terms (mainly I could only return the item if it was a repro) however, given the condition and many issues of the sign, I feel he should either let me return the item or refund me some of my money. Either way, I would be very careful of him and any of his items.

Bob Freedman
Old 04-30-2018, 12:07 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

I have actually never heard of anyone shipping an item before a check clears. Maybe if the two parties know each other well. Other than that, waiting for a check to clear is normal. If someone were to ship and the check bounces, the seller has little recourse. Can't speak to the rest of the transaction though.

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 04-30-2018, 12:14 PM

Default Transaction

Chris, you are correct however, I thought that trust, in this situation is a two way street because now, I have no recourse either. I can certainly understand your point of view however
Old 04-30-2018, 12:27 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

It happened to me once as well. It was an out-and-out fraud. I tried to resolve the issue several different ways, but ended up calling the person's local police department to have them investigate. It was a long process, but I did get my money back. I have been reluctant to use checks for these types of transactions ever since.

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 04-30-2018, 02:11 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Hey Bob,

you mentioned a sign, but I'm wondering what the item is, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 04-30-2018, 03:09 PM

Default Sign

A Hank Gowdy Tuxedo sign
Old 05-01-2018, 11:39 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Long been on my 'avoid' list.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-01-2018, 08:46 PM
Joe Gonsowski

The title of this thread really got my attention . . .

I've been dabbling in cigarette packs over the last couple years and have gotten to know mr.ginter (Scott Hassel). I've purchased better than a dozen items from him, some over eBay, others directly, and I have had nothing but positive experiences. Of more value than the items I've purchased is the mentoring he has graciously extended. He has gone above and beyond what I would expect. Sorry to hear of your troubles Bob. I hope the two of you will find a fair and mutually satisfying solution.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 05-01-2018, 09:39 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Long been on my 'avoid' list.
I think he is an A-hole and he has been banned from this site for a good while.

And I have bought thousands of dollars of packs from him, never again. A real jerk in my book.
I remember when he tried to report me to me LOL. I think he thought we were still hosted by network54 but we were on our new platform. I love it when someone reports yourself to yourself.

Last edited by Leon; 05-01-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:33 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Don't know any of the parties....

1 - Agree that if you are paying by check and I don;t know you well, I'm holding item till check clears. I would never agree to only return something (presuming digital images exclusively were all I had to go on) if it were fake - even well meaning individuals can take an unusually good picture that misses some relevant defect. I'd sooner agree to disagree and move on if a seller was insistent on that term.

Sorry you had the situation - Hope it works out and sounds like the sellers reputation precedes him.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I think he is an A-hole and he has been banned from this site for a good while.

And I have bought thousands of dollars of packs from him, never again. A real jerk in my book.
I remember when he tried to report me to me LOL. I think he thought we were still hosted by network54 but we were on our new platform. I love it when someone reports yourself to yourself.
LOL!!!

I'm guessing you investigated both parties before you came to your conclusion?

Rob M
Old 05-02-2018, 10:28 AM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
i think he is an a-hole and he has been banned from this site for a good while.

And i have bought thousands of dollars of packs from him, never again. A real jerk in my book.
I remember when he tried to report me to me lol. I think he thought we were still hosted by network54 but we were on our new platform. I love it when someone reports yourself to yourself.
Introduce-Myself-e1495733939669.jpg

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 05-02-2018, 11:26 AM

I thought accepting payments in any form but through Paypal was against eBay terms of service?
Old 05-02-2018, 11:49 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I thought accepting payments in any form but through Paypal was against eBay terms of service?
No, only some form of online payments, I believe. And in the not distance future ebay will break most ties with paypal altogether.

Btw, my vitriol for the subject matter stems from him calling out Doug Allen on the board. He did it anonymously. I scrambled his name but put it next to his post, per the rules. Then he got crazy.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:09 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I love it when someone reports yourself to yourself.
Kinda like when Bruce threatened to sue himself.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:09 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

If a seller asked me to any other way than PayPal, I would say "no thanks" and move on, I do not give up my buyer protection, period.

Last edited by Jim65; 05-02-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:24 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffins View Post
kinda like when bruce threatened to sue himself.
exactly!! #archive

Last edited by gnaz01; 05-02-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:40 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I remember when a guy tried to sell me something via email, not realizing that the owner of the site he stole the image from was me.

Then there was the time the guy was trying raise the price by quoting what "another" guy via emailed offered, when the other guy was me. He didn't notice that the "two guys" had the same name and email address.

Good times.

Last edited by drcy; 05-03-2018 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:57 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
I remember when a guy tried to sell me something via email, not realizing that the owner of the site he stole the image from was me.

Then there was the time the guy was trying raise the price by quoting what "another" guy via emailed offered, when the other guy was me. He didn't notice that the "two guys" had the same name and email address.

Good times.
Those are funny.

I came pretty close one time. I was telling someone about a part in a book where the author talked about how different collectors viewed either keeping a collection together by getting it into a library, or having it sold and dispersed to new collectors.
Then she told me she was familiar with it since her son had written the book I was talking about....