NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-21-2004, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Default MastroNet upcoming auction is up.

Posted By: Scott Bob 

MastroNet upcoming auction is up.

I wonder what you think about the "1910 Sweet Caporal Cigarettes Unopened Pack Hoard (15) and Display Box"

http://mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=38405

Any possible T's cards from them???

Old 07-21-2004, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

Some beautiful 19th century lots, I could fill a good portion of my Detroit Old Judge want list. . ., some real rarities mixed into the fray.

Old 07-21-2004, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Old 07-21-2004, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: AdamBaxter

This has to be one of the best auctions for pre-war cards I've seen yet. A little bit of everything. If you love Old Judge and other 19th century issues, then this is the auction. Also an incredible Obak lot (My favs)with some of the nicest examples I'll probably ever see anywhere. Any newbies on the board looking to see some rare issues for the first time should buzz on over to Mastronet's site for a peek. Wow!

Old 07-21-2004, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Here's hoping that the winner of the Obak lot will be someone who's likely to throw some of them up on Ebay later on. I'm already salivating about the possiblity.

Old 07-21-2004, 06:18 PM
Administrator

I'm sure there's more then a few people on the board that are crossing their fingers and hoping that some of those E107's make there way to Ebay as well.

Old 07-21-2004, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Pcelli60

Awesome!!! I hope those packs dont rattle around in those holders, like so many of the items that GAI is grading these days.

Old 07-21-2004, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi All,
These packs DO NOT CONTAIN T206 OR T205'S CARDS! These packs are from 1916 when George Hill, the advertising strategist, and later President of American Tobacco Co. devised the "Ask Dad" campaign for Sweet Caporal, one of ATC's most popular brands. The only cards inside are themed Ad cards based on the Ask Dad he knows concept. This is just another example of GAI's lack of knowledge in grading Tobacco packs. The 1910 Tax stamp was used until late 1917, so unless there's an overprint, it's nearly impossible to grade a pack, but the Ask Dad Carton solves that problem.

PS This is not the first time I've seen this carton or these packs, they've been around for quite some time. Don't be fooled these packs are worth 100.00 a piece , NOT 1000.00.

Be well Brian Weisner

Old 07-21-2004, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve k

Brian - Me and a longtime fellow collector friend of mine were discussing bidding on that lot. You saved us money. Thank you!

PS: The inaccurate description of what cards could be in those packs should quickly be changed. We weren't planning to bid on the lot because of the d**n cigarettes.

Old 07-21-2004, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Steve,
Happy I could be of help, but hate to be the bearer of bad news. I'm glad Mastro mentioned the fact that the 1910 tax stamp was used till 1919(1917 really), but I am dismayed that they failed to mention that any pack coming from a Carton with the "Ask Dad Campaign" would have a themed ask dad card versus a possible T205 or 06. Here's a different photo of the carton and packs, If I remember correctly the carton was found in Northern VA or MD in an Old store building. Have a look, be well Brian

Sorry, I can't get the picture to upload, I'll try later.

Old 07-21-2004, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: steve k

Brian - Thanks again! No problem with the photo if you can't do it although it would be interesting to see. We're not going to bid on it anyway. They certainly have some other "delicious" lots that we're going to bid on. Our goal is to break up a lot of multiple items and try to get our cost back on ebay selling some of it or most of it, but keeping a few nice items from each lot for ourselves - so hopefully it would be like getting a few nice items for free. I know, I know - great in theory but not always in practice, but we'll have fun trying. :)

Steve Katz

Old 07-21-2004, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Elsass

I have never bid on Mastro, it would appear that I will this time for sure. From reading the site, it appears that it is $75 to register, is that true? I do not desire to get the catalog sent to me, I can view what I need on the web.

I know to some of you this may seem like a real dumb ?, please have some compassion this one time...

Old 07-21-2004, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

for his people to make a mistake like that with the cigarette packs. He can't POSSIBLY have done it purposefully out of greed--I say that, because, good God, look at all the other legitimatre stuff he's selling! This auction will set a new record (whatever the old one was--I forget.)

Old 07-21-2004, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Holy cow, that stuff is incredible. Do any of you know how Mastro acquired the Richard Egan collection? When was Egan an active collector? Did he pass away and if so when? I've never seen any articles about his collection or what was done with it.

Old 07-22-2004, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

My favorite Matty card. I won't say anything further about it.

http://mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=38748&CurrentRow=1

Old 07-22-2004, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 07-22-2004, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

Dan, I had thought this auction wasn't going to have a catalog. However, if you have to pay the $75, it's worth it. The printed catalogs are high-end productions, and you will use them as references for years to come. As you bid in the auctions, you will continue to receive more catalogs.

Old 07-22-2004, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan

I just want to bid, I do not desire a catalog. Is registration free if no catalog?

Old 07-22-2004, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Don't know.

I've wondered if the fee is used to weed out eBay fly by night bidders.

Old 07-22-2004, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Come on David, no padding the post count with "I don't know" responses. :-p

Jay

Old 07-22-2004, 02:35 PM
Administrator

I'm

Old 07-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Administrator

sorry

Old 07-22-2004, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

There is an informative article about Richard Egan in the August 6th Sports Collectors Digest.

Old 07-22-2004, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason Smith

Yes, I'm pretty sure that you have to pay the $75. I'm going back and forth about it myself. $75 + 15% buyer's premium is a lot. And the main way it's worth it is only if I think I really can outbid the big boys (and girls). And believe me, the big kids are going to be out in force. You really could start a business by buying one of the sets and breaking it up, and I'm sure people do that each year. Like one person said, they want to split up a lot and keep some things "for free" after selling the rest. That's a great idea. Don't know if I would go through with it. I'd probably get my hands on the lot and say no way to parting with it for awhile at least...
Sports Cards Plus auction let me bid last year without paying, but they would only let me bid over the phone. I didn't get any of the items, but I did get catalogs from them after. I bid on one item at a Richard Wolffers auction and continued to get their beautiful catalog for several years.
Jason

Old 07-22-2004, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan

I guess that I may have to dust off the ol' wallet after all. No sense in staying hidden for too many more years. After all, it is no fun to watch all that good stuff go to everyone else. Since I did not go to the national, I have some greenbacks to play with, I will just have to see what hand I am dealt...so many choices...so little time.

Old 07-22-2004, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

I agree about the fees. I paid the money about 4 years ago and have won a few lots since then. The catalogues alone were worth the price I paid to register. I print out the prices realized once the auction is over as well to end up with a complete reference.

Old 07-23-2004, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: david

the most amazing cards in the auction might be the two oj pcl cards. it may be a very long time before these come up for sale again.

Old 07-23-2004, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

if you BID on an auction, you need not pay a fee for a year, I've been told. Also told how much they love underbidders. Anyway, all you have to do is bid once a year, according to the guy I talked to on the phone. You don't have to win anything. Call them up; check it out!

I DON'T find the catalogues very useful as references, because everything is all mixed up (relatively speaking), and there's no index. Unless you can keep straight in your mind a zillion different "Saved From the Spokes" from a zillion different catalogues. Sometimes something will stick in your mind, and you can refer to it. But wading through a dozen catalogues to find one item...hm..can be sorta fun!

"Nothin but net!" I say it all the time. Nobody understands me, but that's O.K. For instaqnce, next fall, docent classes start all over again at the Asian Art Museum, for a new crop of docents. The old ones (me for one) get to attend. No books, no tests, no private presentations, no qualifying exams--nothin' but net! I think they get the general idea.

Old 07-27-2004, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

about 1/2 of the Egan collection, I'm told.........that is, if there's two lots of 110+ Old Judges in this auction, you'll have two in the December Mastronet auction. I think some things were not set up that way. I'm not sure if there will be 2 more PCL OJ's in there but there are a LOT more Egan lots to be put out in December as I understand it..........

Old 07-27-2004, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Bob

I hate this kind of auction setup. Since we never know what will they offer in the next auction and we will probably way overpay some of the items that we really like. Just like those Elvis hairs auctions. The first jar of hairs sold for unbelievible $100k and the 2nd and 3rd jars only sold for $25k or even less.

Old 07-27-2004, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I know I've made some comments about this before both here and in person to many of you, but I am really interested in the reasoning that goes into lotting decisions in auctions like this. How does it benefit the consignor to lot cards in such massive groups? Look at lot 1046, a lot of 381 E cards from many different sets. I know I'd pay more on a per card basis for some of the cards than will be the ultimate auction result, but there are a lot there I don't want, which means that I don't bid unless I consider the break value to be significant (i.e., the cards selling at a discount). I'd hazard to guess that there are many others like me out there. To me, they are just throwing away money.

And what the heck is this fee crapola? Is PSA taking over Mastro and using its odious collectors club strategy?