NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-30-2018, 09:53 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default Considering getting back into Pre-War...

Hi guys,

I'm mostly active over on the Postwar forums. It's been forever since I've even owned a tobacco card - recommendations on where put my feet back in the water if I want to try this again? I suppose I should go find a cheap T206, but feels like I've done that before. Any "outside the box" thoughts? I've also considered Obaks again...did that briefly a couple of years ago.

Thanks for any insight,
-John
Old 11-30-2018, 10:03 AM
Manny
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Hi guys,

I'm mostly active over on the Postwar forums. It's been forever since I've even owned a tobacco card - recommendations on where put my feet back in the water if I want to try this again? I suppose I should go find a cheap T206, but feels like I've done that before. Any "outside the box" thoughts? I've also considered Obaks again...did that briefly a couple of years ago.

Thanks for any insight,
-John
The market for signed T206 cards is really hot right now.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:07 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBuilder View Post
The market for signed T206 cards is really hot right now.

Ha! No but seriously…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2018, 10:10 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

John, he beat me to it!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2018, 10:12 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default Considering getting back into Pre-War...

Unfortunately I can’t afford to do what I did when I was about 25 years old - when I bought an E92 Dockman Cy Young at a show…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 11-30-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:20 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

What do you like? Are you a set collector? Single players? Favorite Player? Favorite decade? B&W or Color? What kind of budget? Do you like the hunt or just want to buy whenever you have money? Standard size or oversized cards?
There are tons of options and no one can really give you a good recommendation without knowing what appeals to you. Personally, I'm a big fan of the E92 family of sets. A bit tougher than T206, but still manageable to complete a set and enough variations if you want to keep things interesting.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 11-30-2018, 11:31 AM
Gary McNabb

Default Pre-war options

T206's appear to me to be slowing going up in price ? I think a better option would be T205's of T202's , you still can get decent grades (G-VG) without getting yourself in trouble.......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151843924@N04/albums

Last edited by garymc; 11-30-2018 at 11:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-30-2018, 11:34 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymc View Post
T206's appear to me to be slowing going up in price ? I think a better option would be T205's of T202's , you still can get decent grades (G-VG) without getting yourself in trouble.......

Gary, also not a prewar collector and have never considered myself a G-VG collector, but those T205s of yours looked good!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2018, 11:44 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
What do you like? Are you a set collector? Single players? Favorite Player? Favorite decade? B&W or Color? What kind of budget? Do you like the hunt or just want to buy whenever you have money? Standard size or oversized cards?
There are tons of options and no one can really give you a good recommendation without knowing what appeals to you. Personally, I'm a big fan of the E92 family of sets. A bit tougher than T206, but still manageable to complete a set and enough variations if you want to keep things interesting.
That's the problem...definitely not a set collector - my theme more or less for the past 3 decades has been 50's and 60's HOFers. I don't like the hunt so much, normally just buy when I have the money at my disposal. Doing the big names pre-war is likely going to be a slow exercise in frustration for me; this is why I have always abandoned pre-war before. I would occasionally spend big money on a card, then later realize how futile the effort would be to get any sizeable number more. I think that a type-set or doing examples of different players from different sets may be the one thing I could get into and not break the bank. But still not sure if it is a dive I want to take.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:49 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymc View Post
... I think a better option would be T205's of T202's , you still can get decent grades (G-VG) without getting yourself in trouble.......

A few hours here and there looking online over the last two days, and I will agree with you. It used to be you could get a VG range T-206 HOFer (not a name like Cobb or Johnson) for a couple hundred bucks. Those days are gone apparently, even poor and destroyed looking cards of the big boys seem to command major bills today so long as they are slabbed.

Another option may be doing the team collecting thing in pre-war. For my Cubs, 3-Finger Brown seems among the most expensive in the tobacco era, of course along with the poem boys, Tinker to Evers to Chance. But for T-205 they may still be do-able in lesser grade. I'll have to keep looking.

Just price-range wise - I'd say I spend $50 on a card several times a year, and spending more than $100 is a rare event. Just here lately I have spent well more than that on several postwar cards - I won't get into the details but those were pretty much one-off situations - the metrics around which I don't expect to occur again often.

Last edited by jchcollins; 11-30-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:55 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Game Cards are a good way to get big stars for affordable prices.

1913 National Game and 1914 Polo Grounds Game have been two of my favorites, but there are others older.

Here are a few examples:

1913 National Game Grover Alexander PSA-9.jpgAttachment 3359271914 POLO GROUNDS GAME - CHRISTY MATHEWSON PSA-10.jpg1923 WG7 Walter Mails Game Walter Johnson SGC 80.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 11-30-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:00 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

I'd recommend spending a good amount of time running through oldcardboard.com. They have a number of oddball type sets and most of the sets listed have a checklist and at least 1 card listed to give you an idea of what they look like. The estimated value also generally isn't too far off to give you an idea of cost.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 11-30-2018, 12:07 PM
J0hn Collin$

Thanks again guys for the responses.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:14 PM
Steve Birmingham

It also depends on how quickly you like to collect.

I'm mostly an opportunistic collector. I like most cards, don't worry too much about condition, and realized years ago that even a really good type set was out of reach.

If you don't mind the collecting taking a LONG time, that can be a good way to go. Look around at HOF cards, and make a list of the ones you like the look of. Most sets have some really nice ones, and a few that just aren't all that nice. Seems a shame to pass up say a Diamond Stars that looks great because you're focused on Goudey.
Once you have a bit of a list of ones you like, just start hunting them until the "right " deal comes up. Maybe a card with really nice centering and image, but with back damage so it's cheap. Maybe an un graded card that's in bad shape that slides past most people. You'll know when you see it.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:

Another option may be doing the team collecting thing in pre-war. For my Cubs, 3-Finger Brown seems among the most expensive in the tobacco era, of course along with the poem boys, Tinker to Evers to Chance. But for T-205 they may still be do-able in lesser grade. I'll have to keep looking.

That is actually a good idea IMO. As long as you don't go for the Pirates, A's etc.

If it's the Cubs that wouldn't be too bad, and you could always go for low grade. There's T205, T206, T207, E90 etc. Cracker Jack could get expensive, but it's your collection, you can get the Cubs from whatever set you want.

Good Luck whatever you decide.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:35 PM

I don’t know what T or E set will allow you to get major hall of famers in any condition under $100. Unfortunately, I think that ship has sailed. T206, t205 and e90-1, provide the most opportunity for diversity, as they are the largest issues and have the most players. Most E90-1 and t205s tend to be cheaper than their t206 counterparts. But honestly, I am unaware of a proverbial bargain bin for T and E HOF.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:43 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

I'd take a look at M116 Sporting Life set. It's kinda a love or hate set but most HOF'ers are pretty reasonable.

Last edited by DeanH3; 11-30-2018 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-30-2018, 09:16 PM

T205 Frank Baker.

A nice colorful Obak in mid grade (5 or better).

A T216 HOFer in good shape.

Good luck!
Old 12-01-2018, 07:08 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

You don't need a theme necessarily. After my first quest at type cards now I just collect things I like, whatever they may be.

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks for any insight,
-John
Old 12-01-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
You don't need a theme necessarily. After my first quest at type cards now I just collect things I like, whatever they may be.

What is that a photo of?

Very cool. And odd. And slightly disturbing.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:44 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Those are the New York Knights on Ni...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:19 PM
Luke Lyon

I think this might be kind of frustrating. Ultimately it just comes down to having realistic expectations, but any time I am trying to collect something that I really don't have the budget for, I end up calling it quits and selling before long.

If you're going to spend around $50 a few times a year and then $100ish maybe once a year, it's going to take a long time to assemble a fun stack of pre-war cards. I would try and map out a reasonable year of purchases and see how you think you'd feel after a year with those cards.

If I was going to do this project, a year would probably look something like this:

-trimmed or lower grade T206 Brown
-e96 Kling
-trimmed or lower grade T200 Cubs
-two or three raw 1916 m101 common Cubbies
-t206 Overall
-T207 Needham or Schulte
-a few game cards, 1933/34 Goudeys, Diamond Stars, e120, e121, etc

Obviously being opportunistic would be the best approach, but I think I'd end up with something like that. Probably about 10 cards over the course of a year.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:01 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvor View Post
What is that a photo of?

Very cool. And odd. And slightly disturbing.
I'm guessing it's a rookie card of the dog. Might be his only issue too.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:50 AM

Default hello

T206