NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-29-2007, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Default Beginner's Questions about Vintage Card Market

Posted By: Jared

Hello,

I recently decided to collect cards again, this time focusing on pre-1940 cards. I used to collect as a kid, but that was in the 80's/90's, so I really have no experience collecting valuable cards. Therefore I am wondering the smartest way to go about this.

Over the last few weeks I've primarily scoured eBay, looking for t206's, Goudey's, and various 19th-century cards. My intention is to collect a handful of "big name" cards (Cobb, Ruth, Young, Anson, etc.) as long-term investment items. I'm not a stickler for condition, so long as the fronts are clear since I also plan on framing/displaying them in my home.

So before I begin, I'd like to ask a few general questions about the vintage card market:

1) Is there an optimal time of the year to buy? For instance, I tend to assume that baseball cards would probably draw less interest (and thus sell cheaper) during the winter months. Do any general trends like this exist?

2) How do eBay's prices usually compare to local card show prices? After reading a few posts here, I see I'm not the only one with eBay sticker shock in recent weeks. Aside from the recent trend, is eBay usually a better bargain?

3) What are some other good website for buying cards online?

4) What are some of the more reputable card shows that I should look out for in my area? I live in DC, but I know there are some national travelling shows.

Thanks! This looks like a very helpful community, I'm glad I came across it.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Jared- welcome to the board. I would use all the resources you mentioned, and just learn a little about prices. I wouldn't limit myself to a single source. If you are doing this as an investment I would look for the best quality you can afford, at least cards with a pleasing appearance.

Someone else will have to chime in about shows, but the National in Cleveland would be a good place to interact with other vintage collectors.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve

Buy the best you can afford, even if its only a couple cards a year.

Maybe do not buy right now, but rather track some prices for a while to get a feel for value. The price guides can be very wrong.

And jeez, I really, really, really do like nicely centered cards.

Steve.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark T

In my opinion, the summer is the best time to buy since many collectors are on vacation and that way you may find better deals on Ebay.

As for an investment, if you started a few years ago you could have bought great cards for great prices but now you have to pick and choose cards. If you like a certain card and are going to hold for a long time then go for it.

Great to see a modern collector swing to the vintage side. I see this more and more now, which makes it even harder to get the cards you want. More collectors equals less supply.

Edited to say: Web sites showing Dealers selling cards have much higher prices than you can get on Ebay. Dealers have some nice cards but you pay a premium...I don't want to list them here just in case the Dealers get offended by my comments and i think its against Rules of the board...

Old 06-29-2007, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I don't consider myself a dealer but I do buy and sell some as many collectors do. I would be careful about saying all dealers have high prices. I have bought numerous things from 707, even recently, and he has been touted as having very high prices. I have bought from at least 10 dealers in the last year...and I think all were good values. I track stuff a great deal and know what to look for. The key is to know what to look for...then scour the internet, ebay, and private/public auctions and have fun. I would also say that you should buy attractive looking cards...regardless of the technical grade....

Old 06-29-2007, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark T

I did not mean to say all dealers are high priced, i have bought a few cards from Dealers and it was my choice to pay higher than what i thought it was worth or in a few cases lower than what the card is worth. So, you can find nice prices from dealers.

It just seems to me, in my opinion, that certain Dealers are higher than others. And they will not budge on price, they would rather hold until they get what they want. Which is fine by me, its all good...

And by "Dealers" i mean guys who sell cards for a living and have a store on line...Not the average collector who treats this as a Hobby like you and I.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Hi Jared -

Welcome to the board !!! You should go to the Chantilly show coming up in July. http://www.csashows.com (BTW - there are a bunch of vintage collectors & dealers from this message board in the DC area that regularly attend that show)

But, definitely go to the National in Cleveland & especially the network54 Thursday night dinner. http://www.nsccshow.com/show_details.shtml

Alan

Old 06-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jared

Thanks for the input guys.

I'll definitely be headed to that Chantilly card show, thanks for the heads up!