NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 02-22-2019, 07:33 PM
Marshall Spikell

Default CAS authentications by Mike Root ;reputable?

I have never heard of this company or Mike root?Not sure of their reputation or if they are still in business.Hoping someone out there could be of some assistance. Thanks, marshall
Old 02-22-2019, 08:46 PM
Adam Yastrzemski

I use Mike for a lot of my authentication. He worked for a couple of bigger authentication companies before forming his own company. Definitely still in business and he does all of the major shows in the northeast. I am one of their approved dealers and I would trust an item with his cert on it.

http://casauthentication.com
Old 02-23-2019, 05:25 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Absolutely trustworthy and a nice guy as well. He is generally more affordable than the bigger names, but no less professional (IMO).

Jeff
Old 02-23-2019, 06:26 AM
Scott Russell

I use Mike exclusively for my company. With every item he rejects my respect for him increases. I;m sure nobody is perfect, but I have a fun Mike story. Over the summer I took in a MASSIVE autograph collection. The owner had been bed ridden after a kidney transplant for almost two years and wrote to everyone under the sun. Needless to say there were lots of stamps, secretarials, autopens etc. When the collector finally regained his health he started getting items done in person at shows. I presented the collection to Mike with no explanation or information (unlike some people I don't think a good story influences an authenticator!) When I got this massive collection back literally EVERY item that had been obtained in person had passed and hundreds of through the mail items had failed. That was when I stopped bothering with other companies. He is very well thought of in autograph circles specifically too. Check out this link for more info:

https://live.autographmagazine.com/f...authentication
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 02-23-2019, 07:05 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Is this the same Mike Root who was with SGC and
involved in the PAL show in Parsippany? I haven't been
there in a while but if it is the same guy, he really knows
his stuff. I wouldn't hesitate to use him.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:47 AM
Scott Russell

Same guy. He actually runs the PAL show now.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 02-29-2020, 07:59 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

For you guys that are friends with this guy, someone should probably tell him he is authenticating a bunch of garbage for our good friend Jose Tijero.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?item...&_skc=75&rt=nc
Old 03-01-2020, 02:24 PM
Christopher Williams

These were authenticated by CAS.

The below are forgeries.

One seller on Ebay sold four "Derek Jeter" autograph cards. All certed by CAS.

I'm not here to state that CAS is not a decent/honest authenticator, but I am disappointed that they "authenticated" these.

Here are two of them. The same seller also sold one of those forged/counterfeit Kobe Bryant cards.

WTF!!!

eclarkJeterforgeryboth-1.jpg

Below is a forged Jeter on a "1996 Leaf Signature" card.

These all originate from northern NJ.

Whoever penned the above Jeter crap, also penned the below "Jeter."

I have tons of images and files on this crap. I will also state, that the forger of the various cards that I have exposed is improving on their "Jeter."

Jeter1996LeafCounterfeit.jpg

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 02-19-2023 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:43 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
These were authenticated by CAS.

One seller on Ebay sold four "Derek Jeter" autograph cards. All certed by CAS.

I'm not here to state that CAS is not a decent/honest authenticator, but I am disappointed that they "authenticated" these.

Here are two of them. The same seller also sold one of those forged/counterfeit Kobe Bryant cards.

WTF!!!

Attachment 387407

Below is a forged Jeter on a "1996 Leaf Signature" card.

These all originate from northern NJ.

Whoever penned the above Jeter crap, also penned the below "Jeter."

I have tons of images and files on this crap. I will also state, that the forger of the various cards that I have exposed is improving on their "Jeter."

Attachment 387408
I'm not an auto expert, but have seen a ton of Jeter autos over the years.

What's wrong with these? They look like early Jeter autos to me...?

(Asking seriously, not being sarcastic)
Old 03-01-2020, 02:54 PM
Christopher Williams

What year are they from?
Old 03-01-2020, 02:56 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
I'm not an auto expert, but have seen a ton of Jeter autos over the years.

What's wrong with these? They look like early Jeter autos to me...?

(Asking seriously, not being sarcastic)
What year would you say those so-called Jeter autographs are from?
Old 03-01-2020, 03:41 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
What year would you say those so-called Jeter autographs are from?
Given that they are cards that were inserted into packs, I don't have guess the years.

Classic was 1992, Signature Rookies was 1994 and Leaf was 1996.

I double-checked and the Leaf one was literally inserted into packs signed. I attached a BGS graded example. There are many PSA ones as well.

And for Classic and Signature Rookies Jeter literally signed over 10,000 copies that were inserted into packs. I'm not knowledgeable to know whether these were pack inserted autographs or not (my gut is that those two are not). The style looks similar to me to the mid-90's, although you seem extremely confident that is not the case...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeter 1996 Leaf.jpg (76.7 KB, 765 views)

Last edited by Topnotchsy; 03-01-2020 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:12 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Given that they are cards that were inserted into packs, I don't have guess the years.

Classic was 1992, Signature Rookies was 1994 and Leaf was 1996.

I double-checked and the Leaf one was literally inserted into packs signed. I attached a BGS graded example. There are many PSA ones as well.

And for Classic and Signature Rookies Jeter literally signed over 10,000 copies that were inserted into packs. I'm not knowledgeable to know whether these were pack inserted autographs or not (my gut is that those two are not). The style looks similar to me to the mid-90's, although you seem extremely confident that is not the case...
Not one of those "Jeter" autographs "certed" by CAS were pack-pulled.

That's a fact.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:25 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Just to be straight forward, I don't know CSA or Mike Root. I saw him set up at the National, but I don't think I have spoke with him. I have no reason to doubt what you guys are saying about him being a good guy and in it for the right reasons. I was just posting a face that Jose aka us_caine seems to have a number of items "authenticated" by CSA, but Jose beats the other guys too.

I primarily post this stuff to prevent any Net45 ers from losing money. I have no other interest.

I have mentioned before that I buy and sell a fair amount of autographs and I do use authentication when I sell my items. They sell for more and the buyer feels better about buying the item rather than just relying on someone's word that they don't know. This isn't an authentication rant, just a notice so if someone knows CSA pass the word along.

This is a link to us_caine

https://www.ebay.com/sch/us_caine/m....p2047675.l2562
Old 03-01-2020, 04:31 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Not one of those "Jeter" autographs "certed" by CAS were pack-pulled.

That's a fact.
Even the one that has "authentic autograph" printed on the card (the Leaf one)?

As stated, I'm not close to enough of an expert to say you are wrong, and I don't own a single Jeter autograph, so I have no skin in the game, but I'd love to understand how you are so sure?
Old 03-01-2020, 04:59 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Even the one that has "authentic autograph" printed on the card (the Leaf one)?

As stated, I'm not close to enough of an expert to say you are wrong, and I don't own a single Jeter autograph, so I have no skin in the game, but I'd love to understand how you are so sure?
CAS did not cert the "1996 Leaf Signature" forgery. That is also a counterfeit card.

That counterfeit card was produced by the same ring that are counterfeiting Jeter, Mays, Unitas, Koufax, Harper and other cards.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:11 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I will also add that the seller does have items that I believe are good and has sold quality items recently that I believe are good. Many are not so I’m not sure if someone is consigning items to him or if he is just hiding he garbage in with good stuff. I will state that I believe a number of authenticated items he is selling are garbage. Many if not all of the non authenticated cards are forgeries as well as stuff like Puckett, Bo Jackson, Walter Payton, and others. I have seen him sell a number of Rickey Henderson items that I believe are garbage. Judge for yourself, but I’m convinced otherwise. Carry on with the Jeter discussion.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:33 PM
Steve Birmingham

The Jeter card is not one of the pack inserts that were signed.
Those will have "authentic signature" in foil where this one has "1 of 45,000"
The inserts were also hand numbered to 8650.

I'm not an expert, but I did at one time have three of the pack pulled Jeters, all gotten from packs I bought. The signatures are pretty consistent, and signed mostly level. And don't really look much like this one.

Is it a signed common from the set? I don't know for sure, but I'd bet against it being real.
I used to regularly search Ebay for deals on Signature rookies cards, (Yeah, but I like them, so... ) And don't recall seeing a signed common from the set.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:16 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
The Jeter card is not one of the pack inserts that were signed.
Those will have "authentic signature" in foil where this one has "1 of 45,000"
The inserts were also hand numbered to 8650.

I'm not an expert, but I did at one time have three of the pack pulled Jeters, all gotten from packs I bought. The signatures are pretty consistent, and signed mostly level. And don't really look much like this one.

Is it a signed common from the set? I don't know for sure, but I'd bet against it being real.
I used to regularly search Ebay for deals on Signature rookies cards, (Yeah, but I like them, so... ) And don't recall seeing a signed common from the set.
Steve, absolutely correct when you write "But I'd bet against these being real."

Those are forgeries.

I reached out to CAS (Mike Root) and I asked him "What year did Jeter sign these?"

He could not tell me.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:36 PM
Christopher Williams

Here is the third forged "Jeter" certed by CAS and sold by Ebay seller Eclarkjr (who also sold one of the forged/counterfeit Kobe Bryant "2000-01 UP Ovation" cards.

Ebay seller Eclarkjr sold four "Jeter" autographs certed by CAS as "authentic."

EclarkjrJeterForged-1.jpg

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 02-19-2023 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:35 PM
Mike Root

Default Reviewing alleged issues with Jeter Cards

I just wanted to set the record straight regarding items authenticated by myself through CAS Certified Authentication Service. I have worked in the Authentication field professionally for over 15 years. Working as an authenticator may be the most challenging job you can have in the hobby. With that being said I am always willing to review any autograph that is put into question regarding the authenticity. That review process does take some time to be conducted. What we cannot and will not do is immediately discount our opinion based on accusations made regarding an authentication we have done. The nature of the Authentication business in general is constantly the target of criticisms. Our decisions are made based on the opinion of myself and numerous consultants we use from different fields of expertise. I hold myself to the highest level of integrity and accuracy at all times. One of the most difficult things for most authentication companies/authenticators to do is admit that they can make mistakes sometimes. It does happen and the key to evolving is learning from them and becoming further educated and experienced. If more people were willing to try and work together with the Authentication companies instead of jumping at the opportunity to point fingers the hobby would be a much better place.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:32 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

I look forward to a follow-up with your findings on these Jeters. I am sure you are not another Justin Priddy.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:39 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Being up front would start with a name. “All in one” sounds a little narcissistic to me, but I digress. I made the initial post seriously to inform people’s friend “Mike” that his company is authenticating bad autographs from a known forger.

Some or all of these pieces may come in from different sources or “fences”, but only CAS would be able to determine the source and shut down the release.

If this is Mike, hopefully you are in it for the right reasons and will act on this info accordingly. Autographs are constantly fooling everyone and I certainly don’t expect to believe everyone gets everything right 100% of the time. Problem with us_caine is that he constantly sells garbage and has for years.

As the old saying goes, “fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me”.
Old 03-03-2020, 03:57 PM
Scott Russell

Mike has a hobby and gaming store called All In One, it's not an egotistical thing at all.

Reading Mike's response (and knowing him) it certainly seems like he is interested in revisiting these autographs and getting to the bottom of things.

My support of Mike isn't because I think he's perfect. I don't think ANY authenticator or collector is, not even the ones posting in this thread. My support of him is tied directly to my belief that he is a person who is committed to ethical behavior. I know first hand of great financial opportunities that Mike has passed on due to their questionable ethical complications.

Old 03-03-2020, 05:19 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allinone View Post
I just wanted to set the record straight regarding items authenticated by myself through CAS Certified Authentication Service. I have worked in the Authentication field professionally for over 15 years. Working as an authenticator may be the most challenging job you can have in the hobby. With that being said I am always willing to review any autograph that is put into question regarding the authenticity. That review process does take some time to be conducted. What we cannot and will not do is immediately discount our opinion based on accusations made regarding an authentication we have done. The nature of the Authentication business in general is constantly the target of criticisms. Our decisions are made based on the opinion of myself and numerous consultants we use from different fields of expertise. I hold myself to the highest level of integrity and accuracy at all times. One of the most difficult things for most authentication companies/authenticators to do is admit that they can make mistakes sometimes. It does happen and the key to evolving is learning from them and becoming further educated and experienced. If more people were willing to try and work together with the Authentication companies instead of jumping at the opportunity to point fingers the hobby would be a much better place.
If you remember, Mike, I emailed you about those "Jeter" autographs at least ten days before I posted those images here, so that "jumping at the opportunity to point fingers" comment is a bit out of line.

I asked in one of those emails "What year(s) did Jeter sign those?"

I have yet to read a reply.

And to be clear, I am a supporter of all of the legitimate TPAs.

I am not here to bash CAS.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:26 AM
Matt

I'm glad that you keep pointing out the jeter forgeries sinc the only autograph I collect is Jeter so it certainly helps me out . As for the ones you posted , if you know a jeter autograph pretty well , those examples should take about a second to realize that they are forgeries . Not much time should be needed to respond .

Quote:
If you remember, Mike, I emailed you about those "Jeter" autographs at least ten days before I posted those images here, so that "jumping at the opportunity to point fingers" comment is a bit out of line.

I asked in one of those emails "What year(s) did Jeter sign those?"

I have yet to read a reply.

And to be clear, I am a supporter of all of the legitimate TPAs.

I am not here to bash CAS.

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 03-04-2020, 10:05 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

As I said, hoping to see people correct mistakes. I think some of the items that were authenticated are fairly poor examples, but I am certainly not an expert in all. The biggest problem with the authentication game is that you are expected to be an expert in everything (which is extremely difficult) otherwise people will exploit that opportunity and that persons good name. No one wants to hear criticism or even that they may have gotten something wrong, but answering the critics might help.

Scott, thanks for explaining the “all in one” name. It would have helped if he put his name with his comments or at least said, “hey, this is Mike” so we know who is responding. I have no clue how many if any people work for CAS. I honestly only want people not to get burned. Both authenticators and collectors. I know there’s plenty of people who read these threads who can’t or don’t comment because they own a business or don’t want to create a stir. Just want to get the info out there.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:15 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGHPro View Post
I'm glad that you keep pointing out the jeter forgeries sinc the only autograph I collect is Jeter so it certainly helps me out . As for the ones you posted , if you know a jeter autograph pretty well , those examples should take about a second to realize that they are forgeries . Not much time should be needed to respond .
You're welcome, Matt, thank you.

The moment I observed them on Ebay listed by Ebay seller Eclarkjr, I knew immediately they were not authentic.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 03-04-2020 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:03 PM
Christopher Williams

Here's one of those forged Jeter autographs sold by Ebay seller Eclarkjr.

It was sold initially for $162.50 on 2/22/2020.

eclarkjrJeterForgedTopps1993-1.jpg

Ebay seller Eclarkjr just re-listed it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/38345060392...m=383450603922

eclarkjrJeterForgedTopps1993-4.jpg
Old 03-06-2021, 09:57 AM
Christopher Williams

Default Forged Derek Jeter COA CAS

I just discovered this on Ebay today.

This is not authentic. Penned by the same person who forged the aforementioned Jeter cards posted here.

I'm curious the number of these forgeries that CAS "authenticated."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164742198672?ul_noapp=true

JeterCASForged.jpg

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 03-06-2021 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:11 AM
Joe M.

Too bad these players can’t sign a signature that we can read.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 03-06-2021, 08:56 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
I look forward to a follow-up with your findings on these Jeters. I am sure you are not another Justin Priddy.
Looks like Mike is really doing a deep dive into these Jeters! Or, maybe he is another Justin Priddy.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:36 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Looks like Mike is really doing a deep dive into these Jeters! Or, maybe he is another Justin Priddy.
I wonder the number of those he "authenticated."

If you're a major TPA, the one autograph you must be well-versed in is Derek Jeter.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:40 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
I hope not.