NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-21-2024, 09:35 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I've read all the updated articles and I'm still trying to understand where a theft occurred. If Ohtani wired payments to cover losses for his friend, that is not theft. If Ohtani didn't authorize the wires and they were made by the interpreter himself, that would be theft but I don't see anyone accusing him of doing that.
From what I've read and seen discussed on ESPN, the initial reporting was that Ohtani's interpreter said that Ohtani sent 2 wire transfers of $500,000 each to pay for gambling debts of the interpreter. After that, something unknown changed to the story becoming reporting of massive theft. Also, there was mention of other wire transfers having been made and a total amount owed of $4.5 million.

It sounds like maybe the interpreter had access to Ohtani's account and could have been the one who made the wire transfers without Ohtani knowing about them. If so, that would clearly be theft. We'll have to wait and see as more information comes out if this is what happened or if something else is going on.

Last edited by jayshum; 03-21-2024 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:40 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

My first thought was that perhaps the translator was placing bets for Ohtani. I sure hope that does not turn out to be the case.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:39 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
My first thought was that perhaps the translator was placing bets for Ohtani. I sure hope that does not turn out to be the case.
That was my first thought as well.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
From what I've read and seen discussed on ESPN, the initial reporting was that Ohtani's interpreter said that Ohtani sent 2 wire transfers of $500,000 each to pay for gambling debts of the interpreter. After that, something unknown changed to the story becoming reporting of massive theft. Also, there was mention of other wire transfers having been made and a total amount owed of $4.5 million.

It sounds like maybe the interpreter had access to Ohtani's account and could have been the one who made the wire transfers without Ohtani knowing about them. If so, that would clearly be theft. We'll have to wait and see as more information comes out if this is what happened or if something else is going on.

I process wire transfers for my employer. There is only one way for someone to process a transfer on your behalf without you knowing it. You'd first have to authorize that person as an account signer and authorize that person for ACH and wire transfers. You'd also have to provide that person with their own login to your account (if processing online), provide them with your own personal login information, or authorize the bank to contact the person only on their authorized phone number (to confirm via phone). Otherwise, the bank will call the authorized number on the account to confirm, and they won't be calling you, who is trying to make the wire under the radar. They'd call the account holder who would not authorize the transfer.

It would be an unusual level of authority for an interpreter or a friend to have over another person's personal accounts. The only way you could hide the transfer would be for you obtain ultimate authorization over another's personal accounts, or to impersonate that person using sensitive account information you've gained access to. Again, something that does occur in the world of money management, but not usually among your friends.

Last edited by packs; 03-21-2024 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:01 AM
Matt G

Goes to show, pick your friends wisely people!

M@tt G@lvin (formerly LarsHoneyToast)

T206 HOF'ers: 10/76

1956 Topps HOF’ers: 8/36
Old 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Shinpai nai des. Boku wa nihongo hanashimas. Otanisan wa watakshi no tomodashi des.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:59 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Shinpai nai des. Boku wa nihongo hanashimas. Otanisan wa watakshi no tomodashi des.
+1
Old 03-21-2024, 10:28 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
I process wire transfers for my employer. There is only one way for someone to process a transfer on your behalf without you knowing it. You'd first have to authorize that person as an account signer and authorize that person for ACH and wire transfers. You'd also have to provide that person with their own login to your account (if processing online), provide them with your own personal login information, or authorize the bank to contact the person only on their authorized phone number (to confirm via phone). Otherwise, the bank will call the authorized number on the account to confirm, and they won't be calling you, who is trying to make the wire under the radar. They'd call the account holder who would not authorize the transfer.

It would be an unusual level of authority for an interpreter or a friend to have over another person's personal accounts. The only way you could hide the transfer would be for you obtain ultimate authorization over another's personal accounts, or to impersonate that person using sensitive account information you've gained access to. Again, something that does occur in the world of money management, but not usually among your friends.
So you're saying it would be possible for the interpreter to be making the transfers without Ohtani knowing about them but not easy. If the guy owed that much money, it may have been worth it to him to find a way to be able to do it. Apparently, Ohtani trusted him so maybe he abused that trust to find a way. I guess we'll see as more information comes out.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:01 AM

Quote:
So you're saying it would be possible for the interpreter to be making the transfers without Ohtani knowing about them but not easy. If the guy owed that much money, it may have been worth it to him to find a way to be able to do it. Apparently, Ohtani trusted him so maybe he abused that trust to find a way. I guess we'll see as more information comes out.
It is possible, yes, but not without Ohtani giving him the kind of authority you would a money manager or a power of attorney. It would be highly unusual for someone to give a friend that kind of access to their finances if they weren't managing money for them professionally.

Without willingly giving him that kind of authority over his finances, the only other way for someone to make a transfer without involving the account holder is to impersonate them. But we all have our own accounts and we know that you would also need unrestricted access to personal devices (cell phone) or e-mail accounts in addition to a login to retrieve the verification security codes.

Last edited by packs; 03-21-2024 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:10 AM
P.hil €lli$

Default Sell, sell, sell

If I had high value Ohtani cards, I’d be selling them today. Does not look good for Ohtani.
Old 03-21-2024, 11:35 AM
Jay Shumsky

I read that wire transfers to someone involved with illegal gambling would be a crime which could help explain why Ohtani's legal team doesn't want there to be an admitted connection between Ohtani and the wire transfers if Ohtani really did make them.
Old 03-21-2024, 02:46 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
I agree with everything you say.

While Mizuhara is generally described as "the interpreter" and they began as friends, I could very much see his actual job as being more of a personal assistant, in which case having access to all of that info is a very real possibility, especially because of the trust developed thru the friendship.

BUT, the amounts involved would QUICKLY raise red flags to the business management overseeing the accounts.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
While Mizuhara is generally described as "the interpreter" and they began as friends, I could very much see his actual job as being more of a personal assistant, in which case having access to all of that info is a very real possibility, especially because of the trust developed thru the friendship.

BUT, the amounts involved would QUICKLY raise red flags to the business management overseeing the accounts.

That's basically what Daniel Kim said during the second game on ESPN. He mentioned that he had been an interpreter for a while with a MLB player, and the job involved being very much of a "personal assistant". If the player went out, had to open a bank account, was buying a home.....whatever; he (Kim) was there to help guide the player through the process.

Another thing I wonder is.....now that Mizuhara has been fired from his job as Shohei's interpreter, what if any, ties does he still have in the USA? His entire existence was to serve as Shohei's assistant/interpreter. Now that he no longer has his job, will he even come back to the USA? And if not, how will that affect any investigation into what happened?

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 03-21-2024, 07:05 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

How do you short Otani cards?
Old 03-21-2024, 07:22 PM
Fred

Quote:
A pair of scissors.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

I was a professional gambler for more than a decade. I know and/or have met hundreds of degenerate gamblers over the course of my life. They all fit a particular profile, though there are various flavors of them. I'd wager some damn good money that Ohtani is not a degenerate gambler. It's far more likely that he bailed out his friend or that his friend had access to his accounts somehow than it is that he's a degenerate gambler looking to launder millions of dollars worth of bets through him.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Borrow Ohtani cards from a friend, sell them, wait and hope you can buy them back later for cheaper to give them back to your friend

Last edited by Metsfan0507; 03-22-2024 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:07 PM
Bob B.

MLB- "Players, you are not allowed to bet on Baseball"
Also MLB- "Fans, bet on Baseball, (responsibly of course, lol), you don't want to let our sponsors down"
Me- Nothing to see here folks, all seems reasonable, move along.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:18 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

I mean what are the odds of this happening???
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:51 PM
Jim Reynolds

I haven't been following this story much, but did I see something that the bets were actually Ohtani's?
Old 03-28-2024, 01:47 PM

Every time read $4.5 mil, my mind thinks what cards I’d have bought lol
Old 03-21-2024, 09:38 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbvc View Post
MLB- "Players, you are not allowed to bet on Baseball"
Also MLB- "Fans, bet on Baseball, (responsibly of course, lol), you don't want to let our sponsors down"
Me- Nothing to see here folks, all seems reasonable, move along.
100% agree, Manfred and MLB have dropped to their knees and grabbed the hips of corporate gambling.

No reason to keep Jackson and Rose out of the hall anymore.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 03-21-2024, 10:30 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
100% agree, Manfred and MLB have dropped to their knees and grabbed the hips of corporate gambling.

No reason to keep Jackson and Rose out of the hall anymore.
Yep. Or even more reason to stay firm and try to hold the higher ground. Things may get very messy soon.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2024, 11:40 AM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Quote:

..yikes!