NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Default Chicago Negro League Postcard on Ebay

Posted By: Phil Garry

Now that the auction is over, what do you think about the below item?

http://tinyurl.com/23mr32

Old 02-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Phil, it may or may not mean a thing, but this guy knows how to party. Two of his most recent purchases were;

A boom box and a "Booty" cake pan, it's kinda cool how the candle pokes outta the crack

http://tinyurl.com/24fxas

Old 02-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

The Booty Butt Cake Pan is a classic. First time I have seen one of those and I have seen a lot.

Getting back to the PC....is that a really famous team with famous players? Quite a chunk of change that it went for....

Old 02-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Leon:

Although I am not the Negro League expert that some of the other board members are, I believe it pictures the 1910-1920 era Chicago American Giants of the Negro National League and I am almost positive Pete Hill is pictured in the front row and possibly Rube Foster wearing the business attire. My real question to everyone is whether or not the piece is believed to be authentic and produced during the era described above? It appeared that during the running of the auction, the authenticity and money back guaranty questions were answered quite vaguely by the seller.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I don't know about the authenticity of the piece without having it in hand, but it definitely pictures the Chicago American Giants with Rube Foster holding the catcher's mitt in street clothes.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I absolutely agree on the answers the seller gave. Personally, I wouldn't bid on something if I got those answers to my questions.....too much of a headache....best regards

Old 02-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

i have my doubts about the authenticity of that booty cake pan that he purchased. the seller is from ohio so that raises some red flags.the real ones i've seen are much larger.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

"AZO 4 triangles up" style postcards dates to 1904-18 era. So if its a fake which I dont think so, they used the right back for that type of real photo postcard.

For those that need info on stampboxes (real photo cards), this is a good site.

http://www.playle.com/realphoto/ The AZO pics are under "A-B"

Old 02-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

Just a guess on my part, but I say bogus. The dimensions of the front and back of this "postcard" simply do not match, even when given an allowance for cropping.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Administrator

You are correct about the postcard back stamp box. I recognized that and actually it was the main reason that I seriously considered bidding despite some concerns about making a major purchase from someone who did not appear to have dealt in vintage baseball/post cards on ebay before. After doing some research, I found that most all of the other Negro League team postcards from the 1920's - 1930's era all indicated the team name and/or year and/or printing company (2004 REA Auction had several). The postcard in this auction just had a full bleed photo with no identification.

Anyway, I tried to place a bid in the last few seconds and my computer got hung up and the auction ended before my bid went through. I'm sure this type of thing has happened to everyone at one time or another but it remains a very frustrating experience nonetheless.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Administrator

My first reaction upon getting the seller to upload a scan of the postcard back was that the back looked right for the era depicted but the front, especially the corners and edges looked way too perfect for a postcard that was 80-90 years old unless the scan cut off part of the edges of the postcard. I have handled several old baseball postcards from this era and VG-EX is usually about the best condition that you find them. I think a real postcard back may have been paired with a fake front photo.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

I think a real postcard back may have been paired with a fake front photo.

Agreed.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

100 year old real photo postcards can be found in near mint condition. This one was even mailed. The seller I bought this from had a duplicate of this same card that was not mailed and it was even better than this one with 4 sharp corners. Just depends on how they were stored and for how long.

Nebraska Indians at Hartford, WI 1910

I just recently found 3 baseball team real photo post cards in my great grandmothers stuff that was probably untouched for 70-90 years and they are nearly perfect.

I'm not saying that the Chicago American Giants card is real....it does look real to me, but without having that one in hand I think it would be very hard to tell from the photos in the auction. On the other hand there is another thread running in this forum right now with some AZO postcards that are obviously fake.