NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-08-2013, 07:25 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Shipping

Hi, I know many of the people on this forum sell baseball cards. Here is a tip for saving some money when you ship one ungraded card. This won't work for graded cards. It also won't work for more than one card because more than one card will cause the package to become more than 1/4" thick, which makes it a parcel.

Here we go:

For one ungraded card, here is how you do it. I buy a 6 x 8 photo mailer. They are cheap when you buy them in bulk. Because they are less than 6 1/8" high, they are letter sized. Since they are rigid, they become a non-machinable letter. The card and the photo mailer weigh slightly under 2 oz, so the pricing is 46 cents for the letter, 20 cents for the 2nd ounce, 20 cents for the non-machinable part, for a total of 86 cents.

The rules for these rigid photo mailers changed two years ago. Before that these would have been a parcel, and the rate would be $2.07. I have mailed hundreds of these in the past two years. I have been with the Postal Service for 30 years and a Postmaster since 1998. Look in section 101.1.1 of the Domestic Mail Manual.

Hope this saves you some bucks.

I have printed some small labels that I put under my return address so the clerks in other offices don't charge postage due. The labels say:

POSTMASTER: This mailpiece meets the physical standards for letters, as defined in Section 101.1.1 of the DMM. Thus, letter prices are applicable. Also, the nonmachinable surcharge is applicable and the relevant postage is affixed.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:36 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Another option.... 1 card in a top loader held between 2 thin pieces of cardboard in an regular envelope. Under 1 ounce so it's just a regular envelope containing a rigid object (66 cents).

A bit more "work" but you save 20 more cents plus the cost difference between the mailer and an envelope. Once you get the knack, you can package them quite quickly (though time IS money).
Old 04-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Taylor

Taylor, good idea.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

I sell a lot of low grade pre war cards- t206, t205, E-90 etc. I put the card in a sleeve and put the sleeve in a top loader upside down so the card can't escape and get into the tape. I cut a piece of strong cardboard to exactly fit a standard sized envelope and use scotch tape to attach the top loader to the cardboard on all 4 sides. Painters tape might be better. I think I will try it. Plain white envelope marked clearly "NON MACHINE RATE" and "PHOTOS DO NOT BEND". Total cost to me maybe 75 cents for up to 3-4 cards. I have shipped hundreds like this with no complaints. pretty stiff and hard to bend. It allows me to offer a low shipping rate. Naturally for a high dollar card I will take some extra pains.

Last edited by deadballfreaK; 04-09-2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: grammer