NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-14-2008, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Default Buying Cards You See For Cheap Or Spending It All On Something You Want?

Posted By: Addie_Joss

I always encounter this debate when I'm at shows or searching around eBay. I'll always see one card I really want that may be say, 600 dollars. But then I'll cruise to think about it and come across another card I don't really want that may be priced at 400 when I think I could maybe flip it for double the price and pay less than the 600 for the card i really want. I seem to always make the latter decision and end up regretting it even though I technically end up better off financially. I wish I could just spend my money guilt free.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Default Buying Cards You See For Cheap Or Spending It All On Something You Want?

Posted By: Dave S

Seems like you've answered your own question. It's your call to decide whether you'd rather make a few bucks or get the card you really want. If it's a readily available card that's one thing...if it's seldom offered, that's another.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

This post reminds me of someone else's; I can't quite put my finger on it...

Old 02-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Well I know I answered my own question but I was wondering how the decision process gets made with you guys. I'll give you an example, recently I was at a show and contemplating buying an m101 Marquard with a Standard Biscuit back that probably would have graded a 5. The price was 500 dollars. So I cruised and thought about it when I came up to a table where a guy was willing to make me a deal. The guy offered to sell me a 1915 Cracker Jack Bresnahan graded a 4 and a t206 Lajoie throwing graded a 3 for 500 total. In the end I couldn't turn the deal down and ending up making 280 on the Lajoie and 450 on the Bresnahan. Now I wish I just bought the Marquard and kept it.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

I was at a show and contemplating buying an m101 Marquard with a Standard Biscuit back that probably would have graded a 5. The price was 500 dollars. So I cruised and thought about it when I came up to a table where a guy was willing to make me a deal. The guy offered to sell me a 1915 Cracker Jack Bresnahan graded a 4 and a t206 Lajoie throwing graded a 3 for 500 total. In the end I couldn't turn the deal down and ending up making 280 on the Lajoie and 450 on the Bresnahan. Now I wish I just bought the Marquard and kept it.

You don't have a dilemma. You have the same problem as many of us. You're just undercapitalized.

You didn't but the $500 card you wanted, but instead bought two others that netted you $730 in profit. With enough cash, you could have bought all three, paid for the Marquard with the profits and walked away with the card you wanted AND $230 in cash.

By the way, welcome to the club. This problem never ends. Some guys just add zeros to the end of the numbers.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

It sounds to me like you did the right thing. M101-4/5 Marquards are not that rare. You'll find another, and probably won't have to wait more than a few months. And when you find it, it is yours essentially for free. You just spend the profits from your other deal, and you'll have cash left over.

Now, if you are looking specifically for a Marquard with a Standard Biscuit back, you may spend a long time looking for it. In that case, I can see why you would have some regret.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty

That is why you have a credit card. Buy the three cards, sell the two, keep the third and pay off your credit card bill when it arrives. You will make all the money with zero outlay, but some risk. 100% leveraged for a small amount for a short time should not cause to much mental anguish.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:59 AM
Administrator

I woud get into all sorts of trouble if I had a working credit card.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Um. Nevermind. Just had this weird Peter C thought dancing in my head.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Russ Bright

yes, this is the exact reason that my paypal credit cars always has a balance on it, i buy something to turn around and sell and pay it off and then buy another card so my balance never goes down, i would stop if i could but i'm addicted...

Old 02-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

AJ,

you need to plant a money tree in the back yard and then you could spend your money guilt free....

Old 02-14-2008, 08:06 PM
Administrator

I have one but its not in season yet

Old 02-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

I believe in the philosophy that when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. By that I mean that I'm basically an opportunist when it comes to old cards. If I see a good deal, I buy it and worry later how I will turn those cards into something I want. I love to trade, and it's easy to trade great stuff, especially when you get a good deal on it ...