NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 10-23-2019, 06:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Skunks Under our House

So we have skunks under our house. It is kind of smelly. I have googled it and saw some of the things to do but does any member have experience, other than setting a trap (which I might do but it can be smelly too), to get them out of their hole and gone? TIA....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skunk.jpg (63.9 KB, 289 views)
Old 10-23-2019, 07:42 AM
Al Wright

If you've searched it on line you'll probably have seen all these, but here's my experience:
1- Have-a Heart traps are great for something like a squirrel, but larger animals like ground hogs or a critter with the smell of a skunk not so much.

2- One way exit tunnels seem to work for getting them out. Leave them only one exit by blocking any back doors (usually with wire mesh). They only have one way out and the tunnel's one way flanges don't allow re-entry.

3- At the risk of being off color I've personally found that straight human urine is not something any of these animals are fond of. I actually had a ground hog who redug a hole after being tunneled out and would not be deterred by used cat liter, hot pepper flakes or any of the other homespun remedies. He went vamoose in a hurry when I started pouring McDonald's soda cups full of the above right down his entranceway.

4- I've found any kind of pest control services to be exorbitantly expensive and not worried too much about solving the problem.

Good luck!
Old 10-23-2019, 07:53 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Thanks man....Yeah, I am keen on the one way exit doors and the odor causing solutions. I also thought about just putting my water hose in there and let it go....I don't really want to kill it/them as I am an animal lover. It isn't the skunk's fault our neighbors take away ALL of their places to live. Our country street looks more and more like the city every day and it sucks. Thanks again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58pinson View Post
If you've searched it on line you'll probably have seen all these, but here's my experience:
1- Have-a Heart traps are great for something like a squirrel, but larger animals like ground hogs or a critter with the smell of a skunk not so much.

2- One way exit tunnels seem to work for getting them out. Leave them only one exit by blocking any back doors (usually with wire mesh). They only have one way out and the tunnel's one way flanges don't allow re-entry.

3- At the risk of being off color I've personally found that straight human urine is not something any of these animals are fond of. I actually had a ground hog who redug a hole after being tunneled out and would not be deterred by used cat liter, hot pepper flakes or any of the other homespun remedies. He went vamoose in a hurry when I started pouring McDonald's soda cups full of the above right down his entranceway.

4- I've found any kind of pest control services to be exorbitantly expensive and not worried too much about solving the problem.

Good luck!
Old 10-23-2019, 11:31 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58pinson View Post

Good luck!
Maybe human urine works just as well but I recently read where Fox urine is a sure bet to get rid of them.

It can be purchased at most sporting goods stores such as Bass Pro and Cabela's and maybe even online?
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/56651...CABEgI5TPD_BwE
Old 10-23-2019, 12:03 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Maybe human urine works just as well but I recently read where Fox urine is a sure bet to get rid of them.

It can be purchased at most sporting goods stores such as Bass Pro and Cabela's and maybe even online?
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/56651...CABEgI5TPD_BwE
Oh great! I can see it now, going to the PO with a package, reciting the new line. Nothing liquid, fragile, perishable, or potential hazardous. No perfume, lithium batteries, mercury (recently added), or fox urine.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:50 PM
Scott Russell

Shame, as they're actually really cool. We had a stump in our front yard that the previous owner ground down but didn't remove. The skunks loved to dig through it for grubs and had it basically removed within a couple years. They eat larvae and grubs all sorts of things that destroy lawns, trees etc. They're also chill, as long as you don't startle or corner them. I've hung out outside within 10 feet of them a lot, never been sprayed.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 10-23-2019, 04:02 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
Oh great! I can see it now, going to the PO with a package, reciting the new line. Nothing liquid, fragile, perishable, or potential hazardous. No perfume, lithium batteries, mercury (recently added), or fox urine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Shame, as they're actually really cool. We had a stump in our front yard that the previous owner ground down but didn't remove. The skunks loved to dig through it for grubs and had it basically removed within a couple years. They eat larvae and grubs all sorts of things that destroy lawns, trees etc. They're also chill, as long as you don't startle or corner them. I've hung out outside within 10 feet of them a lot, never been sprayed.
The trouble is, they also destroy lawns and if you don't kill the grubs, which come back every year, this problem will persist.

A couple years ago, around midnight, I was awoken to the strong stench of what I thought was Mary Jane.
My son, who was 16 at the time, who I didn't believe smoked pot, was the first thing that came to mind.

Long story short, I went outside on our back patio and was startled immediately by the scurrying of what I thought was a raccoon. After getting my eyes adjusted to the dark, I realized it was a large great horned owl which I seen fly to my neighbors eave trough.

I seen nothing further that night and went to bed as dawn came early at 5:30 am. When I went out on the same patio around that time the next morning, I noticed a large pile of intestines laying on my lawn.

I grabbed a shovel and a plastic bag and as I was in the process of cleaning up the mess I noticed a skunk which looked like it dove into my wife's flowers? I touched it with the shovel but it was stiff.
With a pair of gloves on I pulled out the skunk to notice the head was completely gone.

I have no idea how it got there as where I noticed the intestines this area was about 30 feet away.
My wife's flowers were not all flattened like it had been dropped, it actually looked like the skunk had dove in there without its head??

I did some Google research and found out skunk is the no#1 diet of great horned owls.

Just his year, as one still lives under my neighbors shed I believe, my wife seen 2 great horned owls on the prowl one early morning, and we live in the city.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:09 PM
Ja@ck Win.ston

Great story, Dale.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:26 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Can you try the same technique you used on the fireants, only with a bit more caution?
Old 10-23-2019, 05:59 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

My vision is a skunk chat room discussing how to remove skunks in the House.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:52 PM
St@n Go.len

You can actually purchase fox urine?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2019, 07:02 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hxcmilkshake View Post

Yes a lot of hunters use it to mask their scent.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 10-24-2019, 08:23 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

I'm still trying to figure out how you get them to go on those little cups.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:48 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how you get them to go on those little cups.
T@ylor,

Scrupulous veterinarians anesthetize foxes routinely, provide them with excessive IV fluids and a urinary catheter. When the collection bag is full, the fox is awakened, but the urine, a.k.a. “Vulpine Gold”, is not discarded.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:23 PM

Sorry I can't be more helpful but I thought people might get a laugh out of the way this guy tried to rid his garden of roaches:

https://rare.us/rare-humor/man-tries...p-cockroaches/
Old 10-24-2019, 12:45 PM
Tony Ooten

I had squirrels in my attic once.

I put a radio up there and turned it on full blast while we were on vacation for a week. When we got back, turned the radio off and patched the holes and didn't hear from them again.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
Can you try the same technique you used on the fireants, only with a bit more caution?
Lighting myself on fire is something I don't really want to do again.

So when I heard urine was something skunks don't like I found the 3 holes and had my restroom the rest of the day. My wife said throwing a bar of soap in each hole would help. So I did that too. Then night before last they didn't go in the holes (I guess, there was no smell) and I filled them with dirt. It's raining in Big D but when the weather gets a little better I will put some chicken wire all across where the holes are, covered by heavy rocks. I am pretty sure they will try to find an easier spot to make home. So for the last 2 nights, so far so good. (knock on wood)
Old 10-25-2019, 05:17 PM
Ja@ck Win.ston

Chicken wire can be a lifesaver in so many ways. Just behind duct tape!
Old 10-26-2019, 01:26 PM
Jim

When I first moved into our house we had a problem with raccoons and rats getting in under the house and the later getting in the attic. After a few trial and errors I have found that by installing the brightest led rope lights (most nocturnal animals dislike bright lights) in the crawl space and attic seems to have alleviated the problem for the last three years. Best of all the lights are very easy to install and reasonable to operate 24/7 365.
Not sure it will work on skunks but being a nocturnal animal for the most part I would think maybe worth a try.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:46 AM
je.sse @rnot

We put a lawn in at an our old house and watered it quite a bit to make sure it didn't die. A few skunks showed up not long after. I read online this is a common occurrence when a lawn is over watered. If this is the case in your situation maybe turning the water off for a few days would drive them out.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:09 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hxcmilkshake View Post

Is Kate Upton pee the same as fox urine?
Old 11-09-2019, 01:25 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

I have no expierence with skunks but if u have any firecrackers lying around......

Should scare him out of there never to return
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 11-09-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:13 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Late to this thread, however, a few mothballs in a trashcan stopped raccoons from tipping (insert pun here), Maybe it works with skunks too. No idea about Verlanders