NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-17-2020, 12:26 PM
Rob

Default Stadium flag help needed!

When I bought the purple and white banner (years ago, from an SCD seller named Denny? Danny? Graziano) I was told it was from Wrigley Field. I recently picked up the orange and black banner that I know came form Wrigley. As I remember, Graziano specialized in Chicago stuff. Both flags are 3' x 6'. Can anyone provide opinions or photographic evidence of where the purple flag might have come from )if not Wrigley)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020-02-16 03.30.08.jpg (75.6 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg 2020-02-17 03.16.45.jpg (74.6 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg PennantRace-1024x768.jpg (71.4 KB, 214 views)

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 02-17-2020 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:12 PM

What other stadiums have team flags like that?

I see that AT&T Park in SF used city name flags:
https://thebenjamin.wordpress.com/20...ll-by-the-bay/
Old 02-17-2020, 04:31 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
What other stadiums have team flags like that?

I see that AT&T Park in SF used city name flags:
https://thebenjamin.wordpress.com/20...ll-by-the-bay/
That’s kind of what I want to know. My SF flag was purchased in the 1990’s; before AT&T opened. Wrigley is the only one that hangs flags to reflect standings, I think.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:42 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Denny certainly is/was a Chicago area dealer and I have no doubt that he got his hand on a pennant such as this.

I used to work for the Cubs and this does look like not only a pennant that hung on above the scoreboard but they also had team flags flying around the top of the upper deck on game days. These both look just like the pennants I remember hanging above the old ball park and I have no doubt this is where these came from.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:47 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
Denny certainly is/was a Chicago area dealer and I have no doubt that he got his hand on a pennant such as this.

I used to work for the Cubs and this does look like not only a pennant that hung on above the scoreboard but they also had team flags flying around the top of the upper deck on game days. These both look just like the pennants I remember hanging above the old ball park and I have no doubt this is where these came from.
Thanks for the info, Andrew!

I know the Cubs used to use city names before they used team names in the “standings order,” but I think they switched to teams prior to the Giants’ move to SF.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:54 PM
Rick

Here is one for the Dodgers the seller claimed was used in the late 60's and 70's in San Diego.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-DOD...p2047675.l2557

Rick
Old 02-17-2020, 08:54 PM
Marc

Is this it? There is a purplish/blue one in the middle that might say San Francisco
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flags.jpg (78.1 KB, 179 views)
Old 02-18-2020, 08:27 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Is this it? There is a purplish/blue one in the middle that might say San Francisco
The seller claimed Wrigley. I didn’t know they had flags atop the stadium. I had assumed scoreboard. I’ll bet it’s one from up top.

So, I have both!
Old 02-18-2020, 12:29 PM

It seems quite difficult to find pictures of flags on the top of the stadium like that. I only found that one blog post by accident. Most stadium pictures do not seem to focus on that part, at least in any great detail, or the keywords I was using is wrong.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:58 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
It seems quite difficult to find pictures of flags on the top of the stadium like that. I only found that one blog post by accident. Most stadium pictures do not seem to focus on that part, at least in any great detail, or the keywords I was using is wrong.
I’m gonna see what I can find...
Old 02-18-2020, 03:44 PM
M@rk Comer

Love the Stadium flag! Goes nicely with your San Fran one...
Old 02-21-2020, 11:44 PM

Rob:

I spoke last year with the manufacturer of the very flags supplied to the Cubs for use at Wrigley. Here's what he shared with me:

"We make 2 sizes, the ones that hang up on the scoreboard are 2.5’x6’ while the rooftop ones ae 3’x6’. The scoreboard flags are finished with metal dee rings while the rooftop flags are finished with grommets."

Hope this helps.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:41 AM

Looks to me like your purple "SAN FRANCISCO" flag likely did fly on the Wrigley scoreboard mast. It appears to have a pair of D-rings affixed to the spine. Additionally, the fish tail-end is very tattered--evidence that it withstood some serious wind only the "windy city" could produce.

If you look at the scoreboard photo above, you can see evidence of these D-rings in the photo. Between the first place Dodger flag, and the second place Giant flag (had to slip that in there ), note the break in the white spines. This is where the two D-rings would have been linked together. In order to link flags together like this, you gotta use D-rings over the more conventional grommet, which would tear apart pretty quickly.

Your "GIANTS" flag could not have come from the Wrigley scoreboard mast as it appears to have a pair of grommets on its spine. It certainly could have come from the rooftop, however.

What are the dimensions of the two flags? It looks like both measure about the same height. If it was a modern flag, the purple flag should measure 2.5' tall. But, it looks like it may be 30+ years old. So, I'm not sure if the dimensions the manufacturer gave me were the same back in those days....
Old 02-22-2020, 06:09 PM
Rob

Your info muddied the waters a bit further. The one I assumed was from the scoreboard has the grommets and the one I assumed to be a rooftop flag has the “D” rings. Both are 3’ x 6.’ The SF flag came from a long time Chicago area dealer and the Giants flag was shipped for the Chicago suburbs. The seller of that one said they got it in a Cubs charity auction.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:33 AM

Well, sorry about the confusion. The good news is I think you have at least one genuine Wrigley Field scoreboard mast flag. But I do think it's the purple/"SAN FRANCISCO" flag.

The fact that it's 3' x 6' and not 2.5' doesn't concern me. Today, after decades of expansion, there's more team flags to cram onto that mast. So, it makes sense that, today, scoreboard flags are 6" shorter in height.

Buy your pennant looks old. Such flags were likely bigger decades ago when they only had like 16 team flags to fly up there.

And the "D" rings make it clear this flag flew at Wrigley--and not Jack Murphy Stadium, or any other ballpark that sported team flags on their rooftop. Why else would you use "D" rings if you weren't planning to link the flags together? I can't think of any other ballpark where they did/do this.

I'm not gonna ask what you paid for it but I'm guessing way cheaper than a modern-day Wrigley/Giants flag authenticated by Steiner...?
Old 02-23-2020, 10:10 AM
Rob

I paid $65 for the purple flag (years ago) and $200 for the GIANTS (recently). Here's a better picture, Kyle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 10.01.14 AM.jpg (33.1 KB, 39 views)