NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-02-2005, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Default To share or Not to share ??

Posted By: Chris Bland

I love seeing peoples cards, and part of the fun of collecting is showing your stuff to fellow collectors IMO. Keep em coming!!!

-Chris

Old 12-02-2005, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

why'd Greg get so mad in the first place?

Old 12-02-2005, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Daniel McCarthy

Hal

Please keep the pictures coming. I appreciate your willingness to share with everyone.

Regards
Dan

Old 12-02-2005, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

To post or not to post. That is the question. Whether tis nobler . . .

Keep posting, Hal.

Alas, poor Yorick. Good field, no hit.

Old 12-02-2005, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Keep them coming Hal. I love seeing your cards.
JimB

Old 12-02-2005, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Preece1

I don't think anyone is opposed to sharing. I think for a few it also has to do with wanting to stay in the background, not a need/desire to keep their cards from the public. I think if their was a website where scans of cards could be submitted on a "confidential" basis, and then they could be shared with the board but with the owner not revealed, it would bring out more cards to the public. Maybe a network 54 gallery or an Old Cardboard gallery. Maybe collectors could confidentially submit scans to Old Cardboard and under the reference section, people could see all of the cards in the set and not just a sample. My two cents. Leon, do you want another project on top of the 15 hours a day you monitor the board?

Old 12-02-2005, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anson

Fascination with an E102 Wahoo, Brian?

Old 12-02-2005, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Hal,

Add me to the overwhelming side requesting you to keep on posting them pics!

Old 12-02-2005, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Shannon

Hal, your cards are super and you always contribute within the threads. Its too bad some people will always be jealous or envious of cards they cannot afford or ever have. Im happy with 1s,2s and 3s as long as they are Vintage. Keep posting Hal Shannon

Old 12-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: nbrazil

hal, collectors are natural exhibitionists. to lock your collection up in safe means you're not really collecting...but investing. cards, especially the ones you have, are meant to be shared with others. your website has been instrumental in helping me with my own pursuit of HOF rookie cards.

Old 12-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

Hal has the king card of Crawdad. Have you seen it? It is a screemer.

Old 12-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Dawson

Hal, by all means, please continue to post scans of, and share your cards with us! As a member of the military, I will undoubtedly never be able to afford to get my own copies of the more popular and expensive cards that you've been able to obtain. Seeing scans here and on your website, and sharing your excitement over obtaining these cherished cards is the best I'm going to do, other than going to a show and happening to see some.

I, in absolutely no way, consider you a "show off"!

KEEP 'EM COMING!!!!!

Steve

Old 12-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

I love to see the cards posted -and your kind to share--if you have some T210's let's see them ---Thanks

Old 12-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Keep 'em comin', Hal!!!

It's great to see the board offer so much support of a fellow collector.
You're right, Leon; it is 'lovey,lovey,kissy,kissy' and
refreshing as can be, given our tendencies lately to
'chew each other up'.
I'm glad to see the support go Hal's way, and by osmosis (somehow)
to all of us on the board.
I think I'll go buy some Christmas presents!

fine collection and collector, Hal

all the best,

barry

Old 12-02-2005, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan Zimmerman

i mean, really, was this thread even necessary? the only purpose it serves is to kiss someone's arse. in fact, it took someone with an ego to start this pity party of a thread in the first place. it's like if someone walks around long enough saying "i'm ugly, i'm ugly", eventually someone is going to tell them they aren't ugly and then all the time they spent saying "i'm ugly" would have been worth it, because someone would have placated them, validated their existence and re-assured them. this is far and away the most masturbatory thread i've ever come across in my life. invite me to any party you want except for a pity party. this is pathetic.

having said all that....share your cards or don't. who cares what i, or anyone else on this board, thinks?

alan

Old 12-02-2005, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

post away hal...and when u win that e107 wagner, i hope you'll also let us know.

Old 12-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

I have only read Hal's opening post, so if all of my statements have been said before by other members of the board, I apologize. First off, before I had ever heard of this board I ran into his website since he has it linked in his "about me" page on EBay. WOW, I spent 30 minutes (or more) going through every page and looking at some specific cards. It was obvious I had stumpled upon someone that wasn't your average collector. I e-mailed him and stated how much I enjoyed his website/cards. I also identified myself as a collector too, but with a far more "humble" collection. Hal took the time to respond to my e-mail. I didn't expect this. He was gracious and actually stated and implied the notion of collections are a function of when you start collecting and even though I referred to my collection as "humble" it was a collection to be proud of. Nothing about the man or his e-mail was even remotely "high and mighty."

The criticism that Hal has received is pure jealousy. I'm jealous of Hal's collection too, but only a little bit. Sure I wish I had some of those cards. As a mature adult, the emotions that are most pronounced are admiration and appreciation. I like the fact that he shares with us. It's OK to be jealous. It's probably healthy, but showing it in a disrepectful manner is not mature or healthy. Being jealous to the point where you don't want him to show his cards is not only unhealthy, it's weird. Why would you not want to see them?

Old 12-02-2005, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Spaeth

I see the post more as a manifestation of insecurity than ego (needing external validation in the face of criticism). That said, I think the overwhelming show of support for Hal was fairly predictable given his stature on the Board, and I assume Hal expected the same, which does kinda beg the question why post in the first place. Anyhow, the thing I found most interesting in Hal's post was his statement that there was something "off" about people who don't publicize their collections which I thought would be an interesting touchstone for further genuine discussion, but it doesn't seem to have gained much traction.

Old 12-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

I enjoy seeing people's pics - that's one of the main reasons this board is worthwhile for me to visit. I'm glad Hal is willing to share...and it's clear that many others appreciate it like I do.

With that said - I wouldn't expect anyone who doesn't like it to post in this thread. Whatever their reasons may be, it's clear that they will be villified if they come out and say what they feel. I'd imagine those emails that Hal has been getting are from people who have not posted in this thread.

Old 12-02-2005, 12:12 PM
Administrator

You were hoping for a nice discussion on a wider range of subject matter? Apparently you have mistaken this thread (and this board at times for that matter) as something other than what it is: a) a tool for shameless self-promotion, ego stroking and b) a place to sell your cards. some of you may say, "not true" and cite 10 threads where useful information was exchanged. i answer simply: for every rule, there are exceptions which only serve to validate the rule. those threads, few and far between, are the exception.

For every thread filled with useful information, such as exposing a crook in the hobby, or discovering a new card issue/type, there are 20 threads, filled with bile, ranging on subjects from the ever popular "hey check out my new cards, jealous?" to "you know who sucks? PSA."

Far be it from me to get in the middle of the boards collective handjob on one of its' most respected members. I don't want to be labeled a cockblocker.

Anyway, continue with your fun, but don't expect the common courtesy of a reacharound.

Old 12-02-2005, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David McDonald

Tone it down, brah!

Old 12-02-2005, 12:48 PM
Administrator

i'm not here to win friends and influence people (obviously). i'm here to collect cards and educate myself on the hobby, not the b.s. that goes along with it...brah.

Old 12-02-2005, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Hey Hal, I've never met you in person, but you seem like a good and honest person, who happens to have some damn expensive baseball cards. You obviously have a genuine interest and knowledge in the material. Your posts and pictures are an enjoyable addition to this board and I'm sure most would agree with me .... One person complaining loudly, doesn't make him a majority.

Old 12-02-2005, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

Hope he does not order you guys to drink the grape punch.

Old 12-02-2005, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Daniel Bretta

I wish more people would actually post to this site. This board does not get so much action that people should really complain much about what is posted here. Leon puts up the number of hits here on occassion and it blows me away the number of lurkers that must visit this site on a daily basis. For someone to actually complain about Hal posting pictures of his cards is just stupid. I don't care if he posts it to brag or to educate I just like to look at vintage cards. If you don't then move along you've come to the wrong place.

Old 12-02-2005, 01:11 PM
Administrator

reminds me of an old monty python bit:

"You are ALL individuals."
-(crowd in unison) "We are all individuals!"
-(lone voice) "I'm not."

Old 12-02-2005, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Hal- I think most of us here have come to the realization that we aren't going to bed Angelina Jolie but we do have girlfriends or wives who are attractive in their own right. So it is with cards, I'll never own a T206 Wagner but I am glad someone like you does and I don't mind seeing a scan of it. Post your scans, anyone who doesn't like them can just skip the thread.
TBob
P.S. Now if you ARE bedding Jolie and also own a Wagner, then I WOULD be pissed.

Old 12-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew Parks

On second thought, Hal, I've been convinced!

Screw being appropriate and encouraging to each other! This is all about blood - survival of the fittest - he who dies with the most toys that no one ever sees wins - screw you - but don't screw me - keep your crap to yourself - it's all about me not you - now sell me your cards for less than you paid and do it now - and shut your pie hole about that reccius card -- it's a 1 FOR CRYING OUT LOUD - it's crap!

Old 12-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

"One man plus the truth equals a majority" -- Milton Friedman

Or, as my mom would say when someone disagreed with her, "Shows how dumb you are."

Old 12-02-2005, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

I am also a Monty Python fan...

and I am glad you will understand when I fart in your general direction.

Old 12-02-2005, 01:29 PM
Administrator

i just want to state, for the record, that i have nothing against Hal or his affinity for scans. I do however, have something against threads such as this, which serve no USEFUL purpose except to work monty python into the conversation. so, if posts like this bring us to python, then i am all for them.

alz

Old 12-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Aniston v. Jolie might be more interesting than SGC v. PSA. EDITED TO SPELL HER NAME RIGHT

Old 12-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Hal- You must then remember the morbidly obese man who eats one mint too many and explodes. One of Monty Python's funniest scenes ever.

Old 12-02-2005, 01:31 PM
Administrator

go rent gia if you want some jolie.

Old 12-02-2005, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: damian

Cards Hal, just the cards.

( o )( o )

only thing i don't understand is why you feel you have to defend yourself against those people, i appreciate every card that people post, i think they are great. i had a friend give me a t206 Manning because i told him i felt like a loiterer!

Old 12-02-2005, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Can we just all give Hal a general "huzzah!"?

Or how about HAL IN 2008!

And then can we talk about something else other than "feelings?" At this point, I'll even take some more lawyer jokes.....

Old 12-02-2005, 01:47 PM
Administrator

why arent there more irish lawyers? because none of them can pass the bar.

Old 12-02-2005, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Nate

hahahahahaha!!!

Old 12-02-2005, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Apologies if this has been posted. Why did the lawyer cross the road? To sue the chicken on the other side.

Old 12-02-2005, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

I agree that Hal (and anyone else) should go right ahead and post whatever scans they want - it doesn't have anything to do with what I or anyone else feels is the motivation behind it - it has to do with this board being a place where people can for the most part post whatever they like regarding vintage cards. That said, I also share Alan's distaste for pity parties and agree with him that the thread really has no point except ego stroking and for people to blow kisses in Hal's general direction.

No offense Hal, but did you really expect any negative responses to this thread?

Old 12-02-2005, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

This is a free board for everyone to enjoy!!! If you are looking at your computor screen in your trailor or mansion. What makes Network54 great is we get to see and read all different types of attitudes and items. Hal you are at the high end where I think it's super you would share with us everything you have done.

There are more Hal's out there that do not do this nor share their collections too.. Why collect then??????? Set up a website or photo gallery to let people enjoy! I know if I had the stuff Hal does I would be doing it the same way.

Whoever gave Hal a negative e-mail about doing this is wrong.. I'll bet you if they won a 100 million dollor lottery they would spend most of it on BB cards and be proudly be displaying here on this very board. Where else can you do it??

Now if someone would give me tonights powber numbers I can proove my case..

Old 12-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dennis W.

I've been a member of this forum for a couple of years now and although I don't post very often I felt the need to respond to this thread. In all honesty, when I saw Hal posting his cards in the subject thread my initial thought was "Jeez man give us a break". Keep in mind that my thoughts are coming from someone who has just finished liquidating his meager collection for the second time in 2 years so that I can hopefully make ends meet. I had to do the same thing last Christmas. I did not, however, email Hal or respond negatively on the thread. To my knowledge, I have never had any dealings with Hal - But I understand he is a very nice guy.

After my initial thoughts I put myself in Hal's position. If I had a collection as nice would I post them? You're darn right I would. Not to show off but to share - just as Hal has done. Hey, it's no fun to own a show car and never take it for a spin. Thanks for sharing Hal.

Lastly, I do have a problem with some comments made on this board. I have seen threads started by people concerning modern sports cards. These people may have not paid close enough attention to the theme of the board and not realized it was for vintage cards, or maybe it was a kid just looking for advice on something he/she can afford to collect. I am ashamed, as a board member, at some of the responses these people received. Their cards have been called "shiny pieces of crap" and they've been told, in a rude fashion, not to post that crap here anymore. These responses have probably led people to believe that this forum is for rich, obnoxious people to show off their high dollar cards. Therefore, when someone does share their high-end collection it's probably easy for some people to get the wrong idea. The next time anyone thinks about calling the new stuff "shiny pieces of crap" think about that 10-year-old kid who just cut some grass and bought baseball cards with his earnings - just like most of us here did years ago.

I want to make sure that everyone understands that my response is not being critical of Hal, as I said thanks for sharing Hal. So, in closing, If you don't like looking at Mona Lisa's don't go to a museum or If you don't like looking at Shelby Mustangs don't go to a car show.

Old 12-02-2005, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: FYS

Hal,

I for one applaud you for being one of the few collectors of elite high dollar cards that post and share. It would be nice if you could speak with others and encourage them to participate.

Old 12-02-2005, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

I dont think that Hal posted for an "A" okay from anyone,
but as always some didnt read through the fine print and gave idle responses ,yes.

It is fun to share and beats boredom of some "typical posts"
such as "is this card real"?

Just like whiners at cards shows stating "why did he bring that card to the show and not have it for sale???....define the word show !

Iam challenged to manuever my collection around to get other
items, once it is no longer challenging ,will I quit?...do
not know...well of course not....part of the fun though.

SHOW me them cards and keep my BOOSEGUMPS a tummin!

Old 12-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Hal,

I'm sure you know that if you have valuable cards or a valuable collection, there will be people that will criticize you. Heck, even I've been criticized(ha!)Mostly, its just jealousy.

Hang in there--we'll love ya even more when you show us those 33 Goudey Ruth psa 9s you have been hiding.

Jim

Old 12-02-2005, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Thompson

My SGC T206 collection pales in comparison to nearly every other T206 collection, but to paraphrase the quote from Full Metal Jacket..."There are many like it but this one is mine".

(My Nate Colbert player collection is, of course, without equal!)

Scott

Old 12-02-2005, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

I really don't see what the issue is here to be honest with you. I have written Hal myself on a couple occasions about his great site and I honestly must say that I visit it about once a week. I have no idea why this is even an issue and by the threads, a large majority of you (almost all) seem to enjoy the scans and I hope Hal can continue to share with the Board as well as others who have high quality cards and truly enjoy the collecting experience.

DJ

Old 12-03-2005, 12:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RC McKenzie

The Rothko Chapel is here in Houston, though I've never been, I've heard it's nice. I enjoy seeing pics of his paintings on the web.

If Gary Carter etal is afraid to post his collection on here then that's his deal.

The only person I've ever met that gives a rat patoot about my baseball cards is my brother, and that's only because I forced him to like baseball cards when we were kids.

Hiding a Rothko may be prudent, hiding your rare baseball cards is laughable.

Old 12-03-2005, 04:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike McGrail

Hal, you the man!

Please share at will

Mike

Old 12-03-2005, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

RC, tell that to Ben who had nearly his entire collection stolen from his home.