NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-04-2005, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Default boy does this seller have an amazing array of Old Judge cards for sale

Posted By: warshawlaw

All high grade, all major stars. Someone sure will gobble them up...

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbutchmccrayQQhtZ-1

Old 12-04-2005, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

This is a TEST, this is only a TEST. If this was a real buying opportunity, the ALARM that you heard would be followed by instructions and requests on which cards to bid on, and which ones to leave for Warshawlaw.

Old 12-04-2005, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JudgeDred (Fred)

Adam,

I emailed the seller and asked them if I could see the cards in person. I told them I lived a few hours drive from them but I wouldn't mind making the trip. Here's the response I received:

Hi, with my household in upheaval I couldn't even imagine arranging for something like that right now. I'd rather just list the cards from the advice I received on them.

I then sent a reply 3 days ago stating I would never dream of meeting them at their home and I'd gladly meet them at a local eatery and pay for their meal. No response - I wasn't expecting one...

Old 12-04-2005, 08:15 AM
Administrator

I'll be honest with you guys, the scans/pictures provided make the cards look real. The album removal on the back, the slight curl to the cards, the color... I'm almost a believer myself... Now, would it be worth the few dollars to find out?

Old 12-04-2005, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bigfish

I am no expert on these cards. I just bought 25 different ones and am comparing the ones I have left to these. This is too good to be true. I am sure they must be reprints but who knows

Old 12-04-2005, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

The description has all the tell tale signs of a scam artist. They took them to a local card shop and the dealer advised them to sell them on eBay as a reprints? Give me a break. Does anyone know of any dealer that would offer that sort of advise? Have to admit, the curve of the cards looks good, but the one Anson I looked at, the picture didn't look right. Maybe someone skinned some actress cards.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 12-04-2005, 09:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob

The previous poster seems to be taken in by the scans. I am impressed that they look real in the pictures. Oh course, the images come from the Library of Congress: the peculiar stain across the head and irregular cut of an Anson card in the LOC website is also present on the seller's "card".

Old 12-04-2005, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

and NOBODY got taken in!

Old 12-04-2005, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

If you really want to sell a fake well, why not make it a little less obvious and not put up two Anson portraits?

Old 12-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Adam,

You mean you weren't being sincere? Holy crap, sarcasm? You wanted some schmo to get taken? Say it aint so... you know I'm being sarcastic Adam...

I couldn't believe it when I first saw those cards... they looked good but the item description says it all. If someone went to the trouble of skinng actress cards I'd like to see the final product just to educate myself a little more.

Old 12-04-2005, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Some eBayers have an image of a card that looks 100% genuine and state, "Look at this picture. This is exactly what you are getting." And they aren't lying. The winner gets a print out of the picture.

Old 12-04-2005, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: damian

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1133227455/last-1133245432/Old+Judge+ebay

Old 12-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

RobMike, You have an incredible eye with a keen memory to spot that Anson. I knew I had seen that crease through his head before but couldn't place it. The card clearly shows the stain and the photographed crease on the Anson. It also is washed out as a photo would be. The knowledge on this board is incredible and you guys are an asset to the collecting world. My hat's off to you. It keeps less knowledgable collectors (like myself) from taking a chance on cards like this and saving their money for the real thing. I wonder how many people that don't visit here are saying to themselves, " Well they might be real. Do I pull the trigger?" Good work Rob. Joe

A scared man can't gamble and a jealous man can't work.

Old 12-05-2005, 02:24 PM
Administrator

The auctions are starting to end and those are some prety good prices for stated re prints. Are old re prints really worth that much? I guess there are worth that much to the people who are buying them. All I say is enjoy.

Old 12-05-2005, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Boy there aer going to be a few ticked off people when they get the advertised reprints. Here are the scans of one of the Ansons and the tell tale Galvin that the guy picked off the internet (these pics are readily available on the internet). The Hole in the Galvin is perfectly matched with the picture below. Go ahead and compare the pics, this seller is a total A-hole. The ebay link is on top of the picture.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1887-Old-Judge-Tobacco-Galvin-Pittsburgh_W0QQitemZ6231334254QQcategoryZ4120QQssP ageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/1887-Old-Judge-Tobacco-Capt-Anson-Chicago_W0QQitemZ6231336191QQcategoryZ4120QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 12-05-2005, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: craig

prob are all reprints. most of you are far more knowledgeable than i am concerning OJs.

things i found interesting are:

1. if the pics of them did come the LOC how did he come about the pic of the cody, des moines? it is not on the LOC, at least i couldn't find it.

2. the scan of the backs of them, in the cody listing, appears to show the border from the front of the cards on the back; shadowing, bleed through, etc.

seller is far too shady for me to consider spending my limited budget on this doubtful possibility. however, i would be very interested knowing if any fellow board members happens to take a chance on these and finds out that they were real.

craig

Old 12-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Craig,

There are many images on the internet available. The Keefe wasn't on the LOC website either but do you think that the guy is only going to try the scam with a few cards. I don't think so. If these people pay him he'll be way ahead of the game and I don't think the person really cares anyway - a thief is a thief.

If the idiot had any sense they would have sold a few real ones first, got the positive feedback and then pulled out the garbage. Holy cow, what an idea, I'll have to try that sometime.... I scare myself sometimes with these ideas...

Two people beat each other up over these cards AARON755HR and JAREDANDIAN. I emailed both to give them a heads up. I should have congratulated them for winning some highly sought after reprints.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

I wish that auctions houses and others that supplied pictures on the internet had some type of copyright mark on the photo that distinguishes who the photo belongs to. I know that it's asking alot but in the long run it may get rid of some of these stolen pictures that show up on eBay and other types of con jobs.

It gets tiring in the long run to have to request a photo with your name written on a piece of paper to make sure the seller owns the card. While most of these can artist normally have low feedback all it takes is someone ready to clean house.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Daniel Bretta

$1,500 for seven cards.

Seven stated reprints with a horrible story to go with them.

It's no wonder ebay is full of this crap.

Old 12-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Here's the latest email I received from the seller...

Hi. Yes, I know that they are reprints, as the person who told me that was pretty convincing. I was hoping to convey in my auction on how original and old they look, which they do! I had a number of questions in my box recently that I didn't respond to. I wasn't ignoring yours. I emailed one of the buyers and asked him if he was buying with the intent on them being real(and my information incorrect), or with my description as the purpose. I respect your expert opinion, and I had already got on opinion on them before I listed them. The cards are very cool, and my description of the item is right on. If the winners balk, then I would probably relist them with a different description, though I was told that the material of the card is 100% old. I want to sell them, as everyone I show them to likes them, so they are of interest to people, and are a good conversatin piece.

I thought I was being upfront in my auction, though while i was trying to convey on how cool they looked, I may have caused a little excitement. What do you think?

The sad part about this is that the seller did convey they were probably reprints in a round about way.

Lets lead a few more horses to the watering hole and let them drown themselves... geesh...

Old 12-06-2005, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

If you check, you will find that some of these 100% old cards sold for over $300. a piece, others >$100.

I think one guy bought three for around a grand.

This is no longer a joke.

Oops, I woke up a lil' late on the auction closing, Im glad you all have responded to the "winners".

Old 12-06-2005, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Why is it that "old" reprints are better, i.e., more valuable, than "new" reprints. I guess "old" counterfeit money is worth more than "new" counterfeit money.

Old 12-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: William Heitman

No longer listed. Forever forgotten.

Old 12-06-2005, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Poof on his second lot of reprints? Wonder what happened. E-bay didn't pull his first go around. Your right forgotten for now, but where will they turn up next? And what un suspecting buyer will be taken again.