NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-15-2013, 08:27 AM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I'm sure the purists on the board crack open all their PSA 10 holders so they can feel the cards.
I heard all the purists are closet PSA 10 collectors.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:30 AM
pete ullman

This whole psa debacle wreaks! Nothing new at all...all that goes up...well y'all know how this ends!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 AM
banned
Bi.ll Hol.ler

Not a big secret but we had a group sub on CBT last month. I sent in a card that I know was trimmed. Watched it get trimmed. It's in a PSA 9 holder now. In the same sub, I had two 1971 Topps PSA 8 crackouts that got an EOT.

The trimmed PSA 9 will be on eBay soon with a large disclaimer.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:05 AM
$cotty @.utin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsutigers1973 View Post
The trimmed PSA 9 will be on eBay soon with a large disclaimer.
I doubt your buyer will be as honest. Why even put this in the market if you know it is bad? Why send it in if you watched it get trimmed? This is borderline in my eyes.

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 01-15-2013, 09:07 AM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by smotan_02 View Post
I doubt your buyer will be as honest. Why even put this in the market if you know it is bad? Why send it in if you watched it get trimmed? This is borderline in my eyes.
^^ What he said... Crossing the borderline, actually.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:17 AM
banned
Bi.ll Hol.ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smotan_02 View Post
The point was to list a worthless card at about $250k with an explanation in the listing. Yes I am bitter towards PSA and yes I hold grudges.

Bi.ll Hol.ler
Old 01-15-2013, 09:24 AM
pete ullman

PSA is a joke...and a scourge on this wonderful hobby...and I hope that good ol' Joe O gets what he deserves sometime soon!

Last edited by ullmandds; 01-15-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:39 AM
David G0ld

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
PSA is a joke...and a scourge on this wonderful hobby...and I hope that good ol' Joe O gets what he deserves sometime soon!
Well, Mr. Orlando seems to provide superb customer service. At least to his BIG one's. Small customers like me get publicly called out by him on his message board as trouble makers and conspirators.

And when you make a comment like this "We will not tolerate that kind of behavior. It is unhealthy for the community and the hobby, not to mention flat out wrong." you certainly set yourself up for a HUGE fall should any of those conspiracies ever turns out to be true.

Someone mentioned the Wagner Card. Did PSA know it was trimmed? What was the deal behind that?
Old 01-15-2013, 09:51 AM
pete ullman

Did PSA know the Wagner was trimmed? Are u joking? Do a little archival searching and you'll find the answer to that!

It's a long read...but worth it!

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ghlight=wagner

Last edited by ullmandds; 01-15-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:00 AM
David G0ld

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Did PSA know the Wagner was trimmed? Are u joking? Do a little archival searching and you'll find the answer to that!
Sorry - I am new here. I forget there would be archives on this stuff here. The posts on the other boards get poofed to quickly to find out what the truth is. They are gone before much conspiring can go on. Their archives are conspiracy free zones! I am still not used to the open discussion allowed here. I'm getting it! Thanks!
Old 01-15-2013, 10:01 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG1966 View Post
Someone mentioned the Wagner Card. Did PSA know it was trimmed? What was the deal behind that?
And down the rabbit hole we go........

Last edited by conor912; 01-15-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:27 PM
David G0ld

A more detailed update on my attempt to get my questions answered:

Mr. Orlando wrote this to me and my fellow rabble-rousers on his forums yesterday. "If something comes up in the future and a person has a question about anything at PSA, I don’t think it is unreasonable to ask that you contact us so we can simply answer the question."

I decided to take Mr. Orlando's suggestions. I called his office several times leaving unanswered voice mails. I kept trying and finally got through. Once I identified myself to the person who answers his calls she knew who I was. She then proceeded to ask me if I was calling to be reinstated. Before I could answer her she told me that was not going to happen. I do not know if she was directed to speak to me that way or that is just the way she speaks with customers at time. After being treated that way by the person answering his phone I realized it would be a waste of time to ask Mr. Orlando anything.

I eventually decided that I needed to bring my questions to the top of the company. I then called Mr. Halls's office. Mr. Hall is listed as the Co-Founder, Pres, Chief Operating Officer and Director on the company profile on Yahoo. After identifying myself I was told Mr. Hall was in a meeting. She told me that Mr. Hall would return my call. My call was not returned.

This morning I called Mr. Hall's office again. After I identified myself she remembered me. I must be known in Mr. Halls office now too or they must by psychic mind readers and have some type of crazy Jedi powers over there. She proceeded to tell me she knew what I wanted to discuss with Mr Hall. I hadn't told her the reason for my call at that point. Anyway, I was told Mr. Hall was not in the office but he would be returning my call.

I am sure Mr. Hall is VERY busy. That is VERY understandable. I hope to be able to speak with him soon. I am trying my best to do what Mr. Orlando suggested. "If something comes up in the future and a person has a question about anything at PSA, I don’t think it is unreasonable to ask that you contact us so we can simply answer the question."

Last edited by DavidG1966; 01-15-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:36 AM
$cotty @.utin

David,
What is your goal with these phone conversations? Im not discouraging you from calling, I am just trying to understand what you trying to accomplish?

I just don't want you to end up like my dog that chases squirrels around the yard and every now and then catches one. Clueless what to do at that point.

Also, I wouldn't want you to be disappointed if they tell you everything you want to hear and then nothing changes because this issue is really not affecting their bottom line.

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 01-29-2013, 12:24 PM
bubblebathgirl

A lot of interesting things going on in this thread. Here are my thoughts:

1. The CU forums, people getting reprimanded & banned

For some I think this happened because you simply need to learn how to behave like an adult, and ideally, like a professional. For others you simply stepped over a line that CU clearly drew in the sand.

2. Grading & many 10s in a row

Joe Orlando made it very clear how this happens and the service offered that allows for it. I agree poofing the thread that asked how this happens was kind of extreme, he should have just replied to it or pinned a thread explaining this circumstance.

3. Pristine Paper & Peter Iskowitz

I started another thread in the Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) about this specific topic. I've purchased a good deal of cards from Peter to augment my sets and as such it is strongly in my interest that these cards be legit. My concern is not how PSA grades them, as the service indicated above seems reasonable, and more how Peter obtains these pristine cards, specifically, whether they are sheet-cut.

Some would argue that whether they are sheet-cut or not, if they pass PSA inspection then it's fine. Since the sheets were produced when the original cards were and all ... that said, cutting now has potential to be a lot more accurate then it was back in the 70's and earlier, and part of the (or the whole) point is getting cards that were cut and sealed back then and have survived the travel of time.

At any rate, I've communicated a decent amount with Peter and he seems like a nice guy. That said, has anyone here ever met him, ever seen how he gets his cards raw or unopened ... or perhaps has any proof that he is indeed cutting sheets.

Like I said I don't assume to know either way what's really going on here, but with such impressive results in the nature of PSA 10s, I think it's fair to question the authenticity of the cards, and the method in which they were procured. I'm all for transparency, as it builds confidence and allows for freedom to grow.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:55 PM
Matt Hall

I miss the days when all we had to complain about was too many T206 threads.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:11 PM
Belltown Vintage

edited ......

I shouldn't make negative comments about these guys - my apologies.

Last edited by Runscott; 01-29-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:35 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblebathgirl View Post
A lot of interesting things going on in this thread. Here are my thoughts:

1. The CU forums, people getting reprimanded & banned

For some I think this happened because you simply need to learn how to behave like an adult, and ideally, like a professional. For others you simply stepped over a line that CU clearly drew in the sand.

2. Grading & many 10s in a row

Joe Orlando made it very clear how this happens and the service offered that allows for it. I agree poofing the thread that asked how this happens was kind of extreme, he should have just replied to it or pinned a thread explaining this circumstance.

3. Pristine Paper & Peter Iskowitz

I started another thread in the Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) about this specific topic. I've purchased a good deal of cards from Peter to augment my sets and as such it is strongly in my interest that these cards be legit. My concern is not how PSA grades them, as the service indicated above seems reasonable, and more how Peter obtains these pristine cards, specifically, whether they are sheet-cut.

Some would argue that whether they are sheet-cut or not, if they pass PSA inspection then it's fine. Since the sheets were produced when the original cards were and all ... that said, cutting now has potential to be a lot more accurate then it was back in the 70's and earlier, and part of the (or the whole) point is getting cards that were cut and sealed back then and have survived the travel of time.

At any rate, I've communicated a decent amount with Peter and he seems like a nice guy. That said, has anyone here ever met him, ever seen how he gets his cards raw or unopened ... or perhaps has any proof that he is indeed cutting sheets.

Like I said I don't assume to know either way what's really going on here, but with such impressive results in the nature of PSA 10s, I think it's fair to question the authenticity of the cards, and the method in which they were procured. I'm all for transparency, as it builds confidence and allows for freedom to grow.
Where is the "smacking one's own head" emoticon when we need it?

I guess this one will have to do!
Old 01-29-2013, 03:00 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehse View Post
Where is the "smacking one's own head" emoticon when we need it?
You can borrow mine

Old 01-29-2013, 03:13 PM
George Gogol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
I miss the days when all we had to complain about was too many T206 threads.
I couldn't agree more! Abundance of t206 and that Peter fella wasn't too bad in hindsight
Old 01-29-2013, 03:31 PM
Jeff

This too shall pass.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 01-29-2013, 03:47 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
This too shall pass.
...like a rock.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:06 PM
Bobby Porter

Why doesn't anyone ask Joe Orlando about this issue at this years National PSA luncheon? I really would love to hear his answer.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:13 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
...like a rock.
Was thinking more like a kidney stone.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."