NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-27-2013, 06:02 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Default OT: eBay no longer offers International Parcel Post

While printing a shipping label, I just discovered that eBay will no longer offer International Parcel Postage rates. Instead, you will need to use 1st Class International.

What does this mean to the seller?

Before tomorrow, if you were to ship a 1 ounce card to Canada using Parcel Post rates, it would cost you $3.30. Starting tomorrow, you will need to use the 1st Class International rates which will now cost you a whopping $6.16.

eBay says that if you want to use the Parcel Post rates, you will need to go to your local Post Office.

Unfortunately the time has come for me in which I can no longer ship outside of the U.S.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 01-27-2013, 06:23 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default +1

+ 1
Old 01-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Joe M.

Why not just go to the Post Office? Just wondering?

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 01-27-2013, 06:26 PM
Jeff

Don't be lazy, go to the post office. The business you keep will be worth more than the time you have to wait in line at the post office.

Jeff from Canada

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 01-27-2013, 06:32 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Obviously, you haven't been to my Post Office. Always atleast 1/2 hour wait.

I have a full time job in the afternoon and spend my evenings working on my eBay business. Don't have time to stand on a PO line several times a week.

Buythatcard

Old 01-27-2013, 06:37 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
Obviously, you haven't been to my Post Office. Always atleast 1/2 hour wait.

I have a full time job in the afternoon and spend my evenings working on my eBay business. Don't have time to stand on a PO line several times a week.
+1
Old 01-27-2013, 06:40 PM
Jeff

No problem, but if you went to the post office you could continue to have Canadian customers. Always bad business to cut out customers. Sorry, I get my back up when sellers discriminate against me for living in the great white north.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:43 PM
Ken McMillan

Mailing to foreign countries is overrated for sales. There often is a communication issues if you sell outside to non English speaking buyers and foreign buyers tend to be pushy. No a loss in my opinion.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:56 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

My beef is not with customers outside of the US. It's with eBay for making it so difficult to do business.

Every customer counts no matter where they are located.

Buythatcard

Old 01-27-2013, 07:03 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
Mailing to foreign countries is overrated for sales. There often is a communication issues if you sell outside to non English speaking buyers and foreign buyers tend to be pushy. No a loss in my opinion.
I apologize for being "foreign" and "overrated". I can't help it, I was just born that way.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:10 PM
Dave

The costs have nothing to do with Ebay. Post Office just upped their rates and changed around a bunch of services and just about doubled shipping costs on lower weight International shipments.

Ebay is behind the ball on providing shipping labels for Domestic Pacel Post Shipping Labels due to a change in the name for the service.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:14 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
Depends on what you sell I guess. I usually ship 3-4 packages outside the U.S. every week and it would be a huge loss to cut off International bidders.

Unfortunately the cost to send a simple photo in a rigid envelope to Europe, has just about tripled in the last couple years, between the last few price bumps.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:55 PM
Dan Brown

Don't the buyers pay for the shipping anyways?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebro041 View Post
Don't the buyers pay for the shipping anyways?

Buyers are much less likely to buy something once the Shipping cost becomes more then the actual item.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:18 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Howard

Howard, there is a simple way to send a single card overseas. I always use a rigid photo mailer. I buy a size that is 6" high and 8" long. This qualifies as a non-machinable letter. Even after the price increase I can send 1 card in this photo mailer in the US for 86 cents (66 for a 2 ounce letter plus a 20 cent non machinable surcharge). Don't go over 6 1/8" inches high or the mailer will not qualify for the letter rate.

A single card to Canada is $1.30. Other countries are either $2.25 or $2.10 depending on the country. At this point you don't need a customs form but that may change in the future. I just buy stamps and put them on the photo mailer. You still need to take them to the Post Office because you can't put international mail in the blue collection boxes.

If your PO gives you any crap tell them to look in the Domestic Mail Manual under 101.1.1. You can buy cheap photo mailers by the case from ULine.com.

Good luck! Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:27 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Also

Also, the reason behind these higher rates is because the cost of transporting these items is escalating. The airlines charge the Postal Service by weight and size according to the number of cubic inches of the parcel.

The reason that you have to take international items to the Post Office is because the Border Protection Service has instituted new regulations that really tighten up the security of overseas mail. There are new regulations for the customs forms that ended up costing the Postal Service a lot of time and money. There are also tighter restrictions for items that are being sent overseas, such as a prohibition on lithium batteries, and a prohibition on perfume or any other items that could possibly be flammable. In addition, the Postal Service is phasing in a tracking service for international parcels that will be included in the base price. Canada will be the first country phased in, the other countries will follow.

There - that is probably more than anyone really wanted to know about international parcel delivery.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Rick,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Buythatcard

Old 01-27-2013, 09:23 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Depends on what you sell I guess. I usually ship 3-4 packages outside the U.S. every week and it would be a huge loss to cut off International bidders.

Unfortunately the cost to send a simple photo in a rigid envelope to Europe, has just about tripled in the last couple years, between the last few price bumps.
This is true. My wife was selling some jewelry that specifically said in the listing ship to USA only and had a person from Austria ask how much to ship to them. They were told that we ship only to USA and they bid anyhow. Then they got upset when we would not ship to them and left negative feedback which was full of lies. Even after reading the emails and having situation explained to eBay, eBay let the feedback stand. They of course are banned from our auctions. We also had a person from Thailand that tried to do the same thing. Checked her feedback and they have a history of leaving negative feedback and being pushy. Banned also but before they could buy this time.

Last edited by kmac32; 01-27-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:29 PM
Alan U

I may be missing something here, but can't you just go to the USPS website to print postage for any parcel.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:30 PM
John Smithwick

Ken - You can block non USA buyers through your Site Preferences.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2678 View Post
Ken - You can block non USA buyers through your Site Preferences.
John

We found that out after the fact. They are blocked now.

Last edited by kmac32; 01-27-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:25 PM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

i could be wrong here but i believe this is a short term thing that will be fixed in early march.

the USPS is TOTALLY doing away with "parcel post" as of yesterday. it is now called something like "post select" and the change happened too fast for ebay to do anything about. i received an email about this last week, quickly scanned it, and then deleted it.

as far as i know, ebay will have their software updated and back on track in the first week of march.

again, i could be wrong and unfortunately i do not have that email anymore.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:38 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkammeyer View Post
i could be wrong here but i believe this is a short term thing that will be fixed in early march.

the USPS is TOTALLY doing away with "parcel post" as of yesterday. it is now called something like "post select" and the change happened too fast for ebay to do anything about. i received an email about this last week, quickly scanned it, and then deleted it.

as far as i know, ebay will have their software updated and back on track in the first week of march.

I think you might be right, parcel post did disappear. I did not receive an email though.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 01-27-2013, 10:48 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkammeyer View Post

That's about right. It's more of a domestic issue. It usually only comes into play for larger sized and heavier boxes.

Unfortunately I've got a couple of those going out this week and Ebay wants the tracking info uploaded next day, so I'm going to have to take to the P.O. and manually upload the tracking number, instead of just printing the label online and leaving out for the Postal Carrier.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:48 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanu View Post
I may be missing something here, but can't you just go to the USPS website to print postage for any parcel.
Only for Priority and Express packages.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:32 AM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

Yes, it is a b*tch uploading tracking numbers by hand but i think it's only a temporary thing. I personally busted my ass to get that "top rated seller" thingy by my name and now i am in jeopardy of losing it if i don't manually enter tracking number within 24 hours of auctions end ...... bullcrap.

Just another negative mark for eBay.