NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-03-2023, 05:05 AM

Default Doctored Nodgrass T206 Error

Careful friends.... All legit Nodgrass error cards have a partial part of the right side of the "S" still visable from the broken die. This one may be a George Hober laser job from years ago. Sadly George didn't do his homework and rubbed off "S" from the catching poses as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25632807629...&segname=11021

Bump due to relist:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25633674278...&segname=11021

Bump due to relist:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25635279932...Bk9SR47LqsWTYw

Bump due to relist:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25638405061...Bk9SR8i0q8mlYw

Last edited by danmckee; 01-21-2024 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-03-2023, 07:04 AM

Dan is right, the real examples have a partial S showing...I own this legit example (in fact, I've owned this card 3 different times since 1991). I was the one who sent it in to PSA with a letter explaining the variation (mine was the first graded). During the time it was not in my collection, someone had it re-slabbed and PSA wouldn't label it again Nodgrass (frustrating). Here's mine pictured in the old holder, and now re-slabbed (not by me).

*The scuffs/marks on the old scan are on the slab and/or scanner, not the card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nodgrass.jpg (172.3 KB, 1016 views)
File Type: jpg Nodgrass Old Holder.JPG (138.9 KB, 1012 views)
File Type: jpg Nodgrass Close Up.jpg (132.3 KB, 1005 views)

Last edited by MVSNYC; 12-03-2023 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-03-2023, 03:59 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Nice catch, Dan. They should hire you!
Old 12-03-2023, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Dan is right, the real examples have a partial S showing...I own this legit example (in fact, I've owned this card 3 different times since 1991). I was the one who sent it in to PSA with a letter explaining the variation (mine was the first graded). During the time it was not in my collection, someone had it re-slabbed and PSA wouldn't label it again Nodgrass (frustrating). Here's mine pictured in the old holder, and now re-slabbed (not by me).

*The scuffs/marks on the old scan are on the slab and/or scanner, not the card.
That 3 is the real McCoy! Nice card!
Old 12-03-2023, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

Oh I bit my tongue cause I love Grading so much but TY my dear friend for the nice compliment...

I wish PSA would buy it back and destroy it but that won't happen

Dan Mckee

Last edited by danmckee; 12-03-2023 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2023, 05:40 PM

Thanks Dan! I wish the old owner just kept it in the original slab...or...that PSA carried over the "Nodgrass" labeling.
Old 12-10-2023, 08:10 AM

Default Bump due to relist

Bump due to relist:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25633674278...&segname=11021
Old 12-10-2023, 09:18 AM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Thanks Dan! I wish the old owner just kept it in the original slab...or...that PSA carried over the "Nodgrass" labeling.
Seems PSA would be obligated to recognize that error
Old 12-10-2023, 05:19 PM

Eric, I called and asked them, they wouldn't do it. I wasn't about to get into an argument over the phone with them...next Nat'l I goto (whenever that may be), I'll bring it and show them clear images of the before flip...I agree with you, they should do it over the same.
Old 12-17-2023, 11:42 AM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Sorry to piggyback but I didn’t think this was worth a whole new thread , but I wanted to post this ridiculous listing -
Even if this dizzy Dean was real it wouldn’t be worth 120 bucks . ($2000?)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/38644449057...Bk9SR9zwqJCPYw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0FD06063-CFE4-43D9-8B2F-5453C9A53986.jpg (186.4 KB, 671 views)
Old 12-18-2023, 08:22 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That is a popular card and would be worth 200+ if real. For some reason that is just about the only card (of several pages I looked at) of his that isn't graded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beercan collector View Post
Sorry to piggyback but I didn’t think this was worth a whole new thread , but I wanted to post this ridiculous listing -
Even if this dizzy Dean was real it wouldn’t be worth 120 bucks . ($2000?)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/38644449057...Bk9SR9zwqJCPYw

Last edited by Leon; 12-18-2023 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-20-2023, 09:19 AM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Quote:
That is a popular card and would be worth 200+ if real. For some reason that is just about the only card (of several pages I looked at) of his that isn't graded
My bad - I guess I assume a card dealer would know better .
But for cripes sake don’t anyone offer him $200 .
(Unless you think I’m mutilated Dover reprint is worth $200)
Old 12-24-2023, 08:01 AM

Bump due to relist:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25635279932...Bk9SR47LqsWTYw
Old 01-21-2024, 08:11 AM

Bump as he just keeps relisting this doctored junk........

Last edited by danmckee; 01-21-2024 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-21-2024, 11:14 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
+1 on what our boss said. They should!

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 01-21-2024, 12:09 PM
Fred

Great info! Only problem is those buttheads that are removing the S will now leave the part of the "S" that is necessary if they read this board. Also, let's hope after the TPGs learn something from Dan that they reject the "nodgrass" cards (no partial S) and only tell the submitter that's it not altered and do not provide the submitter with the partial S reason.

Edited to add: What's your thoughts? If a TPG rejects that nodgrass (no partial S), should they not encapsulate the card? Not even with an AUTH - ALTERED? Unless the TPGs actually indicate the alteration of the removed S.

Last edited by Fred; 01-21-2024 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-26-2024, 11:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Something tells me your relisting bumps could go on indefinitely! Can't stand scammers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
Bump as he just keeps relisting this doctored junk........

Old 01-26-2024, 02:42 PM
Anthony

I sent in a legit Snodgrass error from an old, untouched collection, and both SGC and PSA both stated they will not grade them anymore. In fact, they wouldn't even encapsulate the card as a regular Snodgrass, let alone acknowledge the error on the label.

Last edited by Natedog; 01-26-2024 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-28-2024, 06:32 AM
Anthony

This example from Dean's is even worse. It looks like someone took an eraser to the "S", and got part of the "N" as well. At least PSA didn't label it as an error.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29619157077...Bk9SR4SX_4OqYw

Last edited by Natedog; 01-31-2024 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-31-2024, 03:15 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That's just sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
This example from Dean's is even worse. It looks like someone took an eraser to the "S", and got part of the "n" as well. At least PSA didn't label it as an error.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29619157077...Bk9SR4SX_4OqYw
Old 01-31-2024, 03:30 PM
Fred

Sad? I'm going to call it PATHETIC.

Those guys are trying to get "nodgrass" money for an obviously doctored card.

I've never bought from Deans because of their slightly higher than going rate prices. I thought they were supposed to be reputable. Slowly moving to the other side, I guess.

Or is it my bad and the $3460 asking price is just another Deans price that is above the normal range for a standard T206.

How the heck did PSA not decline to slab it or encapsulate it in an AUTH/ALT holder?

EDITED TO AD - This is one of those cards that would go through that ebay authentication process right? If so, I wonder if that authentication process would slam it and say HELL NO.

Last edited by Fred; 01-31-2024 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-31-2024, 03:50 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Sad? I'm going to call it PATHETIC.

Those guys are trying to get "nodgrass" money for an obviously doctored card.

I've never bought from Deans because of their slightly higher than going rate prices. I thought they were supposed to be reputable. Slowly moving to the other side, I guess.

Or is it my bad and the $3460 asking price is just another Deans price that is above the normal range for a standard T206.

How the heck did PSA not decline to slab it or encapsulate it in an AUTH/ALT holder?

EDITED TO AD - This is one of those cards that would go through that ebay authentication process right? If so, I wonder if that authentication process would slam it and say HELL NO.
It would easily pass the eBay authenticity program. They are looking for slabs that have been tampered with. They are not regrading anything.
Old 02-03-2024, 12:55 PM
Fred

What I don't understand is why PSA would slab it without labeling it ALTERED because the "S" was obviously erased. Or perhaps the TPG grader had no clue what they did when grading it. Perhaps that makes more sense.

This whole ebay authentication thing is confusing. For non-graded cards, would the ebay authentication (or whatever it is) reject it if the card was obviously altered? For example, if the Snodgrass T206 had the "S" erased, would they allow it to be sold? For this reason, it would be nice if the TPGs had graders that knew the series. Ok, next thing to be heard is "well, there's so many different sets that no one can be an expert on everything". Well, T206 is probably one of those premier sets that the TPGs should take note of. All the different errors, the different backs and factories associated with backs, etc.
Old 02-05-2024, 08:29 AM
Fred

Sometimes I'm like a dog with a bone...

I sent a message to Deans cards via ebay, here's the message:

I don't see the "S" in the last name. Can an assumption be made that this is the "nodgrass" error card and that's the reason for the $3460 price tag?

I didn't think there'd be a response. But here it is:

Thank you for your inquiry. That is correct, this is the rare variation without the 'S' in 'Snodgrass'. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns and I would be happy to help. Have a great day.

Well, that's why the card has that price tag, they believe it's an error card. I'd rather see that response than something that alludes to it possibly being an error card. I send a reply letting them know it's not an error card. I'll be diplomatic about it and hope they do a little research on the topic and make their own determination about it.
Old 02-08-2024, 04:17 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That's unfortunate.

Quote:
Sometimes I'm like a dog with a bone...

I sent a message to Deans cards via ebay, here's the message:

I don't see the "S" in the last name. Can an assumption be made that this is the "nodgrass" error card and that's the reason for the $3460 price tag?

I didn't think there'd be a response. But here it is:

Thank you for your inquiry. That is correct, this is the rare variation without the 'S' in 'Snodgrass'. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns and I would be happy to help. Have a great day.

Well, that's why the card has that price tag, they believe it's an error card. I'd rather see that response than something that alludes to it possibly being an error card. I send a reply letting them know it's not an error card. I'll be diplomatic about it and hope they do a little research on the topic and make their own determination about it.
Old 02-08-2024, 04:46 PM
Fred

Update - I sent the follow up message:

Would it be possible for the team at Deans to do a little research on the topic of the "nodgrass" error card.

"nodgrass" error cards will have a partial piece of the right side of the "S" still visible from the broken die. The card in question is not an error card. Look closely at the location where the "S" would be. There is evidence of erasure of the "S". When compared to a "nodgrass" card caused by a broken die, the difference will be noticeable.

This is being brought to the attention of Dean's Sports Cards in the spirit of trying to keep Dean's informed.

Received the following response 0n 06FEB24:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention - we will have someone look into this now.

Here's the follow up by Deans later that day:

Hello,

Thanks for your note and for bringing this to our attention. After further review of the card, it appears that the correct variation of the card is "batting" and not the spelling variation of "Nodgrass". We have updated this in our database, and it should update on ebay shortly.

Thanks again,

Michelle Wall - Dean's Cards

The item description indicates Nodgrass error, but with a reduced price from $3460 to $1499. I'll send another message to see if they clean it up. It's been 2 days since that last message was received from Deans.
Old 02-09-2024, 03:15 PM
Fred

09FEB24 -

Kudos to Dean's Cards - The item description was updated to remove the reference to the "error" card (nodgrass).

The card was originally $3460, then $1499 and now $350 (after this latest revision).

PSA still missed the erasure of the "S" which, in my book, makes this an AUTH/ALT card.

What's sad is someone may purchase it and then try to pass it off as the error card to someone that doesn't know any better.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/296214811915 (not sure how long the link will be active).
Old 02-09-2024, 03:43 PM
Al Stein

Down to $350 now.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

+1 ...Kudo's for them changing it.
Many ebayers, like that jollyrogers guy, don't give a damn!

Quote:
09FEB24 -

Kudos to Dean's Cards - The item description was updated to remove the reference to the "error" card (nodgrass).

The card was originally $3460, then $1499 and now $350 (after this latest revision).

PSA still missed the erasure of the "S" which, in my book, makes this an AUTH/ALT card.

What's sad is someone may purchase it and then try to pass it off as the error card to someone that doesn't know any better.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/296214811915 (not sure how long the link will be active).