NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Default Beware of FAKE Old Judge-

Posted By: deadballera 

Ohiotarheel never ceases to amaze......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31719&item=2740051674

I know this seller is constantly mentioned in this thread. I didn't want anyone getting caught up in the excitement with the Old Judge cards going yesterday.

As usual, none of his/her cards have no mention of reprints. All sales are final.

Old 07-04-2003, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

For any beginner reading this post:

Rule #1: Don't bid in private eBay auctions
Rule #2: Don't bid in private eBay auctions
Rule #3: Don't bid in private eBay auctions

There was was fourth rule, but I forgot what it was. I think it was something like the first three.

Old 07-04-2003, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

Most of the reprints this fraud is selling are pretty pathetic...but did everyone see the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=642&item=2740047240

Here's what is written: "This card was just recently acquired and little is known about it other than what you can see in the scans."

Not true. Just from looking at it, one can easily come to the following two conclusions:

1. The bright white on the nameplate on the front seems a bit out of place given the "toning" of the borders.

2. This is the only white back 1952 Mantle in existence. All others have dark backs. Curious. I would think the price/bid would be significantly higher given this rare, one-of-a-kind variety.

Old 07-04-2003, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: deadballera

also has some listed on Yahoo under

thunderingherdkid

BEWARE !!!!!

Old 07-04-2003, 11:02 PM
Administrator

I emailed the underbidder on the 1952 Mickey Mantle auction (eBay user "32490") and indicated that I had SEVERE reservations about REPRINTED cards. Here is his response:

"Are you telling me something about the 1952 Mantle offered by "ohiotarheelfan" ? I've questioned this sellers cards in the past, yet she continues to get positive feedback? Any help would be appreciated.

Pete Murray"

I emailed him some additional information but I can definitely understand where he is coming from. How on earth can all these buyers be giving positive feedback to "ohiotarheelfan" for REPRINTS? It's simply mind-boggling.

Old 07-04-2003, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JC

They are all nicely aged re-prints. If people recieve them and they don't know the difference, they think they hit the jack pot! It's probally better (for mental reasons) that they never find out. She is targeting the raw market. The same kind of people that push you to the side, to buy the 2.00 pair of tubed white sox at the local flee market.

Old 07-05-2003, 02:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

The reason is that the feedback system is broken. Almost everyone is scared to death to leave negative or even neutral feedback becuase they don't want to get it themselves in retaliation.

The thing taht really scares me is that I saw a seller with only a 95% feedback rating, yet had not had is account suspeneded. If you look at ohiotarheel and then this, it makes you wonder just how many people that person with a 95% screwed.

I've left over a dozen negs and neutrals, and have gotten only 3 in return (one was from the days when if someone was no longered registered, all the feedback they left went neutral, whether it was positive or negative).

Until everyone starts making proper use of the feedback system, it will be almost totally useless.

Jay

Old 07-05-2003, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

But that '52 Mantle looks to be trimmed along the top border as well...

Old 07-05-2003, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Jay, I understand and appreceate what you are saying, but I think you forgot about rule #5: Don't Bid in Private eBay Auctions.

While many may feel that I'm acting like a broken record, it should be noted that rule #8 is 'Don't stick your tongue in your disc drive', #15 is 'Don't try and kiss a moving porcupine' and #17 is 'Put down your pizza and hot chocolate before you cartwheel on your wife's new rug.' (Trust me on those, particularly #15). Admitedly, the rest of the rules are "Don't bid in Private eBay auctions."

Old 07-05-2003, 12:57 PM
Administrator

I assume it's a marketing ploy (and a good one), but I thought it was humerous that the seller requires shipping insurance on the Mantle.

Old 07-06-2003, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

I wasn't sure if it were possible to do this with private auctions, but in regular auctions you can bid, renig, and for comment put "ooops, sorry, didn't know the card was a fake" or some other similar message. Other prospective and current bidders could get the message. Don't know if it works for private auctions, I'll have to try it in one of ohiotarheel's auctions.

Old 07-06-2003, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: david

i think ebay changed this feature so that you can only input standard responses like put in wrong amount. apparently all the people selling fakes complained that people were telling unsuspecting bidders they were selling garbage

Old 07-06-2003, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Yes ebay did change this feature, and before they did, you could get suspended for writing something like that for tampering with an auction. It is amazing the fraud they allow and then bump a probably legit autograph off due to a scan, AMAZING!

Old 07-06-2003, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: julie

I can't reallty tell it's fake. Kind of blurry--is the configuration of information under the photo completely unknown (it does look funny to me). Or is that player not known to have that configuration?

If I looked at all 18 of my Old Judges, and none of them had that configuratuion, it would just mean that my 18 didn't have it.

Old 07-06-2003, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

Can someone explain why the Old Judge appears fake? I am not an Old Judge afficiando so I don't know.

I tried to squeeze in a line on ohiotarhellfan when I bid and then cancelled but, you are right, you can't do it anymore. I had to use the old "entered wrong amount" to get out of it. The Ohara and Demmitt cards are fake as a 3 dollar bill. Ever wonder why the only cards this guy sells are the most valuable in the set? Guess it isn't cost effective to reprint T205 Grooms with edge wear...

Old 07-06-2003, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

never mind--i'm really bored at work today.

Old 07-06-2003, 12:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I'm with the others--what about this card is hinky?

Old 07-06-2003, 03:35 PM
Administrator

The Old Judge offered is 100% fake. Take a look at the white areas on the bottom edge and near the lower left corner on the left side of the card. REAL Old Judges do not suddenly appear "white" in areas where the card has wear. In other areas along the edges where wear was added, someone (the seller?) tried to cover it up with a burnt umber crayon. Also, take a look at the lettering...looks to be rescreened or lasercopied to me.

Trust me. If you expertly lasercopy the front and back of an N172, glue them together and then view them at 72 dpi (typical screen resolution), for the most part, you're not going to be able to distinguish between a fake (reprint) and the real thing.

Old 07-06-2003, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

You guys are better than me. I'm wasn't going to bid anyway so it's a moot point but I can't see a problem with the card. That said, unless it is a really bad reproduction, making a determination from a scan is next to impossible for me.

Old 07-06-2003, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: julie

..at least as far as Old Judges go!

Old 07-06-2003, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Go ahead and bid on it then. It's only at $82. Great price for the real thing. Poor price for a reprint.

Old 07-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

While I respect Jay M.'s opinion, especially on OJ's, I am going with MW on this one. Since 100% of the other vintage cards this MOron (and I meant it that way)is selling are fake, I would tend to believe this is too....hard for me to tell from the scan though. I already have a $40 fake D304 Lajoie....don't need an $82 fake OJ to go with it.....regards all