NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-31-2008, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Default Question about original illustration art...

Posted By: Rob Steinmetz

As a big Cubs fan, I got pretty excited when a guy recently approached me with original artwork depicting Ernie Banks. The artwork was created in the 1950's by Amadee Wohlschlaeger, a well known illustrator for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch from 1932-1981 who also did work for The Sporting News. It is not known whether or not this Banks piece was ever published. This artwork is approximately 20x22, and the current owner purchased the piece directly from Amadee. Does anyone have a feel for what something like this might bring in today's market? I'm not looking to sell, just wondering what it should be insured for.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rob

Old 01-31-2008, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mike rothstein

Hi Rob

I have no idea, just wanted to say it's a super piece and nicely framed!

I collect original Topps baseball card comic art and some nonsport - it's a fun area.

I do remember years ago seeing an add in SCD for Bill Gallo art that went in the few hundred range.

Here's a past sale by the artist from Mastro that closed in the 400 buck range. It's also signed.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Rob

I have been buying Sporting News and other newspapers original illustration art routinely in the area of $150 to $400. Some have been cheaper. Willard Mullin illustrations with Dodgers or Yankees go for more.

The whole market in this area is woefully undervalued and unappreciated by the sports collectors.

I've taken photos of some of the pieces I've purchased and they can be seen on my flickr site at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/baseballart/sets/72157601011091910/

Max

(now, baseball art by spouse of baseballart is truly priceless, in a shameless plug for http://www.ettinger.ca )

Old 01-31-2008, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Steinmetz

I really appreciate the input. Amadee's artwork probably has more value in the St. Louis area, given the fact that he was pretty famous for drawing the St. Louis Weatherbird for years. I just love the look of this particular piece. Max, I think you are wise in picking up this artwork now...as it seems undervalued at the prices mentioned above.

Thanks again!

Rob

Old 01-31-2008, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mike rothstein

There's some really nice illustrations in there Max.

I particularly like this one:

Are all those pieces framed? I've got limited wall space unfortunately.

Thanx for sharing.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

Here is Ty Cobb, bought the original art for the Newspaper from the artist. I like it, especially because it is in color.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 01-31-2008, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Mike

I've had a number of them framed. It is a challenge to find wall space--my office is pretty well done, but there are a few more walls in the basement

I've posted this office shot before--I'll have to take some up to date photos.

Max

Old 01-31-2008, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

Max,
Just curious do you have any pieces from John Cullen Murphy? He was famous for Prince Valliant but did alot of art work for Sport Magazine,Colliers,sports Ill. in the 40s-50s I have a few nice pieces if I can I will try and post them.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Al

I don't think so. There are a few packed away where I don't recall the artist, but it doesn't ring a bell with the ones I have.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Phil P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive View Post

Mike

I've had a number of them framed. It is a challenge to find wall space--my office is pretty well done, but there are a few more walls in the basement

I've posted this office shot before--I'll have to take some up to date photos.

Max

Hello Max:
Anything on Sandy Koufax for sale? Thanks, Phil