NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-19-2019, 06:10 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Default How frequent is too frequent?

Suppose you have a rare card that another board member wants in their collection, at what frequency of receiving messages from them asking if you were interested in selling would you start to get annoyed? Once every 3 months? Once a year? Anything more than once is too much? Likewise, how frequently would you message another board member to see if they were interested in selling you a card you wanted?
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 06-19-2019, 06:12 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Are you responding you arent Interested? I'd say once every 3 months is fine.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-19-2019, 06:26 PM
Ben North

3 or 4 times right away then once every 3 months would be OK. More than that would annoy me.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:27 PM

Doesn't bother me.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:30 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

We only rent these cards. At some point you will sell, and hopefully you will remember he wants it

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-19-2019, 06:42 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Yeah, not seeing a problem with any of the given options as long as the inquiries are respectful. Weekly is a different story. You can always reply saying you're going to ignore their emails and will respond if/when you're ready to sell. You control what emails you open.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:51 PM
John Wondowski

Respectful communication is your guide. Read the recipient or plain out ask him if you can tickle in a week / month / quarter.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:04 PM
“the bambino”

Just once period. According to my wife, “NO means NO!”
Old 06-19-2019, 07:29 PM
Banned

some of it would depend on who’s asking. if it’s the guy on the BST who prices PSA 6 OC cards as if they are PSA 8s but then wants to buy your cards at 60 percent of retail, once is enough for me. if it’s someone who’s a collector and wants it for his collection, then for me every 3 months is fine.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:41 PM

DJ- I haven’t PMed you in months about a Red Croft’s or any of your other rare and awesome cads?!?!?

If I want something, I usually offer very strong and then circle back once per quarter- I think the “bother” is less so if the offer is real and very substantial.

If I had something someone wants and I am not looking to sell, I say so very unequivocally hoping to end the inquiry (but I am almost always up for a trade)
Old 06-19-2019, 07:52 PM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
Suppose you have a rare card that another board member wants in their collection, at what frequency of receiving messages from them asking if you were interested in selling would you start to get annoyed? Once every 3 months? Once a year? Anything more than once is too much? Likewise, how frequently would you message another board member to see if they were interested in selling you a card you wanted?
Maybe you could just ask the board member who wants your card to move in with you??? That way he could look at the card all he wants in person and he wouldn't be bothering you anymore. WIN WIN for everybody!
Old 06-19-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
DJ- I haven’t PMed you in months about a Red Croft’s or any of your other rare and awesome cads?!?!?

If I want something, I usually offer very strong and then circle back once per quarter- I think the “bother” is less so if the offer is real and very substantial.

If I had something someone wants and I am not looking to sell, I say so very unequivocally hoping to end the inquiry (but I am almost always up for a trade)
Not to get off topic but Ryan your collection is.......breathtaking is a good word. I appreciate you sharing it. I wish more people did the same.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:10 PM

Thanks Scott!
Old 06-19-2019, 08:32 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Similar to what has been shared

The only thing not yet stated that I am aware of is the other persons response to the initial inquiry - If they sound or communicate there is some interest in exploring, but no interest in selling "right now" or something of a similar nature - that would indicate the possibility of sooner than later - I would be asking pretty quickly what it would take and how soon I could follow up. If it was a flat out NO - the card is slated to be buried with me, then I agree any of the options you suggested in a respectful way would be okay.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:39 PM
Howard Chasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott L. View Post
Not to get off topic but Ryan your collection is.......breathtaking is a good word. I appreciate you sharing it. I wish more people did the same.
Ditto - WOW! What a collection - That W600 Wagner is AWESOME!!!
Old 06-19-2019, 09:04 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
3 or 4 times right away then once every 3 months would be OK. More than that would annoy me.
That sounds excessive to me. Assuming this is an unsolicited request once is fine, followed by a keep me in mind when you sell. Then I'd say maybe once a year or so afterwards.

I definitely agree about Ryan's collection. Very impressive.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 06-19-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:01 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
Doesn't bother me.
Brian, I'm glad you feel this way. BTW, are you ready yet to part with your W504 card of Sam Rice?
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:37 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I vote for once every three months.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:09 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Brian, I'm glad you feel this way. BTW, are you ready yet to part with your W504 card of Sam Rice?
lol

Val has the tenacity of a very likable and polite terrier!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 06-20-2019 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:31 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I'd say once a year tops. The top item on my want list is something a fellow board member won when it first went up for auction ("new to the hobby") at Heritage in 2013. I missed the auction and didn't find out about it until the winner posted a picture in a monthly pick-up thread here. I messaged him with an offer when I had enough money. He declined. I messaged him 2 years later with a larger sum of money, and he replied:

"I'm not holding out for more money - your offers have been generous and I don't play that game anyway. I get that you really would like to have it. Maybe someday you will, but just not now."

So maybe I have to wait another 10 or 20 years. That's fine. I can just check Facebook and play Sudoku in the meantime. But if it comes up again I'll mortgage my house if I need to. Not sure if I'm kidding.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
'...the guy on the BST who prices PSA 6 OC cards as if they are PSA 8s but then wants to buy your cards at 60 percent of retail...'.
I know that guy. He sucks.

Back to thread topic - tell the potential buyer that you will contact him if/when you decide to sell. If he still asks to buy the card, then he is being too aggressive. Counter him with no reply OR just put an insane $ on it. It sometimes surprises me how much some people are willing to shell out for what they want.

Last edited by horzverti; 06-20-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:53 AM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default well

met someone at a national 8-10 years ago. Shortly after meeting him he happened to post something in monthly pick-ups that would be the centerpiece of my collection. It was an item that really didn't "fit" in his collection (non-sport as opposed to BB) so I wrote him with a STRONG offer and he respectfully declined. I wrote him about 6 months later raising my offer and long story short - I wrote him and raised my offer once or twice for the next few years to around 10,000. (I'm no whale but I HAD to have it!). He answered me for a while then stopped responding - I figured he was tired of hearing from me. Fast forward couple more years and I manage to speak to someone at whose national table I had originally met the person, and he in turn was able speak to that person on my behalf. Apparently the owner who had turned down my 10,000. offer for an item (likely one of a kind) worth at least few thousand (?) at auction was robbed of his stuff including the display item I had to have...…
In another case I wrote someone 2/3 times about an item within a 6 month period. They always answered but declined. I stopped writing. Fast forward 3(!) years and they offered it to me at my price :-)