NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-02-2018, 11:52 AM

Default RIP Bruce Kison.

Just read on the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette website. I do not have a link.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:12 PM
Peter F

And Brian he was an Orioles scout and they gave a moment of silence for him before the Yankee game today in Baltimore. I think he may have been the youngest pitcher to start a World Series game.

Last edited by WillowGrove; 06-02-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowGrove View Post
And Brian he was an Orioles scout and they gave a moment of silence for him before the Yankee game today in Baltimore. I think he may have been the youngest pitcher to start a World Series game.
I just remember the story that after the seventh game of the 1971 World Series, the Pirates chartered a plane for Kison so he could get to his wedding that day.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
No, he was the winning pitcher of the first World Series night game when he relieved Pirates starter Luke Walker in the 1st inning and pitched 6 1/3 innings of 1 hit ball. RIP Bruce.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:49 AM
Peter F

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
No, he was the winning pitcher of the first World Series night game when he relieved Pirates starter Luke Walker in the 1st inning and pitched 6 1/3 innings of 1 hit ball. RIP Bruce.
Ah, that's it, right. Solid pitcher.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:54 PM

The one thing that troubled him in 1978 and I believe 1979 was a fever blister on his throwing hand. I had never heard the term before and I have never heard the term since in regards to a pitcher.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:15 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
I just remember the story that after the seventh game of the 1971 World Series, the Pirates chartered a plane for Kison so he could get to his wedding that day.
Bob Prince chartered the helicopter. I have many fond memories of Kison from my childhood. He was a true competitor.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...-kison-dies-68
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kison.jpg (78.8 KB, 204 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 06-04-2018, 01:21 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:

I believe Ken Brett was the youngest, if not him, Dwight Gooden?

Upon further review, you are correct: Kison was a few months younger than Gooden and Brett didn't start, but was the youngest to pitch at 18

(but, he still wasn't pre-war)

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 06-04-2018 at 01:27 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I believe Ken Brett was the youngest, if not him, Dwight Gooden?

Upon further review, you are correct: Kison was a few months younger than Gooden and Brett didn't start, but was the youngest to pitch at 18

(but, he still wasn't pre-war)
Kison didn't start any World Series games in 1971.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:10 AM
Peter Spaeth

Jim Palmer started at 20 I believe.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:21 PM
Da.vid Schu.lman

Default Bruce The Assassin Kison

Funny how he got that nickname from opposing batters.He would invariably come inside to certain hitters when they batted.Mike Schmidt was one of them.In a game I was watching broadcast from Pittsburgh in the mid '70s,Kison came inside on Schmidt for a ball four.Schmidt was boiling .Slowly walked to first,midway stopped ,pointed his finger at Kison and muttered something.Kison threw his glove down and said C'mon.Schmidt charged,both dugouts emptied,and you know how those brawls ended.This time no one got hurt but Schmidt did all he could to rip Kison apart.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleguy64 View Post
Funny how he got that nickname from opposing batters.He would invariably come inside to certain hitters when they batted.Mike Schmidt was one of them.In a game I was watching broadcast from Pittsburgh in the mid '70s,Kison came inside on Schmidt for a ball four.Schmidt was boiling .Slowly walked to first,midway stopped ,pointed his finger at Kison and muttered something.Kison threw his glove down and said C'mon.Schmidt charged,both dugouts emptied,and you know how those brawls ended.This time no one got hurt but Schmidt did all he could to rip Kison apart.
That was part one. Part two was after the game when Kison went into the Phillies clubhouse and confronted Schmidt to tell Schmidt why he pitched him inside.