NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Do you factor the buyer's premium into your bid with an auction house?
Yes, of course, it is real money 182 92.86%
Most of the time, but sometimes I forget 9 4.59%
Rarely, because I am lazy or don't care 3 1.53%
Never, because I do not consider it part of my official bid 2 1.02%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2018, 10:02 AM
Paul

Default Auction House Buyer's Premiums

Figured we should get to the bottom of these pesky buyer's premiums that seem to get a fair amount of us all utzed up!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 06-01-2018, 10:16 AM

ALWAYS. Furthermore, when a record price is established, the adjusted value for the given card should take into account the gavel-winning bid AND the buyer's premium, considering the winner HAD to pay that out as well, before the auction house would mail him his card. Twenty percent buyer's premium is the going rate, and that ain't chump change! ----Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 06-01-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:16 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Honest answer is Most of the time rather than the 'real money' one, because sometimes (though rare), I do forget.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:37 AM
Paul

The early responses so far are restoring my faith in humanity!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 06-01-2018, 11:46 AM
Kev1n @1les

When I consigned with Heritage a few years ago, my rep told me "most people don't take the BP into consideration". In that instance, I had to pay 10% on my end plus the impact of the BP. I doubt I will go that route again because I don't think I get enough incremental eyes on it to break even at a 30% vig.

Where I struggle the most with is, even though I know and calculate the BP, the bid increments along with the BP usually cause me to overpay. I needed a '54 Bowman Ted Williams last year in a PSA 5. Peter had one on the board that was beautiful but it was sold before I got to it. Ebay had dried up for some reason - as there are usually 3-4 mid grade going at any time. As a result I bid at a mid-level AH with a 20% BP. In extended, my 1000 bid ($1200) felt steep but it was a pretty nice example. It was outbid with $1100 as the next one. I had to go $1200 to win it $1440. I knew it was $1440. It was clear. I am sure if I waited another month, I would find one here or on Ebay for $1000-$1200 delivered. But, to my error ad impatience, I was singularly focused on that hole in my collection and to the delight of consigners everywhere, I bit my bottom lip, hit the bid now button one more time and gave a PSA 6 price for a PSA 5 card.

If that card would have been on Ebay, I would have been just as eager to get it, but I wouldn't have been at $100 increments (120 including BP) and I might have been able to save in a 2 person war.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 06-01-2018, 12:11 PM
Robert Williams

I know I lost my tail selling a 1954 Bowman Ted Williams SGC 5...something like $800...before fees. That's why I won't sell another one on there.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:16 PM
Rob

This poll doesn't tell us anything. I factor in the BP every time, but I still bid to win and deal with the consequences later.

The question should've been do you reduce your max bid by the full amount of the BP every time? That would tell us more than these options do. But I get it, you wanted to skew the results to support your opinion.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:22 PM
pete ullman

it's gotten to the point in this hobby where if you want super premium items...you almost almost always have to pay a super premium price for them. And since it is the bigger AH's where these items tend to appear...this is the reality.

If you're overpaying at AH's on common T206's...you're stupid! IMO.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:34 PM
Luke Lyon

If you "bid to win and deal with the consequences later", isn't that just another way of saying you'll bid above your pre-determined max if you feel you have to in order to win an item? If so, the BP has nothing at all to do with it. You'd bid above your "max" in an eBay auction as well it sounds like. If you don't care how much you spend, there's no point in blaming the BP.

I don't think there's anything wrong with bidding to win at any cost for certain items. That being said, it's weird to blame anyone but yourself when you get the invoice.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:42 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
If you "bid to win and deal with the consequences later", isn't that just another way of saying you'll bid above your pre-determined max if you feel you have to in order to win an item? If so, the BP has nothing at all to do with it. You'd bid above your "max" in an eBay auction as well it sounds like. If you don't care how much you spend, there's no point in blaming the BP.

I don't think there's anything wrong with bidding to win at any cost for certain items. That being said, it's weird to blame anyone but yourself when you get the invoice.
I'm not blaming anyone. I think it's a rip off. There's a big difference there.

And again...there's a difference in card bidding and memorabilia bidding. Cards are easy to set a "max price" for. Memorabilia is not. There's not much reference material to help you. It's more...what can I afford? And just because I can afford it, doesn't mean I want the final price inflated by 20%.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
This poll doesn't tell us anything. I factor in the BP every time, but I still bid to win and deal with the consequences later.

The question should've been do you reduce your max bid by the full amount of the BP every time? That would tell us more than these options do. But I get it, you wanted to skew the results to support your opinion.
I think that's implicit in the question, but I agree with you () it would have been more precise phrased that way. And I still would have answered yes.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:28 PM
Banned

the bid increments some auction houses impose should bother bidders a lot more than a buyers premium. but for the most part, they don't. and won't.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
the bid increments some auction houses impose should bother bidders a lot more than a buyers premium. but for the most part, they don't. and won't.
I've been in that trap many times where I would bid somewhat more but the next increment is irrational.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:22 PM
+0m J()rd@N

I can find most of the items I'm after on the 'Bay. I may have to search for a couple of months to find the grade/price ratio I'm comfortable with, but what the heck, I've got time. Besides, that slows down my outlay over time so that I can put food in our mouths and pay the rent.

If I did bid at AHs, I would certainly take the BP into account. If I remembered to.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 06-02-2018, 04:50 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Not the BP as much, but then shipping kind of adds Insult to injury. I i do factor in the BP, but then looking at that final invoice with a ridiculous shipping charge always leaves a bad taste

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-02-2018, 06:04 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Not the BP as much, but then shipping kind of adds Insult to injury. I i do factor in the BP, but then looking at that final invoice with a ridiculous shipping charge always leaves a bad taste
+1...plus any other odd charges that were added...like tax!!!!
Old 06-02-2018, 06:27 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
+1...plus any other odd charges that were added...like tax!!!!
People mentioned it was cheaper to buy a house in tax free NV when the market crashed, and let the packages build up until was worth the trip!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-02-2018, 09:27 AM

So here is a fun and relevant experiment. Most you have likely seen the add here for R&R Auctions. I have no clue who they are but they have some very interesting and nice cards coming up for auction soon. I signed up for the auction and spent over an hour trying to navigate the site. A few things to note- first, the buyer’s premium is 22.5%!! Let’s see how that affects bidding; it will affect my bidding for sure. Second, nowhere that I can find do they list fees like shipping and sales tax. In fact, I cannot find one place, like every other auction house, that just lists all the rules.

I have sent them an email with a bunch of questions, but based on the high BP and the lack of transparency, coupled with the fact that I have never heard of them, I am very much on the fence whether I even place a bid on anything (and there are several things I need/could use).

With regards to this thread specifically, If I place any bids with this auction house, I will 100% be mindful of the fact that I need to add 22.5% to the price.

Ryan Hotchkiss

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 06-02-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:25 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Ryan, no idea who RR is either, but here is a link to the T&C. https://www.rrauction.com/terms.cfm. Interesting is they are in MA, have a NH mailing address and also collect PA sales tax. Seems like they are more of a general auction house rather than strictly a sports collectibles house.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 06-02-2018, 10:43 AM

Thanks DJ. I saw that page but didn’t realize you had to scroll down. That is helpful. Now, if I want a card that I think is worth $1000, my highest bid will be $775 (or as close as the increment will let me get), because I know (because it’s stated) that I have to add 22.5% to my bid
Old 06-03-2018, 09:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

3.2% idiots. I would have thought more.

Last edited by Leon; 06-03-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:52 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
3.2% idiots. I would have thought more.

That's because many here confuse disdain for the BP with people not knowing it exists.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:57 AM
Peter Spaeth

This horse died a long time ago.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:57 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

How do you bid in an auction and not know the BP exists? That's amazing to me.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 06-03-2018, 11:01 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
How do you bid in an auction and not know the BP exists? That's amazing to me.
How do you have disdain for something that has no effect?

Old 06-03-2018, 11:31 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
You have to have disdain for something in order the justify being a troll.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:07 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Now that's funny.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:08 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
You have to have disdain for something in order the justify being a troll.
Pardon me if you are one...but "troll" is a term used by old ladies that just learned how to use the internet. Not men. Again...my apologies if I've mistaken your gender.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Attached Images
File Type: jpg No-Man-Is-An-Island-All-Are-Parts-Whole.jpg (34.6 KB, 70 views)

Old 06-03-2018, 06:53 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Pardon me if you are one...but "troll" is a term used by old ladies that just learned how to use the internet. Not men. Again...my apologies if I've mistaken your gender.
Lol. You literally make my point for me.