NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-22-2014, 06:52 AM
Zach

Default Digging up history - the companies behind the cards

As a few of you here already know, I've been attempting to compile data for a website that covers Louisiana type cards. I wanted to cover more than just the cards themselves so I've been researching the companies that actually distributed these cards with their products. While researching L. Frank & Co., manufacturer of Tango Eggs, I ended up writing back and forth with a local historian. She recently sent me an excerpt from an interview she did a while back with Mr. Philip Frank, a direct descendant of the original owner. In the interview he reveals that the name Tango Eggs came about simply because the dance was popular at the time.

She's supposed to be reaching out to Mr. Frank to see if he would like to discuss his family's business with me. Has anyone else ever had an opportunity to hear some first-hand accounts from people directly associated with the companies that produced and/or distributed the cards we chase after today? I'd love to hear some more stories.

Here's the excerpt:

LAD—“So that there was no one person who was like, “Well, we’re gonna use a rose and that sort of thing?”

PFF—“No. The thing about the rose that’s the, you bring these things back that I haven’t thought about. Back in the 20s or 30s, we had a brand of egg called the “Tango,” which was the “Tango Eggs,” because the Tango was a popular dance back then, and I actually had some of the little posters that we used back then. And then the Tango went out of fashion and my grandfather, Charles Frank, Sr., said you know, “We need something that’s gonna last,” and he came up with the name “American Beauty.”

LAD—“Ok.”

PFF—“And he was quite a character. Every single day, he wore an American Beauty rose in his lapel. That one picture you see of him there’s an American Beauty rose in his lapel, and that’s sort of how we started with the American Beauty brand and then just continued and again, an easy thing to remember.”

LAD—“Right, gotcha. I wondered ‘cause I mean I’ve heard of the American Beauty rose and I saw it on the signage, I’m like, “Hmmmm.”

PFF—“Yeah, well, that’s where it came from. You know to put the two together. We had trade marks on ‘em. We only had one issue, I think, many years ago. There was a company in St. Louis that had an American Beauty pasta. And they wanted us to stop using American Beauty but I don’t think it went anywhere because we were different geographically and it was a different product and they had never sold pasta under American Beauty in this market. There was several reasons if I remember correctly, it never went anywhere. So we sort of maintained that trade mark. Now when we sold the business to Caro PFG, they weren’t really interested in my opinion, in the retail business. They were more into the food service side, so over the next couple of years and I left the company, they really just lost total interest in the American Beauty family of products in the grocery stores. And it ended up, butter I think today is the only product that’s still available under the American Beauty brand. Whereas at one time, when I was working here, we probably had about 20, 25 different products under that brand.”

NOTE: Tango hit America c. 1914/5, crossover in 1921/Valentino
Old 05-22-2014, 07:17 AM
Alex

Zach - Thanks for sharing in your find. Keep up the research!
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:21 AM
ErikV

Default Re: Digging up history - the companies behind the cards

Zach,

Great post! I've got a similar story to share. Back in 2008 I began researching
information about the Philadelphia Caramel Company. I managed to
locate a grandson of the original owners, who, by the way, still lives in
New Jersey. He provided me with a few photos of the owners that I used
in the publishing of my first book.

Fast forward to last year. I decided to write another book, this time
exclusively being a biography about the Philadelphia Caramel owner. I've
been in contact with the same family member, who has provided me with
additional photos, family records, and memoirs from his grandfather! For
this I am extremely grateful.

All along, this family has been so cooperative and helpful, really going above
and beyond to be helpful to me. Upon completion of the first book, I sent him
a complimentary copy of the book, as I plan to do for the second book as well.

Best of luck with your research on the Tango Egg brand. There is definitely a
story to be told, and who better to tell it than you! Yes, there is also an
audience who would read your book if you ever decided to write one.

As a side note, I was once the webmaster for the website 1919BlackSox.com.
I had a number of players families, including two of the Black Sox players' families
write to me.

ErikV
Old 05-22-2014, 10:20 AM
Zach

Erik, do you have a link to the book?
Old 05-22-2014, 10:41 AM
ErikV

PM sent.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This is great stuff. Thanks Zach!!
Old 05-23-2014, 12:05 PM
ErikV

All,

I've gotten a few PM inquiring about how to obtain a copy of my book.
There was only one print run of 100 books produced. I have the last ten
copies available. If anyone is interested, they're available for 12.99 + 2.51
s/h, for a total of $14.50. If anyone is interested, my PayPal account is
star6240@att.net.

The book is 111 pages in length with several black and white photos. Here's
a copy of the bookcover.

For those are interested, please advise if you'd like the book signed or inscribed.

ErikV
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a1.jpg (48.1 KB, 102 views)
Old 05-23-2014, 12:14 PM
Belltown Vintage

I have a copy - it's a very interesting read, even moreso if you've ever collected E95 or E96 cards.