NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-22-2014, 08:04 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

I must confess that one of the advantages of the old flips is that sometimes you can only see the upper half of the cert number until you get the card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Howell Hand at Waist 30.jpg (53.4 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg Lentz OMSL 10.jpg (48.4 KB, 287 views)

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:11 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Many companies will test market a product and study the consumer feedback before releasing it into the marketplace. I hope SGC uses this thread as their test audience and proceeds accordingly. Obviously, with near universal dislike of this label- count me among those who think it looks awful- hopefully they will reconsider the change.

That's only for companies that seek to make a profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2014, 08:21 AM

Default I was there may20

I walked in Tuesday with 2 cards (I live 40 miles from them). The 2 cards I got back were in the "old" style. Green borders, I had a card done by them in 2005 and the label looks the same. Unlesss I am not understanding the term "FLIP".
Thanks-Tom
Old 05-22-2014, 08:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Here is the new flip and it has been changed on the cards on their website...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sgcflip.jpg (69.2 KB, 830 views)
Old 05-22-2014, 08:30 AM
pete ullman

tHAT'S A SLIGHT IMPROVEMENT...PERSONALLY i THINK IT'D BE A GOOD IDEA TO CARRY THE GREEN BORDER AROUND THE PERIPHERY.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:41 AM
Tony N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
tHAT'S A SLIGHT IMPROVEMENT...PERSONALLY i THINK IT'D BE A GOOD IDEA TO CARRY THE GREEN BORDER AROUND THE PERIPHERY.
Pete,

I agree. I like the "SGC" micro print watermarks throughout, but I think by leaving the green border on the flip, it would look very nice. Just my opinion.

Can any of the photoshop experts create a SGC slab with the new flip, and put it a T-206 card in the pic? Just to see what it may look like? The cards they pictured on their website, were newer full sized cards.

Tony

Last edited by e107collector; 05-22-2014 at 08:43 AM. Reason: more info
Old 05-22-2014, 08:52 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post

I agree (but not quite as emphatically).
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:57 AM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Agreed change will come no matter what, but I think that by simply adding a green border to the flip this will make thousands of collectors happy. Our old slabs may no longer be uniform with the new, but with the added green border they will at least look close.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:03 AM
Zach

The new flip isn't TOO bad but I agree that the current one looks better. I'm also with the group that thinks the new flip would look much better with the green border.

Here's an idea of what the new flip would look like with a simple green border all the way around:

Old 05-22-2014, 09:04 AM
Jason S!m@nds

In my opinion, it looks better with the border. Novice collectors identify SGC with the flip. If you change the color scheme, people will notice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SGC FLIP.jpg (20.5 KB, 264 views)
Old 05-22-2014, 09:06 AM
Steve Freedman

Old 05-22-2014, 09:18 AM
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
Thank goodness you posted this. I was on my way to a skyscraper to jump.

me too......lol
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 05-22-2014, 09:18 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post

And then when it comes to the cards themselves, members generally agree in unison and chime in with the Net54 mantra "Buy the card and not the holder".
If the holder and the flip are so (expletive deleted) important, more so than the card itself, isn't the mantra a bit hypocritical?
Agreed, this whole thing shows how much emphasis people truly put on the holders. Takes away from emphasis on the card.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:21 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Agreed, this whole thing shows how much emphasis people truly put on the holders. Takes away from emphasis on the card.
I understand that, buy the card, not the holder yadda yadda yadda.....but if you are OCD or like your collection to match, then mix-match flips will drive you bonkers if you are building a set!
Old 05-22-2014, 09:22 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
in my opinion, it looks better with the border. Novice collectors identify sgc with the flip. If you change the color scheme, people will notice.
+1...the green border makes a difference.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:23 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
I agree (but not quite as emphatically).
damn work computer requires caps lock!
Old 05-22-2014, 09:36 AM
Isaac Lane

Default Like Tiger Woods changing his golf swing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I understand that, buy the card, not the holder yadda yadda yadda.....but if you are OCD or like your collection to match, then mix-match flips will drive you bonkers if you are building a set!
This is going to drive the set builders crazy.

The flip doesn't look as good, that is just the simple truth.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:48 AM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

This looks better, but I would make the green border on top slightly thicker to match the style of the old ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SGC FLIP.jpg (20.5 KB, 301 views)
Old 05-22-2014, 09:57 AM
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati View Post
This looks better, but I would make the green border on top slightly thicker to match the style of the old ones.

I agree .........I think they should consider the green border
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 05-22-2014, 10:10 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Totally agree, that's why I collect raw.

Well, that's one of many reasons I should say.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:21 AM
And.rew C0rs0

I like the new website. I was not sure what you guys were referring to because my iPhone appears to link to a cached site that still looks like the old one. But when I logged on with an actual PC it goes to the new site. Looks good.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
Changing the flips is a major mistake in my opinion, as others have stated they have no resemblance to the current ones and will make sets and collections non-cohesive. At least when PSA makes changes to the flips they somewhat resemble the older ones. And just when I thought I might go ALL SGC with my set????
+1

Why on Earth would they change the flip so drastically? Looks very early 1990's, when all of those start-up grading companies were trying to break in...Bad idea.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
+1

Why on Earth would they change the flip so drastically? Looks very early 1990's, when all of those start-up grading companies were trying to break in...Bad idea.
Hey Mike
Did you see the new flip just posted above? It is anything but poorly done or 1990s, in my not so humble opinion. It looks very nice to me but would be even better with a green border. I am not OCD and don't care as much about the holders as I do the cards.....and realize it does matter more to many other collectors so am not pushing my thoughts on others. I am merely giving one opinion.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:38 AM
Archive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
This will hurt the resale value of SGC cards.
We can only hope.

I still need quite a few cards to complete my set.

But Hey, turn lemons into lemonade.

This adds a whole new dimension to my collection.

I'm going to do a flip run, you know, kinda like T206 collectors do a back run of a certain player.

Jantz
Old 05-22-2014, 10:45 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Those new flips are GAI.
Adam, just wanted to let you know that I got your joke.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:50 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I noticed that the new flip no longer has a bar code. Not sure if that's important to anyone. I know that sometimes I check the bar code to see if it matches w/ the cert # if I think the flip may be fake. That may no longer be necessary w/ the new watermark.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:04 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Old 05-22-2014, 11:05 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantz View Post
We can only hope.

I still need quite a few cards to complete my set.
In the spirit of compassion I am also willing to buy some of the newly holdered cards at 70% retail. I know that offer may shock some of you but I want to do the right thing.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 05-22-2014, 11:23 AM
Ed McCollum

Default I'n not in to graded cards (for the most part)

Any time I get one of Howe's cards that has been graded, by anyone, I bust it out and put it in the binder. But I've always thought that at some point and time (maybe card 300, or 500, or whatever) I'd send them all off to be graded, in hopes of getting consecutively numbered cards back. And I always thought it would be SGC I would send them too, because of the black gasket that makes any card pop compared to the plain plastic around others, and an overall look of elegance, compared to other graded cards.

Now, with this ugly white-for-the-most-part flip, which almost draws the eye to the flip instead of the card, guess I'll be saving all my money to buy more cards to go in to the binder, and forget about SGC.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:25 AM
Rich Klein

I agree with everyone who put the new borders in green. That design will stand out at a show, etore, etc. In addition, it takes the design out of the PRO, MGS design realm.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:30 AM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Default Hey Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
I'm sitting here in amazement at the irony of this thread and others.

Members chime in unison about the poor quality of the holders (any TPG) and rail on about fraudulent cards being placed in cracked holders and resold, holders (or gaskets) that don't hold the cards, or holders that are too thick or too thin.

Then the members in unison get all bent out of shape and chime in about a change in flips, whose sole purpose is to identify the card, certify its authenticity and assign an opinion regarding its condition.

And then when it comes to the cards themselves, members generally agree in unison and chime in with the Net54 mantra "Buy the card and not the holder".
If the holder and the flip are so (expletive deleted) important, more so than the card itself, isn't the mantra a bit hypocritical?

Furthermore these threads tend to promote behavior seen in lemmings with someone expressing their "personal" opinion (regarding the flip for example) and then the entire symphony orchestra feels compelled to respond in harmony.

Change is inevitable. Some will resist. Others will adapt. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but following a leader in lockstep didn't work in Jonestown for the Koolaid drinkers.

Be independent, my friends, and don't get swept away by the wave of a Net54 thread. Maybe everyone should design a flip they would be happy with and post it. Do you think we would agree on which one is the best? I respectfully think not.
The SGC management decision to change their label has drawn negative comments from SGC customers who have invested in their product and much prefer the as is look and to have uniformity in their collection. There is no need for your arrogant insult comparing us to "follow the leader" lemmings or your hackneyed philosophy.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:34 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrys View Post
The SGC management decision to change their label has drawn negative comments from SGC customers who have invested in their product and much prefer the as is look and to have uniformity in their collection. There is no need for your arrogant insult comparing us to "follow the leader" lemmings or your hackneyed philosophy.
I didn't take it that way. I took it that he was saying we should make our own decisions based on our own thoughts, and not follow what others say for the sake of following, but maybe I am under a false apprehension?
Old 05-22-2014, 11:35 AM
Chris

C'mon. No need for fighting. Let's get back to what we are all in this hobby for . . . the flips . . .
Old 05-22-2014, 11:40 AM
Derek Granger

It's just....too....much!

New holder + new flip + new website
Is equivalent to:
New job + new house + new baby

Way too much to bite off at one time.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 05-22-2014, 11:46 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
It's just....too....much!

New holder + new flip + new website
Is equivalent to:
New job + new house + new baby

Way too much to bite off at one time.
Maybe that is why I don't mind it because I did the New Job/Career + New House + New Baby (actually had to leave the hospital to get papers singed on the house in a quick deadline) just last year.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:51 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

How about infinite guaranteed days on autographed cards, I can't find that on their new site, yet that's what I was told after my 20 day guaranteed submission, 35 days later

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 05-22-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:12 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I didn't take it that way. I took it that he was saying we should make our own decisions based on our own thoughts, and not follow what others say for the sake of following, but maybe I am under a false apprehension?

Are you saying that we should think for ourselves?!?!?!
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 05-22-2014, 12:13 PM
Greg Mitchell

I love it when people who disagree with a majority claim most in the majority are just "following" leaders like lemmings (or want to be just part of "the crowd") and therefore their views can be discounted. Who are these leaders here? And why in the world would anyone here be afraid to express a contrary opinion?
Old 05-22-2014, 12:25 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitch34 View Post
I love it when people who disagree with a majority claim most in the majority are just "following" leaders like lemmings (or want to be just part of "the crowd") and therefore their views can be discounted. Who are these leaders here? And why in the world would anyone here be afraid to express a contrary opinion?
If people are just following a leader than it is obvious that I am not one of these "leaders" as I think I am the only one that said that I didn't mind the new one. In fact, I really don't want a dominant color on the flip.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:27 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
I'd like to believe we are all independent thinkers who just happen to agree that the new flip design is terrible. It's somewhat insulting that Frank believes we are mindless drones playing follow the leader. I hate the new design because it looks terrible to me, not because others dislike it. It won't prevent me from buying an SGC graded card but it likely will prevent me from using their service, so I find the whole 'buy the card not the holder' argument being thrown in our face by Frank as mildly insulting as well.

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 05-22-2014 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Maybe SGC should just man up. Definitely not seeing anyone man up over there.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:45 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Has there been any response from SGC? It sounds like Leon has had some correspondence, but no actual company statement as of yet. It's just hard to believe that the current design is their best effort and the response in this thread has been overwhelmingly negative which you would think extends beyond the net54 community.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I was told SGC will most likely put out a statement later today or tomorrow. They do read this board frequently and take the comments under consideration. I am sure they want to take care of their customers while improving as much as they can. Sometimes when decisions have to be made you can try to appease the masses but "everyone" will never be happy. It is impossible.

Personally I think if they put the green border around it then that is about all I could ask for. But I am not the masses, nor a set collector, nor a holder collector so it doesn't make as much difference to me as it does others. And I don't even know that putting a green border around it is feasible? Sometimes printing can be tricky..

And I hope I wasn't putting words in Frank's mouth before when I said what I thought he meant. That was a faux pas on my part. I can barely keep up with myself.

I should add that my graded collection IS almost entirely in SGC holders.

Last edited by Leon; 05-22-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:20 PM
Pau.l C

Quote:
I was told SGC will most likely put out a statement later today or tomorrow. They do read this board frequently and take the comments under consideration. I am sure they want to take care of their customers while improving as much as they can. Sometimes when decisions have to be made you can try to appease the masses but "everyone" will never be happy. It is impossible.

Personally I think if they put the green border around it then that is about all I could ask for. But I am not the masses, nor a set collector, nor a holder collector so it doesn't make as much difference to me as it does others. And I don't even know that putting a green border around it is feasible? Sometimes printing can be tricky..

And I hope I wasn't putting words in Frank's mouth before when I said what I thought he meant. That was a faux pas on my part. I can barely keep up with myself.

I should add that my graded collection IS almost entirely in SGC holders.
Thanks for all your efforts Leon! I thought the images today with the water mark looked better than yesterday's white appearing label. The green border would certainly go a long way towards pleasing many of us loyal SGC customers and give a better sense of continuity.
Paul C

Last edited by chernieto; 05-22-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:22 PM
pete ullman

You guys should cut Frank some slack...much of what he speaks is the truth...and he's a bit of a sarcastic...wise-ass kinda guy..like me...but he's a lot smarter than I.

On the note at hand...and in opposition of Franks words...I think the flip is very important in aiding in projecting the TPG's image. The Flip should be appealing to the eye...somewhat unique...be written in an easy to read/boldish type font...have some form of id #...and should state the issue and grade in a clear and concise manner...and I almost forgot...almost impossible to falsify.

Additionally...if I were an established TPG with a good reputation...I'd want my Flip to remain recognizable and identifiable as mine...despite changes and evolution of the flip...while still complementing older versions of the flip.

In summary I'd want my flip to be like a porsche 911...or vw beetle!

Last edited by ullmandds; 05-22-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:25 PM
Randall Kelley

Default question!

how do you pull up prior and current submission list on new sgc site?
Old 05-22-2014, 01:43 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleyrj1 View Post
how do you pull up prior and current submission list on new sgc site?
Apparently no one told SGC or SimpleAuctionSite (I believe the vendor for the new website) that there are these things called tablets and smartphones that don't have the concept of "hover." The "red bar" near the top does not work on the About, Submit Cards or Resources text. On a PC/Mac, hover over those to get a list. Proper implementation would be that a click would also display the sublist for those areas.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:50 PM
Luke Lyon

I'm one of the OCD set collectors who will be annoyed if this drastic change happens. But I'm trying to be less OCD, so I I'll do my best to roll with it.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:54 PM
Randall Kelley

thanks t206hound! i'll try that. always something new to deal with.
i guess life is like that, if there was not something new all the time,
life would be boresome. if sgc changes it format, we'll just have to
change with it. been dealing with sgc for years. always been good
to me.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:05 PM
Randall Kelley

just checked sgc web site, they put a drop down "check invoice" on it.
not all data is inputted yet. but at least they are trying.