NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-25-2005, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Default CSA grading?

Posted By: joe maples

Has anyone bought cards that were graded by this company. And did they cross over to SGC ok?

Joe

Old 09-25-2005, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Default CSA grading?

Posted By: Mark Holt

I've bought 4 c55 hockey graded by CSA and each crossed to PSA with the same grade.

Old 09-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Default CSA grading?

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

I wouldn't touch it. In most cases there is a reason cards are sent to them and not one of the more prominent grading services.

Old 09-25-2005, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Default CSA grading?

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

About 4 or 5 years ago I purchased a few Sport Kings (non baseball) in CSA holders. I crossed them over to SGC: one got lowered by 1.5 while the other was lowered by 2. The cards were bargains because of the CSA holders and were still worth the SGC grades but it went to show how lenient the CSA graders were as opposed to the SGC graders.

I would not spend a lot of money on cards encapsulated by companies other than SGC, psa or SCD. I'm wary of GAI but I'll buy the lower graded stuff in their holders.

Old 09-25-2005, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Default CSA grading?

Posted By: joe maples

Thanks for input, I won't be bidding on the Cobb on ebay.

Joe

Old 09-25-2005, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Default CSA grading?

Posted By: tbob

I don't why you would be wary of GAI. I have had more problems than anyone with them but the problems have always dealt with the return and loss of my cards in transit, the time spent in grading, etc. Their grading, to me, is very close to that of SGC. I do hate their slabs of oversize cards (Fatimas, etc) which look like license plate holders but their actual grading has never been a problem for me.
Now if you want to be wary of someone, if you have the Mastro catalogues from the past few years, it might surprise you to look at the auctions which Mastro had which said that a specific lot contained cards which were trimmed and altered and then check ebay some time to see what appears to be those same cards in one particular company's holders, and it ain't GAI. Check out the E93s, E94s and E95s in Lot 1607 in the auction which started on August 11, 2003 and which Mastro CLEARLY stated were trimmed and altered. Look at the scans. Any of them look familiar as having been sold in slabs on ebay in 2004 and 2005?

Old 09-25-2005, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Default CSA grading?

Posted By: Anonymous

What holders were they in ?????

Old 09-25-2005, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Default CSA grading?

Posted By: barry arnold

I'm with tbob.
i have about 50 of my t206's in GAI holders and they have been
graded much like my 150 or so SGC's. Now, i am talking post-mike
baker GAI.

all the best

Barry

Old 09-26-2005, 02:24 AM
Administrator

Default CSA grading?

Posted By: scott ingold

GAI is my choice for my own cards. To sell ? Unfortunatly that is a different story. There service is far and away the best imo and i truly believe that they are just as accurate as SGC. As for PSA lets just leave it at they sell for the best $'s and thats all.

Old 09-26-2005, 02:26 AM
Administrator

Default CSA grading?

Posted By: scott ingold

I bought a 66 rose graded a 9 and crossed to a gai 7.5. I did see one dealer at the fort show with a bunch of t206's in the new scd holders. Any thoughts on that ?

Old 09-27-2005, 02:46 AM
Administrator

Default CSA grading?

Posted By: Nick

The old SCD (Sports Collectors Digest Authentic, with the red logo) grading is solid. I purchased 3 cards slabbed by them, and have looked at dozens more. Their application of grading standards and knowledge were at least better than BVG, and probably on par with GAI from what I've seen.

Stay away from the new SCD (Sports Cards Direct, with the blue logo). They bought the equipment from Sports Collectors Digest, but otherwise have no affiliation with them, and give every indication of being just another offbrand grading company.

Old 09-27-2005, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Default CSA grading?

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

The only CSA card I ever owned was a prewar HOFer graded 6, which crossed as a 6 with no problem.