NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-02-2016, 07:46 PM
Bill Potter

Default Wheaties Panels

Just bought my first Wheaties Panel from an ebay seller. It is also my first Gomez.
I am assuming it will be the size of the back of a cereal box? I will have to find a full page sized sleeve to put it in my binder.
I would love any history on the Wheaties panels if anyone would provide.
I am assuming these were popular in the thirties because more kids probably had breakfast cereal than expendable money to blow on gum cards. the seller says its a 1939 release.
Love to see any panels you guys own. This will make my Exhibit cards look small

Old 12-03-2016, 05:40 AM
Jeff P

Joe Squires (another Net54 member) and I wrote an article on Wheaties football panels for Gridiron Greats magazine a few years ago. It has a brief history of Wheaties cereal and how General Mills got into using athletes on their boxes in the '30s as part of their marketing. I can send you a copy if you want of the article ... just PM me your email.

Yes, if the panels are not trimmed, they are the size of a cereal box. HOWEVER, Wheaties boxes back then were quite a bit smaller than they are today so don't be surprised. The boxes were approximately 6x8 and so these panels easily fit into 8x11 sheets.

Hope this helps.

jeff
Old 12-03-2016, 05:49 AM
Matthew Fritz

I am the seller you bought that Gomez from. I actually found about 60 of these Wheaties panels at an estate sale last summer. I didn't know much about them at the time. Just that they were cool. I bought them from the family of the man who originally cut them out of the Wheaties boxes. Here is one I kept for my Cubs collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161203_0002.jpg (79.9 KB, 500 views)
Old 12-03-2016, 06:47 AM
Bill Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RackPackManiac View Post
I am the seller you bought that Gomez from. I actually found about 60 of these Wheaties panels at an estate sale last summer. I didn't know much about them at the time. Just that they were cool. I bought them from the family of the man who originally cut them out of the Wheaties boxes. Here is one I kept for my Cubs collection.
That Dean is cool! I was going back and forth on the other panel you had since I didn't know anything about them but when I saw the Gomez it was over, I had to have that one
Old 12-03-2016, 07:12 AM
Sc0tt Sp@id

That Dean panel is sweet. I love the story on it.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:40 AM

Default 1939 Wheaties Panels

Count me as one who begged his mother to buy the bright and attractive Wheaties boxes in 1939 and later for the Detroit players (Greenberg, Bridges and particularly Gehringer). Rice Krispies and Corn Flakes were less expensive, and my pleas usually went unheeded. I have had to make up these deficiencies as an adult. I may be mistaken, but I believe that the Detroit Tigers radio home broadcasts were partially sponsored by Wheaties who exhorted their listeners to "go to the kitchen right now and fill your bowl with delicious Wheaties flakes." I was nine years old at the time and did just that. Except I had to do it with Kellogg's Corn Flakes.

Keith H Thompson
Old 12-03-2016, 09:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That is pretty cool you begged your mom to buy you the 1939 Wheaties. That makes you almost as old as Teddy Z. !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith H. Thompson View Post
Count me as one who begged his mother to buy the bright and attractive Wheaties boxes in 1939 and later for the Detroit players (Greenberg, Bridges and particularly Gehringer). Rice Krispies and Corn Flakes were less expensive, and my pleas usually went unheeded. I have had to make up these deficiencies as an adult. I may be mistaken, but I believe that the Detroit Tigers radio home broadcasts were partially sponsored by Wheaties who exhorted their listeners to "go to the kitchen right now and fill your bowl with delicious Wheaties flakes." I was nine years old at the time and did just that. Except I had to do it with Kellogg's Corn Flakes.

Keith H Thompson
Old 12-03-2016, 02:33 PM
David McDonald

Quote:

Keith H Thompson
I weigh in at 66 years old myself and my eyes have seen a lot of wonderful old-time baseball stuff. But I envy that you got here twenty years sooner and were witness to things I can only imagine vicariously.

I picked up a handful of these Wheaties "proofs" from one of the AH's about a decade ago. (Remember GAI? A tip o' the Kawika hat to the first "open Monday" joker).

Old 12-03-2016, 02:47 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Wow, such great stuff! My earliest recollection is the post cereal boxes. Thanks for posting.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:57 PM
Bill Potter

Quote:

Keith H Thompson
That is one of the coolest stories I have heard. I can't imagine those times being born in 1970 but I envision a world like Ralphie lived in in A Christmas Story. I have an uncle who was born in 1931 and when talking BB cards with him his first question was "Do you have a Dizzy Dean?".
Old 12-03-2016, 05:32 PM

Default Wheaties Charles Gehringer

I am emboldened by the interest in an old man's memories to add one more remark about Wheaties and their back panels over the late thirties. But first, what man or boy among you, upon seeing this Gehringer panel, could resist them? If they were "aces on Gehringer's plate"," that was good enough for me.

My mother did let me get most if not all of the 1939 Centennial Wheaties panels when they came out. The history of baseball had (and still has) a special fascination for me because from my earliest memories I heard stories from my father about his uncles who played seriously for the Danville, IN Browns in the 1880s. One of whom was Sam Thompson (Detroit 1885-1888, Philadelphia 1889-1898, Detroit 1906, HOF 1974). My mother kept her sewing materials in the gold plated silver cup given to Sam by the Philadelphia fans in 1894 (I believe). Also in the cup was Sam's 1887 boxed Dauvray Cup Medal and a ball, which along with a bat of Sam's, my brother and I would use for play.

It was not my intention to detract this thread from the Wheaties panel discussion, so I will conclude with another story. I was deadly serious about not being allowed to buy Wheaties panels, other than the Centennial issues. I did have a Hank Greenberg and pasted it into a large childhood scrapbook along with newspaper cutouts from the Detroit News and Free Press. About 1954 on my return from Korea I went over some of my childhood "possessions" to decide what to keep and what to throw away. To my dismay I discovered that my younger brother had appropriated all of the sports pictures he coveted for his own scrapbook, and in particular had taken a razor blade and extracted Hank Greenbergs body (outstretched glove and all). The more I think of it today I wonder if Hank ever received a more personal touch of a fan's admiration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img753.jpg (75.2 KB, 367 views)
Old 12-03-2016, 09:40 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

I love these stories, Mr. Thompson. I recently picked this up. I would have loved to have seen those guys play live.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2959.jpg (5.4 KB, 352 views)
Old 12-03-2016, 09:57 PM
Bruce Fairchild

[QUOTE=sandmountainslim;16074n "Do you have a Dizzy Dean?".[/QUOTE]

I Vividly remember dizzy dean and pewee reese calling the game of the week.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:32 AM

I have about 5 panels of Cardinals in cheap dollar store frames on my office wall. I put colored paper for the background, trimmed them up nicely, and put tape on the back To hold them to the paper and they look nice displayed that way

Last edited by David W; 12-04-2016 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:41 AM
Chris Counts

I really like the 1937 series 9 set because of its colorful images. The Dodgers actually wore green that year, and the Mungo is the only card I've seen that shows it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37cuyler.jpg (45.9 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg 37martin.jpg (66.2 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg 37mungo.jpg (55.6 KB, 317 views)
Old 12-04-2016, 12:45 PM
Ben North

These are very cool. After seeing them I wanted to make a few different boxes for my personal collection. Way too poor to buy real ones so I settle for "custom" made pieces. This one is 3 1/8" X 5 3/4". Here is a great site I found that shows a ton of box designs. http://cerealpriceguide.blogspot.com...ice-guide.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheatiesF.jpg (71.0 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg wheatiesB.jpg (72.7 KB, 306 views)

Last edited by bnorth; 12-04-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:12 PM
Bill Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
These are very cool. After seeing them I wanted to make a few different boxes for my personal collection. Way too poor to buy real ones so I settle for "custom" made pieces. This one is 3 1/8" X 5 3/4". Here is a great site I found that shows a ton of box designs. http://cerealpriceguide.blogspot.com...ice-guide.html
That box looks great! Thanks for the link, Very cool site.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:30 PM
Bill Potter

How rare/common are the various Wheaties panels when compared to other releases from the period like Goudey, Play Ball, Exhibits etc?
Old 12-04-2016, 08:34 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

They're tougher to find but not with great demand owing to the sizes and usually ragged condition. I happen to really like them and have quite a few.

Series 1 I appreciate the clear, clean pop art-style images:

Nice thing is that if the kid messed up the border partially, as he did with the Klein, you can bob it down the next layer of frame and it still looks good:

The instructional ones can be a little more ragged:

One thing that is clear with handling lots of Wheaties boxes is that kids in the 1930s had very poor hand-eye coordination because most of the box cards I see have miserable cuts. As do most strip cards.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-04-2016, 09:14 PM
Bill Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
They're tougher to find but not with great demand owing to the sizes and usually ragged condition. I happen to really like them and have quite a few.

Series 1 I appreciate the clear, clean pop art-style images:

Nice thing is that if the kid messed up the border partially, as he did with the Klein, you can bob it down the next layer of frame and it still looks good:

The instructional ones can be a little more ragged:

One thing that is clear with handling lots of Wheaties boxes is that kids in the 1930s had very poor hand-eye coordination because most of the box cards I see have miserable cuts. As do most strip cards.
I am starting to like them a lot also. Bought three in the past week and will probably ad more.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:40 PM

Default Having your head in the sun is warmer than having it just in the clouds

Since I first became aware of its existence a few years back, I have loved the Mungo that Chris showed...he's got one foot firmly planted on solid ground, a high leg kick over the moon, and his head in the sun. Talk about conceptual...

It is the only one that I own, but I do really like others from the same series as well.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 12-04-2016 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:53 AM

Default The All American Boy

Jack Armstrong, the All American Boy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img755.jpg (78.1 KB, 276 views)
Old 12-05-2016, 09:27 AM
Derek Granger

Default Wheaties

Keith - thanks for the cool story!!

Here's my Gehrig:

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)

Last edited by h2oya311; 12-05-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:22 AM
Justin

The Wheaties mini (or single size) are tougher to find, but they're cool because they are about the same size as early Topps so they fit in a top loader.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 12-06-2016, 02:28 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmo View Post
The Wheaties mini (or single size) are tougher to find, but they're cool because they are about the same size as early Topps so they fit in a top loader.
Yes, they are really tough to find. It is believed that the single serve boxes were only sold in restaurants and cafe cars on trains and not in grocery stores. I talk a bit about this in my Wheaties article.

jeff
Old 12-06-2016, 02:46 PM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
Yes, they are really tough to find. It is believed that the single serve boxes were only sold in restaurants and cafe cars on trains and not in grocery stores. I talk a bit about this in my Wheaties article.

jeff
Do you know if the single serve checklists are the same as the full size (and did they make them all years)? If your article is posted somewhere I'd really like to see it. Thanks.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 12-06-2016, 07:23 PM
Bill Potter

Quote:
I got the Gomez today and LOVE it! I ordered another from you on ebay and one from a member here and one from another ebay seller I am really liking these panels.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:53 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

All the talk of Wheaties panels had me foraging for some new Gehrig stuff. Picked these up on Ebay. Odd item. Advertising proof sheets that were from the estate of an advertising guy who worked for the company with the GM account in the 1930s. The seller seems totally above board so I took a shot. Certainly not something you see every day.

(If this is some knock off or fantasy piece. . . let me have it with both barrels.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gehrig Wheaties.jpg (79.6 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg Wheaties Gehrig.jpg (74.1 KB, 208 views)
Old 12-07-2016, 03:08 PM

Default Very Nice

Here is my 1935 Wheaties Jimmie Foxx. I sent it in few years back and it is still 1 of 1 with none higher. I thought it would grade higher, but upon calling SGC they said the small amount back residue why the grade. No creases and cut full.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WheatiesFoxx.jpg (75.4 KB, 204 views)
Old 12-07-2016, 04:20 PM
Bill Potter

Tip of my hat to Sam Majors for the Mel Ott
Thank you, sir! Very nice card and some of the best packaging I have ever encountered.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:46 PM

Default Wheaties panels

Bill,
Glad the Ott Wheaties got there in good shape. Here is the other Cochrane that's in the series. He is pictured in a white hat instead of blue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cochrane 001.jpg (82.3 KB, 278 views)
Old 12-07-2016, 04:57 PM
Bill Potter

Why are Series 1 called 1935? Were they not produced both in 1934 and 1935? I was thinking I read the Gehrig came out in summer of 34.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:28 PM
Jeff P

No one has yet shown a full box back for the Wheaties sets that have frames around the players picture. Full backs include a "tab" at the bottom that says:

Wheaties with plenty of milk or cream and some kind of fruit "Breakfast of Champions"

Collecting all the Wheaties backs with the tabs still on them is a major challenge.

jeff
Old 12-07-2016, 09:46 PM
Ken Wirt

My jagged Gehrig:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22. Lou Gehrig.jpg (78.3 KB, 259 views)

Last edited by triwak; 12-07-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:06 PM
Matthew Fritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmountainslim View Post
I got the Gomez today and LOVE it! I ordered another from you on ebay and one from a member here and one from another ebay seller I am really liking these panels.
Glad you like the Gomez. The Gehringer should be getting there soon. I used oldcardboard.com to figure out which year and series each card was. They have an example of each set.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:48 PM
Bill Potter

Quote:
Glad you like the Gomez. The Gehringer should be getting there soon. I used oldcardboard.com to figure out which year and series each card was. They have an example of each set.
Got the Gehringer today. BEAUTIFUL card/panel Thank you.
I now have examples from 1935, 1936, 1937 and 1939. Gonna try to fill in the missing years then worry bout the sets later on. Like them even more than Exhibits, I believe.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:20 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default Type 1 photo

My gehrig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9704.JPG (40.3 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9705.JPG (66.7 KB, 166 views)

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 12-13-2016 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:37 PM
Jonathan Sterling

One of my favorite Gehrig cards with a full border. I have a few vintage fronts and they look great when framed with a nice back like this one. Sorry a little glare from old school display.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20140827_23_30_42_Pro.jpg (25.4 KB, 159 views)
Old 12-14-2016, 08:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
My gehrig
Always love the photos used for cards.. very nice indeed!!
Old 12-19-2016, 03:16 PM
Den*nis O*Brien

Default Partial Box and some panels...

........that have not been shown yet. Fun to collect, all subject to cautious or reckless cutting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1212161508.jpg (74.4 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 1212161508222.jpg (48.8 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 1212161509.jpg (70.0 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 1212161509a.jpg (73.8 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161219_0001.jpg (78.1 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161219_0002.jpg (77.6 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161219_0003.jpg (77.2 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161219_0004.jpg (78.7 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161219_0005.jpg (79.0 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161219_0006.jpg (79.2 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161219_0007.jpg (77.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161219_0008.jpg (78.4 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161219_0009.jpg (78.8 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161219_0010.jpg (77.8 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161219_0011.jpg (77.1 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161219_0012.jpg (77.2 KB, 95 views)
Old 12-21-2016, 11:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Those have classic "collector" looks to them. They sport beautiful colors and character. Thanks for sharing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den*nis O*Brien View Post
........that have not been shown yet. Fun to collect, all subject to cautious or reckless cutting.