NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-15-2015, 02:33 PM

Default 1887-1889 California League Cabinet Cards

These oversized cabinet cards recently showed up on ebay. Unfortunately, they aren't the real deal but has anybody seen the originals that they would have come from? Great images that tie into the 1888 SF Hess N321's.

Rob M.

1887 G & M BBC.jpg

1887 Haverly BBC.jpg

1888 Altas BBC.jpg

1888 Oakland BBC.jpg

1888 Pioneers BBC.jpg

1888 Stockton BBC.jpg

1889 Oakland BBC.jpg

1889 San Francisco BBC.jpg

1889 Stockton BBC.jpg
Old 05-15-2015, 02:39 PM
Jeremy W.

Hey Rob- I seem to remember that someone was selling glass plate negatives of the California League teams a while back on Ebay. Seems like 5-6 months ago? I don't remember if they were the same images as the ones you posted. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:44 PM
Jeremy W.

If you do an advanced Ebay search for -Stockton baseball negative- in the completed section you'll see what I was talking about. Good luck
Old 05-15-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyW View Post
If you do an advanced Ebay search for -Stockton baseball negative- in the completed section you'll see what I was talking about. Good luck
Interesting. Thanks Jeremy. Seems to be the same cabinet card (minus the mount). Here is the Ebay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1889-STOCKTO...p2047675.l2557

Last edited by ramram; 05-15-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:55 PM

BTW, here is one of the ebay listings for these oversized cabinets:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1889-STOCKTO...vip=true&rt=nc
Old 05-15-2015, 03:01 PM
T0NY @

Since these were offered with a full money back guarantee by the seller I took a chance and purchased a handful of them being there was no risk.

Once received I reached out to another board member who had more knowledge than I in this area who confirmed they were in fact not period. Oddly enough though they did have some age to them and were not recently produced. Not 19th century, but probably were created in the 50's or 60's as a novelty. The mounts were quite old and were brittle and musty and the images themselves were on an older photographic type of paper, but re-shot in a larger format from the smaller cabinets which can be found if you Google search.

The seller has already kept his word and refunded all money due. All is good!

ps - Thanks Brian...

Last edited by 3-2-count; 05-15-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-2-count View Post
Since these were offered with a full money back guarantee by the seller I took a chance and purchased a handful of them being there was no risk.

Once received I reached out to another board member who had more knowledge than I in this area who confimred they were in fact not period. Oddly enough though they did have some age to them and were not recently produced. Not 19th century, but probably were created in the 50's or 60's as a novelty. The mounts were quite old and were brittle and musty and the images themselves were on an older photographic type of paper, but re-shot in a larger format from the smaller cabinets which can be found if you Google search.

The seller has already kept his word and refunded all money due. All is good!

ps - Thanks Brian...

lol, so you were the one that outbid me on several of them!

I picked up two of them myself. Like you, I saw that he had good feedback and a money back guarantee so I took a shot to find out what they were (and he quickly returned my money). When I received them, it was obvious that they weren't albumens but did appear to be old. I put a black light on them which showed that they were not of recent vintage. I also placed them to the mid-1900's. Since they were once part of the Wyland Stanley collection, I am guessing that Wyland took photos of the originals and had them mounted for display.

Rob M.

Last edited by ramram; 05-15-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:56 PM
T0NY @

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
lol, so you were the one that outbid me on several of them!

I picked up two of them myself. Like you, I saw that he had good feedback and a money back guarantee so I took a shot to find out what they were (and he quickly returned my money). When I received them, it was obvious that they weren't albumens but did appear to be old. I put a black light on them which showed that they were not of recent vintage. I also placed them to the mid-1900's. Since they were once part of the Wyland Stanley collection, I am guessing that Wyland took photos of the originals and had them mounted for display.

Rob M.
Yep, that was me Rob. Thankfully it all worked out for both of us.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:54 PM
Peter F

Tony, Rob glad it worked out for you guys! Peter
Old 05-18-2015, 06:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramram View Post
BTW, here is one of the ebay listings for these oversized cabinets:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1889-STOCKTO...vip=true&rt=nc
I had the cabinets bookmarked and had a conversation with a board member about them. He thought they were ok and had me convinced, given the info and the seller. I almost set snipes but didn't want to go into uncharted territory again.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:47 AM

Default California League Team Cabinet Cards

Bringing up an old thread. I recently picked up the original 1889 Oakland Colonels team cabinet card in LOTG. I think these early California League team cabinets are just fascinating. Love the players in their formal wear and their big mustaches!

Would love to see some California League cabinets! Anyone with any insight into these? How tough are they? Any board members own any?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 11-28-2016, 10:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Congrats on that pickup. Those cabinets are super rare (as well as most 19th century PCL stuff)...I imagine a few board members have others too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisguy View Post
Bringing up an old thread. I recently picked up the original 1889 Oakland Colonels team cabinet card in LOTG. I think these early California League team cabinets are just fascinating. Love the players in their formal wear and their big mustaches!

Would love to see some California League cabinets! Anyone with any insight into these? How tough are they? Any board members own any?

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 11-28-2016, 04:04 PM
Jay Cee

I have the Pioneer team cabinet. Will post scan when I get a chance to do so.