NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-13-2012, 07:28 PM

Default SGC vs PSA

Poor SGC.

A 1969 Aaron PSA 9 closed on ebay for 896.00

A couple months ago I picked up the same 1969 Aaron SGC 96 for substantially less. And my SGC has better centering. Also has razor corners/edges.

Guess the 'ol PSA set registry commands huge premiums when in PSA slab. So goes the market of supply and demand. Seen this scenario time and agian.

Gee, and the SGC slabs look soooooo much better.

Last edited by Touch'EmAll; 04-13-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:18 PM
rich

Better card in a nicer holder for substantially less? Sounds like you got a great deal.

I feel sorry for the "poor PSA" registry addict.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:38 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
I feel sorry for the "poor PSA" registry addict.
I feel sorry for the SGC card when it comes time to sell it. The value "hold" on the card might disappoint you.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:18 AM
rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I feel sorry for the SGC card when it comes time to sell it. The value "hold" on the card might disappoint you.
Are you suggesting that it's better to buy an inferior card at a higher price because of the holder it sits in?

It is true at this time, especially when dealing with post war cards, PSA sells at a higher price. Who knows what the situation will be 5, 10, 15 years down the road. Besides, I think you can actually remove the card from the case if you chose to. For me I'd take the better card at a lesser price.

If anyone wants to pay more money because it rests in a PSA holder then were going to have to agree to disagree.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:23 AM
Jeff P

Agree completely! I'll take a nicer card at a lower price any day. I also agree that for most sets, SGC looks better anyway.

jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosoxfan View Post
Are you suggesting that it's better to buy an inferior card at a higher price because of the holder it sits in?

It is true at this time, especially when dealing with post war cards, PSA sells at a higher price. Who knows what the situation will be 5, 10, 15 years down the road. Besides, I think you can actually remove the card from the case if you chose to. For me I'd take the better card at a lesser price.

If anyone wants to pay more money because it rests in a PSA holder then were going to have to agree to disagree.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:26 AM
Robert Williams

I understand the point of buying a similar graded card for lesser money. I totally get that. You can't ignore the effects of supply and demand however. If a PSA Aaron 9 sells for $900, and you bought the SGC equivalent for $600, then yes, you got a super deal. When it comes time to sell the SGC Aaron 9 though, and it only brings $400, then that is what I am speaking of. The SGC cards IMHO are like catching a falling knife. Simple supply and demand economics here.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I understand the point of buying a similar graded card for lesser money. I totally get that. You can't ignore the effects of supply and demand however. If a PSA Aaron 9 sells for $900, and you bought the SGC equivalent for $600, then yes, you got a super deal. When it comes time to sell the SGC Aaron 9 though, and it only brings $400, then that is what I am speaking of. The SGC cards IMHO are like catching a falling knife. Simple supply and demand economics here.

you got to buy the card and not the holder. why would it go less in a sgc holder if the person buying knows the likely crossover grade and could submit it to psa at any time after they buy it? It's not locked into that holder.

people will get a steal from time to time in any holder, but once enough people know of the loophole, the steal is gone.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:36 AM
Pete Sycks

In a lot of post war stuff SGC's don't bring what PSA's do as mentioned above. For instance I picked up a '53 Topps Joe Astroth (common) SGC 96 (9) for $360 and got it switched to PSA for $20 and it brought over a grand. It is crazy what people will pay for a bump on their registry.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
It is crazy what people will pay for a bump on their registry.
Stems from the same insecurity that leads a balding, paunchy man in his late 40s to buy an expensive sportscar.

I have crossed several high grade SGC cards to PSA and sold them off to registry geeks. I'll take the lower prices for superior cards every time.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-14-2012, 04:32 PM
John Michael

Where is the problem? When buying....go with SGC. Far nicer holder, far better price. When selling....carefully hammer away at holder and then submit card to the smug jerks at PSA.
Pains me to say that. Other than that stupid registery, SGC is superior in every way. Am I the only one that finds the snobbish elements in this whole registry thing absurb. I mean snob appeal for a sportscard hobby?
Old 04-15-2012, 05:25 PM
Dean C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theseeker View Post
Am I the only one that finds the snobbish elements in this whole registry thing absurd. I mean snob appeal for a sportscard hobby?
Not at all! I also think it's ridiculous. But sadly, for many collectors it's ONLY about the PSA grade. No longer does a card's eye appeal matter. But as someone who's been collecting cards long before professional grading came along, I will always prefer an ungraded card.

And besides, I've seen so much variation in PSA grades that I think the number assigned to a card is completely meaningless. I completely subscribe to the adage "Buy the card, not the holder." I gladly break all of my slabbed cards out of the holders anyway. And I can happily report that they fit much better into my set binders after they've been "emancipated."

Last edited by betafolio2; 04-15-2012 at 05:26 PM.