NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Matt Wieder

Default "Hand Cut" E95s

Right now, both Goodwin and an eBay seller are offering complete E95 sets which are in SGC 'A' cases and both describe them as "Hand Cut." Is that fancy seller language for trimmed, or do we know that sheets were around and were hand cut?
Old 07-07-2009, 06:33 PM

Do they have full printed backs? In that case, they are trimmed. The only hand cut E95's are off of the notebooks and are blank backed. Dan.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
Do they have full printed backs? In that case, they are trimmed. The only hand cut E95's are off of the notebooks and are blank backed. Dan.
Yes - both sets have fully printed backs. I thought it odd when I saw the complete set in Goodwin - a full set of trimmed caramels was strange enough; then to see another on eBay got me thinking that perhaps there is some legitimate "hand cut" way these came about, but it seems as you say, they are just lots of trimmed cards.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:06 PM

As Dan pointed out, the E95's that have the "Hand Cut" designation were examples taken from a notebook and are blank backed.

The E95's in Goodwin appear to be trimmed (albeit, beautiful examples).
Old 07-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Joe Drelich

Default Hand cut E95's

I am the seller of the complete E95 set on eBay. Just to clarify my wording was in no way meant to deceive anyone. I do not state that these came off of a sheet, nor do I believe that. In my opinion a "trimmed" card has a mostly straight clean edge. I used the term "hand-cut" because some of these cards have 1 or more wavy edges that appear to have been hand cut, perhaps with scissors or some type of a hand held blade. Anyhow just wanted to clarify my listing for everyone with any concern.

Joe D.

Last edited by NC-Vintage; 07-09-2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post

Dan- yes and no. I agree those E95s floating around with blank backs are almost certainly off notebook covers but there are other unexplained blank backed caramel cards which don't neatly fit in the category as hand cut off notebook covers, etc. I own what at first glance appears to be a hand cut E95 Chance and a hand cut E96 Kling but both have a different team designation at the bottom although using the identical picture. There is one more of these known (Davis), Gabrinus (Jerry) sold it to Keith Olberman about 10 years ago. These 3 appear to possibly be proofs of a set which was going to be released in 1913 (the team designations of Kling Boston and Chance New York and Davis Cleveland narrow this down as Kling was traded and played for the Braves in 1912, Davis was traded to Cleveland and played for the Naps in 1912 and Chance became the NY manager after the 1912 season) but apparently the plan was abandoned.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
Dan- yes and no. I agree those E95s floating around with blank backs are almost certainly off notebook covers but there are other unexplained blank backed caramel cards which don't neatly fit in the category as hand cut off notebook covers, etc. I own what at first glance appears to be a hand cut E95 Chance and a hand cut E96 Kling but both have a different team designation at the bottom although using the identical picture. There is one more of these known (Davis), Gabrinus (Jerry) sold it to Keith Olberman about 10 years ago. These 3 appear to possibly be proofs of a set which was going to be released in 1913 (the team designations of Kling Boston and Chance New York and Davis Cleveland narrow this down as Kling was traded and played for the Braves in 1912, Davis was traded to Cleveland and played for the Naps in 1912 and Chance became the NY manager after the 1912 season) but apparently the plan was abandoned.
I remember seeing this card on Pete's site. Do you have a scan you could post here? I'd love to see it again.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:00 PM
Jerry Tate

Default Davis

Let me see if I can find that scan of Davis on another computer. If I come across it I will post it. Unless Olberman is reading and wants to post it.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:54 PM

Just to clarify, I happen to know for a fact that the E95's in Goodwin's auction were "hand cut" from a sheet which is why they reflect robust color and are virtually pristine. A vintage collector cut up the sheet many years ago and fially decided to have them graded and sold in an auction. Unfortunately, he should have kept the original sheet intact....God only knows what something like that would have went for!

Regards,
Joe
Old 12-04-2016, 07:35 PM
Jerry Tate

Default E96 Davis Cleveland

After discussing with a board member about the blank back e95/E96s I tried looking again for a scan of the Davis card. Couldn't find it on any of my old computers but found a print out of the card buried under a pile of stuff. Sold back in 1999-2000 to Keith Olberman............Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg olbermandavis.jpg (75.0 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg olbermandavisback.jpg (77.9 KB, 220 views)
Old 12-05-2016, 08:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrinus View Post
After discussing with a board member about the blank back e95/E96s I tried looking again for a scan of the Davis card. Couldn't find it on any of my old computers but found a print out of the card buried under a pile of stuff. Sold back in 1999-2000 to Keith Olberman............Jerry
That reminds me of this one...

Old 12-05-2016, 10:14 AM

I think the key on the 3 cards is that unlike the E95 cards which have been found and are definitely cut from notebook covers, the particular Kling, Davis and Chance NY have never been found to have been printed on any notebook covers and the interesting thing is that the team captions identify all 3 as playing on teams different from the standard issue or notebook pictures. I still believe these cards are one of a kind proofs which were designed for a 1913 set which never came in to fruition. I know I will never sell the Chance and Kling. If you see them for sale someday, you'll know tbob has passed away to that cardboard heaven in the sky....
Old 12-05-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
That reminds me of this one...

Which is a "notebook cover Tinker."
Old 12-05-2016, 10:51 AM
Bry@n

You can see the cards from the cut up sheet referenced in post 9 by searching "e95 authentic" here:

http://goodwinandco.com/AuctionResul...x?auctionid=12
Old 12-05-2016, 11:22 AM
ErikV

Default Re: "Hand Cut" E95s

Can anyone include a link to the Goodwin and Ebay auctions?

Bryan, your link to Goodwin didn't bring anything up.

ErikV

Last edited by ErikV; 12-05-2016 at 11:23 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-05-2016, 12:15 PM
Bry@n

You have to search "e95 authentic" in that search box. The most refined link I can send for Goodwin (short of sending the links to all 25 lots one at a time) is for the specific auction where they sold - y'all have to enter the search terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikV View Post
Can anyone include a link to the Goodwin and Ebay auctions?

Bryan, your link to Goodwin didn't bring anything up.

ErikV

Last edited by Jobu; 12-05-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:24 PM
Jerry Tate

Default E95/e96

I just recently sold my last E95/E96 blank backs on ebay a couple of weeks ago and they are different than the Davis/Chance/Kling...those three have team changes like Bob said but also seem to be of thinner stock....The E95 Plank blank back I sold within the past year had "cut-out" lines and was more similar to the three cards I just mentioned.....these cards caused quite a spirited discussion on the "old old" board back in the late 90s.......Jerry
Old 12-05-2016, 04:47 PM
Jerry Tate

Default E95 Plank

Here is the Plank that I thought was more similar to the Chance/Davis/Kling.......Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e95plankbb.jpg (51.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg e95plankbbback.jpg (25.4 KB, 80 views)