NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-27-2005, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Default Will Any More Players from the Old Judge Set Ever Make It into the HOF?

Posted By: Don J

Just curious what the likelihood of any more players from the OJ set getting elected to the HOF with the rules set up the way they are currently?

Old 12-27-2005, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader

Not likely. The last Veterans Committe ballot included: Dick Allen, Bobby Bonds, Ken Boyer, Rocky Colavito, Wes Ferrell, Curt Flood, Joe Gordon, Gil Hodges, Elston Howard, Jim Kaat, Mickey Lolich, Sparky Lyle, Marty Marion, Roger Maris, Carl Mays, Minnie Minoso, Thurman Munson, Don Newcombe, Tony Oliva, Vada Pinson, Ron Santo, Luis Tiant, Joe Torre, Maury Wills, Smoky Joe Wood. None appear in OJ. Best candidates from OJ in my mind are Bobby Mathews 297-248 2.89 ERA, 40+ wins in 1 season, 30+ wins in 4 seasons; and Tony Mullane 284-220 3.05 ERA, 30+ wins in 5 seasons. Neither seem probable in view of the new tight VC rules. SR

Old 12-27-2005, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I just went in my time machine and heres when they got elected.I can only go as far as the year 3000 tho so i cant vouch for anything afterwards

Bob Caruthers 2015
Dummy Hoy and Tony Mullane 2027
Bobby Mathews and Pete Browning 2028
Jimmy Ryan 2096
George Van Haltren 2201
Lave Cross 2407

thats it.Dont tell anyone else Don,its between me and you.

Old 12-27-2005, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian H (misunderestimated)

I think the doors are pretty much shut to the OJ players... at least to the extent that they get in simply as great players. The way things look right now I don't even believe that any are elgible as players....I think the only elgible OJ subject is actually Hank O'Day who was a rather poor player and then became a stellar umpire in the early 20th century...

My personal choices for HOF inclusion from the OJ set are (in no real order)
Bob Caruthers
Deacon White
George Gore
Cupid Childs
Harry Stovey
Paul Hines
Tony Mullane & Pete Browning and maybe Ezra Sutton (based on his position).

Also a few guys had some HOF-like seasons but really weren't dominant long
enough to justify induction -- Tip O'Neill, D Orr, Corcoran, Ned Wiliamson (kind of 19th Century Roger Maris' or even Dale Murphy or Albert Belle)...Although I kind of think Belle should be in the Hall of Fame and would be along with Dick Allen if he wasn't detested by so many of the voters.

Some of the others frequently mentioned were never really much more than good relative to their peers (especially some of the Pitchers) but their Stats make it seem like they should be in... If its a given that each team only has 1 or 2 Pitchers it normally uses, the wins pile up very quickly (even in a shorter season) so if you can stick around long enough (e.g. Bobby Mathews) you put up some big totals...

Old 12-27-2005, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: t206King

Yeah, to me it looks sad with some of those players. seems like there having a hard time with players these days. i think Joe Wood, and deacon phillippe, and some other pirates players. they played better than most of the sad group they listed (Veterans commitee). and Joe Torre is still managing, so i can see there realllllly running out of players.....

Old 12-27-2005, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

John, do you think he's talking about Tommy or Larry? At least Larry stuck around for 18 seasons, he didn't let something like "death" spoil his career...

There are probably a few others that warrant a little consideration...

Old 12-27-2005, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I think you got you Corcoran's mixed up Fred,and it was Brights Disease and overwork that ruined it,death was just the next step after he retired.Im looking for a Cal Lg Corcoran card since he played in that league sometime between 1888-1890 and would be an obvious choice for a card.If he has a Cal Lg card then he should definitely be a Hall of Famer even though that reasoning makes no sense

Old 12-27-2005, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

How many OJ players who aren't in the HOF were better than McPhee? I'd say quite a few, but I have an axe to grind.

Old 12-27-2005, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 12-28-2005, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

I thought Minoso was in the N172 set. He's old enough.