NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-30-2012, 08:08 AM
Bry.an Sylv.est3r

Default Babe Ruth/Bob Feller bat and Barry Halper

I stopped by the Feller museum last week and couldn't help but notice the bat is signed by Feller to Barry Halper. Knowing Halper is good at making up stories I started to wonder if there is any truth to the story that Babe Ruth used Bob Feller's bat as a cane on that day.

Feller's teammate Eddie Robinson had the bat signed by Ruth and later sold it to Halper. The question is did Robinson grab THE bat Ruth was using after Ruth put it down and had him sign it? Or did Robinson grab A bat (Feller's) and had Ruth sign it? The bat is signed by Ruth on the back side of the barrel.

I spent a little time doing web research and have found nothing to tie the bat to Ruth other than the story by either Robinson or Halper. With Halpers well known penchant to fabricate stories regarding memorabilia you have to wonder if that really is the bat Ruth used.

Does anyone here know more about the bat or the story behind it? Is there any documentation from Eddie Robinson saying he grabbed the bat after Ruth put it down or was the story fabricated by Halper?

The Bob Feller museum purchased the bat for $95k and has turned down an offer of $600k to sell it. That is a lot of money riding on what could be another Barry Halper fabrication.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:22 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

That's more or less the story I always heard. Here's a link to a 2001 story on how the Feller Museum purchased it back.
http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...704&slug=bat04
Old 05-30-2012, 08:32 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Kinda crazy that the couple won it through a contest sponsored by Upper Deck, but were still going to be required to pay $35k in taxes.
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 05-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Dan Bretta

I stopped at that museum on the way home from Adventureland last Summer. Nice little museum.

The bat in question

the museum

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 05-30-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:35 PM
qualitycards

Dan great shots, thanks for posting them.
The large bat display is fantastic, really highlights the piece
Old 05-30-2012, 06:04 PM
M@rk Lu7z

I've seen Feller on tv making the claim that the Babe needed a bat to lean on and that he was given Feller's bat.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:47 PM
Belltown Vintage

The glove I recently picked up that was used by Feller's Dad to catch him, has a notecard signed by Feller that makes the same claim, but....there is also a Barry Halper letter to Sirsky. The Halper letter says something about Feller and him being good friends, and Feller was over one day viewing his collection. Feller told him about his Dad's glove, gave Halper a price, and Halper accepted.

A lot of the Halper stuff is legit, but I have no idea how much, or what. If I had only the Halper letter, and not the Feller, I would have to assume I had gotten ripped off. As it is, I am fairly sure Pickles would enjoy the glove if it turns out to be a fake.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Archive

I had the opportunity, albeit briefly, to work with Bob Feller in 1994 and he was aware of the bat and wanted to acquire it for the museum.

The topic came up when I ask him a question about the museum & would there be other baseball items other than his own on display at the museum.

Thats when he began talking about his bat that Ruth used as a cane.

He also told me about a baseball that he had signed in person by Ruth and Gehrig for $5....but thats another story.

Jantz
Old 05-31-2012, 07:32 AM
Bry.an Sylv.est3r

Any idea when Feller became aware of the bat? Perhaps he knew of the Ruth connection because Halper told him about it? And the problem with that is Halper told a lot of people a lot of things that were later found out not to be true.