NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-11-2015, 02:57 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Default 1923 Lections

Hi all,

I recently picked up this 1923 Lections card. I also have a Shawkey that I got from a B&L auction a while back. This got me to really looking at the Lections, and I thought that I haven't seen a good discussion on this series in the near two years I have been on the board, and that maybe we could have a current discussion about them. From the best I can understand, one school of thought is that these cards were handed out at the Albany, N.Y. fair by politicians. Parents would get a card discussing the candidates platform, and kids would get these cards. Looking at the Pop reports, I see the set has 9 cards; Babe Ruth, Rogers Hornsby, Frank Chance, Emil Meusel, Howard Ehmke, Charles Schmidt, Frank Frisch, Bob Shawkey, and Bob Meusel. So, what I am wondering, does it make sense that this series was printed in a 9 cards set, or do you think there may be another/others that have not surfaced yet; and are there any more current speculations as to how these cards were distributed? I seem to remember reading here about Jon Canfield having come into a group of these that the guy he got them from confirmed that he got them from the Albany fair, but that was a long time ago. Has anything new come to light lately? I am pretty new to the hobby, so I am no expert, but I really like these cards, and would like to know more. (I haven't received this card yet, so I am using the image from the auction)

Also, Please Show Your Cards!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (78.8 KB, 671 views)

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 12-11-2015, 05:52 PM
pete ullman

That one is in beautiful condition For a lection! I know nothing about them and I have never really cared for them...good luck in your quest!!
Old 12-11-2015, 06:43 PM

Default missing Charles Jamieson

There is one more card, Charles Jamieson of the Cleveland Indians

http://www.oldcardboard.com/o/lections/05.jpg
Old 12-11-2015, 06:47 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Pete, the purchase was more that the card was so nice at what I felt was a real good price than anything else. I am definitely not on a quest, I doubt there are many of these I can afford, and definitely can't afford the Ruth. I really just find it odd to think these were printed in sheets of nine players, unless each player was printed on it's own sheet. It seems to me that from a practicality view, they would be printed in an even number of subjects, not an odd number. If that is the case, there would be at least one more player to find. I am hoping to find out what others may think. It is nice to own the highest graded of something, though, that is unique for me. I usually can only get lower condition stuff!

Old 12-11-2015, 06:52 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Jason, thanks, that is not in the pop reports. I know a lot of these obscure issues don't get graded, they don't really need to be!

Old 12-11-2015, 08:55 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

And here's Shawkey, Anyone else care to Post?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shawkey0001.jpg (17.1 KB, 564 views)

Old 12-11-2015, 09:14 PM

Any discussion on the red and green lettering? Was red for the AL players and green for the NL players?

David
Old 12-11-2015, 09:20 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownboy View Post
Any discussion on the red and green lettering? Was red for the AL players and green for the NL players?

David
No, I believe each player had cards in red and green tint. (At least I know this was true for Ruth.)
Old 12-11-2015, 09:27 PM
Jimi

I've owned a few over the last 12 years. Too rich for my blood though. Never did own a Ruth, so that's what kind of make me give up on them awhile back. I personally really like them though. I know I'm in the minority on that, but they are one of the few '20s cards that I actually like.

Jimi
jimivintage@yahoo.com
Jimi
Old 12-12-2015, 05:47 AM
Jeff

Here's my worn out Hornsby.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1923 Lections Roger Hornsby PSA 1.jpg (78.8 KB, 528 views)

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 12-14-2015, 06:52 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

a few from the previous collection...

Old 12-14-2015, 09:14 PM
Jon Canfield

Here's some...

Old 12-14-2015, 09:38 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Thanks Leon and Jon, that is eight of the ten shown (or at least linked to the image).. Still looking for Chance and the other Meusel (Bob, who is really Emil, but the pictures are switched). Jon, did I get that right about you in my first post? Were you the one that got some of these cards from a guy that got them as a kid at the Albany fair? And Leon, thanks for posting that, which brings up another question, why do these not have the copyright symbol like that Judge's card you posted, Leon? Anyone know? Was the Judge's card the same exact size as these, like they were printed by the same company? Anyway, some things we just may never know. Anyone got the Chance or the other Meusel? I know Bob Meusel had a card sell in the same PWCC auction I got the Emil from. I couldn't get both (and Pete, I really only wanted the one, though I wouldn't mind finding the Ruth).

Old 09-18-2017, 01:42 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
That one is in beautiful condition For a lection! I know nothing about them and I have never really cared for them...good luck in your quest!!

Well Pete, I guess you were right, I did end up on a quest. Here is an update on where I am at on these cards. Oh yeah, and the link to my most recent pick-up (since some guys started another thread discussing this)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Original-Complete-Set-1923-Baseball-Lections-Cards-incl-Ruth-amp-Hornsby-/332376284392?hash=item4d632b9ce8%3Ag%3A6%7E0AAOSw8 81Ztr2k&nma=true&si=6VR9LUIfW64neSkcf6JudKvixj0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I wasn't going to say anything until they came, but here you go anyway. And Derek, don't worry, I'm not breaking them up, just working on my second set...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E Muesel002-horz.jpg (94.1 KB, 302 views)

Old 09-18-2017, 01:43 PM
pete ullman

congrats! the new lection king!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
Well Pete, I guess you were right, I did end up on a quest. Here is an update on where I am at on these cards. Oh yeah, and the link to my most recent pick-up (since some guys started another thread discussing this)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Original-Complete-Set-1923-Baseball-Lections-Cards-incl-Ruth-amp-Hornsby-/332376284392?hash=item4d632b9ce8%3Ag%3A6%7E0AAOSw8 81Ztr2k&nma=true&si=6VR9LUIfW64neSkcf6JudKvixj0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I wasn't going to say anything until they came, but here you go anyway. And Derek, don't worry, I'm not breaking them up, just working on my second set...
Old 09-18-2017, 01:59 PM
Ben North

Quote:

After being outed I hope you still receive them.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:16 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
After being outed I hope you still receive them.
Yeah, me too.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:45 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Yeah, me too.
I think you will get them and congrats!!
Old 09-18-2017, 03:27 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:

Sorry I cost you quite a few bucks! Congrats on the pick-up! In a way, I'm happy I didn't win as I certainly don't need a new project...so thank you for that! But it's an incredible lot and I'm only mildly jealous...congrats again!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 09-18-2017, 03:36 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
In a way, I'm happy I didn't win as I certainly don't need a new project...so thank you for that!
But Derek, the project was complete immediately, well, there are a few holes in it....

Leon (hi Leon), I'm not too worried about it coming, not anymore than anything else. After all, there were about 20 different bidders, it wasn't exactly a secret. Unlike the ...never mind.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:53 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
But Derek, the project was complete immediately, well, there are a few holes in it....
Haha! Very funny! Yes, there were certainly a few "holes" in the set. Are you going for any color variations for this set? That would be quite impressive...

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 09-18-2017, 05:01 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Haha! Very funny! Yes, there were certainly a few "holes" in the set. Are you going for any color variations for this set? That would be quite impressive...
No, I don't know what/if I'll go for anything else in the set. I really wanted the Babe, this is my first one, and, well, I did always tell my self my first Ruth would be unique in some way.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:04 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
No, I believe each player had cards in red and green tint. (At least I know this was true for Ruth.)
I have the green Ruth, purchased in 2007 (sorry, no scanner), in technically poor condition, but with significantly better eye appeal.

Best wishes,

Larry
Old 09-18-2017, 07:11 PM
Larry

Quote:

Leon (hi Leon), I'm not too worried about it coming, not anymore than anything else. After all, there were about 20 different bidders, it wasn't exactly a secret. Unlike the ...never mind.
Even with "the few holes in the set," a complete set would remain an immensely difficult project, IMHO.

Happy collecting,

Larry
Old 09-19-2017, 05:06 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

They are definitely interesting and unique. Thought about the Ruth one a few times but have not pulled the trigger. Firstly, they are not great looking cards. Particularly when punched with holes. Not much to look at. Secondly, these were given out at a state fair and not really cards that were collected. I know there is a fine line, but is everything anyone gave out anywhere for a few days really a worthwhile and important collectible? If someone discovers that Joe's Pizza in Hoboken New Jersey gave out a Ruth card for a weekend in 1925 during a block party, is this really a collectible baseball card? I know reasonable minds will differ and there is no right answer in what is worthwhile collecting. To me the joy of collecting Goudeys or Cracker Jacks is the idea you are collecting what people collected many years ago.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:30 AM
H Murphy

Default Lections

Always thought these were an interesting set mostly due to the story behind them. They seem to come up 2,3 times a year on ebay and even less on the A H sites which piques my interest even more. Was able to acquire a F Frisch about 4 years ago and would really like a presentable Ruth but even the lesser conditioned ones are out of my league. Congrats to the winner of the recent ebay set, great pick up !
Old 09-19-2017, 08:08 AM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I know there is a fine line, but is everything anyone gave out anywhere for a few days really a worthwhile and important collectible? If someone discovers that Joe's Pizza in Hoboken New Jersey gave out a Ruth card for a weekend in 1925 during a block party, is this really a collectible baseball card?

Can you post a pic of the Joe's Pizza Ruth?

Old 09-19-2017, 08:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Can you post a pic of the Joe's Pizza Ruth?
I want to see it too!! Here is a baseball card from my last collection that was also collected... I believe it is a 1 card set.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:21 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Joe Pizza Ruth card for my eyes only. Sorry fellas.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:39 PM

Is this a baseball card?