NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-24-2021, 06:59 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

The Packers and Vikings are so much more rare than the Twins baseball. Because of their cloth make up and they fade so easy, it’s really tough to find in that good of shape. If anyone has the Lombardi to show, this would be a great lead it to brag about rarity. Nice pennant greg
Old 01-24-2021, 07:11 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
The Packers and Vikings are so much more rare than the Twins baseball. Because of their cloth make up and they fade so easy, it’s really tough to find in that good of shape. If anyone has the Lombardi to show, this would be a great lead it to brag about rarity. Nice pennant greg
Thanks Jason ... Vince has a pennant? Didn’t know that. Gotta be the holy grail of the set ...
Old 01-25-2021, 12:04 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

They made one like this. I believe this photo is from Kyles website. Even these Twins versions are extremely difficult to find, I have only seen one Lombardi.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8DC923A2-B0E6-49F1-B0C8-1576D05B6192.jpg (9.3 KB, 253 views)
Old 01-25-2021, 12:14 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I should add that any of the player photo pennants other than Twins are extremely hard to find and there are very rare versions of the Twins players as well. Some of these player pennants are one of a kind. Some come with a B&W photo and other come with color. I have owned and sold a number of them including some of the ones Kyle shows on his web site as well as Packers, Dodgers, Reggie, Yaz, Conigliaro’s, etc. I have a Mickey Mantle and I know of Hank Aaron, I also believe the Giants one on Kyles site was a Willie Mays if I remember correctly. I like them a lot, but don’t keep photos or records like you guys do. They did some great full size photo pennants over the years too. I have had and sold many of those too. The supply seems to have dried up as many have disappeared in long term collections.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:55 PM
Rob

Quote:
I should add that any of the player photo pennants other than Twins are extremely hard to find and there are very rare versions of the Twins players as well. Some of these player pennants are one of a kind. Some come with a B&W photo and other come with color. I have owned and sold a number of them including some of the ones Kyle shows on his web site as well as Packers, Dodgers, Reggie, Yaz, Conigliaro’s, etc. I have a Mickey Mantle and I know of Hank Aaron, I also believe the Giants one on Kyles site was a Willie Mays if I remember correctly. I like them a lot, but don’t keep photos or records like you guys do. They did some great full size photo pennants over the years too. I have had and sold many of those too. The supply seems to have dried up as many have disappeared in long term collections.
Tommy Mason of the Vikings is the only non-Packer Football I've seen. Are you aware of any other Vikings or football teams?
Old 01-25-2021, 05:31 PM
Rob

Quote:
That one is mine, Jason. It may be the one and only time I was in the right place at the right time for an ebay BIN. It didn't come with a picture but I would have to think ASCO would have had Mays in mind. I've never seen another one of these pennants. The seller was from Winona.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0331.jpg (78.9 KB, 232 views)
Old 01-25-2021, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
That one is mine, Jason. It may be the one and only time I was in the right place at the right time for an ebay BIN. It didn't come with a picture but I would have to think ASCO would have had Mays in mind. I've never seen another one of these pennants. The seller was from Winona.
I’m pretty sure it was Ed Halicki
Old 01-26-2021, 01:02 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
I’m pretty sure it was Ed Halicki
You asked for it! Another piece from my low end collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-01-26 04.02.17.jpg (77.2 KB, 219 views)
Old 01-26-2021, 03:46 PM

Quote:
You asked for it! Another piece from my low end collection.
NICE!!!! Product of Monmouth University!
Old 01-29-2021, 03:05 PM

I hate to see this thread drop down the page so here’s a new addition, had never seen it before ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F5A82FF6-C523-4ED7-AE70-B8FC949D720A.jpg (20.8 KB, 194 views)
Old 01-29-2021, 04:35 PM

Top pennant is also a new addition, interesting to see the subtle differences between ‘57 (felt) and ‘58 (cloth).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 128F4BC3-B42F-49B9-9126-7178B44939F0.jpg (19.8 KB, 185 views)
Old 02-01-2021, 05:48 PM
Marc

Nice pickups, Greg. I like seeing the "I've never seen it before" pennants.

I just got this Houston mini pennant that is part of a baseball series. It was posted in this thread a few years ago when I asked a question about the larger Houston pennant (below, which I don't own) that may or may not be a Houston Astros pennant. The speculation is that there was a transition period between Colts and Astros and that some version of this star logo was used before the Astros name and/or logo was settled. Not sure if that is true or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Houston star mini.jpg (19.8 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg Astros star black.jpg (18.2 KB, 175 views)
Old 02-01-2021, 06:48 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Marc:
Do you recall if there was a consensus on the generic Houston Pennant? Did most people believe it was a transitional pennant (prior to them naming the team "Astros"?) I could definitely see that as a possibility.

On a separate topic... WTF is going on with eBay? I can't ever recall a time in which pennant listings have been more pathetic. There is absolutely nothing to get excited about. Have all the good pennants finally dried up?
Old 02-01-2021, 07:00 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Marc:
On a separate topic... WTF is going on with eBay? I can't ever recall a time in which pennant listings have been more pathetic. There is absolutely nothing to get excited about. Have all the good pennants finally dried up?
It's become a complete waste of time. My watch list has tumbleweeds. My wife even commented about me not getting packages any more. It seems like I see the same pennants recirculating every 48 hours too. I wonder if the new payment system has people listing elsewhere...or like me...not at all.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:40 PM
Marc

Yeah, ebay has been pretty much a wasteland for me lately. I was just looking through some of jonsstats pennants. Interesting stuff, but none of it for me.

Mark- about the Houston stuff, I think most of us fell in the category of pretty skeptical until there is photo proof, but someone said that these have been long viewed as Astros pennants in the hobby (by people who would have been in the know many years ago).

But, why are these pennants always red, green, black... never blue or orange?

But, then there is the hat in this 1965 spring training photo that is just a star, and more recent hats have a star with a circle (with some other stuff).

I look for Houston pennants pretty regularly. These don't show up very often. Not sure what that means exactly. I also don't seen many pennants for the city of Houston in general. They are almost always tied to a particular place in Houston.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Astros 1965 5.jpg (43.5 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg Astros.aspx.jpg (18.6 KB, 176 views)
Old 02-02-2021, 12:27 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Interesting.... 1965 spring training is exact timing that you’d expect to see that hat, if indeed the pennant is affiliated with the baseball team. 3 years as the Colt .45s, followed by potential indecision over the new name over the off-season.

You have to figure that those spring training hats were designed and manufactured at least a few months prior to 1965 Spring Training. Sure would be cool if one of those hats was ever to surface.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Sure would be cool if one of those hats was ever to surface.
Looks like the kind of hat that Ebbets Field Flannels could perhaps make if the image isn't already trademarked and/or they could get a license from MLB to do so.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Nice pickups, Greg. I like seeing the "I've never seen it before" pennants.

I just got this Houston mini pennant that is part of a baseball series. It was posted in this thread a few years ago when I asked a question about the larger Houston pennant (below, which I don't own) that may or may not be a Houston Astros pennant. The speculation is that there was a transition period between Colts and Astros and that some version of this star logo was used before the Astros name and/or logo was settled. Not sure if that is true or not.
My guess is that the larger pennant was made by the company who made the ones in Baseball Rob’s 1960s banquet picture from a few pages ago.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:30 PM
Rob

Quote:

Well, quit watching and you can be sure someone will put up the NY Giants 3D pennant, BIN for $199.

I did actually find a pin today that I’ve been after for a while.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:46 AM
Gary

Default 1940s Reds - Burger Beer Pennant

Anyone have any details about this one. I picked it up last week (I'm still waiting for it to arrive).

I found one previous listing on Mears from 2011 here: https://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/...-lot42422.aspx

My one certainly isn't mint but it's one that that I've not seen before and it didn't cost much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RedsPennant.jpg (38.6 KB, 150 views)
Old 02-03-2021, 07:42 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
Anyone have any details about this one. I picked it up last week (I'm still waiting for it to arrive).

I found one previous listing on Mears from 2011 here: https://www.mearsonlineauctions.com/...-lot42422.aspx

My one certainly isn't mint but it's one that that I've not seen before and it didn't cost much.
I love the crossover with Burger Beer. I’m from Ohio, so I remember Burgie!
Old 02-03-2021, 07:43 AM
Rob

I've had a couple of those Reds pennants. I'd say the sweet spot (depending on condition) is somewhere around $300. I've seen outliers go significantly higher and lower.

What's interesting to me...I believe mine were stiffer material, which makes it odd to see a hole in yours. Does anyone know if they made a cloth or felt version as well. Also, the spine has the tell tale narrow seams of a reproduction, though I don't think this pennant was ever reproduced. If it has, I've never seen it. If you look at Mitchell & Ness pennants they have those close together seams.

Lastly, I know sellers sometimes treat pennants like they're from another planet. They have no idea how to handle them...but why do so many sellers not take the easy step of at least flattening the pennant out so it presents better. I see pictures like this time and again.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:47 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post

Lastly, I know sellers sometimes treat pennants like they're from another planet. They have no idea how to handle them...but why do so many sellers not take the easy step of at least flattening the pennant out so it presents better. I see pictures like this time and again.
That’s when you get the deals!
Old 02-03-2021, 07:50 AM
Rob

This is what the spine has looked like on the ones I had. Out closer to the edge of the spine so there's not as much excess material on the outside of the seams.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reds Burger Beer 2.jpg (79.4 KB, 159 views)
Old 02-03-2021, 08:23 AM
Gary

Quote:
That’s when you get the deals!
+1

I look for those places where they don't know how to display them or possibly describe them incorrectly. It's how bargains are found.

I picked this up for $37 so I might have gotten a bargain. I'll post better photos when I get it and can make a better assessment.

Any idea who made them?
Old 02-03-2021, 11:21 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
This is what the spine has looked like on the ones I had. Out closer to the edge of the spine so there's not as much excess material on the outside of the seams.
Mine looks like Rob's. Great buy on the first one, despite the odd spine and condition issues. I have never seen a cloth version... only felt.
Old 02-03-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Mine looks like Rob's. Great buy on the first one, despite the odd spine and condition issues. I have never seen a cloth version... only felt.
Looks to me that the pennant body is original but maybe - just a guess based on the pic - the spine was added later, perhaps as a repair. There’s a pretty big difference in the space between spine and graphics in the two pennants. Cool pennant either way.

The Reds sure had some weird pennants around this time. I just picked up an oversized 1961 pic pennant for some dumb reason, it’s ugly and weird shaped and really strange. Went straight to a tub. I’ll post a pic when I get home.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:43 PM
Marc

Thanks, Kyle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1958 Giants Dodgers from Kyle.jpg (79.2 KB, 153 views)
Old 02-03-2021, 12:55 PM
Rob

Quote:
Thanks, Kyle
Kyle is a very talented guy!
Old 02-03-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Kyle is a very talented guy!
Co-signed!
Old 02-03-2021, 02:09 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Nice work, Kyle.... Beautiful!
Old 02-03-2021, 04:37 PM

Cool two-sided Boston/Milw Braves pennant sold on eBay today, I have both sides as separate pennants but that the first two-sided I’ve seen. Here’s what’s interesting. The spine is on the Milwaukee side. I have the two-sided Colt 45s (presumably AdFlag) and I’ve seen a two sided Browns/Orioles. Both of them have the spine on the “new team” side. I would think it would be the other way around, wouldn’t you? As if they had existing “old” pennants and didn’t want to toss them. Another pennant mystery!
Old 02-03-2021, 06:31 PM
Rob

Quote:
Cool two-sided Boston/Milw Braves pennant sold on eBay today, I have both sides as separate pennants but that the first two-sided I’ve seen. Here’s what’s interesting. The spine is on the Milwaukee side. I have the two-sided Colt 45s (presumably AdFlag) and I’ve seen a two sided Browns/Orioles. Both of them have the spine on the “new team” side. I would think it would be the other way around, wouldn’t you? As if they had existing “old” pennants and didn’t want to toss them. Another pennant mystery!
You would think that!
Old 02-03-2021, 08:46 PM
Rob

I’m pretty sure Mark and I share the same disdain for third party authenticators. How long until PSA starts slabbing pennants?
Old 02-04-2021, 06:52 AM
Marc

Quote:
I've seen the Astros/Colt 45s and wondered the same thing. I guess this raises the question of when the spine was added, in the process. If it was the very last thing, maybe they had pennants without spines (yet). Or, maybe they just thought that the two-sided pennant would appeal to fans who weren't yet ready to let go of the old name.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I've seen the Astros/Colt 45s and wondered the same thing. I guess this raises the question of when the spine was added, in the process. If it was the very last thing, maybe they had pennants without spines (yet). Or, maybe they just thought that the two-sided pennant would appeal to fans who weren't yet ready to let go of the old name.

That's correct, good point. Spines are definitely sewn on last. So either of your theories are likely the explanation.

I must confess: when making my own pennants, I've messed up more than a few and considered re-printing them on the reverse, just to save felt. The problem is, on certain types of modern-day felt, which is made from polyester (not wool), the ink runs through the pennant to the reverse side. So, you don't always have a blank canvass to work with when flipped over.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:17 PM
Marc

Kyle (or anyone else): when they made silkscreened pennants, was the felt cut and then the silkscreened (i.e., they were applying paint to a triangle)? or was the silkscreen applied to something like a large rectangle sheet that was then cut into triangles? (i.e., like a sheet of baseball cards).
Old 02-04-2021, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Kyle (or anyone else): when they made silkscreened pennants, was the felt cut and then the silkscreened (i.e., they were applying paint to a triangle)? or was the silkscreen applied to something like a large rectangle sheet that was then cut into triangles? (i.e., like a sheet of baseball cards).
Good question. I believe the latter. This is a much more efficient method because you can print multiple pennants at a time with one screen, which will use less ink. It's also much easier to cut the pennants out, because you do so in a way that minimizes superfluous cutting; and avoids wasted scraps.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:45 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Based on all the ridiculous cuts I have seen over the years, I agree with Kyle. Depending on how it was made, cut either with a machine or hand cut. If some were made on a large square or rectangle sheet, this would also account for the factory blunt cut tips that are seen from time to time.
Old 02-05-2021, 12:56 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
I’m pretty sure Mark and I share the same disdain for third party authenticators. How long until PSA starts slabbing pennants?
100% correct assumption! Hopefully the answer is either never or not in our lifetime.

But I wouldn't put it past them. Especially with the new ownership team that's coming soon. New owners are always looking to grow their business by thinking "outside the box".

PSA already authenticates cards, silks, photos, tickets, pins, autographs, bats, gloves, and probably other items that don't immediately come to mind. I even saw recently that they slabbed/graded a cut-out of Mickey Mantle's image from the top of a 1968 Topps Posters Display Box.

I doubt that they'd actually slab a pennant, but who knows? I think that if/when they delve into pennants, it would be their dumb numbered sticker on the back side, accompanied by a Letter of Authenticity (with matching ID).

Of course if you have even the most elementary knowledge about pennants, this is all totally unnecessary (and a complete waste of money).
Old 02-06-2021, 03:05 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Well I might be wrong about PSA eventually slabbing pennants. Just saw that they're actually doing this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg funko.jpg (63.9 KB, 120 views)
Old 02-06-2021, 03:30 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
100% correct assumption! Hopefully the answer is either never or not in our lifetime.

But I wouldn't put it past them. Especially with the new ownership team that's coming soon. New owners are always looking to grow their business by thinking "outside the box".

PSA already authenticates cards, silks, photos, tickets, pins, autographs, bats, gloves, and probably other items that don't immediately come to mind. I even saw recently that they slabbed/graded a cut-out of Mickey Mantle's image from the top of a 1968 Topps Posters Display Box.

I doubt that they'd actually slab a pennant, but who knows? I think that if/when they delve into pennants, it would be their dumb numbered sticker on the back side, accompanied by a Letter of Authenticity (with matching ID).

Of course if you have even the most elementary knowledge about pennants, this is all totally unnecessary (and a complete waste of money).
Probably the only thing preventing them from slabbing pennants is the sheer size of the slab needed. Can you imagine one of the oversized pennants being incased with a label at one end? But I have no doubt they would do it if someone was willing to pay. After all, it’s all about money and absolutely nothing about authenticity or grades.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 02-06-2021, 05:02 PM

I think because it is too hard to pin down a production date, slabbing wouldn’t be feasible. Like there’s that white on brown STL Browns pennant with the brownie ... you see it on eBay every now and then usually advertised as original, but it is without question 1970s stock. Repro? But there wasn’t a pennant ever that looked like this. .... Also as someone wrote earlier there is plenty of variability in size, if they would treat this like off centered cards then they could go jump in a lake.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:04 PM

One thing is for sure, there will never be a slabbed pennant on the wood paneling. NEVER!
Old 02-06-2021, 09:20 PM
Rob

Quote:
I think because it is too hard to pin down a production date, slabbing wouldn’t be feasible. Like there’s that white on brown STL Browns pennant with the brownie ... you see it on eBay every now and then usually advertised as original, but it is without question 1970s stock. Repro? But there wasn’t a pennant ever that looked like this. .... Also as someone wrote earlier there is plenty of variability in size, if they would treat this like off centered cards then they could go jump in a lake.
They would have the “experts” and their opinions would be unassailable!
Old 02-07-2021, 08:39 AM

It still would be debatable as far as whether it would be worth their while to get into pennants. The slabbing of cards created scarcity from plenty. There are (relatively) lots of 1952 Mantles around but the Gem Mint 10 Mantles is a desirable category created out of thin air. With pennants - particularly the ones that approach or exceed four figures - there already is scarcity.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:36 AM

Here’s the Reds pennant I mentioned earlier. Not sure why I got this. Weird dimensions. I’ve seen this before with the date by the tip. I seem to recall this discussed here a long time ago?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 085C668D-4163-4E7B-8AEC-98C665F073F3.jpg (20.2 KB, 102 views)
Old 02-07-2021, 12:05 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

If PSA got into slabbing pennants, can you imagine the number of trimmed/altered and repro pennants that would make their way into their holders? It would be really ugly as well as serving no purpose to the collector.

Greg... Does that oddball Reds Pennant fit into a standard pennant sleeve?
Old 02-07-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
If PSA got into slabbing pennants, can you imagine the number of trimmed/altered and repro pennants that would make their way into their holders? It would be really ugly as well as serving no purpose to the collector.

Greg... Does that oddball Reds Pennant fit into a standard pennant sleeve?
Nope ... it is 17” wide and 35” long. Here’s a pic with a rigid holder on top of it, tip to tip. Even typical oversized pennants are still proportional as far as H/W. This one would have looked better if it was 14-15” wide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8D6C9AC6-ACCC-408B-A82C-F0DEC4C3F121.jpg (19.6 KB, 89 views)
Old 02-07-2021, 03:41 PM
Rob

Quote:
PSA would have to hold a job fair in this thread. Most people don't know a pennant from a peanut. There is honestly no chance that they'd be a better authority than the crew posting here.