NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-09-2019, 01:37 PM
Marc

Interesting that the Houston mini pennant is the only one that lists a city without a team name (and has a star).

Fballguy makes a good point about the star with circle being a common symbol/sign in Texas. I guess the question is whether the Astros appropriated that symbol during their first year and someone put it on a pennant. The star does seem to match the hat, but I've never seen an Astros item with the star and a circle. The hat came with both an white star version and an orange hat version (to match that mini pennant).
Old 02-09-2019, 05:02 PM
chris

This is a subject that's always interested me and here's one that I believe to be a Reds pennant for obvious reasons, even though I have no way of proving it at this point...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190113_110826.jpg (12.4 KB, 332 views)
Old 02-09-2019, 08:52 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

If I remember correctly it has something to do with them not having a logo early and used these more generic items for promotion. I may be completely wrong, but for some reason that sticks out in my memory.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:58 PM
Rob

Even though I wouldn't touch D**gers stuff with a 10 foot pole, I was watching this. It went for $168.50. I wonder if it's related to my Giants photo pennant? Mine is full size; not sure about the D**gers version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (28.0 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0331.jpg (79.1 KB, 286 views)
Old 02-12-2019, 08:03 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Dodgers version is smaller. They came from a series sold here in Minnesota and was part of the same group that includes a lot of the Twins ones from the 60’s. I have a Mickey Mantle and there is a Reggie Jackson. Both are very rare. The Dodgers and Twins are a little more common with the Twins being the most common. There are some very rare North Stars and Packers versions as well.

Your San Fran pennant is very rare. I have never seen it before.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:26 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Dodgers version is smaller. They came from a series sold here in Minnesota and was part of the same group that includes a lot of the Twins ones from the 60’s. I have a Mickey Mantle and there is a Reggie Jackson. Both are very rare. The Dodgers and Twins are a little more common with the Twins being the most common. There are some very rare North Stars and Packers versions as well.

I had never seen it before, either. The guy I got it from said he found it in a shed in Winona, MN.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:23 PM
Rob

Quote:

There are Vikings too. A Tommy Mason pennant sold for over $1,300 on Ebay about a year ago.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:27 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I had never seen it before, either. The guy I got it from said he found it in a shed in Winona, MN.
Winona is where they were made.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:29 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
There are Vikings too. A Tommy Mason pennant sold for over $1,300 on Ebay about a year ago.
There are more than what I listed, but they are few and far between. Many I would say are one of a kind. I buy and sell pennants in Minnesota and I consider most to be very rare.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:53 PM

Default ASCO, Inc.

Quote:
Even though I wouldn't touch D**gers stuff with a 10 foot pole, I was watching this. It went for $168.50. I wonder if it's related to my Giants photo pennant? Mine is full size; not sure about the D**gers version.
Rob: I'm glad I didn't lose out on that Koufax pennant to a Giant fan so, thanks for staying away

Both your photo-less Giants pennant and the Koufax photo pennant were made by ASCO, located in Winona, MN.

Allow me to piggy back on Duluth Eskimo's earlier comments, which I completely agree with: ASCO began making pennants when the Senators moved to Minnesota to become the Twins, around 1960. They spent most of the decade focusing on Minnesota teams; however, they did make some Dodger pennants because the Twins played the Dodgers in the '65 series, and I suppose they knew there'd be some demand for these products from visiting fans.

ASCO didn't invent the photo pennant; but, they may deserve credit for first modifying the typical team photo that Trench and others were offering into the individual player layout.

These individual player photo pennants are highly collectible and rare. The problem is ASCO did not seem to affix the photos to the felt as well as Trench. Consequently, many of their photo pennants are, today, sans photo. Which sucks because without the original photo, it's hard to say what these are worth.

Anyway, I plan to write a piece on ASCO in the coming weeks for those that care to learn more about their story, products, and their contributions to the hobby.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:47 AM
Rob

Looking forward to it, Domer!! ^^^

My Giants example was one of the few times I've been in the right place at the right time. I got it BIN for $70, shortly after it was posted. I have a "frenemy" who would have snagged it for sure, had he seen it first. Maybe it's a pipe dream, but I almost think mine could be a never mass produced prototype. Here's a pic of it, re-imagined with a Mays photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0332.jpg (72.5 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by ooo-ribay; 02-19-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:14 PM
Marc

Default Astros pennant

Happy to add the top Astros batter pennant, which appears to be a knock off of the typical batter pennant (pictured below it). That "typical" batter played for the Astros, Colt 45s, and the Giants (and other teams too). This new one is much thinner, rather fragile, and is somewhat transparent when held up to the light.

The seller had a number of what I believe to be difficult to find pennants from this era including the Phillies pennant pictured below (bought by someone else).

Curious to hear if anyone has info about this series. And if there might be an SF Giants pennant that goes with the series (Oooribay?).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Astros batters.jpg (81.2 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg Astros transparent.jpg (77.1 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg Phillies.jpg (88.1 KB, 195 views)
Old 02-19-2019, 05:30 PM
Rob

I’ve never seen a Giants with that variation of the LH batter.

Get the iron for those Phillies tassels! Dirty but cool pennant.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:32 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Nice score on the Astros Pennant. I've never seen that particular version of the Batter either.

I've seen the Phillies, but only 3-4 times in 25+ years of collecting this stuff. Both are super rare and unique. Congrats!

Last edited by perezfan; 02-19-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:28 PM
Marc

Thanks, guys. Just to be clear, I didn't buy the Phillies pennant, although I thought about it. It looked so puritanical. My kids would probably have been scared of it.

I've attached pics of the Cardinals (sold to not me) and Reds (still for sale as I write this) pennants. Not sure if these are all from the same series or not. Some have tassles, some don't. They all seem to be made of the same very thin (with strings) fabric.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reds pennant.jpg (89.4 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg Cardinals.jpg (87.9 KB, 188 views)
Old 02-19-2019, 10:19 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

A question for either of the Robs...

Regarding that Reds Pennant pictured above... Do you think it would bleach successfully? I know the white cloth felt is a good medium for bleach, but seem to recall hearing problems with red paint bleeding on to the white felt.

Would love to grab that Reds pennant, but only if it would clean up ok.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2019, 04:49 AM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Mark, I successfully cleaned up this 1961 picture pennant, the pic was taken from an angle to avoid glare. The letters are red felt, though. I did the same to a ‘64 pennant, with red screen-paint ... with less success, but still, it didn’t run.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:49 AM

Pic:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61512513-D179-43B0-8C11-EA2CF0D56617.jpg (18.8 KB, 169 views)
Old 02-20-2019, 06:55 AM
Rob

Mark...We're sharing a brain. I studied it last night after I read Marc's post. I think with a gradual approach using diluted bleach it would be ok. Maybe start 60/40 water to bleach mix and see how it responds.

The price was a little higher than I wanted to spend on an experiment. Thought of sending him a message to see if he'd take $50...but ultimately decided to pass. I think it would turn out great. Make friends with the guy and see if he'll come down some.

Let me know what you decide...I'm bored and want to experiment so I may take a flier if you don't. But I'm not a "baseball guy" per se....so rather it go to someone who is.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:25 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

OK... I did it. $50 was my top limit as well, and I shot him an offer (even though he has no Best Offer option listed). I'm probably not as good at bleaching as you, Rob, Rob and Greg.... but will try the 60/40 mixture, assuming he accepts the $50. I'll post "before and after" pics, if so. If he rejects it, I'll walk away from it, and not negotiate any further.

Rob... If your boredom continues, and you want an "experiment" to take on, there are a couple more Reds Pennants that appear very bleachable and are well below market value...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-1961-...!-1:rk:76:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-196...Ni6:rk:94:pf:0
Old 02-20-2019, 02:40 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Seller was a nice guy, and accepted the $50. Should be a fun experiment, and I'll post the "before and after" results once I have it in-hand.

There's some blue stuff on the white felt that scares me a bit.

Last edited by perezfan; 02-20-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:27 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
A question for either of the Robs...

Regarding that Reds Pennant pictured above... Do you think it would bleach successfully? I know the white cloth felt is a good medium for bleach, but seem to recall hearing problems with red paint bleeding on to the white felt.

Would love to grab that Reds pennant, but only if it would clean up ok.

Thanks!
I don't want to talk you out of it, but I ruined this one. My only failure to date. The red batter? He's now a pink blur. What makes me mad is that it wasn't all that bad to begin with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2746.jpg (76.0 KB, 188 views)
Old 02-20-2019, 10:18 PM
Rob

Quote:
Seller was a nice guy, and accepted the $50. Should be a fun experiment, and I'll post the "before and after" results once I have it in-hand.

There's some blue stuff on the white felt that scares me a bit.
Congrats Mark! Glad you got it. Will be a fun experiment. A few tips...

I'd attack this one from the back. Hang the pennant vertically, face down so you're spraying the back of the pennant. I lean the bottom of a shallow, plastic storage bin against the wall and tape the pennant inside with painters tape so it's hanging down inside the bin. That way any excess water/bleach runs off. Then I'd mist the back of the pennant using a spray bottle. Don't saturate. Do a little at a time until it starts to soak through...checking the results periodically. I'd give it a good misting then let it sit for 5 minute before turning it around and checking the results. It will get whiter over time. It's not always instantaneous. Once you get a feel for the color fastness of the red paint, you can increase as needed. Don't be in a hurry. Be patient.

If the blue is stubborn, I'd probably hit that directly from the front. You can use an old, rigid pennant holder (I'm sure you have one laying around ) to create a barrier between the stained area of the pennant and the graphics. Then you can spray liberally without worrying about hitting the paint directly. Imagine a clear, plastic wall between where you are spraying and the graphics.

In case of emergency...

I'd also have a second spray bottle with straight water. If you notice the red is running, the race is on. You have to throw caution to the wind at this point and hit the running area with water...saturate the bleeding area (use a stream so you can focus on your target area more precisely) to get that excess red paint to run completely off the pennant. It will run off without staining...and if you're using just water, the bleeding should stop. Just keep hitting with water until you see no more bleeding and all of the red run off has been washed away.

The disclaimer...

See Rob's post above. There's always the chance you may be screwed.

Good luck!

Last edited by Fballguy; 02-20-2019 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:33 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Congrats Mark! Glad you got it. Will be a fun experiment. A few tips...

I'd attack this one from the back. Hang the pennant vertically, face down so you're spraying the back of the pennant. I lean the bottom of a shallow, plastic storage bin against the wall and tape the pennant inside with painters tape so it's hanging down inside the bin. That way any excess water/bleach runs off. Then I'd mist the back of the pennant using a spray bottle. Don't saturate. Do a little at a time until it starts to soak through...checking the results periodically. I'd give it a good misting then let it sit for 5 minute before turning it around and checking the results. It will get whiter over time. It's not always instantaneous. Once you get a feel for the color fastness of the red paint, you can increase as needed. Don't be in a hurry. Be patient.

If the blue is stubborn, I'd probably hit that directly from the front. You can use an old, rigid pennant holder (I'm sure you have one laying around ) to create a barrier between the stained area of the pennant and the graphics. Then you can spray liberally without worrying about hitting the paint directly. Imagine a clear, plastic wall between where you are spraying and the graphics.

In case of emergency...

I'd also have a second spray bottle with straight water. If you notice the red is running, the race is on. You have to throw caution to the wind at this point and hit the running area with water...saturate the bleeding area (use a stream so you can focus on your target area more precisely) to get that excess red paint to run completely off the pennant. It will run off without staining...and if you're using just water, the bleeding should stop. Just keep hitting with water until you see no more bleeding and all of the red run off has been washed away.

The disclaimer...

See Rob's post above. There's always the chance you may be screwed.

Good luck!
Well thanks for the pep talk and good advice. I feel like Sly Stallone to your Burgess Meredith. It's gonna be a knock down-drag out fight...

I'm going for it like Rocky did against Apollo Creed, with spray bottles in each hand. And if the "bleeding" becomes too much, I will use pure water to halt the fight. I do not see it going 15 rounds, and do not predict a knockout either way. Odds are, it will be a split decision, with the pennant emerging a bit better, but not perfect.

I'm nervous and punch drunk, but my OCD won't let me live with that pennant, bruised and beaten as it currently is. And even if I go down for the count, I've only been sucker-punched for $55 bucks! It could be an epic bout.

I sure hope nobody reads this... might be my worst post ever

Last edited by perezfan; 02-21-2019 at 02:02 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:17 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

In all seriousness... that red paint scares me, as the color looks exactly the same as the failed Giants Pennant... same type of dull brick red.

Rob-

Regarding your advice, I do have a question... I was going to tape off the red spine, as I don't want the bleach to "whiten" the red strip. But if I were to spray on the bleach from behind, wouldn't it infiltrate through from the back, and cause the red spine to fade?

I suppose I could tape it off vertically on the back side as well, but seems like that would create a tell-tale line. Just want to be sure I'm clear on how to handle this part.

Thanks for any clarification you can provide!

Last edited by perezfan; 02-21-2019 at 02:19 AM.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:37 AM
Rob

Quote:
Well thanks for the pep talk and good advice. I feel like Sly Stallone to your Burgess Meredith. It's gonna be a knock down-drag out fight...

I'm going for it like Rocky did against Apollo Creed, with spray bottles in each hand. And if the "bleeding" becomes too much, I will use pure water to halt the fight. I do not see it going 15 rounds, and do not predict a knockout either way. Odds are, it will be a split decision, with the pennant emerging a bit better, but not perfect.

I'm nervous and punch drunk, but my OCD won't let me live with that pennant, bruised and beaten as it currently is. And even if I go down for the count, I've only been sucker-punched for $55 bucks! It could be an epic bout.

I sure hope nobody reads this... might be my worst post ever
Also, might be a good idea to warm up by beating your meat (like Rocky) for at least 15 minutes before the battle. And remember “women weaken pennants!”
Old 02-21-2019, 09:06 AM
Rob

You’ve got a couple of options regarding the spine area. If you’re taping the pennant to hang it, you’re going to have to address that area separately regardless because some part of that area will be protected under tape.

1) The best option in my opinion is to remove the spine and once done with the bleaching process, take it to a tailor or seamstress to have it put back on. Should cost about $10. They can even line up the stitching in the existing holes so you can’t tell it was removed.

or

2) Protect the spine with tape for the spraying process. Then once pennant has dried, lay it on a table or bench and gently hand paint the area from behind with your mixture, being careful not to soak through. I’ve done it with a Q-Tip. Tedious but works. The trick is to only apply enough to address the surface and not soak through.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:29 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

You are the undisputed "Rembrandt" of Pennant restoration.

I'm seeing stains in tones of grey, brown, red and blue all on this pennant, so it will be an excellent test of the bleaching process. Since it's a whopping $55 investment, I'm gonna fight this one solo (no seamstress).

Many thanks, and I'll stop posting now, as I'm sure we've bored most people to death with this bleach banter. Next post will be the "before and after" results.

Last edited by perezfan; 02-21-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:43 AM
Rob

Here you go Mark...Thought you might want to train with Butkus before the main event.

image host

Good luck! Like Louis CK...I'll be pulling for ya!
Old 02-21-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
You are the undisputed "Rembrandt" of Pennant restoration.

I'm seeing stains in tones of grey, brown, red and blue all on this pennant, so it will be an excellent test of the bleaching process. Since it's a whopping $55 investment, I'm gonna fight this one solo (no seamstress).

Many thanks, and I'll stop posting now, as I'm sure we've bored most people to death with this bleach banter. Next post will be the "before and after" results.
Are you kidding? When I wake up, I immediately check my email and then "Hey pennant guys" … I am the exact opposite of bored by this discussion! I look forward to you posting the results and hope for the best.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:19 PM
Rob

Inspiration:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-09-15 00.19.48.jpg (80.4 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0325.jpg (80.9 KB, 306 views)
Old 02-21-2019, 04:29 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Wow Rob... Amazing results on that one. Might be even whiter than it was originally. I'd feel more confident if those graphics were red, but will keep the faith!
Old 02-23-2019, 04:10 PM

Default New content just posted: WGN Flag & Decorating Co.

I have been working hard on my Pennant Fever BLOG, and I am happy to report that I just posted some new content. This time we're taking a look at WGN Flag & Decorating Co. of Chicago, IL. This post is full of observations, commentary, pictures, interviews, and even anecdotes. I think you'll enjoy reading it.

So when you're all through bleaching your stained pennants, wash your hands and do check it out: https://pennantfever.weebly.com/ .

Finally, I want to thank Rob G. of feltfootball.com and Matt Z. (pennantdynasty) for allowing me to use pictures from their sites for use in this and prior posts of mine.

Enjoy!

KB
Old 02-23-2019, 09:01 PM
Rob

I really enjoyed your write up on WGN pennants, Kyle. I was also amazed by the craftsmanship shown on your companion blog, pennantfactory.

I was happy to learn the maker of three Giants pennants I own. These pennants have always "bugged" me and, in a way, they still do. Why......?

I began collecting in 1993, finding most of my stuff through SCD. I started with ebay in 1998. In the first 5-7 years of collecting, I had never seen any of the Giants WGN pennants. Then, all of the sudden, they showed up regularly on ebay and always seemed to be in perfect shape. It has never made sense to me that these 40 year old (at the time) pennants always seemed to be pristine in both color and condition. "Warehouse find"? For what it's worth, the polychromatic version with 1958 seems to be the most common. I wonder if the two dated examples could be knockoffs of the other one, especially since your research puts these pennants in the mid-to-late 1960's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2718.jpg (76.1 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2719.jpg (78.8 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2717.jpg (76.8 KB, 258 views)
Old 02-23-2019, 11:12 PM

Rob: Glad you enjoyed it

So, my impression of WGN was that, outside of Chicago teams, they did not really make MLB pennants until the mid to late 1960s. They made a few Cubs and White Sox pennants before then, but ... I wasn't aware of any dated pennants from non-local teams as early as 1958. Good find!

Most of the non-local MLB pennants I showed in my post appeared to be from the latter half of the 1960s. Note that the Cardinals one features a "Busch Memorial Stadium" (1966+) and the Braves one features the Atlanta Braves (1966+). The '64 Yankees one was the earliest dated one I could find for a non-Chicago team. I just assumed they all were made within a 4-5 year window.

Apparently not. I guess they adopted this style in the late 1950s and continued using it throughout the 60s..?

The Cincinnati Redlegs "Big Red Machine" one was a bit puzzling. The earliest reference to "Big Red Machine" I could find seems to have come in 1969; however, most historians would consider this team's reign to have spanned the 1970-79 range. By 1969, however, MLB had cracked down on unlicensed novelties, so I can't imagine WGN made this as late as 1970 or thereafter, but who knows....

The other interesting thing is that I didn't think the Reds were still using the name "Redlegs" by the late 1960s or 70s. Perhaps they used "Redlegs" over "Reds" to skirt copyright laws that MLB had begun enforcing? I am curious as to PerezFan's take on this.

Finally, you make an interesting point about the above-average condition these WGN pennants are consistently found in. I thought the same as you: that these were primarily unsold stock found in a warehouse recently. But, I'm starting to think they were just really well made.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:51 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Rob,
I can’t speak to the others, but the dated 1958 pennant was part of a large pennant find from a California antique dealer. I bought many of the one offs from this dealer along with quite a few of the 1958 version. This “find” also included many Rose Bowl pennants that you see around from the same era. I found that the bottom one is the most difficult for me to run across. BTW, there were also some matching dated Dodgers ones in this find as well. In regards to condition, they were all unsold stock from back in the day and NrMt condition.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:54 PM
Belltown Vintage

No baseball, but here is a recent pick-up for the Fighting Irish fans, from when they could beat Clemson:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pennant-Notre Dame.jpg (81.8 KB, 245 views)

Last edited by Runscott; 02-24-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:23 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I rarely post any "pick ups" as most of the items I buy these days are for resale. Recently though, I came across two that I couldn't live without.

1. Early University of Minnesota Gophers baseball pennant. I have seen many other schools, but never the Gophers. This will fit perfectly with my collection of early Gophers baseball uniforms.

2. New York Yankees "Made in China" bedazzled pennant. I have seen this pennant before, but did not have it in my Yankees collection. This one is NrMt and I couldn't pass it up. For those who could have bid against me on it, thanks for not doing it.

I don't get the opportunity to add to my Yankees collection often as I am up against some big hitters in the pennant hobby. I was very happy to add these two.

Ok, back to bleaching before and afters. Jason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2511.jpg (75.6 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2512.jpg (80.2 KB, 233 views)
Old 02-24-2019, 10:50 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Awesome pickups, Jason! Love them both.... Had the Yankee Pennant many years ago, and it's one of those I truly regret parting with.

The Minnesota Pennant is a stunner. I know it's from the teens... Is it oversized? Two GREAT pickups!
Old 02-25-2019, 02:35 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post

The Cincinnati Redlegs "Big Red Machine" one was a bit puzzling. The earliest reference to "Big Red Machine" I could find seems to have come in 1969; however, most historians would consider this team's reign to have spanned the 1970-79 range. By 1969, however, MLB had cracked down on unlicensed novelties, so I can't imagine WGN made this as late as 1970 or thereafter, but who knows....

The other interesting thing is that I didn't think the Reds were still using the name "Redlegs" by the late 1960s or 70s. Perhaps they used "Redlegs" over "Reds" to skirt copyright laws that MLB had begun enforcing? I am curious as to PerezFan's take on this.
Great read Kyle! Surprised to learn it was WGN making one of my favorite football styles...The DayGlo football player surrounded by smaller players in stars. I love that one. Seems they made a lot more college pennants in that style than pro. I rarely come across a pro team but a new college version will show up every few months. And not just midwest schools. Army, Navy, Syracuse, Kentucky have all turned up recently.

I was wondering about that Redlegs pennant too. It's an oddity. Big Red Machine became popular in the 1970s. Not sure why they made the Redlegs version because there is a much more common version of that pennant that says Reds.

Anyone have any insight?
Old 02-25-2019, 02:38 PM
Rob

Quote:
Rob,
I can’t speak to the others, but the dated 1958 pennant was part of a large pennant find from a California antique dealer. I bought many of the one offs from this dealer along with quite a few of the 1958 version. This “find” also included many Rose Bowl pennants that you see around from the same era. I found that the bottom one is the most difficult for me to run across. BTW, there were also some matching dated Dodgers ones in this find as well. In regards to condition, they were all unsold stock from back in the day and NrMt condition.
Great info, Jason. Of the three I posted, the black one is the stiffest (you can see the shiny polyester strands from the back) and has the Day-Glo paint Kyle referenced. I think that one was definitely done by WGN. I think the other (softer felt) ones may have been reproduced by someone else and dated, after the fact. Make sense?
Old 02-25-2019, 02:45 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Great info, Jason. Of the three I posted, the black one is the stiffest (you can see the shiny polyester strands from the back) and has the Day-Glo paint Kyle referenced. I think that one was definitely done by WGN. I think the other (softer felt) ones may have been reproduced by someone else and dated, after the fact. Make sense?
I understand, but I think the dated Giants version is actually from 1958. Generally speaking (I have purchased a number of old stock pennant deals) many of these pennants that are year specific or team specific to an event, rarely sell through leaving extras they are unable to sell. Years later we appreciate it, but at the time it’s dead stock.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:29 PM

I always thought these WGN pennants were Ad Flags .... I personally have my doubts about the 1950 ASG pennant, it doesn’t look like a match in style ... is there another reason to believe it is from that maker?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8CB3BE5D-1A87-4E01-9E07-79CD03CB919F.jpg (21.5 KB, 218 views)
Old 02-25-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
I always thought these WGN pennants were Ad Flags .... I personally have my doubts about the 1950 ASG pennant, it doesn’t look like a match in style ... is there another reason to believe it is from that maker?
Greg: Your point is well taken. I too considered this to be by ADFLAG. And, of the several dozen pennants I used in my WGN post, this '50 ASG pennant was one I was on the fence over.

Here's my rationale for WGN:

(1) Colors. WGN seemed to embrace the transition to two-color and even polychrome graphics well in advance of ADFLAG. The Notre Dame pennants I showcased illustrate this transition, and I can confirm that this transition took place around 1950.

(2) Artwork. I covered this earlier in my AFLAG post, but this Comiskey Park graphic was used by both ADFLAG and WGN; however, when ADFLAG used it, they hid their "ADFLAG" name in the drawing, whereas WGN never did this. This Comiskey Park rendition lacks any such mark.

(3) Stars. WGN's art department was obsessed with stars! Here, we have baseball players silhouetted by a star, much like WGN's football design that Rob G. (and I) admire so much. I can't say that ADFLAG's art department shared this affinity for stars.

(4) Special event pennants. Finally, and this was the deal breaker for me, WGN was consistently big on special events, and this continued throughout the 1950s, 60s, and 70s. And an All-star game being played in their backyard would qualify as such an event. Nine years later, when the '59 World Series came to Chicago, WGN made pennants for both the hometown Sox and the visiting Dodgers. This trend continued for the Sugar, Orange, and Cotton Bowls; and, of course, the Super Bowl. ADFLAG, in contrast, ignored most of these special events. Sure, they did make NL and AL Champions pennants; but, they typically didn't reference the event itself by name, e.g., "1968 World Series" which suggests their league championship pennants were not made specifically for sale at the event.

Remember, WGN wasn't just a pennant maker, they were also a concessionaire. I'm fairly certain Mr. Newbould and his grand children were outside Comiskey selling this pennant in the summer of 1950. If they were willing to do that in South Bend, there's no reason to think they wouldn't try it at Comiskey. To my knowledge, ADFLAG was always a wholesaler, not a retailer.

Like I said, this wasn't an easy call for me. But, my opinion is this was WGN's work.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:59 AM
Rob

Boring weekend so I took your advice Mark. Guy let me have it for $30.

I wasn't sure about this one. It has the same red batter Rob made vanish.

image host
image host
image host
image host
image host
image host
image host
image host
Old 02-26-2019, 07:10 AM
Mike Dugan

Rob would you explain the process for a beginner like me? I have a couple of early 70's that have browned from being stored in a cardboard box. Both have some red.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:17 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
Rob would you explain the process for a beginner like me? I have a couple of early 70's that have browned from being stored in a cardboard box. Both have some red.
Hi Mike...It's on page 208. See posts #2073 and 2077.

Though I don't think early 70s are great candidates if they're made out of the stiffer material. I've experimented on a couple junk 70s pennants and the results were not good.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:34 AM
Mike Dugan

Thanks Rob, these are of the recent stiffer variety so they probably would not be good candidates.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:32 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Agree... if it’s post 1969, forget about it!

Rob-
Looks like a flawless result. We’re there any issues along the way? Any bleeding of the red? Obviously the Batter came out great, but curious if you had to do the hurried rinsing ritual to save it.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:59 AM
Rob

Stellar work, Rob!

Mark, in my experience, there’s no such thing as hurried rinsing....it either works or it’s a disaster.