NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-11-2013, 05:11 AM
Phil Garry

Default H & S Pick-Ups

How did everyone do last night in Huggins & Scott?

It was both a good and bad night for me. I was happy to pick up the 1894 Torsch & Lee Baltimore composite at a decent price. On the other hand, it was totally frustrating bidding on the 1907 Philadelphia Athletics postcard, being the high bidder for 29+ minutes on 6 different occasions, and then watching the outbid notice come in after refreshing the screen each time the clock counted down to -0-.

I also thought that the buyer got a great deal on the 1894 Betz Baltimore cabinet and the 1980 Charlotte Ripken was not a bad deal either as compared to recent prices that I have seen asked for that card.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 10-11-2013 at 05:13 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:11 AM
Derek Granger

Phil - I was floored to come away with the Betz Cabinet w/ just a placeholder bid. I totally wasn't expecting to win, but couldn't pass it up at that price.

Be on the lookout for some items on the BST so I can pay my AH bills!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 10-11-2013, 06:14 AM
Phil Garry

Congrats, Derek, I'm glad that you were the one that got it.

I saw you listing stuff for sale at 1:00am this morning so I figured as much...........
Old 10-11-2013, 06:40 AM
N.ate A.dams

Alright, who won the 77 T206s on the scrapbook paper...

Old 10-11-2013, 07:38 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Quote:
Originally Posted by npa589 View Post
Alright, who won the 77 T206s on the scrapbook paper...

All too rich for me... $65/card. Wowsa! Hope there's a couple of rare backs there...

Last edited by t206hound; 10-11-2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:41 AM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
I was happy to pick up the 1894 Torsch & Lee Baltimore composite at a decent price.
Phil, I was leading on that going into OT, and ended up falling asleep after giving it a price check and still leading around 11:15. I agree you got it at a nice price, and wish I wasn't so tired from chasing my 16-month old around all day that I could've stayed awake a bit longer and bid again! Nice pickup by you!
Old 10-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Josh Margolin

Derek, congrats on the win! I went to bid on it but unfortunately got there a few minutes after close. Win some you lose some I suppose.

Want List: T227 Baker Amen!
Old 10-11-2013, 08:54 AM
Mac Wubben

I was an early bidder on the homemade t206 game cards...surprised they went over $1200 though

http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-b...l?itemid=61510

Picking up the T3 Johnson on BST as well as wins in Sterling and Mile High made for a very expensive and exciting day...and made the H&S shutout welcome.

Mac
Old 10-11-2013, 12:18 PM
N.ate A.dams

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206hound View Post
All too rich for me... $65/card. Wowsa! Hope there's a couple of rare backs there...

I was the underbidder, and when I bid $4000, I did it with a shriek and one eye open...

The way they were on there seemed to indicate that it could be glue that is not necessarily water soluble. There isn't a ton of proof to go on, it was more of a feel thing and how securely they appeared to be on the paper. H&S also used the phrase "tightly glued" to both sides, which made me hesitant to think I could remove them with no recourse. The one that was ripped off seems to not have budged, and it looks like it was ripped off recently judging by how white the remainder of the card was. I've run into both water soluble, and non water-soluble glues when removing cards from scrapbooks.
I love that kind of stuff, and it's one of the only items I'll really overpay for. The percentages are infinitesimal, but to me, it's as close as you can get to getting that feeling of opening a pack, albeit a pack with no front door. I've had pretty good success with it, and the process is exciting for a nerd like me. The only downside is my wife looking at all her baking dishes filled with nasty water.

Another reason why another bidder might have went higher was because this seemed to be a better group to find some of the very rare backs. Many of these subjects, from what I can remember without studying the pictures again, were from the 350-460 series.

Who knows, maybe the owner was a Broadleaf smoker? Hopefully whoever won it is a member, and they can show off 10 Broadleaf 460s and make me regret not going higher! I just couldn't bring myself to purchase them at 70$ a card just for the thrill of it. Also, if you look at the one that was torn off, Birdie Cree, it looked like there was a reddish tint on the scrapbook paper where the card used to be glued to. As many of you know, typically if there is one that is Sweet Cap, the rest are very likely the same. Regardless, the buyer will have a fun time removing them, and I'm bummed I won't get to enjoy the "suspense". These types of offerings don't come up too often.

Last edited by npa589; 10-11-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:01 PM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcmac View Post
I was an early bidder on the homemade t206 game cards...surprised they went over $1200 though

http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-b...l?itemid=61510

Picking up the T3 Johnson on BST as well as wins in Sterling and Mile High made for a very expensive and exciting day...and made the H&S shutout welcome.

Mac
don't understand this lot....why would these be more desirable than a normal card...any collector/seller now can do the SAME EXACT THING with some tape....I think the tape should cut the value of these bigtime!
Old 10-11-2013, 02:03 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramelMan View Post
don't understand this lot....why would these be more desirable than a normal card...any collector/seller now can do the SAME EXACT THING with some tape....I think the tape should cut the value of these bigtime!
The "tape" should soak off fairly easily. The cards all had clean backs, so assuming a clean soak, there's some decent cards there. Way beyond what I was willing to pay, but alas.