NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-09-2008, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Default OT; Mike in Afrique. Updated

Posted By: Steve

He would likely kill me for this but,

Our son Mike just received his Master's from NYU (4.0 gpa) including the 2008 Hirschhorn Thesis Award.

He had signed with the Peace Corps and is enroute to Burkina Faso, West Africa to teach HS aged kids for the next 27 months -via Philly for 3-day orientation.

After nearly six years of $$$+K yearly tuition not including books, room and board, Michael will be clearing about $7 daily!

Still, Mum and Pop are very proud, obviously and I apologize for the excessive gloating.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rawn Hill

Congrats Steve, a job well done!!

Rawn

Old 06-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Congrats....You must be a very proud dad. My little girl just graduated elementary last week. She made A honor role all the way through elementary and had perfect attendence the last 2 yrs. A chip off mom's ole block 'cause daddy was never that good. Every time I speak with board folks and children come up we always agree they are the best things in life!!

Old 06-09-2008, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

My son Adam is shown here after becoming Grand Champion Junior Black Belt in a Kuk Sool Won world tournament. Adam & his younger brother Nathan are currently testing for their 2nd degree black belts. Both boys have a younger sister named Lia. With Dad & her older brothers, Lia's future boyfriends better tred carefully

Old 06-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

Congrats Steve. 

My oldest son's greatest achievement so far is completing one of the TOP levels of Guitar Hero..

My twins greatest achievements have been pooping in the potty, no more diapers so I am probably saving almost as much $$$ as you since your son is NOW out of college!!!!!

martyOgelvie
nyyankeecards.com
Old 06-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Congrats! The Peace Corps is a very honorable service to one's country and to the world.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Pomilla

Nice to see that there are kids out there that know there is a world beyond their own gratification. I commend you guys and gals for your sensibilities, also, for your children are where they are because of your guidance. Well done!

Old 06-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

What a great subject for an OT post.
Money is only one aspect to life. you look to be far richer than your bank would tell you.
Your son's success is a tribute to his upbringing.

fantastic news.

and same for all others posting above and below...

This from a Dad who has already been called for gloating today because his son turned 3 double plays in his TBall game on Saturday!
I know...we don't even tally outs and everyone is safe at this level, but damned if he didn't turn 3 DPs from 3B...one of them unassisted on a popup!!!

Old 06-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim

That's an amazing young man you've raised. It's nice to hear such a positive story. One day your son may make millions, but the journey he's about to embark on will make him a rich man for life.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

Congratulations Steve! and Thank You Mike!

Old 06-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

Steve, congrats!
Your boy has a lot of character & commitment to better the
lives of others. You have a right to be proud.

We are proud of our boy, after his Marines gig ended he joined
a Firefighters academy and his graduation was last Thursday.
He started his full time career yesterday.
Cards are great and completing sets are a nice achievement
but to see your kids thrive in the real world is more rewarding.
Sorry Bruce D.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

For those interested,
Mike has been in W Africa about four months now, recently completed Peace Corp orientation and has been assigned to introduce IT as well as teach introductory english to the students of Bobo-Dioulasso. He's uploaded some short vids and pics of his Africa adventures into his online photo album. He's had several gastro-intestinal setbacks, but is now running on all cylinders. He mentioned how he really misses refrigeration lol. Thought I'd share...

http://flickr.com/photos/hypostylin

Messed up the link- repaired

Old 10-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Glad he is doing well. Hope and pray he continues that way!! Thanks for the update.....best regards

Old 10-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

Steve,

That's great! I urge to to go visit him. You'll see stuff that most people never see. My wife and I just got back from Ghana where we visited our son who is a PCV teaching Math. Great trip!!!! We traveled all over Ghana with him (his site is more or less in the middle of the country) and we actually visited a slave camp on the Burkina border. We spent several days with him in his village - no running water or indoor plumbing. One must go to the bore hole in the village center and bring water back water in buckets. Pretty rudimentary. Fortunately, when I did this, the young women of the village took pity on the old man and carried it back for me on their heads. In any case, I learned that my boy is already more of a man than I ever was or will ever be.

BTW, he did the Philly orientation thing too. Did they gather at the Holiday Inn? Your boy will have experiences and make contacts on which you cannot put a monetary value.

Gloat on!!!!

Ken

Old 10-04-2008, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Steve- he sounds like a wonderful kid and you should be proud...must be good upbringing!

Old 10-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jim sexton

Ken and Steve, Add one more pcv parent to the list. My son Dave, a recent college grad with a double major in French and Math had hoped to vounteer in a French speaking country in West Africa. He departed from Philly about three weeks ago for Tanzania and is presently learning Kiswhahilli. (forgive the spelling)After the first of the year he will be teaching math somewhere in Tanzania. His first request was for a soccer ball.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

Steve,
Always great to hear when the kids do well. He sounds like a great person with great ambitions of helping other people. We are in the same $$ boat. My oldest is at Fordham Univ. Finishing his senior year. Gave up a Baseball scholarship(pitcher) because he wanted to study medicine! Go figure. I guess thats the fun of being a parent just when we think we have them all figured out they do something smart and surprise us!!!!!!
Congrats again and keep us informed on his progress!!! Al

Old 11-14-2008, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve F

Month 6 update, Mike's setup the first computer lab (In Burkina Faso), it is up and running well. He had also procured "some" air conditioning for that hot classroom using the barter system. He said that it took them four hours to send their first emails to each other and they can't wait to get online happy.gif

He also teaches HS English and French to the younger ones.

[linked image]

A quick video of his abode, actually quite luxurious, in Bobo-Dioulasso;

http://flickr.com/photos/hypostylin/2903611697/

Old 11-14-2008, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Steve - thanks for the update - sounds like he's having an incredible life experience!

Old 11-14-2008, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Very cool. I am sure you are very proud. That "toilet" reminds me of going to the "field" every week in the Marine Corps. We just hoped the leaves we grabbed for toilet paper weren't poisonous.......It looks like your son doesn't have it too much better. Thanks much for sharing....

Old 11-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hank Levy

To Steve and other PCV parents,

You should be proud that your children are concerned enough about people who need their help around the world. Also that they often must live under the same harsh conditions of the people they are serving [this , more than anything makes them appreciate the good old USA]. You should also be happy that their rate of pay has more than doubled since I had the privilege to serve in a small Turkish village over 40 years ago. In those days I earned about $3 per day ... but back then a dollar was a dollar! Believe me that this will be among their most rewarding "jobs" and enable them to grow up and take on enormous responsibility at the same time that they represent the image of America to all they meet.

I am thrilled that my daughter, Jessica, was inspired by my service and volunteered for Americorps after her graduation from college.
She loved it and met her future husband there as well. Sometimes when you give of yourself it becomes a gift that just keeps on giving.

Again, I salute you all.

Hank

Old 11-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Wow.

How totally cool to make such a huge difference. You must be so proud. That video was great. Thanks so much for sharing it.

Plus, he's made, what, $1200 now, right? happy.gif

-Al

Old 11-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

Steve,

I sure hope Mike has an iron stomach. If he's in the streets of Ouagadougou tell him to get a few pictures of the street vendors selling their cooked meats. He'll probably shake his head when he sees how they "store" the meat (if you can call it that). Peace Corps, huh. That will be a pretty fulfilling tour when he's finished. He'll watch some of the Peace Corp girls go into the bush (back country) and start going native happy.gif

Old 03-23-2009, 07:25 AM
Administrator

10 Month update and request...

Mike has adapted very well to the food, lack of comforts (a toilet), has learned Jula and some other tribal speak. Now my request...

If anyone has an old, working Blackberry... He could use it. Burkina Faso just rec'd B-berry capability and now mom and pop may be able to hassle him more often! Mike said they sell them in the Capital for $800 new, but he makes $7/ day lol.
I'm ignorant about these devices, but will pay fairly for a solid USED one. They all appear fragile to me. If you can help, even recommend a model that may tolerate sandstorms, 120*F days and generally rugged conditions, please email me at; fdnyladder7@comcast.net

Mike's online photo album:http://www.flickr.com/photos/hypostylin

Michael Falletti
Professeur d'Informatique
Lycée Municipal Vinama Thiémounou Djibril
B.P. 1065
Bobo-Dioulasso, Burkina Faso

Thankyou in advance,
Steve Falletti

Old 03-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Steve - I know how you could come up with $800 happy.gif
Sounds like he's doing well; you must be proud!

My Trade/Sale Page

Old 03-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Hey Matt, I don't care if it could save the entire nation. Noone's getting my Shoeless before I'm planted... I do appreciate the offer.

Incidentally, A kind doctor at the wife's hospital promised his old Blackberry this morning! Hopefully, I can ship it out tomorrow.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

Is something that is very worthwile. That peace corps trip says something wonderful about the parents.

Regards
Rich

Old 03-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony N.

Steve-
looks like I can get a used Blackberry Pearl, working on something better/newer. Can you email me, yours isn't on here
Anthony
griffinscards@yahoo.com

edited- opps, sorry, missed it. email sent