NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-14-2016, 08:52 PM

Default New Website: t206insider.com

Hi All,

Leon was kind enough to let me plug my new website here.

Some of you know me, some not.

I am a T206 collector and researcher. I have been a Net54 contributor since 2006--although my peak posting occurred between 2006 and 2010. Most of the “old school” Net54 T206 contributors know me.

Personally, I am about 100 shy of 524. But I have surveyed well over 100K T206 cards. (I revised this number down since the same card can appear many times in my dataset).

In 2006, I published an e-book called Inside T206 that made a bit of a splash. Inside T206 obliterated some long standing T206 myths. It revealed the existence of super prints, among other discoveries. It is (and since 2006 has been) available for download from the Old Cardboard website free of charge. It was also published in Sports Collectors Digest as a four-part series.

Today, I am launching a website called T206 Insider.

The URL is << t206insider.com >>

T206 Insider is a research portal, universal set registry and marketplace. It helps T206 collectors by providing custom tools that yield actionable intelligence.

Here are some of the unique features the site offers:

Dynamic Checklists. T206 Insider Dynamic Checklists are custom checklists that you devise to carry out your personal T206 collecting strategies. Using the site’s widgets, you can filter and sort based on criteria of interest to you such as subject name, team, print group, Hall of Fame status, scarcity rank (computed using a proprietary ranking methodology) and price multiplier. By combining different filters and sorting criteria, you can create a virtually limitless number of checklists that can provide you with fresh insights and help you meet your personal collecting goals.

Price Check. Want to know how much a T206 card with a particular back in a particular grade assigned by a particular grading company is worth? T206 Insider Price Check provides price estimates based on a few inputs into a custom price check form.

Exclusive Research. The T206 Insider Research section provides cutting edge research on the T206 set. For starters, I have posted an original article on the relative scarcity of the 524 subjects in the set.

Universal Registry (Registration Required). The T206 Insider Universal Registry allows you to register your T206 collection by providing inputs into a custom registry form and see how it stacks-up against others on various counts—regardless of whether your cards are professionally graded or which service graded them. At last, you can participate in a registry without being captive to a grading service!

Marketplace (Registration Required). The T206 Insider Marketplace provides a one-stop shop for T206 cards. Unlike other sales outlets for T206 cards, the T206 Insider Marketplace is designed exclusively for T206. From the seller's perspective, the custom listing form allows you to list your cards for sale without any manual data entry. You then monitor your listings from your password-protected seller dashboard and receive email notifications from prospective buyers. It couldn't be easier. From the buyer's perspective, the filterable and sortable listings in the Marketplace make finding cards of interest to you a breeze. And best of all, there are no final value fees or buyer premiums!

I hope you enjoy this exciting new T206 community. You can join today by following the Register - Login link at the top of the home page and completing the registration form. Membership is free for now, although a small to-be-determined annual membership fee will be charged starting in January 2017 (to use the Registry and Marketplace -- other features will remain free).

Happy collecting!

Scot Reader

EDITED TO ADD: And please forgive the bugs on the site. I know there will be some!

Last edited by sreader3; 09-15-2016 at 04:08 AM.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:37 PM
Todd Schultz

Default Nice

Congrats and best of luck, Scot, to what I'm sure will be another great resource for the hobby.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:20 AM
Bill O

Very cool ....... Thanks
There is another site that approximates
prices but for the heck of it I searched
for a PSA Plank with a Hindu back.
12mil
Sounds about right
Old 09-15-2016, 12:46 AM
Nick Pascal

As someone who just got in to the wonderful world of T206's a few months ago, I can't wait to dive in to the knowledge compiled on the site. Thanks for your hard work, Scott!
Old 09-15-2016, 01:13 AM

Nice site, and I love the sortable checklist option. I do have a question...what are long prints? I have not heard of this term before with the T206 set. Is it a particular subject that, within its print group, has an abnormal availability, as if it were possibly double printed?

Great work, and hope to see even more features.

Brian
Old 09-15-2016, 04:06 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. "Long prints" are the guys Ted Z identified as the Exclusive 12 460-only subjects plus a few Pirate guys from the 350-only series, all of which were printed in unusually high quantities. I decided to group them into the "long print" bucket. I might get rid of that designation if it causes confusion.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:00 AM
Paul

I'm a huge fan of the site and your research (going back to the beginning). It's great stuff. I'm particularly happy to see that you have updated your scarcity charts, and that you have taken into account high value bias. It is a really smart idea "that reported condition profiles for T206 subjects in the PSA Population Report are different due to high value transaction bias." And that you can derive useful information from the fact that more low grade Cobbs get submitted for grading than low grade Unglaubs.

I know you have Doyle throwing as theoretically on the scarce side. And I get it - it's a Series 150 only subject. But, my experience has been that this card is not so tough. Anecdotally, of all of the signed T206 cards that found their way onto ebay in 2007 from The Great Pittsburgh Find of Signed T206 cards, the most prevalent card was a signed Doyle throwing (5 examples). And, even if you assume it's because Doyle was an easy signature at the time, then isn't it surprising that only 3 portrait and 2 batting poses were signed?

Doyles from Pittsburgh

Obviously that's just one universe, but in my two runs up the Monster Mountain I have not found Doyle Throwing to be particularly tough either. I can't see how SLer Ed Foster could be found even slightly more easily, as your report suggests. Theilman, who you rank alongside Doyle, is way harder, in my humble - non-data driven - gut feeling/opinion.

Regardless, very very helpful! Great stuff!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 09-15-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:15 AM

Paul,

Thanks for the kudos. I am the first to admit that the condition-adjusted population ranking methodology that I invoked is imperfect. I was surprised by a few of the rankings too, but the data are what they are. I didn't massage the rankings to comport with conventional wisdom or my "gut feel" since that would have defeated the purpose of a data-driven approach.

Scot
Old 09-15-2016, 11:43 AM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Great site! Although I would include Reulbach Glove Showing and Mike Powers as part of your short print list.

Also, I've noticed that the Sov. 150 for the 150 only series are incredibly tough to find. Even harder than Hindu. The Sov. 150 multiplier in IMO should be high for 150 only subjects.

It should be mentioned too that the back multipliers for certain cards like the Sov. 460 and Sov. 350 are really tough for the Super Print group as Ted discovered in his research. http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=124890

Last edited by The Nasty Nati; 09-15-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:50 AM
Steve Birmingham

Signed up and so far I really like the site.

I've had a copy of inside T206 for a while, and found it fascinating.

I'm looking forward to seeing what other research gets posted there. There's some good stuff here that could be mirrored or put into a more approachable format. And there's some stuff I've seen that hasn't been posted, but should be. (Not mine)

I also like the universal registry.
Just a few minor ideas there.

Features I'd like to see
Having a way to denote if a card is slabbed or not and if so, by what company. That could be weighted or not, probably simpler/less controversial if at least the big three are weighted the same.

An extended universal registry. I'm only up to the D players, and already I've had a couple where I've had to choose between a lesser condition tougher back and a slightly nicer more common back.

Including blank backs.

And a few very minor glitches, inconsistencies etc.
Entering cards is "a bit" slow. Being able to do more than one at a time would be helpful. Not that it will matter once they're entered, but the initial setup is pretty slow.

One small thing that would help would be having the menus for back and condition and when/where you get them a bit clearer. I finally realized I can do it in one click in the box instead of closing the default and opening the menu.

And very trivial, but it slows me down, maybe not others. The menu for the backs requires a click on the word "select" and the one for condition requires a click next to "select".

All in all a great start! If those few things are the only glitches you've done very well.

Steve B
Old 09-15-2016, 01:12 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Hi Scot

You have created a super-site here. There sure is a lot of stuff to take in.

And, a tremendous thank you for this feature......" At last, you can participate in a registry without being captive to a grading service ! ".

I will register my PIEDMONT, SOVEREIGN, and SWEET CAPORAL "complete" sets (which for the most part are ungraded).

TED Z
Old 09-15-2016, 01:20 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

I do not collect pre-war, but I found your site amazing. If I did collect, it would be a great resource for rookies like me.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati View Post
Great site! Although I would include Reulbach Glove Showing and Mike Powers as part of your short print list.
They should be on the short print list. I'll look into it add them if they aren't.

Thanks.

EDITED TO ADD: They are on the short print list. You have to go to page 2.

Scot

Last edited by sreader3; 09-15-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati View Post

Also, I've noticed that the Sov. 150 for the 150 only series are incredibly tough to find. Even harder than Hindu. The Sov. 150 multiplier in IMO should be high for 150 only subjects.

It should be mentioned too that the back multipliers for certain cards like the Sov. 460 and Sov. 350 are really tough for the Super Print group as Ted discovered in his research. http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=124890
I had to use generic back multipliers to keep the initial project scope at a reasonable level. You are right that as Ted and others have shown some backs are tougher with certain print groups -- Sov 150 with 150-only as you mention. Also Old Mill with 150/350 and with the Exclusive 12 460-only guys. Etc. etc. I may try to code different back multipliers for different print groups in a later release. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Signed up and so far I really like the site.

Features I'd like to see
Having a way to denote if a card is slabbed or not and if so, by what company. That could be weighted or not, probably simpler/less controversial if at least the big three are weighted the same.
Thanks Steve. In terms of the registry, my idea was to keep everyone on equal footing regardless of the grading company (or no company at all). Obviously this also simplified configuration on my end. I may add grading company as a registry input in a future release just to allow collectors to better track their collections, but I don't think I want grading company to influence registry points.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

An extended universal registry. I'm only up to the D players, and already I've had a couple where I've had to choose between a lesser condition tougher back and a slightly nicer more common back.

Including blank backs.

And a few very minor glitches, inconsistencies etc.
Entering cards is "a bit" slow. Being able to do more than one at a time would be helpful. Not that it will matter once they're entered, but the initial setup is pretty slow.

One small thing that would help would be having the menus for back and condition and when/where you get them a bit clearer. I finally realized I can do it in one click in the box instead of closing the default and opening the menu.

And very trivial, but it slows me down, maybe not others. The menu for the backs requires a click on the word "select" and the one for condition requires a click next to "select".
Steve--I'll take note of all this. Some of these changes won't be possible because I am using the Knack.com toolset which has limited configuration options. Scot
Old 09-15-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hi Scot

You have created a super-site here. There sure is a lot of stuff to take in.

And, a tremendous thank you for this feature......" At last, you can participate in a registry without being captive to a grading service ! ".

I will register my PIEDMONT, SOVEREIGN, and SWEET CAPORAL "complete" sets (which for the most part are ungraded).

TED Z
Thanks Ted. I know we kicked around the idea of creating a site a few times over the years so your positive review means a lot. I also appreciate you taking the time to register some of your cards. Additionally, I hope you will consider writing a piece (or several!) for the Research section. Those would be invaluable contributions. Scot

EDITED TO ADD: Thanks also to John for your kind words. I hope I responded to everyone!

Last edited by sreader3; 09-15-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:22 PM

Just wanted to say it's a very cool site and thank you, Scot!
Old 09-15-2016, 05:01 PM

Scot, fantastic site, congrats!
Old 09-15-2016, 05:05 PM

Thanks guys. Coming from you two it means a lot.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:41 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
Steve--I'll take note of all this. Some of these changes won't be possible because I am using the Knack.com toolset which has limited configuration options. Scot
Yes, the software will have limits, especially if it's affordable.

I'm sure some of it is just the newness, once I get used to it it'll be easier for me. And as I mentioned, everything I mentioned is really pretty trivial in the big picture.

Did a few more, got the last part of the alphabet done, so maybe a bit more than halfway to getting them all entered. Had a few tough calls on the grading, mostly between Poor and fair, and a few that might get a VG from a company, but with a light crease I put them all in good, maybe one or two in good +.

Steve B
Old 09-15-2016, 06:08 PM
+0m J()rd@N

very nice Scott. I've entered my very meager T206 collection. One question though - how do I view the contents of 'my collection'?
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 09-15-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
very nice Scott. I've entered my very meager T206 collection. One question though - how do I view the contents of 'my collection'?
While logged-in, click on the My Backs tab to see your Subject/Back profile for all 524 subjects and the My Grades tab to see your Subject/Grade profile for all 524 subjects. Thanks for trying out the site!

Last edited by sreader3; 09-15-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:12 PM

Guys,

I am aware of a bug in the checklists where the number of certain subjects (which should be 1 - 524) defaults to "0". I'm trying to figure that one out.

Corrected a few bugs in the registry rules:

1. Sweet Cap 350/30, Piedmont 42 and Uzit were not registering properly for subjects starting with Mit - Z. This has been corrected. You may want to re-register any Mit - Z cards you registered with those backs.

2. Overall (Portrait) backs were not registering properly. This has been corrected. You may want to re-register any Overall (Portrait) cards.

3. One more correction: Reulbach (No Glove) backs & grades were not registering properly. Correction made. Please re-register him.

Thanks for your patience as the bugs are worked out.

Scot

Last edited by sreader3; 09-16-2016 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:36 PM

Default Scot...

Holy SHIT

WOW!!!
Old 09-16-2016, 10:42 AM
D@rek H.ogue

Spectacular! My new home away from home
Old 09-16-2016, 11:21 AM

Thanks guys.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:21 AM
Joe Drouillard

Love it. A great resource.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:48 AM
Luke Lyon

Great site Scot! I'm looking forward to spending some time there. Very fitting name for it as well.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:45 PM
mark sanders

Default More Outstanding Work!

really phenomenal job, scot!
sincerely appreciate the time & effort you've devoted to this set.
thank you so much for sharing all this with us.
I have run into a few issues with incorrect/missing info for either backs or grades in my registry:
Bergen catching
Jennings one hand
laporte
latham
sheckard glove
sheckard no glove
shipke
slagle
carlos smith- can't remove
f smith white cap- is not showing on my backs list
spade
have even removed all entries & resubmitted.
plmk if you'd like more info.
can you advise?
thanks again.
BAT ON: Old Mill, SC 350/25
BAT OFF: Cycle, Lenox, Piedmont 460/42, Uzit
& Piedmont 350
Old 09-16-2016, 04:27 PM

Default Registry Problems

Hi Mark, Thanks for registering your collection. Your "problem" entries probably fit into the following categories where I fixed bugs today:

Administrator Note 09.16.16: UPDATED 2:46 p.m. MST

I have corrected some bugs in the the registry.

Overall (Portrait), Reulbach (No Glove) -- all backs and grades

Mit-Z subjects -- Sweet Cap 350/30, Piedmont 460/42, Uzit backs only

Mit-Z subjects -- 1.5 (FAIR) grade only

If you would be kind enough to re-register those cards that would be great. If problems persist, please email me at << t206insider@gmail.com >> .

Very sorry for the inconvenience.

Scot

EDITED TO ADD: Looks like there may be a few more issues I have not caught. I will look into them and get back to you. Scot

Last edited by sreader3; 09-16-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:40 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Good luck Scot-your T206 books were excellent reads back when I was collecting the set!
Old 09-16-2016, 09:39 PM

Thank you Dave.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:26 AM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Fantastic website Scot! Registered and having a blast. Thanks for your efforts.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:39 AM

Dean -- Thanks.

Mark -- I made a few more fixes to the database based on your input and manually updated your collection so you shouldn't have to re-register anything. See my PM to you for details. Pls contact me through the site if there are any more issues. Thanks.

Scot
Old 09-17-2016, 11:46 AM
S Gross

Scot,

GREAT !!!!!

Have absolutely nothing to do this afternoon ---- gonna do some entries !!!!

Fun stuff, Scott
Old 09-17-2016, 12:21 PM

Thanks Scott. Pls contact me through the site if you have any problems. Scot
Old 09-17-2016, 07:32 PM

Default Thanks...

Scot.... Wow that took a lot of time to put together. Thank You and Congratulations. One thing I would love to see is are images of the fronts and backs. While I know most of the backs (Drum I would have to look up) there are many fronts that I have no recollection of. 500+ items is a lot to ask for from most individuals. It would help me create my next ten or twenty desired card lists that I want to pursue. Again Congratulations and Thank You for your Time, Effort, and Willingness to Share.... It is Appreciated....
Old 09-17-2016, 09:08 PM

Thanks. I'll have to think more about adding front images to the checklist and registry input interface. It's a big time commitment and would slow down page loads, but I can see benefits too.

Last edited by sreader3; 09-17-2016 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:24 PM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Great site Scot. I have added my entire collection to the registry already!
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 09-18-2016, 02:08 PM

That's great Josh. Thanks!

EDITED TO ADD: With help from a lot of you guys (especially Mark Sanders and Frank Burkett) I have made some fixes to the Universal Registry and it seems to be running smoothly now!

Last edited by sreader3; 09-18-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:24 PM
Rob.ert Bal.ke

In the price valuation tool you are missing blank back in the card type drop down. Robert
Old 09-18-2016, 05:33 PM

Hi Robert,

By design, I didn't include any scrap -- blank, Brown Old Mill, etc.

I may include that in the future.

Scot
Old 09-20-2016, 10:48 AM
Ron

Just started digging into the site and am looking forward to recording my cards. Between this and your fantastic e-book, you've made two really impressive contributions to our T206 community.

Thanks Scot,
Ron
Old 09-20-2016, 10:56 AM

Thanks Ron. I appreciate it.

In addition to the registry I hope you'll check out the marketplace. It's super user friendly for both sellers and buyers. I have received some nice feedback about it from early adopters and I have a feeling it's really going to catch fire.

Scot
Old 09-20-2016, 11:04 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Great looking site, Scot! Good luck with it.

Makes me wish I hadn't sold all my T206 so I could utilize it.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
Great looking site, Scot! Good luck with it.

Makes me wish I hadn't sold all my T206 so I could utilize it.
You can start over. The Monster always beckons.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:26 PM
Tony Davis

Scott,

there must be some type of error. I'm trying to register my Coupon Type 1 backs and they are not on the list

Tony
Old 09-20-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206fix View Post
Scott,

there must be some type of error. I'm trying to register my Coupon Type 1 backs and they are not on the list

Tony
Good one Tony! Like to stir the pot, eh.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:43 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
You can start over. The Monster always beckons.
That is so, so wicked. And very true!

On my way to take a look.......
...whatever I want