NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Default Babe Ruth card Dupont Cavalcade of America...

Posted By: Erick Lewin

I just won this card on ebay, and admittedly really know nothing about it other than what I saw on oldcardboard site.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110287476134&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=001

The seller shows it as a 1937 issue and Old CB shows it as a 1947 issue, i'm guessing it's 1947. I guess it was an NBC radio premium.

Wondering if anyone else knew about this card, and the relative scarcity, etc... thanks

Old 09-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

Thanks for outbidding me Erick. I've been the underbidder on auctions 5 of the last 5 I've seriously bid on.

I did the same research as you did. The SCD Catalog lists it as 1937 though.

REA sold one as a 1947 piece in 2007:
http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2007/384.html

Old 09-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Just quickly checked dates and "MOnday, September 29th" (as stated on back of the card) occurred in 1941 and 1947. In 1937 Sept, 29th was a Wednesday. Thus, the 1947 date is probably the correct one.
-Rhett

Old 09-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Maybe the date on the card is a typo

Old 09-15-2008, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Sorry about that Kyle. I guess it sounds like it's a 1947 issue. Thanks for responses...

Anyone know if SGC or anyone will grade it? scarcity?

Old 09-15-2008, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

No worries, Erick. I was only joking. Congrats on your purchase.

Due to its size, I believe Beckett is the only company that can grade it.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Anderson

Actually, I just about bought one of these at the National, but I too thought it had to be from the 1940's or later, and prefer pre-1940 Ruth and Gehrig cards, so I passed.

Yes, we (Beckett) can grade them, but would list them under the 1947 date.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Thanks Mark, good to know. I'm in no big rush yet to get it graded no plans to sell anytime soon, but i may eventually get it graded . I like to have them graded mostly because i like how they look and feel they're more protected.

thanks for responses.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Lemke

Just Googled the program and found listings for all of Sept., 1937's show, and no Ruth. They doin't have a complete "roster" for 1947, but as pointed out Sept. 29 was a Monday in 1947.

I'll let the guys at the Big Book know they should change the date.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lyman

Hi Guys. I just returned from a short vacation or would have responded sooner. I did considerable research on this card several years ago and it was definitely issued to promote an NBC broadcast on Monday, September 29, 1947.

We published an article about the premium card in Issue #6 of Old Cardboard magazine (Winter 2006, p. 40) and did a condensed version of the article in Issue #21 of the Old Cardboard eNewsletter (see http://www.oldcardboard.com/eNews/eNews21/eNews21.htm#5).

The card is also profiled on the Old Cardboard website (under the "All Others" section; see http://www.oldcardboard.com/o/nbc/nbc.asp?cardsetID=1100). From the website profile, there is a direct link to an audio of the entire 1947 Cavalcade of America broadcast that the card was used to promote.

The broadcast (now in MP3 format) is entitled "The Story of Babe Ruth" and is an interesting dramatization (complete with 1947 commercials) of Ruth's life.

Hope you enjoy the audio. I did.

Lyman

Old 09-21-2008, 06:41 AM
Administrator

I guess it's definatley a 47' issue. Thanks to all who responded. I'm gonna check out the audio on it!

Old 09-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Evans

I was on the original Gordon Reid field at Brimfield in July of 1984 and picker extraordinaire Kenny Chapman pointed in the direction of a sports “collection” that was on an adjoining field and I ran in the general direction like a chicken looking for a great sports collection. I got there to see a table literally stuffed with sports treasures from an Albany sportswriter(Ruth signed ball and photo, hundreds of felt pennants, ton of books and pubs, and a lot more which literally filled the bottom of his van). I negotiated to buy the whole thing for $2500 and got the second load (half a van full) for $1500 a couple of days later. I took it all to the National in Los Angeles and I think I got a princely $750 for the Ruth signed stuff. I will never forget Don Steinbach and Pat Quinn monitoring my table like tag team wrestlers with at least one of them there at all times while I set up.

In this morass of stuff was a stack of about 150 of these very DuPont Cavalcade cards. Gosh, I sold those things for years for anywhere from $10-25 each. And yes I always assumed they were circa 1948 because of all the memorabilia that came out on Ruth during that time (his death) combined with DuPont being a TV station. Besides they look 1940s.

Old 09-27-2016, 03:30 PM
John

I just listened to the radio broadcast from 1947, complete with commercials.
Good stuff from the days before TV.

Here's the link:
http://www.oldcardboard.com/ref/audi...de/big-boy.mp3
Old 09-30-2016, 07:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This is some good archived info right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive View Post
Posted By: Josh Evans

I was on the original Gordon Reid field at Brimfield in July of 1984 and picker extraordinaire Kenny Chapman pointed in the direction of a sports “collection” that was on an adjoining field and I ran in the general direction like a chicken looking for a great sports collection. I got there to see a table literally stuffed with sports treasures from an Albany sportswriter(Ruth signed ball and photo, hundreds of felt pennants, ton of books and pubs, and a lot more which literally filled the bottom of his van). I negotiated to buy the whole thing for $2500 and got the second load (half a van full) for $1500 a couple of days later. I took it all to the National in Los Angeles and I think I got a princely $750 for the Ruth signed stuff. I will never forget Don Steinbach and Pat Quinn monitoring my table like tag team wrestlers with at least one of them there at all times while I set up.

In this morass of stuff was a stack of about 150 of these very DuPont Cavalcade cards. Gosh, I sold those things for years for anywhere from $10-25 each. And yes I always assumed they were circa 1948 because of all the memorabilia that came out on Ruth during that time (his death) combined with DuPont being a TV station. Besides they look 1940s.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:40 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

great info in this thread - just wanted to add this image i found of a graded one with a 1937 year though. Would like to see what BVG has to say, did they make a mistake?

ruthqqq.jpg
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 10-10-2016 at 05:40 AM.