NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-26-2018, 08:29 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Your argument is the same one used to cut up a Babe Ruth bat or uniform so a lot of people can have a piece. That booklet lasted over one hundred years till you decided to destroy it. Shame on you. The hobby is better without generous people like you.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:09 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Your argument is the same one used to cut up a Babe Ruth bat or uniform so a lot of people can have a piece. That booklet lasted over one hundred years till you decided to destroy it. Shame on you. The hobby is better without generous people like you.

I would disagree with than analogy. Each ticket is a stand alone item. The "ticket book" was created so that the purchaser in 1912 could remove each ticket for a game. The removal of the ticket meant you still had a book with some tickets and a single ticket. It is not a literary work. A bat or jersey is a single item. Taking it apart does not create an item that can stand alone on its own. It would be a piece of wood, wool, button or sawdust. Would I have done the same thing he did? I have. Some of the 1904 Louisiana Purchase Exposition tickets are also considered Olympics tickets. You could purchase a full book of tickets for each day of the expo. They also put your photo inside the booklet with your name. The booklet looks very similar to this one with 5 small tickets (about 3/4" x 2") per 'page'. They were also numbered by the day of the year i.e. #155 would be May 5th the 155th day of the year. The ones for the athletic, swimming and golf sell very well on their own.

Several have said it was his and he could do with it what he wished. I would suspect that many people on this board do something with their collection that others would say is wrong. If you own it, it is your right to do as you see fit.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 02-27-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:30 AM
Steve Birmingham

To me this is a tough one.

Personally I prefer stuff kept as-is unless there's a good reason to make changes. Even some of the semi-junk I've gotten over the years I've kept as original as possible - like card sets I got through the mail that I've kept in the original packing.

But I also do some stuff with old magazines which is a closer analogy. I've bought a lot of them, most from one source. Some are in great condition, and hopefully if the kids don't want them years from now, someone else will.
But others... Some were in bad condition already, others were partly cut up by the guy I got them from as source material for his nostalgia magazine.

Do I take ads or articles out of the nice ones? No, just won't do that.
Do I take ads or articles out of the ones that are missing portions/covers/ etc already? Yes, I do. Not always something I do in a hurry, sometimes the thing I want would damage a better item if it was cut, so it's a choice.

I'd have probably kept the book together.
But it was missing the covers, and the top page was a bit rough.

If it was the only one, I'd think it would be best if it stayed together. If there are others from the same year that are nicer, or at least complete, then maybe.

I don't buy the argument that a seller is "providing people a chance to own a piece of something they couldn't afford" That's just justifying. (And my other reasons fringe on politics, so I'll avoid that. If you have to know, just email me)
I also only partly get the "it's mine to do as I wish" Yeah, it is. But it was here before you, and without being broken up would be here long after you and I are gone. The cards the Goudey co burned to heat the building were theirs to do that, but I'm sure we all wish they hadn't (except maybe anyone who owns an uncut sheet...) A lot of what we collect wasn't really intended to be kept for years, but I'm sure we're all glad it was. That we can be custodians of those things so they're there for future generations is pretty cool.

Now, there are exceptions. When the Smithsonian restored at least a couple of the cloth covered planes they partly funded the restoration by selling photos of the plane framed along with a one inch square of the original cloth covering. At the time that old cloth would have rotted away at the Garber facility that was shot on storage, or been thrown away. And having a textile mill create a short run of the exact fabric was probably really expensive. (I've seen where another museum did something similar, but had a bunch of the cloth made and offered it to owners of the same sort of plane. )

So OP, yes, yours to do as you wish, and it's been broken up now so not much point. But I'd ask you one thing.... Take some of the money and rescue some bit of the past from some sort of inevitable oblivion. There's a lot out there, I used to find it pretty often, and for very little. Like some route salesmans books and some letters and other paperwork from a 7-up bottler that was at an estate sale - on the floor behind the furnace, with other "trash" they would have thrown away the next day. Not really valuable, but interesting. I got the whole pile for I think $5.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:05 AM
Henry Shrimps
Banned

As far as someone offered $8k for the whole ticket book.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:14 AM
Fred

The following made me want to puke.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Christy-Mat...53.m1438.l2649

Breaking this ticket book apart could be viewed as a shame but it wasn't complete to begin with. The Matty transfer document being cut up was just STUPID. The card should have been a mail in redemption ticket to obtain the whole uncut document.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:20 AM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
The following made me want to puke.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Christy-Mat...53.m1438.l2649
Autograph collectors need to treat autograph cuts as card collectors treat trimmed cards.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:54 AM
Howard Chernick

I feel that the OP has every right to do what he wants to the tickets since he owns it.

I personally like the idea of purchasing separate tickets which have some significance. Owning the whole booklet doesn't really bring out the individual feats of each game.

There are people out there who rather have the entire ticket book intact while others rather own a piece of it. You will never please everyone.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard

Last edited by Buythatcard; 03-01-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Davi.d Sha.kir

Default FYI here what I have done for the Ticket hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
To me this is a tough one.

Personally I prefer stuff kept as-is unless there's a good reason to make changes. Even some of the semi-junk I've gotten over the years I've kept as original as possible - like card sets I got through the mail that I've kept in the original packing.

But I also do some stuff with old magazines which is a closer analogy. I've bought a lot of them, most from one source. Some are in great condition, and hopefully if the kids don't want them years from now, someone else will.
But others... Some were in bad condition already, others were partly cut up by the guy I got them from as source material for his nostalgia magazine.

Do I take ads or articles out of the nice ones? No, just won't do that.
Do I take ads or articles out of the ones that are missing portions/covers/ etc already? Yes, I do. Not always something I do in a hurry, sometimes the thing I want would damage a better item if it was cut, so it's a choice.

I'd have probably kept the book together.
But it was missing the covers, and the top page was a bit rough.

If it was the only one, I'd think it would be best if it stayed together. If there are others from the same year that are nicer, or at least complete, then maybe.

I don't buy the argument that a seller is "providing people a chance to own a piece of something they couldn't afford" That's just justifying. (And my other reasons fringe on politics, so I'll avoid that. If you have to know, just email me)
I also only partly get the "it's mine to do as I wish" Yeah, it is. But it was here before you, and without being broken up would be here long after you and I are gone. The cards the Goudey co burned to heat the building were theirs to do that, but I'm sure we all wish they hadn't (except maybe anyone who owns an uncut sheet...) A lot of what we collect wasn't really intended to be kept for years, but I'm sure we're all glad it was. That we can be custodians of those things so they're there for future generations is pretty cool.

Now, there are exceptions. When the Smithsonian restored at least a couple of the cloth covered planes they partly funded the restoration by selling photos of the plane framed along with a one inch square of the original cloth covering. At the time that old cloth would have rotted away at the Garber facility that was shot on storage, or been thrown away. And having a textile mill create a short run of the exact fabric was probably really expensive. (I've seen where another museum did something similar, but had a bunch of the cloth made and offered it to owners of the same sort of plane. )

So OP, yes, yours to do as you wish, and it's been broken up now so not much point. But I'd ask you one thing.... Take some of the money and rescue some bit of the past from some sort of inevitable oblivion. There's a lot out there, I used to find it pretty often, and for very little. Like some route salesmans books and some letters and other paperwork from a 7-up bottler that was at an estate sale - on the floor behind the furnace, with other "trash" they would have thrown away the next day. Not really valuable, but interesting. I got the whole pile for I think $5.
FYI here what I have done for the Ticket hobby
https://www.psacard.com/Articles/Art...-1933-1947-era
this enabled 1000's of tickets previously worth next to nothing , to sky rocket in value , when dates and years could be accurately assigned to undated Yankees tickets ,
I also prevented a bogus Mickey Mantle ticket being sold to some unsuspecting buyer at a major auction house for $1000's
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=240361
Old 02-27-2018, 10:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalimey View Post
this enabled 1000's of tickets previously worth next to nothing , to sky rocket in value , when dates and years could be accurately assigned to undated Yankees tickets ,
I also prevented a bogus Mickey Mantle ticket being sold to some unsuspecting buyer at a major auction house for $1000's
Those are good deeds indeed. I wouldn't get your feathers too ruffled about all of this brouhaha concerning the ticket book. Take it in stride. I doubt anyone actually doesn't like you because of this but some might not like the cutting out of the tickets. In the big picture of this hobby (and life) this is not that big of a deal. I am not for cutting up Babe's jerseys or Ty's bats but a coverless ticket book is not in that realm, to me. But then again I am a 1 percenter many times. Everyone has a right to their opinion and I doubt one is better than another, by much.

Last edited by Leon; 02-27-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:08 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalimey View Post

Mother Teresa got nothing on you
Old 02-27-2018, 11:28 AM
T0NY @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Several have said it was his and he could do with it what he wished. I would suspect that many people on this board do something with their collection that others would say is wrong. If you own it, it is your right to do as you see fit.
This!
Old 02-28-2018, 12:43 PM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Quote:
Perfectly stated!

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 02-28-2018, 12:54 PM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
Honestly, I think comparing cutting up a Ruth Jersey or bat to removing tickets from a book that were made to be removed is kind of ridiculous.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:08 PM
Banned

if I find an uncut sheet of 170 T206s, which was originally produced with the intent of it being cut up, and i do just that because I only want the 8 cards on the sheet that picture Cincinnati players, that doesn’t strike you as a bad decision?
Old 02-28-2018, 01:15 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Amazing find!!!! Watch me tear it into pieces so I can make more people happy?!?!

Unbelievable.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:21 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Amazing find!!!! Watch me tear it into pieces so I can make more people happy?!?!

Unbelievable.
How was it torn to pieces? The tickets were designed to be separated from each other.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 03-01-2018, 04:18 AM

Default Not the first...not the last

I find it interesting that the OP was clever enough to post this "amazing find" on the front page, where he would have more eyes then our standard B/S/Trade section as a means to facilitate the sale of this ticket book.

He found a way to advertise an item for sale without buying a banner like our other fine advertisers!

Patrick
Old 02-28-2018, 01:29 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
if I find an uncut sheet of 170 T206s, which was originally produced with the intent of it being cut up, and i do just that because I only want the 8 cards on the sheet that picture Cincinnati players, that doesn’t strike you as a bad decision?
apples and oranges
Old 02-28-2018, 01:46 PM

I understand that these are in fact tickets but I don't find a lot to get excited about since they aren't gate tickets. I would have left the book as is being that the individual slips aren't all that attractive. They must be pretty tiny when they're ripped off.

Last edited by packs; 02-28-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:06 PM
Davi.d Sha.kir

Default "tiny"game 1 ticket worth BIG BUCKS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I understand that these are in fact tickets but I don't find a lot to get excited about since they aren't gate tickets. I would have left the book as is being that the individual slips aren't all that attractive. They must be pretty tiny when they're ripped off.
Just so you know I have a serious confirmed very high offer
for the tiny little "Game 1 ticket" however for me its one I want to keep

as they say "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder"
Old 02-28-2018, 02:12 PM

Good luck with the sale. I only meant to say I thought they looked much more appealing as a group than what I imagine they look like separately.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:13 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Wasn't like this dude burned it or flushed it down the toilet. Not sure why he is Public Enemy # 1.

I get really pissed when some card company butchers a document and creates a ugly autograph monstrosity, but I guess you own and you do what you want with it. Sort of how the world works.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-28-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:15 PM
Davi.d Sha.kir

Default some key games of the 1912 Highlanders Season

some of these game tickets will be available for sale in the near future , They will be all PSA slabbed and graded
GAME NO. - 1 First game the New York Yankees franchise wore Pinstripes.
GAME NO. - 2 Tris Speaker (BOS) Career Hone Run 23 (1st of league leading 10)
GAME NO. - 4 Walter Johnson (WASH) Complete Game Shutout (27th career) "Titanic Sinks on this day"
GAME NO. - 8 Hippo Vaughn Complete Game Shutout
GAME NO. - 9 Eddie Plank (PHI) Career Win 227
GAME NO. - 10 Chief Bender (PHI) Career Win 143
GAME NO. - 17 Ty Cob (DET) 2 stolen Bases, 19th of a record 54 Career steals of Home, and 2nd of a record 8 steal of Home in a season (1912)
GAME NO. - 18 Ty Cobb (DET) Stolen Base
GAME NO. - 19 Ty Cobb (DET) jumps into Stands & Beats Up New York Fan.
Cobb Stolen Base , Gets suspended
GAME NO. - 25 Ed Walsh (CHI) Career Win 163
GAME NO. - 30 Walter Johnson (WASH) Career Win 90
GAME NO. - 45 Iron Davis Major League Debut (Game II)
GAME NO. - 46 Shoeless Joe Jackson (CLE) Career Home Run 11
GAME NO. - 49 Ray Caldwell Complete Game Shut Out (3rd career, game II)
GAME NO. - 54 Ty Cobb (DET) Detroit Tigers wear Yankee Pinstripe Uniforms
GAME NO. - 55 Sam Crawford (DET) Career Home Run 73
GAME NO. - 56 Guy Zinn Steals Home Base for a record tying 2 times in a game
GAME NO. - 58 Ray Caldwell Complete Game Shut Out (4th career, game II)
GAME NO. - 66 Iron Davis First Career Win (Game II)
GAME NO. - 69 Smoky Joe Wood (BOS) Career Win 76, 29th of 34 Win Season
GAME NO. - 72 Eddie Plank (PHI) Career Win 248 (game-II)
GAME NO. - 74 Eddie Plank (PHI) Career Win 249
GAME NO. - 75 Walter Johnson (WASH) Career Win 115 (33rd game of season)
GAME NO. - 77 Last Game played at Hilltop Park, Last Year as the Higlanders. Hal Chase Career Home Run 20, and last HR hit at HillTop Park. Jack Lelivelt 2 Home Runs; First Career Home Run, and Last Career Home Run.

Last edited by megalimey; 02-28-2018 at 03:17 PM.