NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-18-2006, 05:13 AM
Administrator

Default Cap Anson, 1905 signed city clerks letter Please HELP

Posted By: Karl Hillman

I have a 1906 signed document from the city of Clerks office, Signed by Cap Anson, and also on the back side of the Cap Anson as well.
any information please help.
thanks
anyone who knows his signature please email me for scans,
We did send item to get authenticed before, but its pointless, these services are poor, don't trust sending items of this value to a service like that, where kids are authenticing items. I perfer to get information from a vintage dealer, and not a 24 year old kid working for one of these services.
plmk
mail me at smallwonders1234@aol.com for scans
thanks
I don't know how to load photos on here.

Old 05-18-2006, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

There are experts on this board that can probably help you with this. Good luck with it. If it's real it's probably worth a pretty penny.....best regards (if you send me a jpeg I can post the scan for you)....

Old 05-18-2006, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry Wallace (HW)

From what I understand, many of these Anson/City documents exhibit secretarial signatures of Anson.

His signature is very distinct and any decent authenticator (Spence, Simon, Gutierrez, etc.) should be able to help you out.

Post a picture here and maybe we can help.

Old 05-18-2006, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: drc

I had an Anson City Clerk letter with two signatures I won in a Mastro auction, one on back and one on front. The front signature was secreterial and the back was genuine. It was a few years ago that I had it, but I beleive the real signature had his official city clerk dated ink stamp with it-- sort of like a notary's stamp-- while the secretarial did not. I saw another Anson signed City Clerk document with the same stamp next to his signature, so I assume the stamp was standard when his did such office filing signings.

Old 05-18-2006, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

looks like it may be difficult to get any Anson authenticated given the fact that his secretary may have signed for him and the fact that his signature changed significantly over the years.

Old 05-18-2006, 09:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Karl Hillman

Old 05-19-2006, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I didn't get this done yesterday.....here ya go..

Old 05-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Administrator

I'm no autograph expert, but I beleive the front one is secretarial and back one is Anson's real autograph. The letter is just like the one I won from Mastro, except with a different date and subject topic. Even with one Anson autograph, it's a valuable letter.

Old 05-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

"We did send item to get authenticed before, but its pointless, these services are poor, don't trust sending items of this value to a service like that, where kids are authenticing items. I perfer to get information from a vintage dealer, and not a 24 year old kid working for one of these services."

I would assume from that statement the Anson Letter came back "not authentic", correct?

James

Old 05-19-2006, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

No I never sent it in yet,
I sent in a few other items, out of 10 items, they did 5 of them,
sugar ray robinson signed trucks, roberto clemente baseball, and other cheaper ones,
they swent back a jordan said the j was to big, and a mantle the k wasn't rght,
and they didn't pack anything right at all, all loose in the box. 3 weeks for a 5 day service
I get a $300 credit for the damages, to use them again, Right. that makes sense
Do you think these players know that they need to make there K and J the same way.

Old 05-19-2006, 02:04 PM
Administrator

With a letter like yours, with City Clerk date stamp, Anson's personal stationary and City Clerk seal, the only real question is whether the signatures are secretarial or Anson's. Unlike index cards and baseballs, Anson's personal Chicago City Clerk stationary isn't something that can bought at a dime store.

Old 05-19-2006, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

I am big into autographs as many of you know, but do not usually try to authenticate items for other people as it gets sort of dicey. I have handled thousands of pre-war signatures and my personal opinion is that both Anson signatures are Secretarial. I could be proven wrong but that would be my opinion. Anson signed in a VERY choppy and dramatic up and down stroke as evidenced by the top two signatures which come to points on almost up and down stroke of the pen. I have seen very little variation in this from the decades spanning his playing days through his death, most true signatures look similar in the way he signed. Both your examples are flowing and hardly come to a stop anywhere. It would also not be uncommon for secretaries or those with government authority to sign for Anson on just about anything whether it had the stamp on it or not.

I just sold a similar Joshua L. Chamberlain Civil War era document which was secretarially signed but still desirable. It is a nice piece but as an autograph collector of this type of material for years, my opinion is that both are secretarial. I could be proven though as I am not an authenticator.

Old 05-19-2006, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: karl

This would mean that Topps used one not signed by anson also?
This is the same of the back side one of mine, of course I'm not saying Topps isn't good either, Upperdeck had a problem as well.
I just don't trust any of these places who decide what is authentic or not.
For the most part while one said its authentic another sys its not.
I have had many item sent in, even send a few in twice and they passed the second time, What does that tell you? ha ha I don't believe these places know any more than we do.

Old 05-19-2006, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

(1) With vintage autographs, it will always be an authenticator's best guess -- we can't ask Cap, and even if he were here today, even he might not know for sure;
(2) A vintage autograph only has as much value as the value of the authenticator in the market in which the autograph would be sold. I like James Spence, and all my autographed T206 cards are authenticated by James Spence. If it turns out he was a fraud, the value of my autographed T206 cards would be zero until I got another respected authenticator to authenticate them.

Old 05-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Thanks for your replies. I decide after all to send to a authenticator,
and used GLOBAL AUTHENTICATION.
Even thou I got unhappy news to a few items being questionable and no good.
This service was 100% in the way the deal with people. They explained in full there finding to why items were found authentic, and or questionable in great detail, leaving you without any questions, or doubts.
What I was most happy with was the professional matter they take in explaining to someone who is dumbfound to what they are doing. I've only deal with 2 people personally from this service.

Justin Priddy is the head authenticator who I said was 100% helpful in all matter with my items, in explaining why certain items I sent were questionable

Danny Fisher, who I already knew from going to show summitting cards for grading. Who is always helpful and friendly, in giving you great customoer service.

I was very happy with my service and have a great outlook with this company.

Old 05-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Administrator

P.S.
Cap Anson was found to be a authentic signature on the back side. The front signature was found to not be Anson's.

Old 05-26-2006, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

It has a real Anson sig; which side it is on is not as much an issue as it being real. Congrats.

Old 05-26-2006, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Well at first I expect they were both his signature, on front and back, dual signature letter.
lol