NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-07-2017, 11:46 PM

Default any guess on how many 52 mantles exist??

hello all....

any good guesstimates on total 1952 mantles exist>????
Old 01-08-2017, 05:58 AM
Larry More.y

I was asked this question by an experienced 52 Topps collector, and I guessed nearly 10k. This collector pointed out that there were approximately 1400 PSA graded (who knows how many resubmits are in the 1400), approximately 425 SGC graded copies, and another 150 graded by BGS. So with approximately 1975 graded copies (less resubs and crossovers) of the most popular post war card out there, I was told that 10K was too high.....after thinking about it for a second, I agreed, as this card would likely have one of the highest percent of available copies graded.

More likely there were "originally" 10K copies out there/issued, but due to natural disasters, Mom's pitching their kids card collections (how my Uncle lost his 52 Mantle back in the day), etc, my guess is now that there are as many ungraded copies of this card out there as there are graded copies. I know at least several board members who have ungraded copies in their collections. Probably many more copies sit in non active collector's safe deposit boxes somewhere, while many others are still buried in the attic/basement of a non-collector waiting to be unearthed.

So my guess now is that 3500-4000 copies still exist with maybe 2500 total copies in the hands of active collectors or are for sale.

The SPs from the high series are obviously much scarcer than the Mantle.

Last edited by savedfrommyspokes; 01-10-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:11 AM

Default wow!

great info! I really appreciate it
Old 01-08-2017, 06:14 AM
D@le Irv*n

It's a million dollar question for a million dollar card.

Some recent postings have talked about the amount of 52's made and some new info on how many were available.

If you read some of these, you will see, even way back then, cards 311-407 were in demand and carried a premium.

I am not sure if the question will ever be answered now, but it does make for some interesting reading.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=233137
Old 01-08-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
I was asked this question by an experienced 52 Topps collector, and I guessed nearly 10k. This collector pointed out that there were approximately 1200 PSA graded (who knows how many resubmits are in the 1200), approximately 425 SGC graded copies, and another 150 graded by BGS. So with approximately 1775 graded copies (less resubs and crossovers) of the most popular post war card out there, I was told that 10K was too high.....after thinking about it for a second, I agreed, as this card would likely have one of the highest percent of available copies graded.

More likely there were "originally" 10K copies out there/issued, but due to natural disasters, Mom's pitching their kids card collections (how my Uncle lost his 52 Mantle back in the day), etc, my guess is now that there are as many ungraded copies of this card out there as there are graded copies. I know at least several board members who have ungraded copies in their collections. Probably many more copies sit in non active collector's safe deposit boxes somewhere, while many others are still buried in the attic/basement of a non-collector waiting to be unearthed.

So my guess now is that 3500-4000 copies still exist with maybe 2500 total copies in the hands of active collectors or are for sale.

The SPs from the high series are obviously much scarcer than the Mantle.
1775 grades. How many cards? 1000? 1200? Maybe even lower. I would say the majority of 52 Mantles are graded and in the hands of collectors. This isn't a card that someone is going to have and not know it. It is like the t206 Wagner. People know what they have. I would say 2000-2500 and maybe even lower depending on how many times these cards have been regraded.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:49 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
1775 grades. How many cards? 1000? 1200? Maybe even lower. I would say the majority of 52 Mantles are graded and in the hands of collectors. This isn't a card that someone is going to have and not know it. It is like the t206 Wagner. People know what they have. I would say 2000-2500 and maybe even lower depending on how many times these cards have been regraded.
It's unfortunate that cards that were resubmitted for bumps or crossovers weren't tracked better.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:54 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

This was a double print high series. Yes, the high series are less common, but even so there was double the Mantles vs every other non-dp. It was also Mantle, so kids would have held tighter to a player like this in comparison to a Joe shablotnik.

I think as collectors we fall prey to being too closed minded and blind to the rest of the world. The collectors that grabbed these in the 60s, 70s and even 80s and left the collecting world are often blind to a small knowledge of grading and even if they know, could care less. I say one can only hazard a guess and there are far more than anyone thinks. If I could just wave a wand and find them, there should be at least 6000 survivors. There are likely more than people know of now sitting in closets in Florida retirement communities.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:07 AM
D@le Irv*n

Sorry, a bit off topic, but do the first series prints carry any sort of a premium over the DP series?

There are noticeable differences with Mickey Mantle but not as noticeable with Robinson or Thomson.
http://bbcemporium.com/1952-topps-mi...terfeit-guide/
Old 01-08-2017, 07:22 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
This was a double print high series. Yes, the high series are less common, but even so there was double the Mantles vs every other non-dp. It was also Mantle, so kids would have held tighter to a player like this in comparison to a Joe shablotnik.

I think as collectors we fall prey to being too closed minded and blind to the rest of the world. The collectors that grabbed these in the 60s, 70s and even 80s and left the collecting world are often blind to a small knowledge of grading and even if they know, could care less. I say one can only hazard a guess and there are far more than anyone thinks. If I could just wave a wand and find them, there should be at least 6000 survivors. There are likely more than people know of now sitting in closets in Florida retirement communities.

How many raw ones have you seen in the last 15 years? I think I've seen a total of 1.

Love of the game uncovered a collection of almost every topps set, and was missing the Mantle. I'd think less than 60 are still out there, but it will forever be conjecture. The card has always been expensive, and with all the recent hype and huge prices, you'd have to be in the dark if you didnt realize you had one of the most expensive cards out there. The internet and tv has brought antiques and collectibles to the forefront of people trying to get rich quick.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 01-08-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:53 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

the real question is how many 'psa7-8' level ungraded copies are there out there.

paying 7000 for a card and there being 50 more of them out there is one thing

but paying 150k-400k and finding out there are 50 more more of them like that out there is another
Old 01-08-2017, 08:10 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
There are likely more than people know of now sitting in closets in Florida retirement communities.

I agree.....not long ago, my parents (who are in their mid 70s) asked me to take a look at a friend's childhood collection. In an old shoe box he had recently retrieved from his deceased mother's home, were several hundred 52-55 Topps cards. No, there was no 52 Mantle or other 52 HI#s, but there were 2 53 Mantles, 2 near complete runs of 55 Hi #s (no Clemente though), some 53 Hi#s and a number of semi stars and HOFers. Most of the cards were in the 5-6 range grade wise. This guy could not remember why he even collected 60+ years ago, but he thinks because his best friend at the time did, so he collected too. Even today this guy would not know the difference between Mickey Mantle and Mickey Grasso.

I could have offered him a few $100 for the box and he would have gladly taken it....since he is my parent's friend, he is now well advised as to what he has and will one day, when he is ready, consign on my recommendation.

The point is there are likely still a good number of $10k+ collections, with 52 Mantles, lurking out there in shoe boxes belonging to people who have no idea of their value, just like my parent's friend. Maybe the T cards finds have become few and far between, but early post war card finds will continue for years to come as they are possessed by those still alive original owners (unlike the T cards).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
As far as re-grades for bumps, this card would be one of the more unlikely candidates for this. Two reasons, first the cost. Second the fact that this card, more than any other post war card I can think of, experiences the more visually appealing (no matter the grade) copies of this card selling for premiums over the less appealing. Visually appealing "Authentic" copies of this card sell for more than some o/c 3s....to me, not worth spending the $700 for half a point and no added value as buyers have proved with this card, they will pay for the visual appeal over the grade.

While there are some examples for sure out there (I just have not seen any), I doubt that 500+ copies of 1775 total graded have been bumped and now have abandoned serial numbers showing up in the population reports.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:30 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
How many raw ones have you seen in the last 15 years? I think I've seen a total of 1
I've seen one raw one amongst just the people on this thread, lol.

Honestly one in 15 yrs? I have not paid attention, but quite a few. Granted a good percent of those were likely slabbed after but only if someone was planning on selling. I admit that I have bought tons of slabbed cards, but never put in a submission once.

Not everyone needs to use those services. If I like a card and do not plan on sellng I will keep it raw because I like it better. Many people are like that. I hate the ugliness of PSA holders, like the black surround of a SGC and feel that Beckett slabs are the most presentable of all. Saying that, I prefer the raw best.

I would grade if I was selling, but until then it waits. I have talked to many collectors, especially the long timers that are more than happy not grading. It's a reason I hold very little faith in population reports.

A true number of survivors will always be conjecture and opinion. I have a different opinion than most, but I do not feel the Mantle is rare at all other than in pristine form. Any card that can be found in multiples of 20+ any day of the week on ebay is not rare.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 01-08-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:40 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Not everyone needs to use those services. If I like a card and do not plan on sellng

As you mentioned All those people in retirement communities with Mantle's in their closets would plan on selling and need the money. My 90 yeard old grandmother knows the value of baseball cards through tv and the Internet.

I agree that people saved Ruth and Mantle anything, but I just cant see that many people collecting expensive baseball cards, still having them and not knowing about them. The last big find of 52s was 1986, almost 30 years ago! Any "new to market" or "recently found" Mantles would have so much hype around it, we'd be the first community to hear.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:51 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Difference in generational perspectives.

In a less selfish generation they do not sell items like this even if they know the value unless desperate. If you did your retirement planning right, you pass items like that to children or grandchildren or it is found later...much like 7 examples of an actual incredibly rare card of Ty Cobb you kept in a paper bag in your junk room.

It's fine to have a differing opinion. I know mine is different than most and I am comfortable with that.

Last edited by JustinD; 01-08-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:02 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Difference in generational perspectives.

In a less selfish generation they do not sell items like this even if they know the value unless desperate. If you did your retirement planning right, you pass items like that to children or grandchildren or it is found later...much like 7 examples of an actual incredibly rare card of Ty Cobb you kept in a paper bag in your junk room.

It's fine to have a differing opinion. I know mine is different than most and I am comfortable with that.
I am right there with you on your opinion on the 52 Mantle and graded cards.

I did however recently send in my first submission that was for cards I intend to keep. I bought a higher end complete 59 Fleer Ted Williams set. I like to look at and fondle my cards on a regular basis so I did it to protect the cards from myself. I am one of those guys who can ding all 4 corners just putting them in a penny sleeve.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:02 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

To quote ocean's 12

"I'll be bouncing my last check"

Understable about genrational differences, but many of the elderly I speak to have gone through great lengths to help their children already. From simple tuition, to foreclosures and bankruptcies, it seems like grown ass adults are leaning more and more on their parents. It doesnt bother me either way, I hope many are discovered. It might correct the pricing trend. Although I think the signed ones are extremely limited, I can always hope!

Old 01-08-2017, 09:04 AM
Matt

Quote:
TIt was also Mantle, so kids would have held tighter to a player like this in comparison to a Joe shablotnik.
Because the Mantle would have been handled so much, more odds in my opinion that they were either lost to time or are now extremely worn beaters.

Bottom line, no one knows, yet one thing I can offer for certain to the discussion is that there are indeed many phantoms in the pop reports. I personally know many guys who have cracked or crossed over the card. Yes, it was very valuable in whatever holder it originally sat in, but the profit motive tied to the next bump up is incentive enough for many to play that game. In fact, there are many Mantle cards that have been graded several times per card, inflating the population. By how much precisely, again, impossible to say.

I only go by the population reports, because they are the only actual data (however flawed by crackouts and crossovers) that we have. People's opinions on what is out there raw can just vary so wildly. Plus, there is no telling when or if raw cards will be found and brought to grading-- and this is definitely a card the risk averse will want to buy graded. So rather than waiting for Godot, I gotta go with what is known.

One last thing I can say for certain is that precious few examples of the Mantle have no tilt and good centering. For the collector who abhors tilt and likes centering, the card poses a challenge that is belied by the sheer pop numbers.

Last edited by MattyC; 01-08-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:37 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Mr. Mint's 1952 Topps find (1986)

http://www.psacard.com/articles/arti...-baseball-find

Larry
Old 01-08-2017, 02:33 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
Mr. Mint's 1952 Topps find (1986)

http://www.psacard.com/articles/arti...-baseball-find

Larry
Thanks Larry.

Although I believe I have read that story before, I don't recall reading about the John Rutherford card?
That is something I wasn't aware of but answers my questions why I seen such a high grade (7-8) fetch very large money$$$!

I can't see it on my card but I will have to pull it to have a closer look under a magnifying light that I own.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg John Rutherford.jpg (78.5 KB, 350 views)
Old 01-08-2017, 05:29 PM
Ben W.hitener

My dad had three 52 Mantles and tossed them in college. That should help the calculation
Old 01-08-2017, 05:45 PM
Brandon Bailey

There are thousands of mantles out there, if you go to any big show you still see plenty of them although in the past few years I do feel they are lower grade than in the past. 52 topps mantle has always been a supply side issue, too much demand and not enough supply. Most people I know who have mantles got them all before grading was common, and none of them have gotten them graded.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBailey View Post
There are thousands of mantles out there, if you go to any big show you still see plenty of them although in the past few years I do feel they are lower grade than in the past. 52 topps mantle has always been a supply side issue, too much demand and not enough supply. Most people I know who have mantles got them all before grading was common, and none of them have gotten them graded.
But how many upgraded ones do you see? We know how many are graded, but we don't know how many have been regraded. I think that it is one of the most regraded cards in the hobby. The value of the card plus the value added by a bump make the cost of regrading small.

The 1952 high numbers are scarce and went to very few parts of the country. I just don't see there being many unknown copies out there and I doubt that there are many high graded ones upgraded.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:04 PM
Mike Dugan

I live in a town of under 50,000 and have been collecting since the early 1970s. I know of three gentlemen here in town that own 1952 Topps Mantles and none of these fellows are collectors.

Decades ago I posted ads wanting to buy cards which met with little success but on one occasion I was asked to look at one of these fellows childhood collection. Many 52s including a Mantle. Over the years through my baseball history research people have brought their cards to me to ask what they are worth. Thus the other two Mantles. None are graded, one resides in a top holder the other two in plastic sheets.

If my average sized southern town has three ungraded that I know of there must be thousands out there nationwide. I think the number of ungraded will dwindle when these are passed to heirs who discover their value. All three of these men know the approximate value and could care less. They belong to their youth and have tremendous sentimental value.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
the real question is how many 'psa7-8' level ungraded copies are there out there.

paying 7000 for a card and there being 50 more of them out there is one thing

but paying 150k-400k and finding out there are 50 more more of them like that out there is another
It seems to me Jake has identified the most crucial question in this discussion. There might be "a ton" of ungraded 1952 Topps Mantles, but come on, do you really think their technical grades would come out that high? Remember all those stories you've heard in your life about someone saying, "I'm sure it will grade MINT, or at the very least "NEAR MINT - MINT". Then it's graded by PSA or SGC and ....

Not to re-route this discussion one whit, but there was the most staggering exception that occurred some time last year. PSA's Joe Orlando put up a scan in his "Joe's Tweets" of a card that had just come through their grading mill---the second PSA 10 GEM MINT 1953 Topps #82 Mickey Mantle. To think that significant card had been a heretofore unique 1 of 1 for over 20 years, and now a still minuscule 1 of 2. The pair are nevertheless extremely valuable, and with a POP of only 2 at that level, the price point is still stratospheric. Be that as it may, I would imagine when the owner of the first '53 Gem Mint Mick saw Joe's Tweet, it was not "sweet" news to him.

Even the most crusty dinosaurs who have a "nice" ungraded '52 Topps Mickey will have had to have noticed the boo coo bucks being earned by other owners of said card ALL involved professionally-graded specimens. If they refuse to acknowledge the obvious, let's hope for their sake they do not wait until death or dementia overtakes them. At least with the Lucky 7 Ty Cobb find, there was a very happy ending for the family of the original owner of the cards. "Twas not always the case ....

---Brian Powell
Old 01-09-2017, 04:11 AM
Ne@l K

All I know is that is most likely will never exist in my collection

The card of cards, imo

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 01-09-2017, 07:23 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
It seems to me Jake has identified the most crucial question in this discussion. There might be "a ton" of ungraded 1952 Topps Mantles, but come on, do you really think their technical grades would come out that high? Remember all those stories you've heard in your life about someone saying, "I'm sure it will grade MINT, or at the very least "NEAR MINT - MINT". Then it's graded by PSA or SGC and ....

Not to re-route this discussion one whit, but there was the most staggering exception that occurred some time last year. PSA's Joe Orlando put up a scan in his "Joe's Tweets" of a card that had just come through their grading mill---the second PSA 10 GEM MINT 1953 Topps #82 Mickey Mantle. To think that significant card had been a heretofore unique 1 of 1 for over 20 years, and now a still minuscule 1 of 2. The pair are nevertheless extremely valuable, and with a POP of only 2 at that level, the price point is still stratospheric. Be that as it may, I would imagine when the owner of the first '53 Gem Mint Mick saw Joe's Tweet, it was not "sweet" news to him.

Even the most crusty dinosaurs who have a "nice" ungraded '52 Topps Mickey will have had to have noticed the boo coo bucks being earned by other owners of said card ALL involved professionally-graded specimens. If they refuse to acknowledge the obvious, let's hope for their sake they do not wait until death or dementia overtakes them. At least with the Lucky 7 Ty Cobb find, there was a very happy ending for the family of the original owner of the cards. "Twas not always the case ....

---Brian Powell
Another issue is if your house burns down, its a heck of a lot easier to prove the value of a PSA graded psa 7 card versus a card you are saying 'is mint' to the insurance company. You would think at least for insurance reasons the card would get graded especially if its a high end card..
Old 01-09-2017, 07:56 AM

Default great input everyone!!

might be 2x more ungraded than graded....

assuming there are almost 1700 graded examples, less regraded, maybe 1500 true graded examples....

1500x2=3000+ 1500=4500??

4500????????? total left out there graded and ungraded??????
Old 01-09-2017, 07:56 AM

Default maybe a range is better.....

1700-4500????
Old 01-09-2017, 11:55 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
I think my stance on that was pretty clear in post 12 when I put -

"I have a different opinion than most, but I do not feel the Mantle is rare at all other than in pristine form."

Yes, in pristine it's crazy rare, but still not as rare as tons of other cards like Rutherford. There are only three 10's, but there are still 10s. I think those owners are likely all high level collectors that got them from the Mr. Mint find already brought up. I doubt there are many, if any, 9 or 10s in non-collector hands. Maybe an attic find someday like black swamp, but it's pretty unlikely. The hidden cards are likely low or mid grades that were purchased or well played with years ago.

My point is that if at any time between Ebay, shops and auction houses (and even leon's on this site) I can find 40+ examples daily. How can that be a rare card unless every one is selling theirs every two weeks? Even throwing the large number of cards being sold daily to the wind, there are still more PSA 10's of Mantle than every other card in the set.

Last edited by JustinD; 01-09-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:17 PM
Justin

There's still tons of raw stuff out there. How much, who knows. I have a friend with a pretty nice 52 Mantle that has had it since the 70's, ungraded and doesn't need to sell it. There are still plenty of old school set collectors with cards in binders. I don't have the 52 set, but I do have nice 53, 54 and 56 sets in binders with no desire to grade them. A co-worker once brought in a shoebox of Leaf cards to show me (multiple Ruths, Robinsons, Williams, Musials, etc.) that he inherited from his grandpa. They were sentimental to him so he didn't want to sell any. I know a local show dealer that sells only raw cards (pre-war to 50's). He doesn't like computers so I guess all his inventory is "unknown to the hobby". These examples are just in my little bubble so there has to be a lot more out there...

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 01-09-2017, 02:45 PM
Jeremy W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
How many raw ones have you seen in the last 15 years? I think I've seen a total of 1.

Love of the game uncovered a collection of almost every topps set, and was missing the Mantle. I'd think less than 60 are still out there, but it will forever be conjecture. The card has always been expensive, and with all the recent hype and huge prices, you'd have to be in the dark if you didnt realize you had one of the most expensive cards out there. The internet and tv has brought antiques and collectibles to the forefront of people trying to get rich quick.
The collection that LOTG auctioned had the '52 Mantle.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:54 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyW View Post
The collection that LOTG auctioned had the '52 Mantle.
My mistake, so how many new ones have come to auction in the last few years? You'd think with these kinds of prices, they'd be coming out of the woodwork.

Also, what's the point of people asking the value of their collections, who aren't looking to sell? 30 Mantles and 187 Mays cards...how many more MAYS cards are out there!

I don't think the card is scarce by any means, but I don't see thousands of them lurking in collections.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:28 PM
Jeremy W.

My guess, & it's only a guess, is that there are thousands of the '52 Mantles ungraded. I don't know if it's 5K or 20K, but they're out there. I'm not saying this to diminish their value. I think that demand would still outweigh supply well enough for the value to continue to increase.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:58 PM
Ted Zanidakis

OK guys, here are my two Mickey Mantle's from my master 1952 TOPPS set (near complete....526/555 cards....need 29 mid-series Graybacks)

Oh my goodness ! ..... They're ungraded.

......Type 1 .................................................. .................................................. ..... Type 2

TED Z

Most of you guys who know me, know I'm not a fan of graded cards. And, it may surprise you to know there are other collectors in the hobby with ungraded 1952 TOPPS
sets. So, good luck in trying to figure out the Mantle population....it's nearly impossible.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:30 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
OK guys, here are my two Mickey Mantle's from my master 1952 TOPPS set (near complete....526/555 cards....need 29 mid-series Graybacks)

Most of you guys who know me, know I'm not a fan of graded cards. And, it may surprise you to know there are other collectors in the hobby with ungraded 1952 TOPPS
sets. So, good luck in trying to figure out the Mantle population....it's nearly impossible.
Very nice cards Ted ....not sure if you have mentioned before, but did you pull both copies from packs yourself?

Best of luck on those last 29 cards.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:07 AM
Rob

If this has been covered I apologize. A kid who collected and pulled a '52 Mantle from a pack was most likely born between 1937 and 1946 (meaning he was between 6 and 15 years of age). Those men are now 71-80 years old. It is just a sad fact that we are in the era that large numbers of that era will begin to pass away. We may find an influx of '52 Mantles as homes, attics, and collections are cleared out due to their passing. I don't mean to be morbid, especially since I'm getting older myself, but just something I thought might be a consideration.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:22 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:

lol, I didn't want to call you out Ted in my defense of the ungraded population. I knew you would pop in eventually.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:50 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurri17 View Post
If this has been covered I apologize. A kid who collected and pulled a '52 Mantle from a pack was most likely born between 1937 and 1946 (meaning he was between 6 and 15 years of age). Those men are now 71-80 years old. It is just a sad fact that we are in the era that large numbers of that era will begin to pass away. We may find an influx of '52 Mantles as homes, attics, and collections are cleared out due to their passing. I don't mean to be morbid, especially since I'm getting older myself, but just something I thought might be a consideration.
I agree that many copies of this card will soon be "discovered" over the next 20 years.....my guess is most of these cards will be of the lower grade variety (3's and less). It will be interesting to see once these long hidden copies come to market, how many will be graded. It can be easily tracked ....

This card is so iconic, that even a gradual "influx" over the next 15-20 years will unlikely have a negative influence on the prices that this card realizes.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:

Yes, in pristine it's crazy rare, but still not as rare as tons of other cards like Rutherford. There are only three 10's, but there are still 10s. I think those owners are likely all high level collectors that got them from the Mr. Mint find already brought up. I doubt there are many, if any, 9 or 10s in non-collector hands. Maybe an attic find someday like black swamp, but it's pretty unlikely. The hidden cards are likely low or mid grades that were purchased or well played with years ago.

My point is that if at any time between Ebay, shops and auction houses (and even leon's on this site) I can find 40+ examples daily. How can that be a rare card unless every one is selling theirs every two weeks? Even throwing the large number of cards being sold daily to the wind, there are still more PSA 10's of Mantle than every other card in the set.
I know the OP concerns a guess as to how many 52 Topps Mantles exist. You speak well that in pristine it's crazy rare, but your thrust focuses on the idea the card is not "rare". Threads and in-person "discussions" have taken place on this matter for decades. The arguments were hot and heavy:

It's a double-printed card.

It should not be worth more than the real rookie, the '51 Bowman.

It's not like Mantle was that good; a bunch of guys have hit more home runs than Mantle. If he'd taken better care of himself, the big dummy, ....

I need not remind what the first post-war card was to sell at a public auction for 7 figures? Yes, most of us don't know about the private sales. Maybe the '51 Bowman PSA 10 did transact for seven figures first. But what does it matter now? A PSA 8.5 1952 Topps Mantle sold for over 7 figures.

Amazing.

This talk about Rutherford's rarity is pointless. I know Johnny played for the Brooks, but beyond that, his card is pure common. The hobby has changed, because the price point of ultra-high grade examples from '52 Topps has made collecting that set impossible for all but a very, very, very select few collectors. There are guys who will work to build a '52 Dodgers team set, but at what grade can they afford?

In the final analysis, the sheer demand for Mickey Mantle cards, particularly his 1952 Topps, will trump everything anyone has to say to argue about the real merits of other cards in the landmark 1952 Topps set. The supply for that beauty is high, but the demand goes on all day long, out the door and around the block, across the street, and clear out of town.

I wish I had mine back.

It's all good, bro. I do distinctly recall in about 1980-81 when it was discovered Mickey, Jackie, and Bobby were each double-printed, in order for the sheet to comprise to the right number. A key star from each New York team was chosen, Topps's biggest market. Dr. Beckett promptly cut their current values in half. Within months, or perhaps days, sellers ignored the "guide" and charged more for Mick. The buyers for that beautiful card were now sprouting like spring dandelions. They didn't care they were being charged more than "guide", and the quotes are meant to emphasize the guide nature of a guide price. They WANTED THAT CARD---NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

It's oh so true, the finds of cards in the future involving raw collections--unless the cards were preserved with the tools of our trade that work, their technical grades will be no better than high mid-grade.

The only chance of ultra-high grade cards coming out of the woodwork would be some from Mr. Mint's Find, providing they took care of it again (I.E. and NOT put them in a four-screw acrylic holder, and screwed down AS FAR AS THEIR STRENGTH WOULD ALLOW), or original unopened wax packs, a box, or the impossible---another case.

Sometimes I think we dream too much. Lots of fun, though. OK, time to shut up.

All the best, with respect, bro. ----Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 01-10-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:57 AM
Greg C
Greg Cir.uln.ick

I would estimate there are exactly 214 ungraded 1952 Topps Mantles in existence. I used a very advanced algorithm to arrive at this number and it is irrefutable.

I can't get into details on how the math works as the formula is currently being sold to NASA but trust me, it's accurate. All I can say is it is based on absolutely nothing.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:28 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregC View Post
I would estimate there are exactly 214 ungraded 1952 Topps Mantles in existence. I used a very advanced algorithm to arrive at this number and it is irrefutable.

I can't get into details on how the math works as the formula is currently being sold to NASA but trust me, it's accurate. All I can say is it is based on absolutely nothing.
It doesnt look like the influx of cards that Mr. Mint found hurt the hobby and those were a ton of cards relative to the number known in the hobby..

The 1952 Mantle is the iconic card of the set. I do think most of the cards in the set will lose value over time (1952 Common PSA 8s have been dropping ) but its the key card. There are many sets that are not desirable that the 'key' card continues to rise. The 1916 Ruth M101 comes to mind, or certain Leaf cards. The Michael Jordan rookie is really the only card people want in his rookie set etc.

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 01-10-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:47 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
All the best, with respect, bro. ----Brian Powell
No worries Brian!

I am just debating in good fun, thanks for adding.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:57 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
The Michael Jordan rookie is really the only card people want in his rookie set etc.
The rest was good, but wholly disagree on that. For the basketball collectors that eschew the Star issues, that 86 set is chock full of rookies. Without Jordan, it sells ungraded between 400 and 700. That is insane for an 80's set.

The high grades of the checklist card go for 2 to 3k and PSA 10's of the star cards regularly break four figures. My son is a big basketball collector and that set is 52' Topps for them.

Last edited by JustinD; 01-10-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:43 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Default How many '52 Mantles?

This sounds like a good job interview question from one of those new, high tech companies. I've seen some like "How many piano tuners are in Chicago?" or "How many gallons of water would fit in the Empire State Building?"

No one could reasonably know the answer, but the interviewer gets a chance to see the applicant's problem solving skills given limited knowledge and time.

So what do we know:
Approximately 1775 Micks have been graded by the major TPGs.
Some of those 1775 are re-grades, so the number of cards is somewhat less than 1775, maybe 10-20% less
Mick is a DP, so there were twice as many of him as most other high #s
Mick has always been highly collected - does this mean that more of his cards survived than the other high #s? or were they more 'well-loved' and therefore wore out faster and more likely to be thrown away? I'd guess that a larger percentage of his cards survived than other high numbers.
There are about 3-4 times more Mantles graded (on PSA) than most other '52s
Lots of 'speculative comments' above: Three in a town of 50,000 folks (would equate to ~19,200 at that rate for the US), only seen one ungraded copy in last few years, etc

The real unknown is the number of ungraded copies. Given the fact that it is a DP and maybe saved at a higher rate than other high #s, I'd guess the number is maybe two - three times the number of graded ones. Let's say 2.5.

So, 1750 * 0.8 (20% regrade) = 1400
1400 (graded) + 1400 * 2.5 (ungraded) = 4900

As time goes on, that number will only grow smaller as some are lost, destroyed by fire, flood, etc. Any copies that are found are already accounted for in the 'ungraded' category. And newly graded ones will just go from ungraded to graded, giving us better information on how many exist.

Of course, if you subscribe to the 'Wisdom of Crowds', then just have everyone give an estimate and average the numbers (taking out any obvious outliers).
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 01-10-2017, 01:03 PM
Matt

Here's a related question I've personally always wondered about the 1952 Topps Mantle-- how many are perfectly centered? It was interesting to read the linked Rosen Find article and see how both Fogel and Rosen mentioned the centered examples.

Gotta wonder if those printing machines shook a lot back then, or perhaps the man at the machine kept a flask on him at all times, lol.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:10 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
This sounds like a good job interview question from one of those new, high tech companies. I've seen some like "How many piano tuners are in Chicago?" or "How many gallons of water would fit in the Empire State Building?"
lol, you are correct. This is totally a Fermi Question.

Last edited by JustinD; 01-10-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:39 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Very nice cards Ted ....not sure if you have mentioned before, but did you pull both copies from packs yourself?

Best of luck on those last 29 cards.

Savedfrommyspokes,

Thanks....I've been searching for those 29 mid-series Graybacks for approx. 20 years.

The Type 2 card of Mantle in my set I acquired when I got back into the hobby since 1977.

In the Fall of 1952, I opened up a 1952 TOPPS Hi# waxpack to find these 5 cards......

TED Z
Old 01-10-2017, 01:57 PM

Default great posts everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TOM J!!!!

did you see my post above???? similar to your calculation

our reasoning was almost exactly the same

I would say 5000 total population is a reasonable guess
Old 01-10-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:

......Type 1 .................................................. .................................................. ..... Type 2

TED Z

Nice Ted. I think I tend to agree with you. In an SCD article they had mentioned that Bowman was producing 200,000,000 1951 Bowman cards prior to the issuance of Topps 1952 set.....that's 600,000+ per card.

Z
Old 01-10-2017, 09:20 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Here's a related question I've personally always wondered about the 1952 Topps Mantle-- how many are perfectly centered?
As an engineer, I can say definitively, zero.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)