NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-20-2007, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Default Rick, is this a "Woodcut"?

Posted By: Steve Murray

Keefe and Ewing from 1888 Harpers.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

They are woodcuts. More specifically are wood-engravings, which is a type of woodcut.

Any picture, baseball or non-sport, in a Pre-1890 Harper's Weekly is a woodcut.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick McQuillan

Steve, Nice woodcut. I guess one of the reasons that I enjoy the woodcuts is because of the way that they were made. David is the expert on these, but from what I understand, the images were engraved, by hand, backwards, on a block of wood, then the wood block was used to print the images.
For someone like me who has no artistic talents, I can't image the amount of time and patience that it would take to make one of these.

David, am I correct on this process?

Rick

Old 05-22-2007, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

Does this item have any value. I have no intentions of selling it but am curious as to what it may be worth. Thanks

Old 05-22-2007, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I would say around $50.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Rick is correct. The design was cut by hand (or hand held tools) into a block of wood and that block of wood was used to print the images. Cutting into wood is difficult (wood is physically hard, after all) and it could take up to two weeks to make a large wood block. This was before computer scanners and half tone 'dots' printing. All magazine picture printing plates were done by hand.

Woodcut prints have been made centuries. Probably the most famous and technically gifted woodcut printer was the 15th/16th century German artist Albrecht Durer, and you can see a lot of his art online. Modern artists like Picasso and Salvador Dali also made woodcuts.

The difference between a woodcut and a wood-engraving is the way the designs were cut into the wood. Wood-engraving used a harder wood and different tools to create finer more detailed designs. This is not something the collector has to memorize, as a wood-engraving is a type of woodcut and can be and often is called a woodcut.

One of the hallmarks of woodcut printing is, due to the grain and eneveness of the wood, you can't make large areas of solid ink. You'll notice in the above print, there are no large areas of solid ink. Even the dark areas have fine lines put in by the craftsman. Without these lines, the grain and unevenness of the wood appear in dark areas. Some modern artists like the wood grain and leave it in.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Administrator

David- I always assumed an engraving was a slightly higher quality process, and a woodcut would have more likely been used for mass production. Does that make sense?

Old 05-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mr. moses

way more knowledgeable than I however I would expect that your answer is partially right anyway. Engraving was a more labor intensive process both in creation and subsequent production and required more steps and different tools hence greater costs. The resultant image however looks better in utilizing the more sophisticated engraving techniques (even more intensive AND expensive were copper and later steel engravings). The problem is that the longevity of the above copper and steel plates declines with each pass or printing of the image..... The wood cut and wood engraving surfaces last much longer as the surface area remains flat. The more the image surface to be transferred is preserved; the more complete prints it can produce; therefore production would be best served aesthetically by any engraving but in terms of the number of images either wood cuts or wood engraving could make many more un-degraded images.... I almost deleted this. Probably should have. Why post when there's someone out there with more knowledge? Lots of psychoanalysts in Barry's neighborhood. If I ever get back to NY perhaps he will make me an appointment......

Old 05-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Just see me instead...and I won't charge you a nickel

Old 05-22-2007, 11:43 PM
Administrator

What Henry says is correct. You can't make as many engravings and etchings as you can woodcuts, as the metal engraving and etching plate surfaces wear down.